The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 02-01-2018, 02:37 PM
Still writing out 2018.

Default Quidditch is a thing you can go play.

From the US Quidditch rule page:

"Quidditch is a mixed gender contact sport with a unique mix of elements from rugby, dodgeball, and tag. A quidditch team is made up of seven athletes who play with brooms between their legs at all times. While the game can appear chaotic to the casual observer, once familiar with the basic rules, quidditch is an exciting sport to watch and even more exciting to play."

So like rugby, field hockey, and dodgeball got together and had a magical sport baby.

They're big on gender equality in the sport, and trans-friendly in the language they use. So bonus points for that!

Anyone ever played/know someone who has or watched a match?
Old 02-01-2018, 02:40 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I think I'll stick with swimming. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:45 PM
happy eelpiphany

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

wait, in this bold new era of small drone craft, the seeker is played by a human in gold clothes running around??!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
wait, in this bold new era of small drone craft, the seeker is played by a human in gold clothes running around??!
Whoa whoa whoa. You were probably just joking but no, I think you're onto something there!

If we can have robot death matches televised on prime time why not flying robot soccer?
Old 02-01-2018, 05:00 PM
I have a Plan

Yeah I know a guy who plays it and watched him practice a bit. It's silly, but not that much moreso than any other sport.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:21 PM

Hello all,

"I know a guy who plays it" Kalir says. I'm Asakura, friend of Kalir's/Satonakaja's/Asema's. And yes, I do indeed play quidditch. I'm Vice President of UC Irvine's team, known as Anteater Quidditch. The game has actually existed for 12 years now. It started at an east coast school called Middlebury College, currently functions as a national league under US Quidditch with 200+ teams, and college and community divisions. The national championship this year is in Texas(USQ moves it around each year).

P.S. The drone snitch idea is an old joke actually. Snitching has become a popular thing in of itself at this point, with it being a point of pride if you are good enough to keep throwing the seekers around for 10+ minutes or so.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:54 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

I was thinking the Snitch must have an iron-clad honor code, since it'd be trivial to throw a close game to either team. But I can also see the fun in Snitching - I assume one strat would be to draw Seekers toward opposing Beaters who have a Bludger ready.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:59 AM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

My wife's old roommates played Quidditch. I've even seen a match. I thought it was aggressively dumb (I couldn't take it seriously, them running around with pointless brooms lol), but they seemed to have fun and like you said, it was gender inclusive (one of her roommates was a big burly dude and the other was a fairly tiny woman, and they both played on the same team), so that's cool, I guess.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:29 AM
We just don't know.

The broom always struck me as a bit much. Like, I get it, the original sport is played on flying brooms, but I'm not sure if it really adds anything to the game besides the annoyance of having to "ride" one just because.

I also never liked the idea of the snitch ending the game, but I never liked that in actual HP so that's not the sport's fault.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Still writing out 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura View Post
Hello all,

"I know a guy who plays it" Kalir says. I'm Asakura, friend of Kalir's/Satonakaja's/Asema's. And yes, I do indeed play quidditch. I'm Vice President of UC Irvine's team, known as Anteater Quidditch. The game has actually existed for 12 years now. It started at an east coast school called Middlebury College, currently functions as a national league under US Quidditch with 200+ teams, and college and community divisions. The national championship this year is in Texas(USQ moves it around each year).

P.S. The drone snitch idea is an old joke actually. Snitching has become a popular thing in of itself at this point, with it being a point of pride if you are good enough to keep throwing the seekers around for 10+ minutes or so.
Oh cool! Happy to have you pop in. What position do you play? Best of luck in making it to the championship in Round Rock! My city applied to be the host for that one, but didn’t get picked. We are hosting a regional tournament this month though, which is what brought Quidditch to my attention.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:08 PM
That bug is NUTS!

Pronouns: he/him

Looking at the rules I would immediately be suspicious of the Snitch being predisposed to one team or the other. Far better for two Snitches to be released, one aligned to each team and have them be hunted by the opposing Seeker.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:46 PM
King Of Space-Time

Eh... drone tech is getting to the point where an actual snitch is becoming feasible.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

But would you really want to include an object that you have to catch it with your hand, and whose means of locomotion is whirring blades?
Old 02-03-2018, 04:35 PM
King Of Space-Time

Easy enough. Enclose the drone in a fine mesh ball
Old 02-03-2018, 09:10 PM
HAMKING

We play a version of this (minus brooms) at the end of rugby practice sometimes and it is a hoot.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:31 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Easy enough. Enclose the drone in a fine mesh ball
Or just give each seeker a net.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:51 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
The broom always struck me as a bit much. Like, I get it, the original sport is played on flying brooms, but I'm not sure if it really adds anything to the game besides the annoyance of having to "ride" one just because.
Same here, I watched a video once and couldn't help but find it incredibly silly. But, hey, if people enjoy it, more power to them!

Thinking a bit on it, though, I assume the broom is there to emulate the handicap it supposes on the original game as well: beside playing the game you have to be mindful of keeping your balance on it and you'll need to keep at least one hand on it (which you can't then use with the ball/s you're in charge of) if you want to move fast.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:59 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixo View Post
Oh cool! Happy to have you pop in. What position do you play? Best of luck in making it to the championship in Round Rock! My city applied to be the host for that one, but didn’t get picked. We are hosting a regional tournament this month though, which is what brought Quidditch to my attention.
Hey, that's my hometown! Maybe I'll drag the kids there.

Is the seeker the only one allowed to grab the snitch? Was that the case in the books? I was under the impression that there was nothing stopping anyone else except that they had too much on their plates to keep track of the little, golden speedball.

Tags
snitches need stitches