The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Find Your Reason

...ooooookay, judging by general opinion here and on Twitter, guess Little Kid Zef's disappointment at TaleSpin was right but for the wrong reason.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:21 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
...ooooookay, judging by general opinion here and on Twitter, guess Little Kid Zef's disappointment at TaleSpin was right but for the wrong reason.
Judging by the Megadrive version madhair played on his channel, the NES one is as least probably the best TaleSpin game.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:49 PM
TARANTUL

Yes, please.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:45 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
From what I've read, Ducktales 2 is a better realized, more complete execution of the first game's ideas. Its only sin is a forgettable soundtrack.
Granted that's compared to the original, which, come on, but still, ain't ever heard anyone humming one of the Ducktales 2 tracks.

Anyway, when I first saw this news hit my first thought was "They're doing Remastered versions of ALL the Disney Afternoon NES games? WHAAAAAAAAT" But then I saw it was a collection of the originals, not a WayForward collab like Ducktales Remastered was.

Which, y'know, is fine. I'm only a little disappointed but I guess I have to blame my own imagination and hopes.

I REALLY wish there was a Switch version because I want need to play this on the TeeVee and I don't own a PS4 or XBONE, but if there's no word at all of a potential Switch release by the time April 18th comes around I'll get it on Steam I suppose.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Come, noble knights!

The Ducktales remaster may not have won me over when it came out, but I'll definitely be getting this.

Quote:
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(It's sad Little Mermaid isn't there, but I think that cartoon was only on Saturday mornings, so)

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Got to save something for potential future Disney collections, right?

That said, dunno how much more they could do with Disney on the NES. Mickey Mousecapade was only published by Capcom, and both it and Adventures in the Magic Kingdom were lesser Disney games.

They do another one of these, I'm betting it'll be of the Magical Quest games on SNES and Super Famicom. Would be nice to have a localized version of 3 for something other than GBA.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:02 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Yup, it's Digital Eclipse; Cifaldi said as much on Twitter.
That's fantastic. I remember Frank Cifaldi saying that this was what they'd like to if Capcom was happy enough with the Mega Man Legacy Collection. I'm glad it worked out.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:14 PM
New Video World is out!

people are already comparing this legitimate re-release of games that haven't been re-released or collected since their original bow to the illegal downloading of roms and are declaring it not worth the money

it is twenty dollars for six games + bonus content

six games

bonus content

$19.99

for the love of shit why are gamers so awful
Old 03-15-2017, 03:16 PM
whatever it takes

You take your life into your own hands when you engage with gamer culture outside of Talking Time.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:17 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
people are already comparing this legitimate re-release of games that haven't been re-released or collected since their original bow to the illegal downloading of roms and are declaring it not worth the money

six games

bonus content

$19.99

Is probably five guys soapboxing on five separate accounts each just to feel slightly better about themselves.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:18 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
There's a parable about a farmer finding a viper that was hitching a ride on a scorpion's back to cross a river. All three drowned.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 PM
Spear of Justice

Guessing there's a pretty big overlap between people saying a retro compilation isn't worth actual money and people who've never played any of the featured games outside of glancing at them through an emulator for all of thirty seconds
Old 03-15-2017, 03:24 PM
Little Waves

Anyone trying to convince people that old games have value has their work cut out for them, but it's a battle worth fighting, and I'm glad Capcom and Digital Eclipse are keeping at it.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:09 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:

six games

bonus content

$19.99

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection has, like, nearly 50 games on it, brah.

More focused, high-quality collections with emphasis on accuracy (a la the later Sega Ages collections and the MM Legacy Collection) aren't really very distinct for the casual player from the lazy rom+emulator packs many of these products are, or a Hong Kong bootleg plug-n-play game with crap sound and composite-only video.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:10 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:

six games

bonus content

$19.99

It's like asking why the sun is warm, or why gravity points down.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:47 PM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
lazy rom+emulator packs
This is reducing the classic game to something you download and play for thirty seconds on NESticle. They deserve better. This sort of thing is why everyone fucking hates any game that doesn't fall into the first-party or cult classic criteria.

Boot up NES game for thirty seconds, man this fucking sucks, delete rom.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (besides sucking, being inaccurate, poorly designed and baffling in places such as no Sonic lock-on) contributes to the idea of classic games having no value because it's like hey, here's every Mega Drive game for forty dollars or whatever the fuck. Hey that's cool, I like having access to a shitload of Mega Drive games, but it does kind of raise expectations and reduce the perception of the value of these titles imho.

Having re-read your post I think I've slightly misinterpreted it, but I'm not editing this post because I simply can't be bothered. Yes, it would probably have taken more time to go back and edit it than to write this spiel about how I don't want to - that's something we're all just going to have to live with.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:12 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

As usual, this kind of thing is precisely my jam and I'm looking forward to it. April looks like it may be a busy month, after all.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:25 PM
I'm kind of over memes.

MM Legacy Collection was excellence and this is a no-brainer for me. I think it was a USGamer interview where Cifaldi mentioned wanting to do this? Good for Digital Eclipse.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

I never beat Darkwing Duck but I played it so much. And I am kind of glad I don't know how many hours I put into Chip and Dale.

Definitely getting this.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:29 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
I like having access to a shitload of...games, but it does kind of raise expectations and reduce the perception of the value of these titles imho.
Definitely agree with this. Bargains are awesome and all, but emulation and things like super cheap Steam sales and the mobile games front have done a lot to devalue games in the eyes of many. I see people complain about $10 for Earthbound or $15 for a PS2 RPG and I just don't get it.

Sure, it's not as cheap as free is, but if your response to companies selling emulated versions of old games is "I'ma just steal them" then these rereleases are not for YOU. They're for those of us who would love to play these games again or for the first time in an official capacity and at least pay somebody for the effort put into making or relicensing this game or these games.

And yes, I totally would pay money for Snatcher, Sweet Home, and Radical Dreamers if Konami, Capcom, and Square Enix would rerelease them in an official capacity (and officially in English for the latter two).
Old 03-15-2017, 09:46 PM
BAG

I'd pay $20 just for the museum of these games.

Any word on if this will have online Chip picking up and throwing Dale action?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:39 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Having re-read your post I think I've slightly misinterpreted it, but I'm not editing this post because I simply can't be bothered. Yes, it would probably have taken more time to go back and edit it than to write this spiel about how I don't want to - that's something we're all just going to have to live with.
Yeah, I thought I made it clear the first sentence was sarcastic with the rest of the post. :P

However, I think that Sega is to blame for that, too. On the one hand, they understand the concept of reproducing these games in ways that allow for accuracy, minimize input lag, and make them not look like garbage (M2's output). The Sega Vintage Collection is pretty great.

On the otherhand, they had the quick-and-dirty Backbone release that was SUGC and the trash AtGames Genesis retro console. They seem to think they can have it both ways.

I think that it's because Sega doesn't actually value their legacy or classic franchises much at all. Nintendo arguably has the opposite problem. Sega's arcade roots do unfortunately mean that a lot of their older titles are only meant to hold your attention for a short amount of time. Only the most devout retro fetishists will play Altered Beast more than once or twice a year.

Out of their classic franchises, only Sonic really endures. Phantasy Star underwent an evolutionary dead end, and can't even get its last new game localized. The Shining name means nothing. Shinobi's been dead since the PS2. Nobody at the corporate level knows what Streets of Rage even is.

Last edited by Andrew; 03-15-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:34 AM
Chief Servbot

I had hoped this would be it when Cifaldi started teasing a new collection but I hadn't let myself dare to dream

Anyways: Fuckkkkkkk yessssss

(Adventures in the Magic Kingdom got robbed though)

Also Rescue Rangers 1 --> Rescue Rangers 2 = Mega Man 1 --> Mega Man 2. Book it people, game is great, one of the best on the system. So happy people will get to play it.

Anyone complaining about the price can get fucked. This is literally $500 dollars worth of games at current market value for a pittance. This is one of the best deals in gaming history.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:08 AM
Out Of Warranty

My only complaint is that this is not available for any portable console (3DS and/or Vita, pls).

As it is it's getting purchased as soon as I have some disposable income anyway because, even if it didn't have the good version of Ducktales in it (the NES one where they don't pause the action every two minutes to have a talk) this kind of loving preservation deserves to be encouraged and rewarded.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:33 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
(Adventures in the Magic Kingdom got robbed though)
Sadly, Adventures in the Magic Kingdom doesn't really hold up well at all. You've got two modestly sized mansion/pirate themed timed platformer stages, a race, a trial and error train minigame, QTEs set to a black screen with stars on it, and Disney trivia. And that's it.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:34 AM
New Video World is out!

Tragic Kingdom
Old 03-16-2017, 03:29 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksworth View Post
I was going to ask why there isn't a Switch version, but then I remembered that will probably just release them all separately on virtual console like they did with the Mega Man collection...
The Mega Man stuff was out on VC well before MMLC was a thing, and even then, they did both on 3DS and only VC on Wii U.

Suffice to say, I don't think VC is a factor here.

Quote:
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(It's sad Little Mermaid isn't there, but I think that cartoon was only on Saturday mornings, so)

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Yeah, I thought the same thing about Adventures in the Magic Kingdom before realizing "oh, right, that's not a Disney Afternoon cartoon."

Which kind of makes this weird, seeing as I don't think there was ever any Disney Afternoon branding on the games themselves.

Quote:
Mega Man Legacy Collection ended up on 3DS. Eventually.

It would be pretty weird if they negotiated a contract with Nintendo which didn't result in these NES games coming out on a Nintendo system. But Nintendo's been acting weird and inconsistent with developers lately, so who knows.
Negotiated a contract? Did they say they did that somewhere?

Quote:
This is reducing the classic game to something you download and play for thirty seconds on NESticle. They deserve better. This sort of thing is why everyone fucking hates any game that doesn't fall into the first-party or cult classic criteria.

Boot up NES game for thirty seconds, man this fucking sucks, delete rom.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (besides sucking, being inaccurate, poorly designed and baffling in places such as no Sonic lock-on) contributes to the idea of classic games having no value because it's like hey, here's every Mega Drive game for forty dollars or whatever the fuck. Hey that's cool, I like having access to a shitload of Mega Drive games, but it does kind of raise expectations and reduce the perception of the value of these titles imho.

Inaccurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Sadly, Adventures in the Magic Kingdom doesn't really hold up well at all. You've got two modestly sized mansion/pirate themed timed platformer stages, a race, a trial and error train minigame, QTEs set to a black screen with stars on it, and Disney trivia. And that's it.
I've always wanted to go back to it, hoping that maybe it would be better now after I've become more experienced. I'm guessing not.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:19 AM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Oh sure, it's no gem, but it would round out the package nicely

Can't complain about what we're getting though
Old 03-16-2017, 08:07 AM
Video Monster

Thiiiiis is awesome.

I never knew DT2 or RR2 existed until a few years ago. Despite having probably read about both them in Nintendo Power as a kid. Incidentally, if you're interested in original hardware versions, and you have access to a Famicom, some of these games are far more reasonably priced on that console, particularly DT2.

I'm really interested in the concept art that these apparently come with. I'm assuming it's for the game design rather than the cartoon design, which is pretty exciting.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:32 AM
New Video World is out!

From the trailer it looks to be both.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:01 PM
New Video World is out!

I don't think I'll be able to experience happiness until this comes out.

Tags
capcom , digital eclipse , disney afternoon , ducktales! , non-nintendo products , nostalgia glasses , rereleases , woo-oo