The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

View Poll Results: How would you like to bend it?
Like Beckham! 16 15.24%
Fire is so fiery! 6 5.71%
H2O fo sho! 22 20.95%
Earth, baby. I can make yo bed rock. 35 33.33%
Air bending is obviously the best! 26 24.76%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
And all that stuff is really the icing on the cake. The plot and characters and everything are great, but the fight choreography is amazingly well thought out for a kids' cartoon show.
Avatar's great choreography is largely thanks to this guy.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Not a Beer

Yes, I've watched the box set bonus discs too.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Better be the real thing.

OMG. Earthbending pro wrestlers. I love this series.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:31 AM
is Earnest

I guess it's only about $70 on amazon for the whole series, which is a lot cheaper than I expected based on how much each DVD was originally going for. I might pick it up at some point, because this is one of the best series out there. As Tycho would say, it's got continuity! Plus everything everyone else said.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Rawrther.

So I just finished this. Man, that was pretty great. It's one of those shows that is so well done, and the world is put together so well, that I would just LOVE more prequel or sequel series to see more adventures set in that world, but at the same time, I really don't think I'd want any more for fear that, well, that it went Star Wars Prequel trilogy on us, and crap everything up.

oh dear god what a run on sentence have i made
Old 07-07-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
I guess it's only about $70 on amazon for the whole series, which is a lot cheaper than I expected based on how much each DVD was originally going for. I might pick it up at some point, because this is one of the best series out there. As Tycho would say, it's got continuity! Plus everything everyone else said.
It's on iTunes too. Not sure how the price compares, though.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Dr. of Ys-anomics

So the movie was OK. More because it was cool to see things from the show done in live action than anything else. I certainly wouldn't call it god awful anyway. Should be quite fun for the kiddies, which seems like the intended audience anyways.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Not a Beer

So hey, new Avatar cartoon sequel involving the original creators officially confirmed, finally:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100721/...egend_of_korra

Who's excited? I'm excited. Apparently there are skyscrapers in the Earth Kingdom now. I'm guessing this means Toph had students and they've been busy in the intervening years...
Old 07-21-2010, 11:49 AM
It's all good, man

I like the idea of revisiting the really cool setting without doing anything to mess up the great story they already told with Aang and the guys. Will I... will I actually be watching a show on Nickelodeon again?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:53 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Well at least some good news happened. It seems like they're avoiding the whole UK "bender" thing now by just following in the format of "The Legend of Aang" though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
So the movie was OK. More because it was cool to see things from the show done in live action than anything else. I certainly wouldn't call it god awful anyway. Should be quite fun for the kiddies, which seems like the intended audience anyways.
The kiddies thought it sucked, too.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Crazy Old Bird

So it will be an entirely new series, set in a different era, with a different Avatar? Sign me up!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah, it doesn't mention specifics in the article I linked, but I think I've heard rumors that it's like 100 years after Last Airbender or something along those lines. So, same world, new characters and situations. Should be awesome. I believe it's only slated for a single season so far, though.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:09 PM

It's kind of a shame that we won't get to see more of Aang's story, I think this is totally the best way to handle doing more with the setting. Aang's story is finished, but with a couple of loose ends. Perfect for backstory.

Of course, this means that, because it stars a new Avatar, Aang will be dead. woooo?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I'm sure he'll be able to guest star for Avatar Freak-Out Mode.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:22 PM
is Earnest

I wonder what nation she'll be from, and how they will deal with Aang being the last airbender (so will there only be 3 elements, or will Aang's family be the only airbenders...).

I'm really looking forward to it, and that teaser image is pretty great.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Crazy Old Bird

The small blurb about her makes her sound like the opposite of Aang ("hotheaded, independent and ready to take on the world"). I'm hoping for Fire, although that would require quite a bit of time to have passed (or the intermittent Avatars dying young, which isn't out of the question).

I would also imagine enough time would have passed for the Air Nomads to get going again, though I wonder if being mixed-nation would have an effect on their bending. Also I don't know why I'm so interested in how genetics work in a kids show.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Hey guy.

Quote:
Who's excited? I'm excited. Apparently there are skyscrapers in the Earth Kingdom now. I'm guessing this means Toph had students and they've been busy in the intervening years...
This... this is exactly what I wanted. The coolest thing about the world developed in the last series was that it took into account how things would develop organically in a setting where bending was a part of everyday life. That meant that the world could keep developing in new and interesting ways while still feeling relevant to our own given the natural advancement of technology/bending. Seeing the airships in action felt like a genuine first for that world, like airplanes in ours --only they used firebenders instead of guns. I'm really glad they're not committing themselves totally to the idea that the avatar keeping the world in balance means it just stays as it is. The glimpses we got of Aang's past lives indicated this might be the case, which had me kind of uneasy. I mean I like the Confucian influences (i.e. the the idea that mankind needs to return to a golden age by striving for an ideal society) but a complete return to a pre-war, almost pre-industrial setting would be a cop-out.

Oh, and, uh, airbending is clearly the best. Duh.

P.S. Hell yes female protagonist. Hell yes.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I would also imagine enough time would have passed for the Air Nomads to get going again, though I wonder if being mixed-nation would have an effect on their bending. Also I don't know why I'm so interested in how genetics work in a kids show.
Well, they made a really big point out of there being 4 nations, and one was completely wiped out. Plus, the Avatar is supposed to learn all four types of bending. They're going to have to address it in some way.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Renegade Game Councelor

The weird thing to me is that I read an interview with the show's creators from about two years ago when the show was ending, and they were asked what would happen to the Airbenders now. The guys just responded with something like "well, like the title says, Aang is the last Airbender, so that's all that there will be." That just seems like it would mess up the balance that the world apparently needs so badly.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:04 PM
grab me some popcorn

I thought there could be only one more rotations of Avatars and once it was supposed to roll around to air again that would be the end of the line because no more airbenders. Maybe the water/earth/fire Avatar can do airbending still but there are no other airbenders in the world while they are alive.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
So hey, new Avatar cartoon sequel involving the original creators officially confirmed, finally:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100721/...egend_of_korra

:ikaruga:
Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Not a Beer

Hum. I hadn't seen that interview, so like some other folks I was assuming Aang's lineage would repopulate. A century would be enough to have at least a small village of airbenders going, assuming the trait was reasonably dominant such that you could keep spreading it without any inbreeding issues.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:26 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
"Mike and Bryan have imagined a compelling new story inspired by the Airbender mythology that they so brilliantly crafted when the TV series began," Johnson said. "This new avatar is not only a girl, but also hot-headed, independent and ready to take on the world."

The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang – a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra. With three of the four elements under her belt (Earth, Water, and Fire), Korra seeks to master the final element, Air. Her quest leads her to the epicenter of the modern "Avatar" world, Republic City – a metropolis that is fueled by steampunk technology. It is a virtual melting pot where benders and non-benders from all nations live and thrive. However, Korra discovers that Republic City is plagued by crime as well as a growing anti-bending revolution that threatens to rip it apart. Under the tutelage of Aang's son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training while dealing with the dangers at large.
Comingsoon.net

This... I will pay actual money for this to happen.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Rawrther.

I am so very very excited for this.

Guys.

You have no clue.

I am so happy.

Edit: please have Zukonian descendants.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:43 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Wait, Katara *wasn't* the Avatar last time? You could have fooled me!

Okay, okay--yeah, I'm really hyped for it. The only real concern I have is the same I had when Dimartino and Ehasz first mentioned the possibility to prequels/sequels taking place generations after the original--hopefully they can still preserve what made A:TLA great without making everyone expies of characters in the original series. The Legend of Korra is a great concept. I hope it isn't just The Legend of Avatar Katara IN THE FUTURE.

Also, it being a "mini-series" is slightly disappointing since it will be shorter, but it's cool that they don't feel the need to stick to the format of the original so closely to the point of slavishness.

I was kind of surprised they didn't do a prequel first, since some of the Avatar history was touched upon in the series, but I guess the burning question is what happens after Aang Restores the Balance, and that is likely more interesting than Thousands of Years Ago (Before Joss Whedon).

Last edited by Andrew; 07-21-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:26 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Also, it being a "mini-series" is slightly disappointing since it will be shorter, but it's cool that they don't feel the need to stick to the format of the original so closely to the point of slavishness.
Where does it say miniseries anywhere?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:00 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Where does it say miniseries anywhere?
The link Kirin posted does as a caption below the image on the left. Plus, this one starts with Korra already having mastered water, fire, and earth, so it is not likely more than one normal-length season, right there.

Although now that you mention it, it does seem like something the person who wrote the captioned guessed, rather than it being in the text of either article.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:34 PM
is Earnest

I've heard that it would be a miniseries elsewhere as well, but I can't remember where.

It just dawned on me that having one season with a new Avatar trying to learn airbending would complete the series arc of one element per season, as well as clear up what will happen to the airbenders. That's goddamn brilliant.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
The small blurb about her makes her sound like the opposite of Aang ("hotheaded, independent and ready to take on the world").
But it makes her sound exactly the same as Toph, too. I'm looking forward to this, though. Just the thing to wash the taste of M. Night Shyamalan's bastardization out of my mouth.

(Listening to Jim Norton complain about Shyamalan on some radio show was just depressing. It was less about the quality of his movies and more about how he should be doing tech support in India and calling him "M. Night Sell-me-a-Slurpee." Was Norton always this much of a berzerk asshole? I thought he was a comedian once or something.)
Old 07-21-2010, 05:35 PM
It's all good, man

Jim Norton is a comedian who gets laughs by being a giant asshole. This should be obvious from watching his comedy for about 30 seconds.

Tags
animation , avatar , cabbages , cartoons , deal with it , drunk on noodles , i'm the avatar , icons next to posts , intended for children , jerkbenders , korraxasami yes , m night shyamalan , nickelodeon , not enough boomerangs , not the blue one , some girl zhu li'd him , spider-lin , television , too many varricks , wang fire , xbox answer to miis , zhu li do the thing