The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 04-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Out Of Warranty

What really irks me about this event is how far Marvel (or at least the writer of Captain America, same difference) is trying to make Hydra into something that is Definitively Not Nazis, going so far as to recruit Magneto into Hydra because, hey, if Erik is cool with them then they can't really be Nazis, right? Instead of an allegory of current events, which is a charitable interpretation of this mess, the entire situation ends up looking like sincere apologism for white supremacy.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:44 PM
an eeling of Christmas

Well, it's still an allegory for current events, just not the one they probably wanted to put their name on
Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Find Your Reason

They probably expected the election to go the other way, and for reality and comics to match up in "democracy beating the Nazis."

Yeah, about that...
Old 04-20-2017, 06:33 PM
post-mystic lich princess

It's very easy to make the analogy say something, but they keep veering away in fear of being criticized and assessed as saying anything. Spineless.

A second spacetwinks essay on how the whole (completely inane) direct market system + endless gimmickry is making Marvel dissolve itself alive first and foremost released today. The first one covered the last few decades, this one covers this decade, and honestly having recently read the first and finding out "pre-ordering comics with minimal information three months in advance is the only way buying an individual comic matters to the company" kind of makes me just want to wait and watch everything collapse into itself.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:46 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
A second spacetwinks essay on how the whole (completely inane) direct market system + endless gimmickry is making Marvel dissolve itself alive first and foremost released today. The first one covered the last few decades, this one covers this decade, and honestly having recently read the first and finding out "pre-ordering comics with minimal information three months in advance is the only way buying an individual comic matters to the company" kind of makes me just want to wait and watch everything collapse into itself.
Is their approach to marketing, sales and distribution really all that different from DC, Dark Horse, Image etc? Image and Dark Horse can talk about integrity but both companies are still totally reliant on licensing and franchise money.

And what's to be said about fandom? The people who complain about endless crossovers and events are the same people who shell out money for the damn things. Is anyone here really going to shut Marvel out of their life because of how offensive Nazi Cap is? Hell no.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:49 PM
post-mystic lich princess

The thesis in those is about how the potential for new readers and sales are demonstrably shed off after volume shifts and events, plus how events don't even boost sales anymore to the point of having fallen far below the glory of barely a decade or two ago, but sure, The Core doesn't care, so why should anybody.

Marvel is a critical target due to recent events and being really vocal about bad business decisions, but D.C. still has had plenty of nonsense in earlier years. Just fresh blood in the water.

Last edited by Tatterdemalion; 04-20-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:14 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Is anyone here really going to shut Marvel out of their life because of how offensive Nazi Cap is? Hell no.
Well, maybe, actually.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:57 PM
so exciting!

people will probably still watch the movies but plenty of people will happily stop buying the comics (though the reasoning may be less "this is really offensive, i'm out" and more "this is really stupid, i'm out")
Old 04-20-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Is anyone here really going to shut Marvel out of their life because of how offensive Nazi Cap is? Hell no.
Hi, I cancelled my Marvel Unlimited subscription and cut the last six Marvel books on my pull list yesterday, so miss me with that "Marvel readers will put up with anything" line.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:23 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
And what's to be said about fandom? The people who complain about endless crossovers and events are the same people who shell out money for the damn things.
I think it was Joe Quesada who said that they'd rather have readers that were angry than readers that were happy.

He would know, too.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
I wasn't going to, but, you know, I can support the creators of Ms Marvel elsewhere and the movies are hitting Netflix and cable in record time (or I can just buy tickets to other films and sneak into Marvel ones), so, after thinking about your post, yeah, I can absolutely shut Marvel comics out of my life and stop supporting all other forms of Marvel Ent financially without any issues. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:37 PM
Thanks for noticing me

This is the fucking wrong year to 'reveal' that Captain America was secretly a Nazi all along.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:36 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
This is the fucking wrong year to 'reveal' that Captain America was secretly a Nazi all along.
This implies there was a "right" year to do that.

Quote:
What really irks me about this event is how far Marvel (or at least the writer of Captain America, same difference) is trying to make Hydra into something that is Definitively Not Nazis,
You'd think step one would be for them to stop having Hydra go around shouting "Hail H----" everywhere, but they didn't even bother to give it that much thought.

On the other hand, we haven't had this fun a game of "how far can one company's sales tank" since mid-90s Marvel.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Find Your Reason

How ‘Captain America: Steve Rogers’ Is Trying To Disassociate HYDRA From Nazis And Why It Won’t Work

Also, this reads like it's gonna be the "rogue Justice Leaguers conspire to mindwipe villains and Batman" of Marvel Comics, in how it retroactively colors every Avengers and Captain America story in ways those writers would've never conceived of. It wasn't a good idea then, it's an even worse one now.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Out Of Warranty

Marvel is asking retailers to dress up like Hydra during the event.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Marvel is just straight up begging fanboy Twitter to roast them some more.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
You'd think step one would be for them to stop having Hydra go around shouting "Hail H-
nick spencer on twitter: no no no hydra are not nazis shutupShutUpSHUTUP

nick spencer's comics: captain america helped the nazis win, and was actually always a nazi

???
Old 04-21-2017, 11:12 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Also, this reads like it's gonna be the "rogue Justice Leaguers conspire to mindwipe villains and Batman" of Marvel Comics, in how it retroactively colors every Avengers and Captain America story in ways those writers would've never conceived of. It wasn't a good idea then, it's an even worse one now.
The thing with that one was that they made very certain (at least at first, I think Johns foolishly expanded the concept later to include Catwoman and others) to state that was a one-time thing. And it was Hawkman's idea, and, well, I still think that makes sense for him because Hawkman's supposed to be something of a miserable asshole.

This is much, much larger than that. This is asking us to believe that WWII only happened as it did because someone fucked with reality. That's only, y'know, the most important event in human history. A bit of a leap up from brainwiping a rapey Dr. Light.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Safe Space

USA: we got a cosmic cube, let's reset reality
Other Allies: should we make it so all those gypsies, jews and homosexuals didn't get sent to death camps?
USA: nah, we gotta leave 'em in, see, because it makes the Nazis look more evil
Other Allies: what about those prison camps where you sent all the Japanese?
USA: comparatively speaking
Old 04-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post

nick spencer's comics: captain america helped the nazis win, and was actually always a nazi

???
Yeah, disregard my "Hydra don't scan as Nazis to me" remarks from before. It's clear they do to the writer of this storyline.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Find Your Reason

Yah, I wasn't comparing the "realistic" magnitude of the localized fallout of Identity Crisis with everything that Secret Empire implies, but how Marvel is now stating that...

* Cap punching Hitler? A diversion to fool the Allies.
* Steve becoming Nomad because the govt asked him to compromise his ideals as Cap? White-hot hypocrisy.
* Cap being the moral center of countless Avengers tales? He didn't mean any of it.
* Cap fighting for personal freedoms in Civil War? A lie.

Marvel is saying literally everything Cap has ever done, he's done as a Hydra agent that was brainwashed into "goodness." Marvel is saying that, if Steve Rogers returns to the "status quo" of being a good guy, that will be just another brainwash, because the real Steve was never good.

So good luck rereading his 70-year comic history now and not have that tidbit itching away at the back of your head.

But yeah, all the above is limited to how it affects Steve's personal history. They could have left it at that and it would've been bad enough for their continuous narrative. Then they just HAD to make ALL of World War II a reality-rewrite too, and that's... well. There's really not much to say beyond a palm planted firmly on one's forehead.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

*reads marvel's response*

*taps mic*

lmao
Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 AM
an eeling of Christmas

I think I understand a little better why Marvel was so quick to jump on the "diversity doesn't sell" line now
Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
*reads marvel's response*

*taps mic*

lmao
Did they make a response to all this? I'm not seeing one on CBR or the like.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Wow, I thought this thing was terrible enough as it is but... yeah, this might put me off Marvel for a while. It helps that I don't get monthlies, though.

Deciding that apparently the actual default Marvel Universe is ruled by Nazis seems especially terrible. Ugh.

Man, looks like the worm has really turned on the whole "Marvel's doing it right, DC can't stop flubbing" thing from a couple years ago.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:08 PM
This Guy

Its a 3-5 year cycle.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:25 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Yes, right now DC is in ascendancy, so it's Marvels turn to be Worst.

...actually, Archie has been rising progressively higher over there past five years and shows no signs of slowing... so i guess they're the True King now.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post

???
nick spencer's comics: actually what if the Allies were the real villains of World War 2

You know at a certain point here, one really has to start asking... Certain questions. Like "Wait, isn't Marvel's President a huge Trump backer? Where is this editorial direction coming from?"
Old 04-21-2017, 01:09 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
Did they make a response to all this? I'm not seeing one on CBR or the like.
The cap writer's twitter feed has been shitting the bed with the lights on
Old 04-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
The cap writer's twitter feed has been shitting the bed with the lights on
yeah, for some weeks now Nick Spencer has offered a textbook case study in why you have marketing and PR to provide a filter for your creative people.

Tags
excelsior! , marvel , super heroes