The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-30-2017, 08:56 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Jack, Kenneth, Tracy, Jenna
I'd agree, but it feels wrong not to acknowledge Liz or Pete.

Special mention to the episodes that had Jenna and Tracy playing along one another.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:12 AM
This Guy

Liz is up there in straight-(ish) man Valhalla with Michael Bluth and Sheriff Andy Taylor.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Gesundheit!

Honestly only the first two 30 Rock seasons are straight up classic for me, but those two seasons are in the upper echelon of all sitcom seasons ever.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:18 AM
ahm margaret wartahm

I'd replace Kenneth with Liz.

The show... is very good.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:20 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I'd agree, but it feels wrong not to acknowledge Liz or Pete.
They're good but there's a lot of funny TV out there.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:27 AM
fan of wet circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Special mention to the episodes that had Jenna and Tracy playing along one another.
Those are my favorite episodes. Their combined stupidity isn't just multiplied, it's exponential.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:29 AM
Gesundheit!

I started season 2 of Chewing Gum on Netflix. Still hilarious, but holy shit I think I'm going to have to cave and turn on subtitles, even if it means catching some jokes before characters say them. The accents are among the thickest I've heard on any British show.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:25 PM
Goodbye!

I took it upon myself to improve the opening to Star Trek: Enterprise. Hope you enjoy!

Old 06-30-2017, 05:32 PM
if-then-eels

what's that why yes I will take this as an excuse to also post my improvement to the enterprise opening

Old 06-30-2017, 05:39 PM
Goodbye!

Oooooh, sexy!
Old 06-30-2017, 11:28 PM
if-then-eels

I stumbled on it entirely by accident. I was going to plug the intro into youtube doubler and try various songs to put up against it to see if any worked. This was what was already there and I realized it was already perfect
Old 07-01-2017, 10:05 AM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Honestly only the first two 30 Rock seasons are straight up classic for me, but those two seasons are in the upper echelon of all sitcom seasons ever.
I would definitely agree.

I was in Germany when season 2 was coming out, so downloading a weekly torrent was something I looked forward to in a way that I don't often do with TV.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Family Man

So Handmaiden's Tale is essentially "what would happen if a ISIS style Christian terrorist group took over America?"
Old 07-06-2017, 12:02 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Also known as the GOP, yeah.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:29 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I caught up on Halt and Catch Fire since Netflix put season 3 online. I really love this show, but it's definitely got uneven pacing. I also think it's a fairly important technology show, because it manages to explore Big Ideas in an approachable way. I admit I only started watching it because season 1 was about the advent of the personal computer and that was a history I've always wanted to know more about. It did a fantastic job of exploring that in season 1, but then the pacing got more rushed and it was obvious the show wanted these characters to be further along in the future than the beginning of the show was setting up for. Maybe it would've been different if the showrunners had more money/time to devote for each season, but I don't think it had terribly great ratings.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:42 AM
Gesundheit!

I'm about halfway through Big Little Lies and I love it. It's got a murderer's row (har har) of a cast, an awesome soundtrack, a sharp sense of gallows humor, and the structure makes it simultaneously a whodunit and a whogetskilled, which I've never really seen before.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:59 AM
Sudden chomper

Well I'm about halfway through GLOW and it's great too! Funny and cheesy and heartfelt all at the same time. We just watched the episode where Ruth and Debbie have their first wrestling match and the return of Debbie's asshole husband at the end was a real gut-punch.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:51 AM
ahm margaret wartahm

Finally watched the GLOW documentary on Netflix. Goddamn, that incredibly joyful show's gonna get depressing once the injuries start! Anyway, would recommend. Especially for the speak-singing. (had no idea that was Kate Nash in the show)

Apparently, someone involved produced another show, with a vastly inferior opening.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

GLOW founder David McLaine was a scumbag of the highest order (and think about what that means in the wrestling business) who started up a number of women's promotions over the years, essentially as con jobs on whomever he talked into backing his company that year.

The last(?) one, WOW, was actually funded by Jeanie Buss, daughter of Lakers owner Jerry Buss and one-time Playmate / girlfriend of Phil Jackson. You'd think she'd know better. The Wikipedia entry is fucking hilarious, because it's pretty clear that McClaine wrote it. I'm pretty sure there's pages on major wars less comprehensive that that one.

(The sad thing is that they got Bobby Heenan to do colour on their one trainwreck of a PPV, and people were worried that would be his final show. Luckily, he turned up at Wrestlemania 17 a couple weeks later to end his on-air career on a high note.)
Old 07-12-2017, 11:29 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I'm on a bit of a Netflix Originals kick. I'm in season 2 of Flaked, staring Will Arnett. I was expecting it to be a pure comedy but it's really not at all, more like a drama with comedic dialogue. It's also a lot better than I expected it to be and has a fairly unconventional group of characters.

And I'm 2 episodes in watching Gypsy. Pretty much the reason I decided to watch it is because Naomi Watts is the main character. So far that's not enough to keep me interested. It hasn't gone anywhere interesting yet, seems like a pretty standard "bored married woman in her 40s" story, and even my interest in being a therapist like her isn't doing much for me. Anyway Mulholland Drive is a superior "Naomi Watts being a lesbian" experience so far. Maybe if this show was directed by Lynch too...
Old 07-15-2017, 11:25 PM
This Guy

My Name is Earl has lost the thread completely by the time it was cancelled, but those first two seasons have some choice quotes.

"That's not a c-section scar, its from where my prom date stabbed me. I had both my babies natural."

"You can't just spank me. I'm not 17 anymore."

"Maybe we could get Stuart to be a hero by throwing him into that tank at the aquarium and make him wrestle an octopus." "That wouldn't make him a hero, Randy, unless the octopus was committing a crime... We're not gonna start thinking of ways to get an octopus to commit a crime 'cuz that just has failure written all over it."
Old 07-16-2017, 08:15 AM
Gesundheit!

I just finished Big Little Lies and I'm going to re-up my recommendation. It's some of the most psychologically dense television I've ever seen, the conclusion is genuinely surprising without remotely being cheap, and it aggressively passes the Bechdel test. In fact, I'm pretty sure it fails the reverse test all of the male characters' conversations that I can remember are about their wives.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Tell me about your mother

iZombie is a decent show, but even by the end of season 1 it's reached peak Supernatural levels of "I have to conceal the truth from you to protect you!".

Season 2 looks like it's going to be continuing that trend.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:03 PM
ahm margaret wartahm

Difficult People? Easy Watch! And I've put season 2 off for so long that season 3 is just around the corner. I enjoy Billy Eichner way more here than in BotS or Parks and Rec.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:42 PM
Family Man

Ozark is hitting a lot of the notes of Justified that I've been missing from TV since it ended. Jason Bateman's Marty can talk himself out of a bullet to the head as well as Walter White in the earlier, better seasons of Breaking Bad.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:25 PM
It's all good, man

The Night Of is a great legal drama that closely examines the major problems and biases in our current legal system, but also have incredibly difficult it would be to fix them. It's not completely hopeless, but it can be depressing. Not sure why it was set slightly in the past.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:46 PM

I'm watching Mad Men on Netflix and I think The Suitcase, from season 4, might be the best episode of the show I've seen. Like most of the show is just good, but this reaches near the top of TV.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:22 AM
ahm margaret wartahm

The Strain. It's bad. The pace is excruciating and everyone's an idiot. The main guy has a useless, awful family designed only to distract him from fighting vampires. I've read spoilers and they only ever make the problem... much worse. In general, this is a series which presents a comprehensive case against families. I've watched seven episodes so far and I'm going to watch all of them.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:27 PM
ahm margaret wartahm

Good Lord.

"If hacking is about exploring the limits of what is possible... then I am on the verge of achieving what you would consider the ultimate hack - cheating death!!"

A villain is saying this to a ludicrous hacker protagonist, but this show also has several instances of characters just straight up talking to themselves, verbalizing their thoughts. My heart is being seduced by this idiotic television program.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:48 PM
Family Man

The Ultimate Life Hack.

Tags
bingewatch purgatory , fear of new threads , sex house , television