The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 10-15-2018, 04:15 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Speaking of TAZ, the second graphic novel is available for preorder. Thatís, honestly, a LOT faster than I was expecting.

Murder on the Rockport Limited is one of the highest points for the series, so oh boy oh boy oh boy
Old 11-19-2018, 08:13 PM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
I think this episode has clearly sealed it for me that I'm much more interested in, say, hearing Travis open the episode with some goofy or embarrassing fact about his recent life events (such as the infamous Tybee Island shirts or his recent discussion of the vasectomy) than I do hearing them riff about an imagined version of $HOT_NEW_MEDIA_PROPERTY_NAME$
I felt completely at solidarity with this sentiment until the fucking Crimes of Grumblecore (or whatever) segment on this week's ep. Holy shit.

Partially because it was just gratifying to hear another human being affirm that nobody actually likes those movies.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:35 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I'm also curious when in the recut Deadpool that the piss guns are coming out
Old 11-22-2018, 06:17 AM
Banjo Kathoey

There is a new episode of the most important podcast.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:47 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

I didn't have to mouse over that link to know what it was going to be.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:09 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
I felt completely at solidarity with this sentiment until the fucking Crimes of Grumblecore (or whatever) segment on this week's ep. Holy shit.

Partially because it was just gratifying to hear another human being affirm that nobody actually likes those movies.
Unfortunately my wife, who is a big Potter nerd, still wants us to go see this movie, and wound up hearing that whole thing.

I just wish animate hefty brand garbage bag Depp wasn't in the damn thing.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:47 AM
Mystery Contraption

Doing my annual re-listen to the Candlenights episodes.

The 2015 episode is notable because you can plainly hear Justin becoming more and more drunk as the episode wears on (though still never even accidentally breaking the cardinal rule of Candlenights re: cusses) and also for having the line; ďThe colour scheme of Cnadlenights is Fire. And you canít decorate your house with that, because itís arson.Ē

Which never fails to get a big olí belly laugh from me.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:21 AM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gaVwTT6MiUE

I present a gift
Old 12-31-2018, 11:50 AM
Mystery Contraption

2019 may have my favorite theme of any year of MBMBaM, and I believe the one that is easiest to achieve.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:51 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

I go through mbmbam cycles, but I've started listening to it again recently. Anyway, the whole "Origami Steve" segment had me laughing so hard while driving I was a danger to myself and others. Here's a delightful little animation of it:

Old 01-13-2019, 01:08 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Yes! All of Louie Zong's animations are excellent.

I started listening to some MBMBAM again recently too, working my way backward through the ones I missed. I still get at least one big belly laugh per episode, I don't know how they're so consistent after 400+ episodes.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:57 AM
Bob

Putting in another supportive post for the The Adventure Zone: Amnesty. It's certainly not as fun and cheerful as Balance, but I think that the story itself is really well done, the players are playing their characters superbly, and it's a fun listen throughout. I personally wish they went back to a more fantastical setting and had fewer dire stakes to allow for some more fun, but I think having this as a bit of a palette cleanser after Balance has worked really well.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:57 PM
We just don't know.

I finally caught up with MBMBAM a few weeks ago and started The Adventure Zone. I'm on the first episode of Murder on the Rockport Limited. So far it's been OK; there have been some really good goofs, but like, it's a little... well, I dunno if this is a case of being that guy w/r/t TAZ,, but it probably is, and regardless I'm gonna be that guy anyway and say it's annoying that they're playing not very good D&D. Like, maybe I'm just too much of a stickler, but they're playing fast and loose with the rules to the point where some of the stuff is like, objectively wrong mechanically, and each time I wince a little. There's good flexibility, sure, but also like, sometimes it's clear that Griffin just don't even care and pulls stuff out of thin air.

But perhaps more concerning is that so much of it has just been Griffin railroading the others through his story with very little input from them. Clint even called him out one episode when he was going through like, a very long dialogue between himself and himself as two NPCs. We'll see how it develops - it's got good enough word of mouth and has gone long enough that I'm more than willing to keep listening in hopes of it getting better. Heck, even if it doesn't, it's not like it's bad, and probably I'd keep listening just to hear the goofs. Still though!
Old 02-09-2019, 12:09 AM
of the Black Falcons

Yeah, itís a radio show first and D&D way second. Also, it keeps getting better until one story slips a lot and then it takes a nose dive. If youíre annoyed that the players are being railroaded Iíd stop after The Eleventh Hour.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:31 AM
Mystery Contraption

Suffering Game is still good. Stolen Century can be skipped almost entirely (just the first and last episodes are at all relevant), and Song & Story is really really short.

And the live shows are all both excellent and manage to almost totally avoid railroading despite the intense time-constraints theyíre under.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:05 AM
Not even a *nice* duck!

I saw these boys do their advicing live

Theyíre funny

When the Birmingham live show goes up, listen for people yelling ďRoll TideĒ at random points

Iím the one wincing at them
Old 02-09-2019, 05:31 AM
Banjo Kathoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
But perhaps more concerning is that so much of it has just been Griffin railroading the others through his story with very little input from them. Clint even called him out one episode when he was going through like, a very long dialogue between himself and himself as two NPCs. We'll see how it develops - it's got good enough word of mouth and has gone long enough that I'm more than willing to keep listening in hopes of it getting better. Heck, even if it doesn't, it's not like it's bad, and probably I'd keep listening just to hear the goofs. Still though!
This is an odd suggestion but you might like Amnesty more. I'm loving it so far, even more than Balance; and part of that comes down to just liking the setting (and some of the characters) a lot more, but another part of it is that Griffin is a bit less precious with his players. Most recently, Justin rolled a single roll so bad that Griffin made him change class to severely depower him and seemingly killed off a major NPC before finishing their story arc.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Bob

Agree with Tegan. I also think that you'll enjoy it more by the time you get to the end of Rockport Limited. It's just the first chapter that's sort of a dud.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:24 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
But perhaps more concerning is that so much of it has just been Griffin railroading the others through his story with very little input from them.
This is only going to get worse. And then much worse. (Same with playing fast and loose with the rules of D&D.) I love everything else Griffin does a lot, and I love D&D, but I had to drop TAZ, and I was much happier for it, since I was pretty much just hate-listening by the end. FWIW, Rockport was one of my favourite arcs, so if you're still not feeling it by the end of that then I'd suggest that you stop.

ETA: Grats on getting caught up with MBMBaM, though! At my current rate I'll be joining you in... 2024?
Old 02-09-2019, 08:54 PM
hang high, soft star

I started off the same way in a sense as you Paul, and the big end of chapter action scene in Rockport is the moment I realized they're not actually playing DnD. There's a specific moment when Magnus does something and Griffin just straight up rolls with it, figuratively and literally. Magnus rolls great and does something that a level garbage fighter could never do in a million years.

And it's fucking awesome.

Like was said, it's a radio drama first and DnD game second, and AFAIK they're all having fun for most of it, the whole thing gets *surprisingly emotional* very often near the end in a way that's incredibly genuine. To the point where I'm actually getting annoyed with their recent live shows where I feel like they play like the Ember Island Players versions of their characters during live shows lately.

And if it's really just not doing it for you not matter what, check out Amnesty anyways. I think it's superior to Balance in just about every way possible, so it's got that going for it.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:42 AM
Feeling fluid.

In fairness to Griffin there are a fair number of instances further in where he has something pretty clearly planned out and they throw him for a complete loop, including one scenario that pretty much defines the entire endgame of Balance, and he just straight-up rolls with it. There's definitely always an elasticity to the gaming element, but as a D&D neophyte I had an absolute blast with it.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:58 AM
of the Black Falcons

Thatís great from a radio play perspective, but itís still extremely controlling from a D&D perspective. If I showed up to a game where the DM ever gave a monologue Iíd get up and leave.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:23 AM
Mystery Contraption

Justinís mission statement through most of Balance is to find ways to derail Griffins storytelling as much as possible. Especially during the live shows. Griff almost audibly deflates when he sees it coming each time and he just has to roll with it.

As for the Playing D&D Badly thing, well, you really donít notice if youíve never played D&D before, so if you can pull that off youíre golden! Canít offer much help, otherwise. Even with my total lack of knowledge of the game, Iím pretty sure theyíre pushing the rules to the breaking point with Petals to the Metal, but itís also the most relentlessly entertaining arc, so that more than makes up for it.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Thatís great from a radio play perspective, but itís still extremely controlling from a D&D perspective. If I showed up to a game where the DM ever gave a monologue Iíd get up and leave.
Really? No villainous speeches allowed?
Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 PM
of the Black Falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Really? No villainous speeches allowed?
The DM would have to earn it by building up to that moment, but even then I wouldn't want to sit and listen to most DMs ramble on. You could even start the speech and then say "she continues on in this way for some time," then cut back to what the party is doing in the meantime. The DM should be describing the world and the situation, but the players are the main characters of the story and the spotlight should stay on them.

The McElroys decided early on that it would be better to tell a good story and to use the trappings of D&D where it comes in handy than to play an actual D&D game and run the risk of it being less entertaining. I've listened to a pretty wide variety of D&D podcasts and a lot of them have dead air and the story takes forever to get going and fights can take multiple episodes. TAZ is much more radio friendly, but I can understand why someone who likes D&D a lot and heard that TAZ is a great D&D podcast might be disappointed that it doesn't feel like an actual D&D game.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:47 AM
Mystery Contraption

Sometimes, randomly listening to old episodes brings you bits you had forgotten about entirely and which you immediately fall in love with all over again.

This post brought to you by Roscoe the Potato Man
Old 02-19-2019, 02:59 PM
Banjo Kathoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Sometimes, randomly listening to old episodes brings you bits you had forgotten about entirely and which you immediately fall in love with all over again.

This post brought to you by Roscoe the Potato Man
Counterpoint: I'm listening to random old episodes and just happened to pick episode 315, which features an extended bit about what hypothetical blackmail material someone could have on Kevin Spacey.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:58 PM
Mystery Contraption

Gave Amnesty another shot, now that thereís a decent backlog of episodes and Iím willing to forgive it for not being Additional Amnesty, and Iím liking it a lot more now.

Also, while Iím willing to accept that Clint independently created Grunkle Stan, the first arcs Monster is Multi-Bear.

Coincidence stretches only so far, McElboyz!
Old 03-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Cobra and Phases Group

This is such a great analysis of the McElroy's and their ouvre, I highly recommend it.

Tags
boys , deals warlock , em bam bam , gotta have my vape , great job! , hamilton , hooked on the brothers , just like bart , munch squad , peepums nastygum , shrimp heaven now , twentyserpentine , unless... , vore , what's up you cool baby , yahoo answers