The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 02-19-2018, 12:18 PM

Default The Big Thread of BASKETBALL

Talking Time, you don't talk enough about Basketball. Basketball is the best. March Madness is on our doorsteps, and soon after the NBA Playoffs. Let's talk some hoops!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I got to go to the UW game last week where they retired IT's number. They showed his buzzer beater against Arizona in the 2011 Pac-10 championship, and then he spoke and when he mentioned that he wished his sister was there to see it I almost cried right there.

We also blew out Colorado and stayed on the bubble. Pretty great night all around.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:48 AM

That sounds rad as hell, Issun. I adore Isaiah Thomas, and I really feel for the guy. This last year has been a total shitshow for him; he deserves better.

I looked forwards to filling this thread with all kinds of ku-RAZY NBA drama. The kinds of soap opera antics that has defined the NBA for a long while now has actually been amazing. It's the best drama on TV. But lots of crap in the last few days has completely taken the wind out of my sails:

-Kawhi Leonard is probably shutting it down for the season. He's like a top5 player in the league and this kinda kills the Spurs title chances if we're being honest. This entire saga with his ongoing injury is actually insane and so un-Spurs.

-Louisville had its title vacated over its prostitution scandal. And that's not even including the FBI's NCAA investigation into the NCAA's rampant corruption. I wouldn't be surprised to see Louisville and other programs get the death penalty eventually (it definitely should).

-A big expose from Sports Illustrated about the Dallas Mavericks front office just came out about rampant misogyny and sexual harassment over the course of decades. Terrible news, and I really feel bad for all the victims involved in this. I hope that slime-ball Mark Cuban's head rolls for this.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 AM

D O N O V A N
M I T C H E L L
Old 02-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Yukon Cornelius Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Louisville and other programs get the death penalty eventually (it definitely should).
The NCAA is never going to give the death penalty. They didn't do it in 2011 when Miami was taking money hand over fist from a guy running a ponzi scheme, they didn't do it to Baylor when the coach was letting his players be set up with prostitutes or commit rape. The NCAA's primary job is to keep the money flowing and to be a byzantine nightmare of bureaucracy that keeps players cowed.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:56 PM

I was gonna make this thread on the trade deadline but didn't so let me just take a second to remark about the cavs trades. I like em. that's all.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
D O N O V A N
M I T C H E L L
I hope he wins RotY. He deserves it. It's kinda ridiculous people can red-shirt their first year and still be eligible for RotY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
The NCAA is never going to give the death penalty.
If it were just the hooker-scandal, sure. We've already seen how they're going to react to that. I dunno about the FBI investigation though. Something big is going to happen there. Maybe Louisville won't get the death penalty, but anything is on the table here. Maybe the NCAA just straight up dissolves. It's going to be very interesting times for the NCAA. Especially if the government changes hands in the near future.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:11 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I hope he wins RotY. He deserves it. It's kinda ridiculous people can red-shirt their first year and still be eligible for RotY.
I don't have a problem with this. If you're hurt, you're hurt and your rookie year is the first year you actually play. Its not like it happens that often, what has it been, maybe 4 times? I can think of Blake Griffin and David Robinson.

That being said, I agree that Mitchell deserves it.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:55 PM

Nah, I disagree. They have a year's worth of NBA salary, NBA training/rehab, getting experience on an NBA bench, sitting through NBA film sessions, getting coached by NBA coaches/trainers, all things that normal rookies don't get the benefit of. It might not be their fault or anything, but it's not a level playing field. I also don't feel great about Bogdan Bogdanovic being a 'rookie' either when he's played professionally for years.

Edit: But I will say, it's ultimately a pretty academic discussion about something that doesn't really matter too much.

Last edited by WisteriaHysteria; 02-22-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:10 PM

Yeah, the RotY award I think would be super cool. I think Simmons could win it, and it'd probably be perfectly deserved. I'm more just stoked the Jazz have him. The kid is already more of a leader and a star than Hayward ever was. He's leading the team in PPG over this 11 game win streak. AS A ROOKIE. Dude is a beast. I thought this season was gonna suck, and it did for a while, but now there's a real chance we make the playoffs!
Old 02-23-2018, 11:07 PM

It's just... perfect...
Old 02-28-2018, 12:20 AM

I dunno what's more amazing about this gif:

Just the reaction itself, or that Jon Stewart, age 55, is still feeling these kinds of emotions on behalf the Knicks. You should know better by now, Jon! They're the Knicks!
Old 03-01-2018, 07:18 PM

James Harden is a bad man
Old 03-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

The MVP discussion has been over for a while now. Harden is my favorite NBA player that isn't on the Warriors and isn't named Isaiah, so I am fine with this. (Had to check to make sure Pierce was good and retired)
Old 03-01-2018, 10:04 PM
This Guy

MVP conversation is over? Did we all decide to give it to Anthony Davis?
Old 03-01-2018, 10:41 PM

AD definitely deserves MVP over Harden. AD is doing way more with far less. But nobody pays attention or cares in such a small market. Most of the talking heads I see are all in the tank for Harden right now. It's a real shame.

As an aside, I don't think I've hated a player as much as Harden as I have since maybe prime Kobe. And at least Kobe was fun to watch play basketball. Watching Harden wildly fling his arms in the air with no contact and not even make a legitimate attempt to make a shot at the basket about 20 times a game makes my soul hurt.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:16 PM

KobeSystem
Old 03-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

At this point what's one more trophy?
Old 03-08-2018, 07:48 PM

It's honestly laughable that he won this award. The Academy Awards are a joke. But good on Kobe. It's pretty interesting/funny to see how this will affect the aspirations of other players down the line. There's no way LeBron didn't see this and suddenly burn with competitive drive.

I watched AD tweak his ankle last night against my Kings. It's just a sprain, but who knows how long that'll keep him out. Huge bummer because I want to see the Pelis in the playoffs and AD make an MVP run, and now both are probably doomed (or very hard at the least). The West is too cutthroat.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Well Harden's all but guaranteed now I guess.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:57 AM

The jazz have won 15 of their last 17 games and haven't moved up a single spot in the western conference.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:29 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Aw, neither of my alma maters (USC, Colorado) are in. Bummer.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:30 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I'll try and get a bracket thread set up on Tuesday unless someone else wants to do it.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:46 AM

Hot damn, Anthony Davis with the triple double with blocks. I guess that ankle isn't a problem.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:40 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Hey guys, come fill out your brackets!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:39 PM
Yukon Cornelius Fan

Gah, what a painful loss. Up 6 with 24 seconds and Boston manages to make the comeback, argh.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:15 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspin
The official best team in the Eastern Conference, the Toronto Raptors, went up tonight against the actual best team in the East, LeBron James.
That is an amazingly true statement. Tonight he went for 35, 17! assits, 7 rebounds and 0 turnovers.

When Lebron retires, we are going to look at how many MVPs he won and realize that the number is too small by half. And miss watching the best basketball player to ever walk to the Earth work his magic.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:32 PM

I like LeBron. I think itís fair to make Jordan comps at this point. I donít think heís remotely the greatest ever.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:34 PM
This Guy

Having watched Jordan growing up and LeBron for the last 15 (Oh God) years, I don't think it's particularly close between the two. Maybe I'd think different if it'd ever actually watched Magic or Bird or Wilt or Russell, but in my book its LeBron all the way.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:27 AM

I honestly could go either way with Rookie of the Year. I think Donovan has been such a key figure for the Jazz this season, but Simmons is also just as impressive. It's a toss up, really. Do you take Donovan's high point average and absolutely clutch scoring, or Simmons' all-around game?

BUT. If Rudy Gobert gets snubbed for Defensive Player of the Year, then I will consider that pure robbery. Since he came back from injury, the Jazz have had the best defensive rating in the NBA, and it's not even close. His presence is the reason the Jazz have gone 23-4 in the last 27 games, and are in a position to make the playoffs after starting the season 19-28.

Tags
basketball , nba , ncaa , shut up and jam , wnba