The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 06-17-2016, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
There's gotta be some kinda baby lifting exercise. Attach baby to a stick or a cord and swing 'im around?
Haha! She'd probably love that. Her mom, on the other hand...
Old 06-18-2016, 11:48 AM

30 miles on a bike today. Rode as part of a marathon. Not sure the exact elevation climb, but I think it was around 500 feet. Been training for this. I feel pretty accomplished.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:38 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
30 miles on a bike today. Rode as part of a marathon. Not sure the exact elevation climb, but I think it was around 500 feet. Been training for this. I feel pretty accomplished.
Holy shit! Awesome!
Old 06-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Still writing out 2018.

In an effort to do much more body movin', I looked on Craigslist and picked up a Fitbit for fairly cheap. I then found out that you can challenge friends to step count competitions. Long story short, I have very competitive friends and my legs hurt.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:34 PM
We just don't know.

Man, turns out a sword isn't really something you can just, like, up and buy. Not a lot of people make them! They're not, like, mass-produced! You can't just like stroll into Play It Again or pick one up on Amazon to round out your free shipping!

It seems even the standard normal armorers have wait lists of 1-3 months... and some among those are infamous for being even longer. I've heard of wait times over a year! The secondhand market isn't necessarily thriving, either! Dang it all!
Old 06-20-2016, 08:16 AM

My cousins came over and I played goalie in a game of soccer with them. I thought I was going to die.

I really need to move it move it
Old 06-20-2016, 10:49 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

My relay partner for the triathlon broke his toe, so it looks like I'm going to be doing the swim and the run instead of just the swim. Eek!
Old 06-22-2016, 04:50 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Its definitely got nothing to do w Ali that I've started doing boxing stuff again but holy dogshit how did I do 8 rounds of shadowboxing at 22 when I can't do 2 now wo my calves locking up
Old 06-22-2016, 05:46 PM
nobody in particular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixo View Post
In an effort to do much more body movin', I looked on Craigslist and picked up a Fitbit for fairly cheap. I then found out that you can challenge friends to step count competitions. Long story short, I have very competitive friends and my legs hurt.
I work retail.

My friends no longer challenge me.

...I am fundamentally lonely.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:00 PM
We just don't know.

Welp I just bought a sword so I guess I'm in it to win it now
Old 06-23-2016, 12:04 PM

What sword did you get? My brother and I have Hanwei and Darksword beaters that have served us very well. A hand a half and an arming sword, respectively. The Hanwei handles really well, for a cheap sword, and after mucho bashing around it's in top condition. I never used the arming sword once much, because shield combat ain't my bag

Last edited by Galadrome; 06-24-2016 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Obviously I used the sword, who wouldn't? IT'S A SWORD!
Old 06-23-2016, 01:10 PM
We just don't know.

I got a federschwert, since that's what we use in KdF longsword. It should look more or less like this:

Pretty standard all-around practice/sparring/tourney longsword. I ordered from Castille, a semi-local armory in Oregon. They're relatively new to the game but have had really promising reviews, and they're cheaper for similar quality as many other more expensive ones (and have significantly cheaper shipping than the others because of the distance, not to mention a much shorter waitlist. We're talking 2-4 weeks instead of that many months). The only thing is I paid a little extra for a longer blade since theirs ran a little short, which cut a bit of the price difference, but ah well. The price differences in any direction were actually not too drastic, anyway.

I looked at Regenyei which is kind of the standard, but the Castille is said to compare favorably and the regenyei would have cost more. Ensifer could have been a little cheaper but they never got back to me about how much shipping from Europe would've been. Neyman too, good product reviews but bad customer service reviews for American buyers. Most of these are, surprise surprise, based in Europe. Hanwei apparently no longer makes feders, which is fine by me since they're generally reviewed quite poorly. Glad to hear yours is holding up well! That's good. I'm sure most of them are just fine and the difference is mainly noticed by people who actually compete regularly and such. I just figured if I was gonna get something, might as well get something I can continue to use for a long time instead of something I'd have to eventually upgrade from for not that big a savings.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:23 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

this sword ownery talk warms my aged dying heart. Carry on.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:58 PM
We just don't know.

Honestly the reason I got a sword, especially this early in the game, is to be able to practice outside of Practice. And I live in a pretty small apartment.

Which means I'm gonna be That Guy in the park swinging a sword around.

I'm actually quite excited for this.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Be careful about that. My sister in law got some video of a neighbor who was practicing outside their row house being carted off by the police. You might want to communicate with people about your practice in advance.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:56 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Honestly the reason I got a sword, especially this early in the game, is to be able to practice outside of Practice. And I live in a pretty small apartment.

If you do not grow the full Van Dyke I call you coward

Old 06-23-2016, 10:48 PM
Still writing out 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfy View Post
I work retail.

My friends no longer challenge me.

...I am fundamentally lonely.
Well that's no good. Wanna add me? PM your fitbit stuff and we can throw down, yeah?
Old 06-24-2016, 05:33 AM

Quote:

There's one of Those Guys in my neighbourhood now. He's always practicing sword fighting or doing tai chi. He's a badass old bearded man.

Cool that you're doing German fencing. I studied Johannes Liechtenauer's writing a lot back when I did fun sword things. I've used a feder once and it had a lot more bend than the relatively stiff bastard sword that I used.

Does the place you train at have different kinds of fencing (Shield, sabre, rapier, etc) and what do you use for armour? I made pickel barrel armour and wearing a fencing mask, haha.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:58 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Be careful about that. My sister in law got some video of a neighbor who was practicing outside their row house being carted off by the police. You might want to communicate with people about your practice in advance.
Oh no D:

I'm telling myself that 1. it's Seattle so it won't be the weirdest thing people will have seen even that day, 2. I plan to be very open and talkative and cautious with other people, and 3. I definitely plan on looking up the relevant laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
If you do not grow the full Van Dyke I call you coward
If my face were capable of such a wonder it would have been done long ago, but my forebears have doomed me to smoothness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
There's one of Those Guys in my neighbourhood now. He's always practicing sword fighting or doing tai chi. He's a badass old bearded man.

Cool that you're doing German fencing. I studied Johannes Liechtenauer's writing a lot back when I did fun sword things. I've used a feder once and it had a lot more bend than the relatively stiff bastard sword that I used.

Does the place you train at have different kinds of fencing (Shield, sabre, rapier, etc) and what do you use for armour? I made pickel barrel armour and wearing a fencing mask, haha.
Yeah, our league has a bunch of different classes. The medieval class focuses on Fiore (Italian) and they do Longsword, rapier, side sword? and even some dagger grappling?; there's our KdF class (longsword, messer, wrestling); people do some sword-and-buckler (if I can wake up early enough on Sunday I might even join them...), there's some cutlass and/or backsword with the victorian group, and more. There's even more equipment hanging around, including some mockup spears and even a lucerne, someone's got a huge wooden round shield they bring now and then which is pretty rad... buncha nerds. :D
Old 06-24-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Oh no D:

I'm telling myself that 1. it's Seattle so it won't be the weirdest thing people will have seen even that day, 2. I plan to be very open and talkative and cautious with other people, and 3. I definitely plan on looking up the relevant laws.
You can be a cooler version of the Bremerton ninja.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Not 100% a dick

I've decided to start running instead of just walking. My regular 45-minute walk is down to 27:30ish when I push myself really hard, and I hope to shave that down to about 22ish by September.

Don't know how long I'll be able to keep this up, but so far, so good.

Last edited by TE-Ryan; 06-30-2016 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:34 PM
We just don't know.

I went out to the steep alley behind my apartment and did hill sprints and now I'm dead, goodbye everyone
Old 07-04-2016, 07:38 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
I went out to the steep alley behind my apartment and did hill sprints and now I'm dead, goodbye everyone
The agony in your leg butt fills you with determination
Old 07-07-2016, 11:02 AM
We just don't know.

Had an awesome longsword practice on Tuesday, although conditioning at the end (mountain climbers, medicine ball catch, and burpees) left me feeling physically ill until well after I got home and could rehydrate/eat in earnest. I need to get better about making the bus right after practice because standing there waiting for a half hour sucks extra hard when you're feeling faint.

I also changed my sword order to have a shorter hilt because after taking a tape measure to class and asking people if I could measure their swords (note to self: try this in a bar) I realized 12" plus the pommel was just way too long and 10" would more than suffice.

Yesterday I took a break from the hard workouts to recover, but it was an absolutely beautiful day so I decided to do the hour and a half walk home from my appointment across town instead of take the bus, plus I detoured through the Arboretum to spend some time reading on a bench and take in some green. Got a bit of sweat up when I hit a hill, and this is seattle so there were plenty.

Tonight, ringen (wrestling) and messer (one-hand sword/long knife). And probably another sickening conditioning session at the end. Go go stamina building. Fuck. Gonna bring gatorade along with water this time.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:20 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

What you're describing sounds like low blood sugar. Cut the gatorade with water 50/50 and keep sipping on it through practice.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:23 AM

Yesterday I went to the gym with my brother. My brother, who is nine years younger than me, goes to the gym literally every day. I don't really care for the gym, but it was helpful having someone there who could kinda guide me and tell me what I should do.

We started with a 15 minute run on the treadmill, then did chest/arm weight stuff for about 45 minutes. First we did a ton of push ups, which sucked. Then we worked on the machines. I can't remember the names of the things we did, but we did a set of 10/7/5/3/1/3/5/7/10 reps, in that order. Each time we went down in reps, we went up in weights. We did that with two different exercises. Then we did a thing where we lifted barbells up above our heads in a way that worked out our triceps.

Anyway, today I had trouble lifting my arms to put on my shirt, so that's fun.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:11 PM
We just don't know.

Yeah, I'm gonna take care to eat more for lunch and sip on the gatorade throughout.

My working theory so far is this: I seem to have a really low base metabolic rate - if I'm not physically active I really don't need a lot of food at all. I never starve myself; I always eat when I'm hungry, until I'm not. I just don't get hungry that much, and so I don't eat a whole lot of food. So when I DO exercise it sometimes turns out that I'm way underfed for what I'm trying to do; the gap to make up between "doing nothing" and "BREAK THE EARTH IN TWAIN WITH MY BARE HANDS" is that much bigger. I try to stay conscious of it and eat more to prepare for bigger exertions, and I usually feel better throughout workouts when I do.

I also just gas out really fast at intense exercise. Unrelated to food? Low blood sugar? Bad aerobic/cardio endurance? Don't know.

It'd probably be ideal to just eat more and keep exercising more and get into higher baselines for both...

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
Anyway, today I had trouble lifting my arms to put on my shirt, so that's fun.
Good, that feeling means it's working! That's the feeling of weakness leaving the body!

Sounds like your brother threw you right into the deepest part of the pool, though.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:26 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

8379 steps today.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Good, that feeling means it's working! That's the feeling of weakness leaving the body!

Sounds like your brother threw you right into the deepest part of the pool, though.
Yeah, he did for real. He said it was to make sure my first day at the gym with him was the hardest one, so that when we go again I know what to expect. He's done all sorts of like ROTC physical training stuff, thought he was going to enlist someday. But yeah, he's very much attuned to bootcamp-style fitness.

Anyway, re: appetite, I have the opposite problem! I tend to eat too much. This stems from the fact that if I'm the least bit hungry at night I can't fall asleep. I find the only thing that actually curbs my appetite is an intense workout. Post-workout, I don't feel inclined to eat much at all, and I sleep better than normal.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:04 PM
We just don't know.

I should say the appetite was an adjustment I made purposefully. I used to eat too much and eat poorly besides.

Come to think of it this is just another angle on the whole "food is fuel" philosophy that helped me in the first place.

Tags
a-1 sound , krush groovin'