The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-18-2017, 03:50 PM
dosboot's Avatar
dosboot dosboot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,284
Default Communication is quite hard lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
Communication generally is quite hard lately. I mean like... uh 15-20 years ago, people seemed to be much more willing to communicate on the internet than they are today. I found Reddit to be pretty communicative lately, but the rating system really ruins it, because it forces you to pretend you share the common opinions, because you if you wrote something like "I like Unlimited Saga" it's downvoted so badly that it will become "Hidden because of inappropriate content" within a day.

Last time I only said "I personally think neither turn-based nor action combat is the best, but instead a hybrid between results in the best battle systems." and that like turned into my most downvoted reddit post ever. I don't even know why (I assume because both turn-based and action combat fans downvoted it).

I also tried to go via thematic forums, but it's actually not so easy to find actual fans of unpopular stuff. What happened to all those fan circles and shrines anyway?

In the end it's still hard for me not to get sad or angry about other opinions. Sure, I can learn to just deal with it and not react aggressively publically, but the inner feeling doesn't change because of that. Pretty sure others have the same problem, after all they wouldn't attack back or downvote if it didn't make them angry / sad.

Phew, now I wrote quite a bit about that after all.

tl;dr - I need to find a better way to find people to communicate with.
I would agree: personal communication on the internet is definitely harder today than before. For gaming, I think 10 or 12 years ago people knew a lot less about games and were communicating to share information. No one knew everything. To a greater degree, you didn't know about as many people's experiences, didn't know all the old and new games you weren't paying attention to, and you didn't know what was interesting about everything.

So when people were talking about games it naturally involved sharing thoughts and experiences (or even tips/secrets) that you hadn't heard about before. It felt more valuable than now because it was harder to find. The conversation brought the two parties closer in some sense, which makes it more entertaining to toss comments back and forth with that person over the course of days and weeks.

The speed of communication is different now, and that has destroyed that stimulus to communicate and the familiarity it engendered with the other participants.

At any given moment the information database at our fingertips is deeper than before and it generates itself more quickly in response to the offline world. Like, everyday there is going to be an article or website that aggregates public opinion and experiences on new developments, from launch hype to metacritic scores to "Overwatch's Skill Rating System Is Busted For Healers". There were no Youtube videos before either.

The person-to-person communication has diminished in response to all that.

Reddit and Twitter in themselves are also outright bad for this kind of communication. Mobile devices might also be a factor, because when you're on a mobile device you possess maybe half the willingness and half the ability to communicate the same volume of text.

~

I also sense something else coming from your post. I wonder if people are more hostile to opinions outside the consensus than before.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-18-2017, 04:01 PM
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is offline
is Earnest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
I also sense something else coming from your post. I wonder if people are more hostile to opinions outside the consensus than before.
Absolutely. People love to say that X is the consensus opinion about a thing and then rest their argument. This thing is bad because everyone says it's bad, and regardless of your reasons for disagreeing, you are wrong because everyone agrees that you're wrong. Like, the conversation is already over. The goal isn't to have an interesting conversation or actually consider a work, it's to get to the consensus as quickly as possible and then use it to beat everyone else down.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Isrieri's Avatar
Isrieri Isrieri is offline
Serial Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio, Land of the Dead
Posts: 2,029
Default

I was going to post my opinion on the subject, but it's kind of pointless.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-18-2017, 11:45 PM
Googleshng's Avatar
Googleshng Googleshng is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 15,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
Reddit and Twitter in themselves are also outright bad
Neither of those is designed as a venue to have a conversation, is the thing. Twitter's UI is basically built around people making announcements or delivering quick jokes which then get amplified and passed around. Reddit is just 4chan wearing that fancy dress shirt and tie Grandma gave it. Back in the Good Old Days, their equivalents would be personal blogs/PR pages for Twitter, 4chan amd maybe random unmoderated no login required forums for Reddit, with any real communication happening on boards like this, or IRC. Which are still things, and supplemented by shinier new toys like discord and slack.

AIM's shutting down 3rd party apps though, and that one kinda stings.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-2017, 12:25 AM
Ludendorkk's Avatar
Ludendorkk Ludendorkk is offline
Chief Servbot
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Lima, OH
Posts: 1,873
Default

I dunno, this Feels like nostalgia googles to me. A lot of those old fan rings/blogs/whatever I posted in back in high school where just as much of a garbage fire as anything you'd find on Reddit. Hell you can go to GameFaqs right now and find a level of discourse that's been basically unchanged for nearly twenty years.

Another thing that I think goes underappreciated in this is that the audience for games has massively expanded since a lot of us were young. Communities are larger and less restricted to niche interests then they once were and so if you're looking for a small number of people they can be harder to find in the crowds.

There is definitely a "medium is the message" problem with the way a lot of social platforms function though (Twitter being the most obvious one). I wonder if there if academic work available on this subject.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2017, 12:34 AM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
New Video World is out!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 14,579
Default

Oh that reminds me please remove the ability to rate threads as it adds nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-2017, 01:54 AM
Bleck's Avatar
Bleck Bleck is offline
Highway To HFIL
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
People love to say that X is the consensus opinion about a thing and then rest their argument. This thing is bad because everyone says it's bad, and regardless of your reasons for disagreeing, you are wrong because everyone agrees that you're wrong. Like, the conversation is already over. The goal isn't to have an interesting conversation or actually consider a work, it's to get to the consensus as quickly as possible and then use it to beat everyone else down.
see; star wars prequels
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-2017, 02:00 AM
Rya's Avatar
Rya Rya is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,655
Default

I really could talk a lot about communication, not everything is related to games, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60
Oh that reminds me please remove the ability to rate threads as it adds nothing.
Yeah, I pretty much dislike every rating system except for those that only allow positive feedback (e.g. "Liking a post").

Several Reddit subs actually make the downvote button invisible because of the issues mentioned above, but it really doesn't stop people from disabling the sub skin to be able to downvote again. I wonder where all this negative energy comes from.

The true failure in rating systems is that humans just seem to be unable to use them properly. If they really only downvoted inappropriate content and upvoting content of value, that would be great, but in reality, a one-sentence pointless comment like "Persona 5 is the best game ever!" results in hundreds of upvotes, while a large in-depth analysis explaining why you like an unpopular, still gets downvoted. Nothing stops the downvote rage, even if you add "This is just my opinion, I can understand if other people don't like it." at the end.

But just like with the communication issue in general, the true problem is not the rating system, but the mentality of humans. I'm just not sure how to "improve" that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Absolutely. People love to say that X is the consensus opinion about a thing and then rest their argument. This thing is bad because everyone says it's bad, and regardless of your reasons for disagreeing, you are wrong because everyone agrees that you're wrong. Like, the conversation is already over. The goal isn't to have an interesting conversation or actually consider a work, it's to get to the consensus as quickly as possible and then use it to beat everyone else down.
Yeah, that's definitely how it feels like for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk
I dunno, this Feels like nostalgia googles to me.
No, I really don't thing that it's this. The way things work on the internet has definitely changed.

There are probably a lot of reasons why humans have changed in that regard and dosboot mentioned a bunch of things already.

I find it hard to analyse due to the complexity, but compared to many years ago, it's definitely different.

People are less willing to talk in-depth about things. They are scared off by any longer posts. Even just finding friends has become really hard, because most people seem to be much more careful about who they want to talk with.

Maybe it's also partially the fault of getting older. Like, people my age usually have a family and no time to do anything time consuming like writing large posts in reply to other large posts. And younger people might be a bit more careful. I mean sometimes I even feel like everyone regards me as a threat just because of age difference (even when I just want to chat).

But still, communication in written form is really harder in general. Communication works a lot via popular opinion leaders these days rather than people using their own head to analyse their thoughts and write them down.

It's not actually impossible to improve that situation. A community that is willing can always put in some effort and become a better community.

There are some good rules that support communication, for example:

1. Never create list threads. List threads are threads where people always just list something (like "your favorite game"), but nobody actually reads or reacts to what someone else posted. It creates no fruitful communication, so they should just outright be banned. If anyone still create a list thread just post "list thread" as a reply. Don't give in and actually put effort into writing down your list nobody will ever care about anyway.

2. Never just post your opinion ever. Instead, always add a reason. Instead of saying "I like game X", write "I like game X, because Y". If you can't add a reason, posting your opinion is not worth it.

3. Always react to something someone else said in a thread, if you can provide anything useful to the discussion. Even going off-topic is encouraged, as long as it results in an interesting conversation and always reacts to something that was previously stated.

4. Split up quotes of posts you reply to. Instead of just quoting a whole post and react to it, quote each topic individually and react to it. This makes it easier to generate thoughts and write larger replies without feeling "Too much".

5. Never reply aggressively (or passive-aggressively) to an opinion you don't agree with. Instead, post counter-reasons. If you can't provide counter-reasons, don't post at all. Sometimes, not replying at all is the best reply.

Hmm, fine then, I already wrote so much, I'll take a break now.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 AM
Galadrome's Avatar
Galadrome Galadrome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Capital of Canada
Posts: 2,365
Default

I think I'm the youngest or one of the youngest on this forum and I don't understand how you folk all post so much. I rarely put any effort into my posts because I feel it isn't worthwhile. I don't so much feel an actual sense of community here, because I don't like engaging in actual discussion or conversation due to the effort I'd have to put in.

Which is my bad, of course. I feel that dosboot/Rya are on to something here.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Rya's Avatar
Rya Rya is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
I think I'm the youngest or one of the youngest on this forum and I don't understand how you folk all post so much. I rarely put any effort into my posts because I feel it isn't worthwhile. I don't so much feel an actual sense of community here, because I don't like engaging in actual discussion or conversation due to the effort I'd have to put in.

Which is my bad, of course. I feel that dosboot/Rya are on to something here.
Do you feel the sense of community somewhere else (on the internet I mean)?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Kirin's Avatar
Kirin Kirin is offline
Not a Beer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 19,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Neither of those is designed as a venue to have a conversation, is the thing. Twitter's UI is basically built around people making announcements or delivering quick jokes which then get amplified and passed around. Reddit is just 4chan wearing that fancy dress shirt and tie Grandma gave it. Back in the Good Old Days, their equivalents would be personal blogs/PR pages for Twitter, 4chan amd maybe random unmoderated no login required forums for Reddit, with any real communication happening on boards like this, or IRC. Which are still things, and supplemented by shinier new toys like discord and slack.
Yeah, twitter and reddit are both completely crap formats for having any kind of meaningful conversation. Back in the day my go-to place for real, in-depth discussions was LiveJournal, but welp. That kind of fell apart even before being sold to Russians, and I'm not entirely sure if it's due to things like twitter sucking up all the social networking oxygen as it were or other factors. Tumblr picked up a little of the LJ-like content in that you can make posts as long/complex as you like, but it's even worse crap for actual conversations than twitter, which is impressive.

Forums like this one seem like the best thing left for actually talking to each other, but it's a very different format from the essentially blog+convo setup of LJ.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
The true failure in rating systems is that humans just seem to be unable to use them properly. If they really only downvoted inappropriate content and upvoting content of value, that would be great, but in reality, a one-sentence pointless comment like "Persona 5 is the best game ever!" results in hundreds of upvotes, while a large in-depth analysis explaining why you like an unpopular, still gets downvoted. Nothing stops the downvote rage, even if you add "This is just my opinion, I can understand if other people don't like it." at the end.
Yup. The problem is they get used for "I like this / I don't like this" and "this is good content / bad content" at the same time, and those are completely orthogonal things. I feel like the ideal-world solution would be to have both like/dislike and valuable/inappropriate button pairs, but the odds that people would use them properly still seem slim. In any large enough community you'll both get people trying to game the system intentionally, which is practically impossible to prevent, and people just being confused by the intent of the interface.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-19-2017, 10:06 AM
Galadrome's Avatar
Galadrome Galadrome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Capital of Canada
Posts: 2,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
Do you feel the sense of community somewhere else (on the internet I mean)?
It's basically like it's there I just can't/don't properly access it. And on Facebook, yeah, but that's mostly memes or people I know IRL.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is offline
Is there not one thing
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
I think I'm the youngest or one of the youngest on this forum and I don't understand how you folk all post so much.
Posting (aka Poasting, aka Post's) is one of my hobbies. That's why I do it all the dang time.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-19-2017, 10:21 AM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is offline
Is there not one thing
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Forums like this one seem like the best thing left for actually talking to each other, but it's a very different format from the essentially blog+convo setup of LJ.
My wife's a subreddit mod and she's found that that the old LJ community feel carried over pretty well. There's even the big group > smaller subtopic group > tiny snark group hierarchy for whatever community you're in.

But a big piece of the LJ culture was that it was mostly women.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-19-2017, 10:27 AM
muteKi's Avatar
muteKi muteKi is offline
me want the puyopuyon
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Green chile cheeseburger capital of the world
Posts: 9,679
Default

private facebook groups are the web 2.0 version of mailing lists
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 AM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is offline
Is there not one thing
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
Maybe it's also partially the fault of getting older. Like, people my age usually have a family and no time to do anything time consuming like writing large posts in reply to other large posts. And younger people might be a bit more careful. I mean sometimes I even feel like everyone regards me as a threat just because of age difference (even when I just want to chat).
That's a safe policy. If I were 18-22 again and some guy nearly twice my age really wanted to have deep and searching conversations with me, I hope I would be really fuckin skeptical about his motives.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-19-2017, 12:33 PM
four-so's Avatar
four-so four-so is offline
All are Mr. Saturn
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
I don't so much feel an actual sense of community here, because I don't like engaging in actual discussion or conversation due to the effort I'd have to put in.
To the latter point, I agree depending on the context. I don't mind in-depth discussion but it isn't always necessary. Communication can be frivolous and acerbic. It doesn't always need to be ran through an intellectual colander and digested endlessly.

I'm also keenly aware that discussion can overstay its welcome. When a discussion evolves into argument (in the scholarly sense or in the "Fuck you, buddy!" sense) it isn't always worth the psychic investment. Once I have to reach for justification, it's time to tap out.

I have a theory that most people on the internet are really just talking to themselves anyway, but I digress.

To the former point about community, I agree but from a different viewpoint. I feel like a lot of my personality, especially my sense of humor*, is "lost in translation" when posting online. I do feel like I'm part of the community, just not part of the neighborhood. Most of Talking Time is in a subdivision, watering lawns, bandaging up each others kids, and waving to each other and shit. I'm on other side of the county, in a shack, in a heavily wooded area; part of the community but somehow not.

*I highly value irreverence, irony, exaggeration, excess, and I have a mind toward skewering holy cows. This can be hard to convey in online settings, and is sometimes outright unwelcome.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-19-2017, 12:46 PM
Galadrome's Avatar
Galadrome Galadrome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Capital of Canada
Posts: 2,365
Default

^that except I'm pumping iron and making maaaaaad gains.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-19-2017, 01:11 PM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
whatever it takes
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,902
Default

Kisses to whoever tagged "just wild beat"
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-19-2017, 01:29 PM
JBear's Avatar
JBear JBear is offline
Bertolli?!?...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada
Posts: 10,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Kisses to whoever tagged "just wild beat"


It's so nice when someone appreciates a joke that you were convinced would never be noticed.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-19-2017, 01:49 PM
Kirin's Avatar
Kirin Kirin is offline
Not a Beer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 19,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
My wife's a subreddit mod and she's found that that the old LJ community feel carried over pretty well. There's even the big group > smaller subtopic group > tiny snark group hierarchy for whatever community you're in.

But a big piece of the LJ culture was that it was mostly women.
Yeah I'm sure that didn't hurt.

I don't even have a reddit account and only visit there for a few specific things occasionally so I can't really speak to any of the cultures. I can see how in a small enough, well-moderated subreddit you could get a sense of community going and some good conversations. But it's still all a group feed, right?

One thing I miss from LJ is the sense of "here is my personal space, but other people connect to it". Somewhere in between a stand-alone blog and a forum community.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Galadrome's Avatar
Galadrome Galadrome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Capital of Canada
Posts: 2,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post


It's so nice when someone appreciates a joke that you were convinced would never be noticed.
GUNDAM
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-19-2017, 06:04 PM
Rivers's Avatar
Rivers Rivers is offline
Ruffian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Cabin in the Woods
Posts: 4,413
Default

Rya, I agree with a lot of what you've said, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
Never create list threads. List threads are threads where people always just list something (like "your favorite game"), but nobody actually reads or reacts to what someone else posted. It creates no fruitful communication, so they should just outright be banned.
I disagree with this one. I enjoy reading the "favorite game/movie/etc." threads because I'm interested in finding out what other members here like, and when something I'm unfamiliar with pops up on several lists I usually take the time to look into it. I've discovered some new favorites this way.

Same with the "What'cha Reading?" thread. I might not discuss things there, but I look for recommendations. It's especially helpful when someone gives a sentence or two about why they're enjoying/not enjoying a book. In this way, it's sort of a one-way communication instead of the back-and-forth you're looking for, but it's still valuable to me.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-19-2017, 07:01 PM
dosboot's Avatar
dosboot dosboot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,284
Default

I'm on both sides of this one. I like lists, and I like the occasions for creating plain lists, but there's clearly a time and place for when it is productive to post random games without any extra comment (which is not necessarily a 'list' in every sense of the word, but I believe Rya is referring to this too).

If someone asks for recommendations, but it is specifically worded like "what are the absolute essential games on this system?" then getting a list of a 100 games without any extra comment is the opposite of helpful. But if they don't ask it like that and it is just open ended, I think it would be normal (although decidedly less than ideal!) to post games without comments.

The same goes with discussion topics. If a topic asks a question, but the poster obviously put thought into stringing together several paragraphs, then it is kind of crude to post a one line response - i.e. replying to the thread title with the name of a game - and leave. Neogaf's community does this a lot, and I don't think it is a small minority who sees no value in it.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-20-2017, 12:47 AM
Rya's Avatar
Rya Rya is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,655
Default

Asking for recommendations is actually already a discussion and not a list thread, because at least two people communicate with each other here.

List threads are threads where every single post just stands for itself.

For example take the most generic list thread "Your favorite video game ever". You have one person posting "Valkyrie Profile", another one "Chrono Trigger", a third one "Killer 7" and a fourth one "Sonic 2". These people are actually not communicating with each other at all. People just go and post in these threads because it feels good to post something you like and it can be done with very little effort in those threads, but probably over 90% of the people won't even read the replies from the others. They just read the thread title, post their game and then leave the thread again. Don't tell me you've never done that. So such threads have no communicative value.

Even if there might be the benefit as Rivers said that you might see a title you haven't seen before and look it up and find a good game through that, in terms of creating a communicative community, such threads are very counter-productive.
Humans are lazy by default, if you don't gently force them to communicate, they just won't.

The same benefit and much more you could get if someone actually started a discussion about that favorite game of his. Then you won't only see a new game title you haven't seen before, but also see what people like about it and what they don't. And you can actually talk with others about it. It makes you feel much closer to these people. It makes you able to better understand those people's personalities like "Aha, this guy likes this and that, I should probably tell him he should check out that game". And so on.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-20-2017, 08:19 AM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
whatever it takes
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,902
Default

Pretty sure we can do without that "autism" tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
List threads are threads where every single post just stands for itself.

For example take the most generic list thread "Your favorite video game ever". You have one person posting "Valkyrie Profile", another one "Chrono Trigger", a third one "Killer 7" and a fourth one "Sonic 2". These people are actually not communicating with each other at all. People just go and post in these threads because it feels good to post something you like and it can be done with very little effort in those threads, but probably over 90% of the people won't even read the replies from the others. They just read the thread title, post their game and then leave the thread again. Don't tell me you've never done that. So such threads have no communicative value.
You are describing occurrences on forums other than Talking Time. We have a series of Top 50 Whatever threads that are creative and fun, and encourage discussion and participation from the community.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 AM
Rya's Avatar
Rya Rya is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,655
Default

There've been plenty list threads here too. Some are creative but I didn't see them encouraging discussions.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 AM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
whatever it takes
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,902
Default

I'm sorry you're dissatisfied. My point was that this particular complaint:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
1. Never create list threads. List threads are threads where people always just list something (like "your favorite game"), but nobody actually reads or reacts to what someone else posted. It creates no fruitful communication, so they should just outright be banned. If anyone still create a list thread just post "list thread" as a reply. Don't give in and actually put effort into writing down your list nobody will ever care about anyway.
is demonstrably untrue, as we have ample evidence on this forum that just because a thread contains or is centered around a list of things doesn't preclude worthwhile discussion about those things.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 AM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is offline
Is there not one thing
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
I'm sorry you're dissatisfied. My point was that this particular complaint:



is demonstrably untrue, as we have ample evidence on this forum that just because a thread contains or is centered around a list of things doesn't preclude worthwhile discussion about those things.
Yeah the top 50 threads are definitely not short on discussion. They may be short on discussion as Rya would prefer it happened, but that's down to personality.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is offline
Is there not one thing
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21,873
Default

Back in the 90s my posting gimmick was that I used the rhetorical structure of Cicero's Catilinarian Oratory. (Thank God the board I did this on has been nuked into non-existence.) Speaking from experience this took hours, resulted in nearly unreadable walls of text, and made me the single most hated person in that corner of the internet.

I don't recommend classical dialogues as a model for online gabbing, no.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
communication , conversations , dogs , internet , just wild beat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007