The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-16-2014, 06:08 PM
I. Love. It.

I guess this is our official Dragon Ball thread now so here's the latest episode of Dragon Ball Z Abridged, if anyone wants to see Vegeta get his clocked cleaned by Android 18.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:57 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Apparently Bardock was sent back in time by Freeza's deathball, somehow, and in the distant past he saves the proto-Saiyans from one of Freeza's predecessors, Lord Chilled. The whole thing is very ridiculous and I love TFS's take on it.

Also relevant: Episode of Bardock Abridged, their take on the original 'Goku's Dad' special.
Ah, that part I knew. I guess I'll go ahead and check out both, thanks!

Quote:
I guess this is our official Dragon Ball thread now so here's the latest episode of Dragon Ball Z Abridged, if anyone wants to see Vegeta get his clocked cleaned by Android 18.
Hmm, 39 episodes? Not too bad... did they do the original first?

I just thought they'd been doing this a lot more/longer...
Old 01-19-2014, 07:04 AM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
Hmm, 39 episodes? Not too bad... did they do the original first?

I just thought they'd been doing this a lot more/longer...
Nah, they haven't done OG Dragon Ball, that's all Z. They have been at it for awhile, but now and then there are longer breaks between episodes than usual, especially between 'seasons'. The first 10 episodes cover up to the end of the Vegeta fight, then 11-30 cover all the Namek stuff and the Freeza fight, and now we're in the 30s with the Android stuff.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:41 PM

Wow, it really IS abridged, isn't it?

I can see they've done specials, too; how many of those are there to go through?
Old 01-19-2014, 05:01 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I know they did Tree of Might, World's Strongest, the original Bardock, Father of Goku, Lord Slug, Dead Zone and Cooler's Revenge.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:34 PM

Oh hey, apparently the last time I was all caught up was a year ago. Good times.

It's actually remarkable how much DBZ Abridged resembles the pacing and humor of just plain Dragon Ball sometimes. Particularly any time Goku opens his mouth.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:49 AM

Cool, I just watched the two Bardock things, and read up on the latter one again. They weren't Saiyans, though, but a race called the Plants of the planet Plant, which is what planet Vegeta used to be called before the Saiyans fought and won over the Tuffles.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:59 AM
Condiment connoisseur

Hey man why you callin' 'em "Tuffles," it's that stupid frothy mugs of water censorship, they're called TSUFURU-JIN, you baka gaijin

One thing I really loved about the first Bardock special (still haven't seen the second) is how creative Bardock is with his fighting. Yeah, there was still a fair bit of flying around and energy blastin', but the big multi-opponent fights as a whole feel more original-DB-ish than Z stuff from the same time period.

Also, I'm a huge fan of the movies. Like, almost every single one. They're fun hour-long exhibition fights that tend to have nice production values and Goku getting punched in the nuts.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:54 AM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
World's Strongest
World's Strongest was actually done before they officially formed Team Four Star, though it pretty much features all the same guys. But I don't think you'll find it on their official channel, though it might still be up on Youtube somewheres.

They also did the Dead Zone during this period, but they just re-did the Dead Zone so maybe World's Strongest is due for a re-make as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymooo View Post
They're fun hour-long exhibition fights that tend to have nice production values and Goku getting punched in the nuts.
I'm honestly waiting for them to do that movie more than the Brooly ones. Though they only tend to do one abridged movie a year and they did the Dead Zone this time around instead of the second Cooler movie so we're just that much farther from it. :/
Old 01-20-2014, 04:07 AM
Condiment connoisseur

Dead Zone, Tree of Might, Bojack Unbound, and Wrath of the Dragon (had to look up the US title, I always just call it "movie 13") are my favorites. It was pretty awesome seeing the whole team fighting alongside each other in Tree of Might, and the animation quality in all four of them is very nice and smooth.

You mentioning it reminds me that I used to love the Broly movies as a kid, but now they're not all that interesting. I do love how Vegeta gets like thirty seconds total to fight Broly and then never gets a chance to redeem himself.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:28 AM
I. Love. It.

Yeah, Brooly/Brolly/Broly is definitely one of those characters whose coolness decreases rapidly as you grow up. There really isn't much to him.

I mean, I guess Goten peed on him that one time, that was funny (?).

Still, TFS will likely do a good job with his movies whenever they get around to him.

Their take on the Bojack movie should be interesting too, he has already had some dialogue in the TFS series as he occasionally pesters King Kai from within his Planetoid. At the moment he only has kind of a stock Pirate-y voice, though, so who knows what they'll do with him once they actually get to his movie.

Last edited by SpoonyBardOL; 01-20-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:31 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Yeah, Brooly/Brolly/Broly is definitely one of those characters whose coolness decreases rapidly as you grow up. There really isn't much to him.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Hey man why you callin' 'em "Tuffles," it's that stupid frothy mugs of water censorship, they're called TSUFURU-JIN, you baka gaijin
Ease of reference. Is the board better versed in the Japanese names? I can stick to that if so.

...though I refuse to append "jin" to the end of everything.

Quote:
Dead Zone, Tree of Might, Bojack Unbound, and Wrath of the Dragon (had to look up the US title, I always just call it "movie 13")
You son of a...
Old 01-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Condiment connoisseur

Quote:
Ease of reference.
Oh, I was totally joking and don't care at all. I always read "Saiyan" as closer to "scion" instead of "say-en," but since everybody just says "say-en" (and nobody really cares) it's something my weeaboo high school self learned to live with.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:04 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
World's Strongest was actually done before they officially formed Team Four Star, though it pretty much features all the same guys. But I don't think you'll find it on their official channel, though it might still be up on Youtube somewheres.

They also did the Dead Zone during this period, but they just re-did the Dead Zone so maybe World's Strongest is due for a re-make as well.
Huh, I didn't realize that, since I knew it was the pre-TFS guys, but I'm watching the remade Dead Zone Abridged...it's so much better. The original version was far from their best work. I'm not 5 minutes in and it's cracking me up ("And he's your size! You can rock that shit!")
Old 01-23-2014, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Oh, I was totally joking and don't care at all. I always read "Saiyan" as closer to "scion" instead of "say-en," but since everybody just says "say-en" (and nobody really cares) it's something my weeaboo high school self learned to live with.
Huh, I remember when it was that trufans would always say "Saiya-jin" and mean it.

My argument was generally that if I started speaking Japanese, then I'll call them "Saiya-jin".
Old 01-23-2014, 04:18 AM

This thread really has gotten pretty far from its original intent, what with all this adding the Z back on.

That's the stuff.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Huh, I remember when it was that trufans would always say "Saiya-jin" and mean it.

My argument was generally that if I started speaking Japanese, then I'll call them "Saiya-jin".
The official Mexdub actually does call them that, going as far as pluralizing the term with an "es," "Saiyajines," even as the Japanese -jin already encompasses singular and plural usage. By the same token, the green-sky planet is called "Planeta Namekusei" and its people are "Namekuseijin."

So to some fans, it's just natural and what they grew up with, even if they're not making any effort to be "trufans."
Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:

Trukk not Munky
Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
This thread really has gotten pretty far from its original intent, what with all this adding the Z back on.

TLEOsUIF_4c

That's the stuff.
Fuck yeah, this is what I'm talking about!

DB is the shit. Look at all that adventuring!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 AM
That crazy bird guy

You're no "trufan" until you start saying "Torankusu" and "Misutaa Satan", and mean it.

By the way, what is the deal with Mr. Satan? He is my favorite character after the original DB, but what am I supposed to call him in English?
In some of my old English dubbed episodes, he's called Mr. Satan, while in others, he's Hercule. In the Gamecube game Tenkaichi Budokai, he's Mr. Satan, while in Budokai 2 for PS2, he's Hercule. In my girlfriend's Viz-books they have even gone out of their way to edit the backgrounds to say "Hercule".

Is it some European/American thing?
I'm confused.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Concerned parents are terrified of potential Satanic messages coming out of something with a guy named Mr. Satan.

Speaking of US censorship, Mr. Popo is now a blue penguin man in the reruns airing on local TV.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:29 AM
I. Love. It.

Default I just like TFS is all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Speaking of US censorship, Mr. Popo is now a blue penguin man in the reruns airing on local TV.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:47 AM
That crazy bird guy

Woah!
Yeah, I can see Mr. Popo more than the name Mr. Satan, but couldn't they just have removed his enormous lips, like they did in certain translations of the manga?
He's the servant of God, not a smurf.

I'm not used to this level of absurd censorship.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Condiment connoisseur

On one of the backing cards for the US toys, he was referred to as Mr. Savage, which would've been a pretty cool compromise.

And yes, Mr. Satan is amazing. He and Krillin are my all-time favorites.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:56 PM
gatchapon 3*

MEEESTA SATAN!!!!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadaph View Post
Yeah, I can see Mr. Popo more than the name Mr. Satan, but couldn't they just have removed his enormous lips, like they did in certain translations of the manga?
Re-colorizing strikes me as less work-intensive than redrawing every mouth on every frame. See also: Jynx.

Last edited by Sprite; 01-23-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Condiment connoisseur

SA-TA-N! SA-TA-N! SA-TA-N!

One thing I love about the old tournaments was how Jacky Chun (who is totally not Master Roshi) would always whoop Goku's ass. It was a given! Also, Goku losing to Tenshinhan in another tournament--that was pretty cool.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Space Prez

Quote:

I'm not used to this level of absurd censorship.
I find it to be a perfectly acceptable form of censorship.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post

That's the stuff.
Technically, Z is cartoon only; the manga Dragon Ball ran from the beginning through the Buu Saga, so...

(These days, it's all just "Dragon Ball" to me, just the same.)

Quote:
You're no "trufan" until you start saying "Torankusu" and "Misutaa Satan", and mean it.

By the way, what is the deal with Mr. Satan? He is my favorite character after the original DB, but what am I supposed to call him in English?
In some of my old English dubbed episodes, he's called Mr. Satan, while in others, he's Hercule. In the Gamecube game Tenkaichi Budokai, he's Mr. Satan, while in Budokai 2 for PS2, he's Hercule. In my girlfriend's Viz-books they have even gone out of their way to edit the backgrounds to say "Hercule".

Is it some European/American thing?
I'm confused.
I thought at some point, they just sort of pulled a Peach/Eggman and made his full name "Hercule Satan"?

Quote:
On one of the backing cards for the US toys, he was referred to as Mr. Savage, which would've been a pretty cool compromise.
Probably a potential legal minefield there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Re-colorizing strikes me as less work-intensive than redrawing every mouth on every frame. See also: Jinx.
Oil Man got the same treatment in Mega Man Powered Up. It was around the same time, too, I think.

Tags
anime , down with megathreads! , im flyin like goku , naaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiil! , ningen , over 9000 , puff-puff , read the manga , sparking!!! , supah saiyahjin goddo , the abridged series , yamchas all the way down