The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 01-04-2019, 06:06 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

The verdict is in. "Head Cage" by Pig Destroyer slays.

Just wanted you all to be aware.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post

Heck yeah, it does. The latest Psycroptic, "As the Kingdom Drowns", has been getting a ton of play since I picked it up. It's still got a ton of riffing, but they also can lay back and work an atmospheric vibe.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:21 PM
HAMKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post

Oh hell yes, it does! Much better than Book Burner (which I also liked). My fave might always be Phantom Limb, but IT'S NOT THE PAST ANYMORE AND THINGS IS DIFFERENT
Old 01-08-2019, 05:43 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I revisited Terrifyer and Phantom Limb a few times, and Book Burner once. Something in me has changed since the last time I listened to Phantom Limb, because wow, that album is rad. It is thrashy as all fuck.

Book Burner has always been a bummer for me. It has some strong material, it's not a bad album. But it sounds so stunted and dull compared to what came before it.

Head Cage, after one spin, left me feeling blah. I was disappointed. Then I listened to it again, and bam, it just clicked. By the end of the fourth listen, I knew it was special. It ALSO is thrashy as fuck, but in a way that is way more groovy than anything else they've done. And they've always been fairly groovy. Like, I'm not saying Head Cage is better than their previous work, but I think I'm convinced it's as good as anything else they've done, it's just different.

And Ryan fucking loves groove, and this album delivers on that front. The guitar playing seems a little more technical than before as well, and the songcraft too. I mean it's not an album for purists, that's for sure. But I stopped being a purist a long time ago. It's almost not a grind album. It's like...ok yeah it's really grindy for thrash, or it's extremely thrashy and groovy for grind, but however you want to look at it, it's just dope. And part of why it's so good, is even if it isn't a pure grind assault, or whatever, this album is fucking brutal and kick-ass. It's a clean modern production, but it doesn't suffer from the stunted sound of Book Burner. No, Head Cage has meat and teeth, in all aspects. Production, songwriting, performances, all of it.

This is way more than I intended to write, sorry. Hail Pig Destroyer!
Old 01-09-2019, 02:04 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Head Cage is maybe my top album of 2018. Fully unreal.

Tags
koЯnsyrup , music , \m/