The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, that place has the last core upgrade in the game, which will get you into the final zone. You can glitch the ships with your bombs I'm pretty sure, which can help.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:52 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Yeah, that place has the last core upgrade in the game, which will get you into the final zone. You can glitch the ships with your bombs I'm pretty sure, which can help.
I've tried glitching them, but it doesn't seem to have any apparent effect.

Right now, my strategy is getting them stuck on level geometry. Their hitboxes are huge and they have exploitable AI pathing running past them so I don't have to fight them.

EDIT: Hey, another question!

So. There's an enemy here that, when glitched, starts having letters superimposed on its sprite. It cycles through twelve of them, so that's a pretty dead giveaway saying this thing's a passcode. Though, since it keeps cycling, I'm not entirely sure what the first letter's supposed to be, nor do I have any idea what it does.

Last edited by aturtledoesbite; 05-29-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:17 PM
I have a Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
EDIT: Hey, another question!
One of the letters is a different color. Start there.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:32 AM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

So after a SUPER LONG week I decided to treat myself and grabbed this game on steam.

Holy shit you guys this game is awesome.

I mean you already know it's awesome obviously. You're posting in this thread.

but SERIOUSLY!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:14 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
So after a SUPER LONG week I decided to treat myself and grabbed this game on steam.

Holy shit you guys this game is awesome.

I mean you already know it's awesome obviously. You're posting in this thread.

but SERIOUSLY!
*Pushes "Tell Me More"*
Old 07-10-2015, 08:17 AM
I. Love. It.

Man, I've been dying to play this.

I probably would have bought it on Steam by now if not for the fact that I spied some news awhile back saying the game is eventually coming to Wii-U, which would be my much preferred platform.

The bad news is it won't have a Wii-U release until 2016, so I'd need to wait that long.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Sudden chomper

Just finished this last night, with 74% of items and 93% of the map explored. It does some pretty creative stuff later in the game, but I found the first 4 hours (prior to getting the grappling hook) to be a bit of a slog. I really enjoyed the traversal once you had some of the more advanced powers unlocked, though. My other gripe is that standard enemies do way too much fucking damage to the player, I mean seriously. I feel that Metroid-style games do themselves a disservice when they make the low-level enemies too dangerous, it detracts from the player's ability to really explore the world. This is something that even the Metroid Prime games do, with their respawning, hard-to-kill ghosts and space pirates.

Anyway, it was pretty good, but I don't think it'll make my best-of-2015 list.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Life depends on change

I've been playing this on and off a little, too, and I don't have the item you have behind the spoiler there yet, and I've kind of hit the same slog you're talking about. Enemies do a TON of damage, and while I enjoy exploring, some of the enemies kind of suck (the little asshole that leaps at you from across the room really quick in particular annoys me, though he doesn't do too much damage).

Otherwise, I'm enjoying it, and the graphics and music are pretty great, and I've really liked the few bosses I've played so far.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:15 AM

I'm holding out for a GOG version, myself. I ended up passing on the special on Steam this past weekend for that reason.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:16 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

My first play through I ended up stuck in an area and couldn't make my way back despite best efforts.

I havent tried it since then.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I'm holding out for a GOG version, myself. I ended up passing on the special on Steam this past weekend for that reason.
Me too. I'll buy if it it ever gets on GoG.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:04 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Just finished this last night, with 74% of items and 93% of the map explored. It does some pretty creative stuff later in the game, but I found the first 4 hours (prior to getting the grappling hook) to be a bit of a slog. I really enjoyed the traversal once you had some of the more advanced powers unlocked, though. My other gripe is that standard enemies do way too much fucking damage to the player, I mean seriously. I feel that Metroid-style games do themselves a disservice when they make the low-level enemies too dangerous, it detracts from the player's ability to really explore the world. This is something that even the Metroid Prime games do, with their respawning, hard-to-kill ghosts and space pirates.

Anyway, it was pretty good, but I don't think it'll make my best-of-2015 list.
See, I lost interest in it when I got that item and haven't gone back. But then again, I hate Bionic Commando so...
Old 11-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
See, I lost interest in it when I got that item and haven't gone back. But then again, I hate Bionic Commando so...
IMO, you missed out on all the good stuff. Not that the swinging is particularly fun (and despite the surface similarities, it doesn't control like Bionic Commando at all), but it lets you get around a lot more easily. The really fun traversal abilities are a bit farther along, but at least with the hook I felt like I had most of the world available for exploration.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Bald Gendou

So is Axiom still coming to Vita?

...and will it be crossbuy?

I bought this on PS4 at launch, but with a kid and all I have 0 time to play it. A vita version, however, I could play at lunch.

Does anybody know?
Old 11-30-2015, 06:04 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Guycot View Post
So is Axiom still coming to Vita?

...and will it be crossbuy?

I bought this on PS4 at launch, but with a kid and all I have 0 time to play it. A vita version, however, I could play at lunch.

Does anybody know?
This is the last I heard about it.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Nothing is more powerful

The latest word was yes, with more details forthcoming.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:29 AM
Banned

This game is blowing my mind. I think it's better than SOTN and Super Metroid. The powers are just so cool and unique, and the story is awesome.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Drawerings

Congrats on being a finalist for Indie Game of the Year!
Old 12-05-2015, 11:35 PM
Infinity Squared!

I picked Axiom Verge up from the recent Steam Sale and played through it during the entire Thanksgiving weekend. It was quite good for the most part, though I doubt that I'll be going back to it to claim 100% completion. It feels like it'll be too much trial and error and aimless searching to figure out where the missing upgrades and notes are, since there aren't any indicators on the map for items, nor a tool for better tracking them down. Within the game, there was also one part that got me stuck for a goodly amount of time: after gaining the red coat, I didn't realize that my teleport distance had increased - I thought it only just allowed me to do air-jumps. I think it must have been a good half hour of wandering after gathering items before I threw my hands up to look at a FAQ/walkthrough. I think that if that mechanic was better encoded by having a conspicuous two-wide wall near the pickup my opinion of the game would be much greater. Still, I can definitely say it was worth the price of pickup.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:41 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
This game is blowing my mind. I think it's better than SOTN and Super Metroid. The powers are just so cool and unique, and the story is awesome.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:13 AM
..and his little cat, too

Oh hey, I just realized: I have a PS4 now! I can actually, finally try playing this!
Old 12-06-2015, 01:13 PM
an eeling of Christmas

I keep forgetting this is like actually out on pc and all
Old 12-31-2015, 03:46 AM

I got this, since it was on sale on Steam. Pretty fun so far. Though I am not very far into it. My last new weapon was the corrupting thing that can glitch out different stuff.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:51 PM
New Video World is out!

I find the visual aesthetic of this one doesn't do a thing for me, for some reason.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:41 AM

I've put a lot more time into this game today and gotten pretty far into it. Seems like the plot has brought me near the end, but I'm missing a lot of items.

I have like, 10 different guns, and honestly, only about 4 of them are good enough to main. Most of them still have nice niches, though. The most recent one I got seems pretty bad, or at least hard to figure out its gimmick. It fires shots that can kinda spread depending how long you hold down fire before the first shot, and then if you hold fire after that, it spins out this close-range thing. This is like, the most imaginative game in this formula that I've played since maybe Cave Story.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:01 AM

I love games that give you a bunch of goofy weapons and leave it to you to find a use for them. I found that the bouncing projectiles gun (Reflector?) is great for safely dealing with big floaty robots, especially in E-Kur-Mah which is just chock full of them. Although at the end I used the DISKARMOR exclusively (Forgot what it's actually called) even though I probably had better options.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I find the visual aesthetic of this one doesn't do a thing for me, for some reason.
What are your feelings on the original Metroid's aesthetic? Or Blaster Master, the other game this takes a lot of visual cues from?

Not pushing for a fight or anything ('cause I do love the look and feel of this game but I've got a soft spot for Geiger and weird, dark hard sci-fi) but I'm generally curious and wouldn't mind some elaboration if you can.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
That's the main thing holding me back from picking this up. Everything about it sounds right up my alley but it looks like crap.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:58 PM
Chief Servbot

I think the game looks pretty great myself. Great evolution of that late NES Konami/Sunsoft style. Music's great too!

My main complaint is that the protag is such a boring sarcastic white dude everyman, didn't really seem to fit the tone of the game very well...
Old 01-02-2016, 06:27 PM

I just beat the game! It was pretty fun. I kinda want to find more secrets and stuff now, because I beat it with 77% items and 94% map.

Despite my earlier complaints about the guns... there are a lot of guns I got later in the game, that are a bit more hidden, that are incredibly powerful and easy to use. Most of these are rapid-fire, so all you have to do is hold down the shoot button instead of jamming it repeatedly. And I think the way the game numbers guns is based upon when you collect them, which is funny considering how I got one gun way later than it felt like I was supposed to get it. So it went into the "not numbered" pile with all of the more secret, late-game guns, and was never ever used. I would've used it if I'd found it earlier though! And it wasn't really gated behind a lot of travel/exploration powers.

Tags
axiom verge , games by tyrants , indie , metroidvania , retro , rise from your grave!