The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-19-2017, 02:09 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Fallout 3 is a stupid, boring game until you get a handle on the systems. Then it's pretty good!
And then you get 190 stealth and an overpowered melee weapon and it becomes a hoot!
Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 AM
Obtuse Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
One day. One day.
For what it's worth, Snatcher isn't a particularly long game. Definitely worth playing eventually.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:30 PM

I had given up on ever playing Dragon Quest IX despite now owning a 3DS, because I heard there was a ton of online stuff that was forever lost now. But more recently I read it was all post-game stuff, which I never care about anyway! So now I've got it, and I'm playing it, and it is fantastic!
Old 04-19-2017, 05:18 PM

If you have access to cheat devices, you can put in codes that unlock some of the online stuff, at least.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:49 PM

I actually don't have access to such things. I just gotta believe I'm not missing anything I'd care about anyway!

But seriously, game is awesome. I feel like somewhere back in 2009 Octo must have fainted from sheer joy upon meeting an enemy called The Ragin' Contagion.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:13 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
And then you get 190 stealth and an overpowered melee weapon and it becomes a hoot!
I like that guy who appears out of nowhere to kill your sniper targets. Who is he? Why is he fighting with you? Who cares? He's handy.

I think near the end of the game, I got tired of the barkeep in the town with the nuclear bomb in it. I shot at him with a sniper rifle, and the stranger appeared to finish the job. The entire town came after me for it, evidently forgetting that they hated the guy as much as I did.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

I just got it because it's a JoJo reference, but Cagnazzo's soul in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow is actually pretty sweet. It only deals like 20 damage per punch, but it's constantly punching without your input, so it's great for keeping things stun-locked in between your own attacks.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Outer Spacean

Decided to replay a little of Shovel Knight with everyone body swapped to female for kicks (because how many games actually have EVERY SINGLE MAJOR CHARACTER as a woman?), and I was reminded of how good it is. And the Fairy of Shovelry is the cutest fucking thing ever.

Specter Knight is fun too, but man, those wall-running and slash leaps are messing with my mind. Still enjoying myself, but it's different enough from anything else I've played that it's challenging my reflexes.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:37 AM
i musnt run away

In addition to picking up Persona 5 this week I grabbed the original Shin Megami Tensei on iOS so I can get that talking to demons fix when I'm not sitting in front of the PS4 at home. A couple hours in and I'm surprised to find that it's not as obtuse or as intimidatingly difficult as I feared it would be. Where I'm supposed to go and what I'm supposed to do has been vague but wandering around seems to be progress things just fine. And the game is generous with being able to ask NPC's about mechanics and such.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:31 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Erin: The Last Aos Sí is a pretty great smartphone RPG. You've got a Mario 3 esque map of encounter zones, which play out as Erin running through gorgeous countrysides dotted with treasure and encounters.

The real gem is the combat, though. It's very Grandia - everyone is on a shared action bar with three sections: cooldown, readying, and focus. You move through cooldown at a fairly quick pace, though it is a differen pace for each monster and Erin. When you get to ready you lock your actions in by readying a spell via short combinations of the nine runes you have - you can also cast from a list, and there's no penalty for screwing up a rune combo, so it's more like speed-dial for your spell menu. When you get to the end of the focus section of the bar, you take your action. If anyone is hit while they're in the focus section of the bar, they get kicked to near the beginning of the bar. You get bonuses for landing consecutive hits without being hit yourself.

Combat becomes this really interesting combat puzzle of figuring out which spell you should cast that will get you ahead of the enemy or let the enemy catch up into the ready section before you hit them. And that's without factoring that there are often multiple enemies in play.

Also excellent: no free-to-play bullshit. The game does require a purchase to unlock all of it, but it has a list of pay-what-you-want options from 2 to 18 dollars.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:36 PM
disguised king of surfing

That sounds lovely, and I'm installing it momentarily
Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I don't have any current gen consoles or a cell phone, and it feels like more and more lately like it's the latter of those that is the platform that I'm missing the best experiences on.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I don't have any current gen consoles or a cell phone, and it feels like more and more lately like it's the latter of those that is the platform that I'm missing the best experiences on.
Noooo, no way! Uh uh! Don't worry, phone games are mostly really bad or just forgettable.

I'm gonna check out this Erin game now though, thanks Lance.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:57 PM
is Earnest

I've played a lot of very nice phone games, but they're mostly very short, lightweight experiences. I vastly prefer games I've played on 3DS and PS4.

e- this is directed at JBear, not Lancer. There are clearly standouts on every system.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:07 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
they're mostly very short, lightweight experiences.
Those are by far my preferred experiences these days, though. I just don't have the time or patience for long-ass games anymore, no matter how good they are.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:34 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Quote:
I've played a lot of very nice phone games, but they're mostly very short, lightweight experiences. I vastly prefer games I've played on 3DS and PS4.

e- this is directed at JBear, not Lancer. There are clearly standouts on every system.
Oh yeah, most good phone games are tiny or would work better with a controller, definitely. I'd say there's maybe two smartphone games I would redownload, but my PS4 has been nothing but smash hits so far. That's why standout smartphone games are EXTRA special.

Erin seems really solid so far - my spell list has EXPLODED, including a monster-buddy-making spell - but only time will tell if it stays consistent.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:11 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
Don't worry, phone games are mostly really bad or just forgettable.
Not completely true. There's some pretty cool games available if you're willing to spend money upfront, though I'd recommend a tablet over a phone and they can also be found on PC if you have a non-awful one.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:16 PM
Mad Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I'd agree as long as you have a PC. That covers so many bases that the relatively few exclusives on each console system can easily be foregone.

Though if you have no need for a phone qua phone, a tablet would generally be a better gaming investment since they're cheaper, they have larger screens, and the library is a superset of phone games.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:18 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraeg View Post
I'd agree as long as you have a PC. That covers so many bases that the relatively few exclusives on each console system can easily be foregone.
Yup, that's where I'm at, and agreed.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:14 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraeg View Post
Though if you have no need for a phone qua phone, a tablet would generally be a better gaming investment since they're cheaper, they have larger screens, and the library is a superset of phone games.
Or an iPod Touch. You can get a refurbished one for under $200.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Mad Overlord

Quote:
Or an iPod Touch. You can get a refurbished one for under $200.
If you need to fit it in your pocket, sure, but otherwise you might as well go up to an iPad Mini 2 at $270 for the games that are tablet-exclusive or just play much better on one. The extra space is really nice for top-down strategy and RPGs. Admittedly, most of these are also on PC, but still nice to have the option.
  • Wars & Battles
  • A bunch of Slitherine wargames
  • Brogue
  • PC RPGs a la Shadowrun, Baldur's Gate, Torment, Avadon / Avernum, etc.
  • Indies like FTL, Invisible Inc., and Desktop Dungeons
Old 04-21-2017, 06:56 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Not completely true. There's some pretty cool games available if you're willing to spend money upfront, though I'd recommend a tablet over a phone and they can also be found on PC if you have a non-awful one.
The only must-have mobile exclusive I can think of is Monument Valley but damn if that one isn't a must have.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Random guy

40 minutes into Saints Row 2, I was driving a septic truck firing actual shit at buildings, cars and people, while my character was wearing only tighty whities and flip-flops.

It was kind of awesome.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

It's kind of funny that Soma has a billion abilities, none of which you really need beyond traversal in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow; but Julius has exactly four items, and they're all absolutely vital to survival.

Also surprising: while Julius has a crazy over-powered dodge, he's also taller than Soma. Some attack that Soma can just duck under, Julius has to dodge through or jump over.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Julius has exactly four items, and they're all absolutely vital to survival.
They are? I think I tended to stick with the Axe for most of it...maybe the Holy Water too.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:01 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
They are? I think I tended to stick with the Axe for most of it...maybe the Holy Water too.
The Axe deals super great damage, and I use Holy Water for lots of things, but the Cross is just a really solid ranged option - way better for the cost than anything Soma gets, really. Oh, and the other, item crashier, Cross is a nice get out of jail free card - either I'm crazy lucky, or you're invincible for the duration.

This game does make me sad that they hadn't figured out CV:HD's controls yet - being able to press Up+R for Axes, Down+R for Holy Water, Forward+R for Crosses, and R or maybe L+R for Big Ol' Cross would have been amazing.

Also I did not realize Julius got better every time he killed a boss, so I may have made the decision to explore the castle starting from the bottom, which is a goddamn nightmare with starting stats. When you're dealing 15 damage to dudes in the Forbidden Area with your whip, subweapons are super important.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 04-21-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Also I did not realize Julius got better every time he killed a boss, so I may have made the decision to explore the castle starting from the bottom, which is a goddamn nightmare with starting stats. When you're dealing 15 damage to dudes in the Forbidden Area with your whip, subweapons are super important.
ohhhhhhhhh, that would've done it

rip
Old 04-22-2017, 10:18 AM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywatson View Post
40 minutes into Saints Row 2, I was driving a septic truck firing actual shit at buildings, cars and people, while my character was wearing only tighty whities and flip-flops.

It was kind of awesome.
Hahahaha, I love that game. One time I was playing it online with A-Bomb83 and he kept trying to mount my limousine with his monster truck.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:34 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

I got back into Saga Scarlet Grace after getting distracted by being busy in real life and Breath of the Wild. It's still world map exploration, battles balanced to kill you if you don't pay close attention, party synergy building, and missable content: the game.

It's not for everyone, but it's definitely for me.

The load times make it hard to recommend with reservations though... It needs a port to a system other than Vita that can run Unity and/or some optimization. It would be perfect for me on a system that could run it smoothly, especially if they added a soft reset and/or an option to concede a losing battle. (If you die, everyone loses 1 LP and you just get kicked back to the party adjustment screen to adjust your strategy to try again as long as you have 5 characters with LP left, which you usually do in a game where you have a ton of party members. But sometimes you know you screwed up and want to implement your solution right away.)
Old 04-22-2017, 03:41 PM
Video Monster

Shout-out to Parish/Game Boy World for the episode on Catrap, which I'd never heard of before and so far has been absolutely worth the three bucks I paid for it on the 3DS eshop. Delightful little game.

Tags
everything is awesome , fear of new threads , good games , just make a new thread , making threads is better , repulsive positivity