The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 05-12-2017, 10:15 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Not to mention that Bisping in general is thought to be more sellable than any of the guys at 185 with legit arguments for title shots.

But the signs aren't great for them right now. Those recent ESPN cuts make it clear that they're not caring to cover anything more than basketball, baseball, and football, and if they're not bidding when the TV deal is up there may not be much of an increase in the rights fees. And without an increase there, they're hamstrung by the debt.

McGregor is going to wind up with a big equity stake in the company, mark my words.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:58 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
"Is he really going to be in Anaheim?," said Cormier, who was embracing being a heel, only to get cheered, and even did the Chris Jericho "Drink it in man" pose. "Is this guy really going to be at the fight? Is he going to mess this up by doing steroids, doing cocaine, or sandblasting prostitutes?"

Jones then responded, "I beat you after a weekend of cocaine. I had great back-to-back weekends, cocaine one weekend and you next."
Old 05-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Oily Butt Thing

there is no point in getting excited about this shit. bones is gonna pee hotter than hanford groundwater and cormier will finally go over the edge and commit seppuku in the middle of the MGM Grand.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:27 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Well, one more dead division (until Jones moves up after his next suspension)
Old 05-14-2017, 07:30 AM
plz advise

The last time a guy named Stipe landed major hits like that, we got Losing My Religion, Shiny Happy People, and Near Wild Heaven in 1991.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:27 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Dana: WE SIGNED CONOR TO FIGHT FLOYD!

Everyone: So, what about Floyd? Has he signed?

Dana: Um....
Old 06-05-2017, 09:26 PM
plz advise

War Machine is going away for a VERY long time. Six life sentences, eligible for parole in 2053. He'll probably die behind bars, whether by his own hand or by a fan of Christy Mack's on the inside.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC...lt-Case-122601
Old 06-06-2017, 07:04 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Was just going to say, that is likely our final "Chronicles of War Machine" post.

Good riddance.

Last edited by Sven; 06-06-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:58 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

There is a deep dive yet to be written about the pandemic of hidden violence against women by combat athletes. Promoters have covered this shit up since time immemorial, and fighters convicted of absolutely horrific crimes are still pushed as marquee attractions.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

My Main Man Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson is standing tall against Dana White's bullshit, and I'm glad of it. White apparently wanted DJ to fight TJ Dillashaw, a fighter not even ranked in DJ's division, to come down and fight for the title. Even better, he announced this on a podcast without ever speaking to DJ or his people about setting things up. DJ turned the fight down, saying he'd prefer to fight Ray Borg - who is actually a ranked UFC flyweight.

Dana, because he is a giant drug-addled baby, responded by threatening to dissolve the entire flyweight division and strip DJ of his title. A title that DJ has held through five years of dominant wins over all competition.

Demetrious Johnson is the best fighter in the world. Anyone saying otherwise is selling you something or a damn idiot. The UFC seems perfectly willing to drive away every fighter worth a damn in its quest to recapture the lightning-in-a-bottle popularity of its biggest draws. This is only going to hurt them.

Life lesson: Never buy at the top. WME made a sucker's bet when they picked up Zuffa, and I agree with observers who predict a fire sale within the next five years.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:30 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

DJ's side of the story is expectedly tilted. I don't think he's got a leg to stand on when he talks about how he's not promoted that much when it's pretty much been conclusively proven at this point that people won't pay to watch him fight. It's a tragedy, but them's the breaks.

I feel for the guy when he says he doesn't get points when guys who've done far less than him have. But when his shows barely crack 200k on PPV he shouldn't expect anything better.

Meltzer went over this in fastidious detail on the podcast last night, and noted that a UFC champion's standard contract provides that PPV bonuses only kick in at $1 / buy once you cross the 300k buys mark. DJ ain't seeing that mark for a fight at 125 unless Ronda Rousey is involved.

(The Deadspin piece about how WME-IMG should've somehow figured out a way to monetize his Twitch following is... well, about the level I'd expect from Deadspin's combat sports coverage but still ridiculously dumb. The smartest people in the world haven't properly figured out how to use Twitch to monetize video game-related products and services, and you're asking them to figure out how to get 3,600 people who'll watch video games for free to purchase MMA pay-per-views? In the immortal words of Lucius Fox, "good luck.")

Dana, of course, is an idiot, but we all knew that already. I just was kinda hoping DJ was smarter about all of this. He should know that it takes a goddamn miracle to have a guy that small turn into a money player.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:53 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

DJ is being smart, and using what leverage he has. He just has very little leverage (If GSP had played any level of hardball in his career he would own UFC now.) If you look at the BATNAs here I think the most likely path is DJ doing some kind of media tour before going to Bellator.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:27 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

GSP's leverage was reduced because he came up in a time with Lesnar, and to a lesser extent Couture, Silva and even Matt Hughes (for the Gracie fight) all capable of going well above the 500K buy mark in the right circumstances (in Anderson's case, that circumstance was named Chael). Dana could've told him to go fly a kite and not taken a gigantic hit.

Now... well, fuck, you see what's happening with Conor, who is essentially the last guy capable of both (a) drawing a buyrate and (b) passing his drug tests. He actually is going to wind up with an equity stake, remember.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:52 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
GSP's leverage was reduced because he came up in a time with Lesnar, and to a lesser extent Couture, Silva and even Matt Hughes (for the Gracie fight) all capable of going well above the 500K buy mark in the right circumstances (in Anderson's case, that circumstance was named Chael). Dana could've told him to go fly a kite and not taken a gigantic hit.

Now... well, fuck, you see what's happening with Conor, who is essentially the last guy capable of both (a) drawing a buyrate and (b) passing his drug tests. He actually is going to wind up with an equity stake, remember.
I'll grant that GSP had company at the top, and that UFC was buoyed by a deep bench of stars at the time, but I still think you're selling him short. Agree that Conor is a special case and pressing WME for every inch he can get.

e: Conor is like Lesnar or Yoshida in that he's bigger than the promotion - maybe even bigger than the sport. I'm glad he recognizes this.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:58 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

GSP meant more for mainstream acceptance than he did for the company's actual income. Like, he was instrumental in getting the sport regulated here in Ontario, which led to millions of dollars, but he wasn't in Brock's class in terms of buyrates (GSP was consistently good for 700K after Serra, but he topped out at just under a million for Diaz while Brock had 3 1/3 shows over a million).

(They probably each get 33% of the credit for UFC 100, with the fact that it was the anniversary getting the remainder of the credit)

I mean, don't get me wrong, UFC did disproportionately well from Canada during his heyday, but at the same time doing disproportionately well in a market of 33 million people doesn't mean as much as it might have.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
I mean, don't get me wrong, UFC did disproportionately well from Canada during his heyday, but at the same time doing disproportionately well in a market of 33 million people doesn't mean as much as it might have.
It's the Canadian paradox: Small country, huge buyrate. For some damn reason y'all are wild to pay for PPVs.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:06 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Let's face it, our national sports are hockey and lacrosse. MMA and prowres slide right into that cultural mindscape.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
My Main Man Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson is standing tall against Dana White's bullshit, and I'm glad of it. White apparently wanted DJ to fight TJ Dillashaw, a fighter not even ranked in DJ's division, to come down and fight for the title. Even better, he announced this on a podcast without ever speaking to DJ or his people about setting things up. DJ turned the fight down, saying he'd prefer to fight Ray Borg - who is actually a ranked UFC flyweight.

Dana, because he is a giant drug-addled baby, responded by threatening to dissolve the entire flyweight division and strip DJ of his title. A title that DJ has held through five years of dominant wins over all competition.
I think the best part of this is everyone is saying he's scared of TJ, but the detail that goes unmentioned is how he was trying to setup the super fight with Cody, and the UFC forced him to fight Ray Borg.

Then he was even willing to fight TJ, provided he takes a #1 contender fight at 125 to prove he can make weight, or have TJ be willing to sacrifice his show purse and cancel the match if he fails to make 125. That doesn't sound like he's scared, that sounds like he wants to guarantee that spending a large amount of time training means he will be having a shot at breaking the record against a known opponent.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

DJ held his own against Dominick fucking Cruz, so I have no idea what dimension the 'scared' talk is coming from.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:09 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

And the weight thing is perfectly legitimate, as there's no fucking way TJD can make 125 and not collapse in the ring without USADA suddenly looking the other way on rehydrating.

DJ oughta just say "fuck it, give me a title shot at 135", win that, and then hold both divisions hostage a la Connor.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:00 PM

It's actually happening...
Old 06-14-2017, 06:12 PM
plz advise

Default What the fuck happened to mma while i was at work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBlasto View Post

If you willingly spend money on what is so obviously a cash-grab for both fighters that I wouldn't be surprised of Conor flops at punch one and starts counting his money after the bell, you deserve to be fleeced and I hope Floyd and Conor both beat you up and take your wallet.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:28 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

This fight is why streaming exists.

I'm going to enjoy watching the usual string of low-marquee fights fill up the undercard and every MMA fan wondering if this is how boxing does business.

(The answer is: yes, yes it is.)

Poor WME / IMG. Conor's never going to show up for them again. They're screwed. UFC's going to be sold to those Abu Dhabi shiekhs that used to own 10% of the company for about 20% of what WME paid for it.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Flashing back to RJJ ppvs where Roy was the only guy on the card who could reasonably be called a 'professional boxer'.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:58 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Boxing isn't much known for its forward thinking.

I can't believe Dana somehow didn't have the brains to book both the MGM grand and the new arena, run a UFC card in the one building, and then cap it with Floyd / Money from the second one. Show the opposite cards on closed circuit like Wrestlemania 2, and collect double the gate. It's not like Floyd would've given a shit.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:36 PM
an eeling of Christmas

Damn, Holly! What a kick!

Can you tell everything I know about combat sports comes from this thread?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:23 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Terrible weekend for MMA generally, with Matt Hughes apparently still in a coma after being hit by a train, former UFC fighter Tim Hague being killed in a boxing match, and the audience in Singapore having to watch that Holm / Correia match.

Nine strikes in a round. Sheesh, Rashad / Machida had more action than that in the first.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:50 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Terrible weekend for MMA generally, with Matt Hughes apparently still in a coma after being hit by a train, former UFC fighter Tim Hague being killed in a boxing match, and the audience in Singapore having to watch that Holm / Correia match.
pro boxing likewise covered itself with glory on Saturday night: in the semi-main of HBO's Vegas card, Guillermo Rigondeaux cold-cocked his opponent well after the bell ended the first round and was given the win by KO, even after the ref reviewed replays for the better part of 10 minutes, and in the main event, after hurting Sergey Kovalev with a legit right hand, Andre Ward decided to go full Golota and tee off with a three-punch combo directly to the dick. he was then awarded a TKO win that was so obviously bullshit even the referee admitted afterward that he'd fucked up.

to put a cherry on top, a bunch of Ward's friends and family somehow got hold of press credentials and started a hollering match with Kathy Duva at the post-fight presser.

God knows what Kovalev does with himself now. Ward will continue to pout whenever a camera is aimed in his direction and wonder why he can't draw flies in a dumpster out back of a low-rent Chinese grocer. The sensible thing would be for one or both of them to fight Adonis Stevenson, so that will almost certainly never happen.

Sweet science of bruising!
Old 06-21-2017, 10:57 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Yeah, Sal and Simmons were talking up the hilarity of the Rigondeaux finish. It's apparently been changed to a no-contest, which is of little consolation.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:07 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Oh, god, Bellator at MSG was apparently an amazingly entertaining trainwreck.

- Sonnen beats up Vanderlei after the latter apparently forgot how to defend takedowns.

- Fedor / Mittrione:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

- Michael Chandler's ankle dislocates seconds into his title defence, and he eventually loses via a doctor's stoppage a couple minutes later.

- Aaron Pico goes from an ESPN.com cover story on being the greatest prospect in MMA history to being tapped out in 26 seconds.

- Ryan Bader and Doug Anderson had their fight stopped in the 4th for the ref to cut a promo on them telling them to fight.

- Apparently the opener between Heather Hardy and Alice Yauger resembled your average soccer mom Thursday evening amaetur fight night opener.

Soooo... about what we were expecting? Mauro seemed cheerful about it all from what I saw, and it was good to hear Mike Goldberg back on commentary.

Tags
best thread on the forum , concussion discussion , fight sports , guy in your mma