The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-20-2013, 09:01 PM
King Of Space-Time

PM sent, Austin. I'll keep you in mind if I come across another, Mogri.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Cool, thanks.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:36 AM
the :motion: stands

I've started buying card packs instead of entering the Arena because I don't want to have to wait until I lose 3 games before I get more cards. Also I've done two Arenas in a row where I steamrolled the first three games and then lost three straight so I'm wondering if as you advance in the Arena, you start facing other people who have similarly advanced.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:30 AM
King Of Space-Time

Question

Austin, U Hearthstoning good?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:12 AM
For blood and gold

If anyone else has a beta key, I'd love one. Can give good wishes or many variety of Steam codes for various games.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

So thanks to where I work I am now sorta playing Hearthstone.

Those first few matches it forces you to take were kinda lame and not very great at telling you how to play (I didn't have the sound on because fuck those voices; I could have missed something). So I guess I should play practice mode to build up a deck?

Speaking of decks, how is the deck building?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Venturing into ads!

Yeah, continue playing Practice mode as that will allow you to unlock other Heroes to play as and you have the chance to unlock more cards with whichever character you're playing as.

The overall rules are pretty similar to Magic if you've played that and the first time you run into a new type of card, they'll usually explain it for you. I haven't started deck building yet though since I just got into the beta pretty recently myself.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Mad Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
So thanks to where I work I am now sorta playing Hearthstone.

Those first few matches it forces you to take were kinda lame and not very great at telling you how to play (I didn't have the sound on because fuck those voices; I could have missed something). So I guess I should play practice mode to build up a deck?

Speaking of decks, how is the deck building?
Yeah, the rules are pretty streamlined, so you should pick it up quickly. After you beat each of the AI decks, you unlock that class, and once they're all unlocked it opens up Arena mode, which I find much more fun than constructed. The constructed mode has matchmaking that tries to keep everyone around 50% win rate, so you might as well dive in once you have the decks unlocked.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:54 AM

What is Arena? Like, what's different from standard?
Old 11-22-2013, 12:07 PM
redheads not warheads

Arena is drafting. You are given 3 random classes to chose to play, then you are given a sequence of card choices. They show 3 random cards of similar rarity level, you pick one and discard the other two, and then they show you 3 more to pick from. This continues until you have a 30 card deck.

One other difference from constructed is that you can have more than 2 of any card in your deck, if you happen to draw and pick that many copies.

After you draft your deck, you can queue to play other people in the arena. You can play with this deck until you lose 3 games, win 9, or choose to retire your deck. At the end, you get 5 items, 1 is a pack of cards for constructed and the other 4 are either gold or dust. The more games you win, the more gold and dust you win at the end.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:14 PM

ohh shit, I love drafting. Ok, thanks for the info!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:01 AM
TARANTUL

Got a beta key, there went my evening.

Did all the unlocking so and then did one Arena with Warlock, went 5/3, not bad given how many newbie mistakes I was making. Liking priest, mage and warlock a lot so far.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:02 AM
le petite mort

Watched Destil play his beta and ... I NEED this game.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Swag Brotagonist

Yea, I've watched a few streams every now and then, and it looks dope as fuck. Especially some of the animations for spells, like Twisting Nether. I wish MODO had even half the production value and playability Hearthstone has.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:21 AM
TARANTUL

Yeah, even having watched a fair number of videos of this going in I'm pretty amazed at the level of polish. I mean, everything I've read about it even basically said "online CCT with blizzard level of polish" but I wasn't expecting every single minion to have quotes that play when they're summoned and attack.

It seems like I can play a few arena games and then come back later and play some more? That alone is going to make it cut into my MODO drafting time something fierce.

(MODO is 100% function over form, of course, being fully rules complaint and implementing every card ever (aside from oddballs like Chaos Orb) along with keeping current with paper releases is a pretty damn tall order for a piece of software. That's likely why after 14 years they're only running a beta for the third version of the client, making the damn thing work must take insane amounts of time. I really wonder whatever became of that API support Elf wanted to implement, since I think he's no longer the lead developer)
Old 12-12-2013, 05:47 PM
le petite mort

Yeah. MODO is a marvel underneath the hood, but it sure looks like shit. Hearthstone, on the other hand, is all I could hope for in a Blizzard CCG.

Speaking of! I got into the beta. SO EXCITED HEARTHSTONE ALL NIGHT
Old 12-12-2013, 07:55 PM
For blood and gold

Why is everyone getting into the beta but me?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:16 AM
TARANTUL

Arrgh. Went 10-3 in Arena just now with a really great warlock deck. Lost my second game to a shaman because I didn't keep the board completely clear all game and then bloodlust when I was at 22, that's what happens when you play against Shaman.

Then got 9 more wins, 10-1. Went up against a mage and lost a long game where she just had too many answers (copied my hogger then fireballed him, flamestruck my board twice). Then I get the same damn mage again when I go to my next match and she just wipes the board with me, has the prefect answer to every play I make.

I guess I should wait a few minutes after a loss in arena before jumping back into the queue. Can't be too pissed off since I got 100 dust and 300 gold (and a really terrible pack), but man is that a lousy way to end such a good run.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Chief

I've been watching Totalbiscuit vids of this on YouTube and I'm really looking forward to the open beta. At the rate they seem to be dribbling out keys, I kind of doubt I'll be getting into the closed. It's still supposed to be end of this year, right?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:55 PM
For blood and gold

Just entered my key in.

They already have a Mac version? So I can play this no matter what mode my home computer is in? Oh man am I going to lose so much time to this.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:58 PM
TARANTUL

Check your PM box, Mogri.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Yes, let's feast!

THIS JUST IN: Destil is great and the best
Old 12-17-2013, 11:49 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Gotta say, I feel like a jerk when I give the customary "well played" at the end of a match and then notice I took no damage.

I drafted an arena deck with five Explosive Traps. It's stupid. It's great.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:55 PM
le petite mort

I WANT MY LIFE BACK, BLIZZARD

WASN'T WORLD OF WARCRAFT ENOUGH

augh but you are such sweet sorrow, my love
Old 12-18-2013, 12:41 AM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I drafted an arena deck with five Explosive Traps. It's stupid. It's great.
I got three Northshires and two Mind Controls today, that was pretty sick.

My favorite hunter trap play is dropping a starving buzzard and then playing a snake trap. Can't believe how often people have fallen for that. They assume it's a flame trap and don't want to drop one of the Battle Cry deals damage before triggering it
Old 12-18-2013, 12:43 AM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
I got three Northshires and two Mind Controls today, that was pretty sick.

My favorite hunter trap play is dropping a starving buzzard and then playing a snake trap.
Can't believe how often people have fallen for that. They assume it's a flame trap and don't want to drop one of the Battle Cry deals damage guys to die to it before triggering
Holy shit that's beautiful.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:49 AM
TARANTUL

No.

Beautiful is sitting across from an Azure Drake, a Dalaran Mage and two other 3 toughness creatures with nothing on your board but 9 mana and a Shadow Madness and a Holy Nova in hand.

Shadow Madness the Mage, +1 Spell Damage wipes everything except the drake who's now at 4/1. Mage and Drake kill each other.

Yeah, I won that game.

Also had a really great game vs. a mage who just kept drawing cards and I killed via exhaustion by clearing the board after he ran out his cult master. Two northshires sitting in my hand for the last 8 turns because I knew the game was going to go to exhaustion and I didn't need any more cards to stay in control. I was lucky he used one of his two(!!) pyroblasts to stabilize the board, because he hit me with the second and the game ended with me at one.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:55 AM
le petite mort

Ahaha, that's fantastic.

Also that reminds me of the game I won through fatigue. He was powering through his cards pretty quickly (dem mana totems) so I knew I just had to win a battle of attrition if nothing else.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Chief

Beta get!

I'm counting this as a Festivus miracle since I only signed up like two weeks ago. Now I just have to survive work all day knowing it's at home waiting for me.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Chief

Does anybody have any tips for drafting? I went 3-3 in my freebie arena but I was kind of making it up as I went along rather than any coherent strategy. I do know I lost 2 out of my 3 games because I didn't have any aoe removal, but other than that I'm kinda lost.

Tags
blizzard , ccg , hearthstone , mlg , warcraft