The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 07-01-2018, 11:50 PM

LeBron is taking his talents to Venice Beach.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Golden State gets more ridiculous with each passing year. If they were not my adopted team* until the Sonics return, I would probably be on the hate train.

But they are, and I'm not.

*I tried to adopt the Blazers, then the Celtics, but it never took. I loved watching Curry play for Davidson in the tourney, and when the noise about him really picked up in 2015, I glommed on to GS and never looked back.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:57 PM
This Guy

The most infuriating thing about Boogie to the Warriors is that no one offered him more.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:07 PM

It's not that nobody offered him more, but nobody offered him sufficiently more. And I don't really blame anyone for a number of reasons.

1) I think there was maybe like a handful of teams in the league this off-season that even had any amount of cap space to sign free agents, and none of them good teams that would be close to contention if Cousins or anyone else signed with them.

2) He's coming off of an injury that is often career ending and he's a big, big fella so who wants to throw down max money on a gamble like that?

3) Reportedly other teams did offer more, but not sufficiently more to make up for the fact that on GS he can probably win a championship.

And that last one is a big kicker, because after watching Cousins closely for the first 6 or so years of his career, the only thing he cares about are loyalty and winning (which is where a lot of his bad attitude comes from, when he's often losing). Money is a distant distant third. So it makes total sense for him to rehab on the Warriors for a year, prove he can play/be a winner/good teammate, win a championship, and then go somewhere else next year for a big contract when a lot more teams will have cap space.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:38 PM

It's the end of an era in San Antonio. Not because of Kawhi leaving, although that mess left a really bad taste in my mouth. (Seriously, Kawhi, if you wanted out, please handle it with more class than this!)

No, it's because none of the "Big 3" are left on the team. Parker departed earlier this year (and I was okay with that), and now Manu Ginobili has retired. Manu was the man, one of the most inventive and interesting players I had the privilege to watch. That Euro-step, the herky-jerky drives, the nutmegs... dude belongs in the Hall of Fame, without question. I'm gonna miss him.

I don't know what's in store next year for the Spurs. Can they maintain? They basically hit 47 wins without Kawhi last year, but a lot of teams got better. How will DeRozan fit? Will Rudy Gay be completely healthy? What's the solution now at point guard? Lots of stuff in the air, and a lot was directly caused by Kawhi's departure. Still, getting back DeRozan, given how much Leonard tanked his value in the trade market, has to be seen as a win.

Next year should be fun... as long as I don't have to watch the Warriors hoist another trophy. I mean, seriously, I can't stand those guys anymore.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
It's the end of an era in San Antonio. Not because of Kawhi leaving...
It kinda is though. I dunno if both Parker and Manu split if Kawhi sticks around. But when he left they were probably like welp, no sense in us staying either. Kinda like when Ray Allen gave up on the Celtics, it gave everyone else permission to move on too.

I don't have a lot of hope for the Spurs being serious contenders, but I'm sure you'll witness more wins and better basketball than my Kings. LeBron moving West, to the Lakers no less, is such a huge kick in the balls. The Western Conference is an effing slaughterhouse.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:51 AM

I actually think Parker was going to move on anyway. His playing time was going to be greatly diminished behind Dejounte Murray and I assume Derrick White as well. He's said he wants to play for three more years, and he wasn't going to be able to do much in San Antonio. He's earned it at this point, so that's fine.

As for Ginobili, reading his letter seemed to indicate to me that he's treated this season as the last one. I do think Kawhi staying might have exerted some extra pull in giving it one more year, but he's 41. That's actually mind-boggling to think about; I was sure he wouldn't last until like 34 or so, with his reckless style of play.

But yes, you're also right in that Kawhi leaving also signaled the end, because there's no bridge now to the future. Losing an MVP candidate stings. Losing him the way we did stings even more.

Sorry you have to root for the Kings. I miss those days when Webber and crew were tearing it up. They were robbed against the Lakers that year in the WCF. (I hate the Lakers, too, because of the 0.4 shot that should have never counted, among other reasons.)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:24 PM
This Guy

Thing is, I could see the Spurs being better this year than last year. Parker, Ginobli and Kawhi didn't contribute all that much, and the Spurs added DeRozan. The West is going to be even tougher this year, but I there are other teams I think are at least as likely as the Spurs to be a casualty (Minnesota, Denver, Portland, New Orleans).

I'm not a Spurs fan, but I am going to miss Manu. He was fun to watch.

Last edited by Rascally Badger; 08-31-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:12 PM
Yukon Cornelius Fan

I think the commissioner should just throw the rules to the wind and unilaterally declare that since the east and west have such a competitive imbalance that only the teams with the best records will make the playoffs, conference affiliation be damned.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:00 PM

I think a lot of people would like to see that. The problem with that becomes schedule balancing however. If you're gonna pull from just one big pool, you have to make it so everyone has the same chances of making the playoffs. And as it stands right now, it still wouldn't be fair to people in the West because they have to play more teams from the West. A mediocre team like the Nuggets could probably make the playoffs easily if they played a majority of their games against Eastern Conference opponents.

I think the easiest fix would be expansion and realignment. Add two more teams so you're at an even 32 NBA teams. Add them both to the Western Conference (one in Seattle, the other in Las Vegas or Vancouver or Boise or IDGAF) and move a team like Minny or NOLA or Memphis to the Eastern Conference.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:33 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

The Storm are headed to their third WNBA Finals! Really hoping Bird gets another ring before riding off into the sunset.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:02 AM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I'm proud of the Storm winning their 3rd championship. I'm even prouder that they've joined the Lynx and Warriors in the lack of interest in a White House visit.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:24 AM
This Guy

Okay, so me and a group from the law school play basketball most Wednesdays after class. This week, after we had been playing for about an hour and a half, several people had to leave. To fill out the teams for 5 on 5, we invited a couple of players from the next court over to join. One of those players was a kid wearing jeans who couldn't have been more than 12 years old.

The guy I had been guarding was one of those who left, so I ended up matched up on the kid. This is not because I am the worst player and got the disrespect match up. I had been guarding a guy who is like 6'3, 300 lbs who loves to bully people in the post. I am the only person with the strength to push him off the block and stay between him and the basket. My reward for this one last game was to get the easy defensive assignment. I was also completely gassed. We'd been playing full court for close to 90 minutes and I'd been playing post defense on our group's equivalent of Shaq the whole time. I thought I could take it easy guarding this kid.

Game started with the kid immediately drilling a three pointer while I was playing very lax defense. No big deal, I wasn't really guarding him. The next trip down the court he got the ball in NBA 3-pointer territory and, even with me playing fairly close defense on him, he hit another three.

Now, the other team smelled blood in the water. Each trip down the court I had to fight through multiple off ball screens while trying to guard this kid like he was Steph Curry. After a few uneventful trips up and down the court, I lost track of the kid on a fast break and he hit another three. The score was now something like 8-3, with this kid being responsible for 6 of their points. (One of our baskets was a nifty finger-roll lay up I made off of a pick and roll; I was contributing elsewhere.)

I was locked in on defense now, though. I twice stole the ball from a 12-year-old and once swatted his shot into the next county, like a man. This lack of success lead to the other team moving away from their focus on getting the kid the ball, which lead to me reverting to my natural inclination to sneak away from my man and lurk in passing lanes. Shortly thereafter, I nearly got a steal, but only managed to deflect the ball . . . right to the wide open kid who hit a game winning three pointer.

So in one game guarding a small child, I allowed him to score 8 points in a game to 11. It was not my proudest moment on the court.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:30 PM

Pickup basketball is insane to me. A 3pt shot being worth 3pts is already a ridiculous proposition where the difference of a foot or two in distance makes a shot attempt worth 50% more. But it sounds like you were playing the typical brand of pickup where a three pointer is worth 2, and a regular basket worth 1. And if a 3pt shot is worth 200% of a regular shot, why does everyone not just take 3s all game long?

Good on you for hanging tough with the young blood, btw. If I had to play full-court for 20 minutes straight, I'd probably need an ambulance. And you downplay the stature of this kid, but man. 14 year olds are young, resilient, and can run circles around people our age.

Also just thinking about it. A kid who is 14, probably doesn't remember life where Stephen Curry wasn't in the NBA. How wild is that? Meanwhile, most of the players from the draft class of high school graduating class (the LeBron draft) are all washed up now. (Melo just got cut after 13 games with the Rockets.) I feel old as dirt.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:43 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
And if a 3pt shot is worth 200% of a regular shot, why does everyone not just take 3s all game long?
That is pretty much what our games look like. The only person who goes into the paint is the big guy, and I'm the only one with a clue how play post defense.

If your game relies on the pick and roll or passing out of the high post, it confuses the crap out of the people you are playing with.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:47 PM

The Jazz shit the bed in record-breaking fashion against Dallas the other night. 50 point loss. Good god.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
The Jazz shit the bed in record-breaking fashion against Dallas the other night. 50 point loss. Good god.
Jazz are good, but have some issues with their roster. Their personnel and play style make them vulnerable to whatever the insanity of this year's NBA meta is. This year is crazy. The pace every team in the league is playing at is unreal. Not a single team is averaging less than 100 points per game. That's never happened before! Last I checked too, every team was playing at a faster pace than the 7 second Suns from back in the day. If you have some flaws in your offense or defense in this season, other teams will exploit the shit out of it and the pace makes the damage hurt extra hard.

Also, the West is a fucking slaughter house. Right now, the 14-seed in the West is only 5.5 games back from the 1-seed. In the East, it's the 5-seed that's 6 games back. If the Jazz were in the Eastern Conference, they'd be the 8-seed right now instead of the 12-seed, and probably have a better record since they get to go up against Eastern teams more often. The West is just insanity. Somehow, every team got better over last year, except the top of the crop who basically just stayed pat or got a little worse. This is going to be a brutal season.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:46 PM

Man, my Spurs dropped three games by 30+ points. And now, they're getting some vengeance on the teams that beat them. Weird year. I figure it's going to be like this all year long. Part of me would like to see them bottom out to get a really good talent from the draft, but they're still in win-now mode. With "win" meaning maybe make it to the playoffs. No chance they challenge for a title this year, not with the defense they're playing right now.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:35 PM

Spurs have an uphill road to climb. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this would be the first season in like 20 years that they miss the playoffs. Besides the Suns, the worst team in the West is only 6 games behind the best; compare that with the East where the 8-seed is 9 games behind the best in the conference. The West is a brutal slaughterhouse. Something has to give, and a lot of teams are gonna head home in April in a painful fashion. I think the Spurs have a chance because Pop is a genius, and they still have some good players. But it's gonna take a sharp learning curve to get Derozan better integrated. And even then, the defense of the Spurs has gotten notably worse, and their best players now are ISO players which doesn't bode well in a year where the pace is through the roof. I imagine we'll have a better picture by February, because some teams will have given up or broken by then. But so far this year is riveting and insane. Like, WTF. Rockets were the 1-seed last year, and right now they're the 14-seed. WHAT IS HAPPENING

Tags
basketball , nba , ncaa , shut up and jam , wnba