The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-30-2015, 11:04 PM
concern troll

I wish there was some qualifying for the rumble or something leading up to it other than people just declaring they are in it. I also kind of miss the days of the lottery drawing people know their position ahead of time and play off it. Dibiasi buying his spot was a great bit.

Who do we think will be the old fart coming back for a quick spot? Who even is in ring shape that we haven't seen lately?

Given that they announced Rock for WM already, it would be a fun swerve for him to show up early for the Rumble.

They don't have the roster to do it Royal Rumble style, but they should do a women's battle royal on the show, also, with bayley making her main roster debut and Becky Lynch going over to face the by then fully heel Charlotte.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:08 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I wouldn't bet against yet another RVD one-shot appearance.

No NXT guys, though, since they'd just be used as cannon fodder.

It's weird, because if they're going to do Cena / UT then there's no real obvious winner now that Roman has the belt. Maybe Ambrose wins and you finally do that one properly, but... doesn't feel right.

This card was a lot simpler when Rollins and Sting were available.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:51 AM
concern troll

Man, I don't know, can you imagine the roof blowing off to a Finn entrance? Doesn't have to be cannon fodder, either. Let him get some good time and a standoff with KO and a late elimination and it could be a hell of a debut.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:04 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Yes, I can imagine that. I can also imagine him being sacrificed to Braun Strowman in twenty seconds immediately thereafter.

I do see the potential of Sami showing up and ousting Owens in order to set them up for a presumed WM program. Although I guess that'll probably pay off at the Toronto network show they announced yesterday, as both guys make sense for the WM IC Title ladder match with Ambrose / Dolph / Breeze / Kofi.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:07 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Braun Strowman makes me wonder how many times a week Vince has to be talked out of an Arcidi-Busick superteam.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:18 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Well, he is the guy who saw a Tom McGee / Bret Hart match and decided "this McGee guy is the future"
Old 12-31-2015, 12:25 PM
concern troll

Vince's Big Man fetish is baffling, considering the best superstars his company has ever produced have almost always been medium-to-smaller guys. Or, at the very least, they could PLAY smaller. Razor was great because he could be a monster and he could also lose to Shawn Michaels and make both matches believable. Building up a guy like Strowman always ends up disappointing.

I suppose Big Show had his moments, though to his credit I always though he did a good job of selling being slower and "chopped down" by smaller guys. Taker of course is a huge monster, but for every Taker there are like 10 Giant Gonzales types in WWE's past.

Speaking of Vince, I get that bringing him onto Raw is big for ratings, but I'm pretty tired of the whole heel boss angle. I really want Raw to go to a neutral manager, like what Regal is doing in NXT. Him coming out to set up things like The Iron Woman Match because it sounds like a good match is about the most I want from The Boss.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:11 AM
..and his little cat, too

Yeah, same here. I wrote a whole thing about it for WhatCulture a while back. I miss the days of Presidents who were only occasionally seen or heard at big events or announcements, rather than ever single hour of... well, admittedly not every show, even though their fingerprints are on Smackdown ("The Authority wants me to tell you that...").

I can't argue the results of using Vince to get Roman over, even if only in the short term (and in Philly, no less), but that seems to be quickly losing its luster. Bleacher Report had a great piece the other day pointing out how Monday was almost entirely Vince and almost no Roman in terms of furthering that angle.

But before that? I was enjoying having the League of Nations being the source of Roman's headaches without the Authority right at their back. Reminded me of the good old days when the heel wrestlers were the heels, rather than basically being the henchman/monster of the week for the Evil Overlord.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Vince's Big Man fetish is baffling, considering the best superstars his company has ever produced have almost always been medium-to-smaller guys. Or, at the very least, they could PLAY smaller. Razor was great because he could be a monster and he could also lose to Shawn Michaels and make both matches believable. Building up a guy like Strowman always ends up disappointing.

I suppose Big Show had his moments, though to his credit I always though he did a good job of selling being slower and "chopped down" by smaller guys. Taker of course is a huge monster, but for every Taker there are like 10 Giant Gonzales types in WWE's past.
I feel WWE has the best hoss matches in the industry, they've been on the spectrum of decent-to-great for the past four or so years. That Show/Henry fued? Great stuff.

Stroman is green as fuck, but I'm not ready to write him off yet.

Vince back on tv has been kinda eh, but I'm all for him kicking more people in the nuts.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:16 AM
concern troll

Seeing Roman punch a 70 year old is way less satisfying than seeing Austin do it to a 50 year old. If the writers had any savy they might be able to turn that into a heel move, beating up an old man, but they can't seem to escape The Authority angle.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:31 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Given that the fans still react to it like crazy (the punch at the end of the title match got a bigger pop than the finishing spear), I'm pretty sure that Vince could be 90 and it would still get a face pop.

He's basically Monty Burns at this point.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:38 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Wrestle Kingdom highlight

Predictably, the top three matches were awesome.

Okada retained, because presumably NJPW has figured out that WWE's wanted the guy for a full year now and if he isn't the recognised ace he might jump.

Last edited by Sven; 01-04-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Karl Anderson doing the job puts some weight behind the rumors that he's planning to jump to NXT.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Oily Butt Thing

I am given to understand there was also evil green mist.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:25 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
I am given to understand there was also evil green mist.
Thats how they got out of Sakuraba doimg anything.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Oily Butt Thing

if I can see Saku get revenge by someday spewing his own evil mist I will die happy
Old 01-04-2016, 08:21 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I was about to be all "nuh uh, AV, Gallows took the fall so he's the one jumping."

But then it turned out WWE signed both Anderson and Gallows.

And Styles.

(Best possible Balor Club, FWIW. I guaran damn tee that's a thing in NXT before WM)

AND SWAGSUKE.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

ET TU NAKAMURA
Old 01-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Does NJPW even have the star power to survive losing all their top heels? I'm reading they had a pretty weak gate at WK10, too. The king is dead
Old 01-04-2016, 10:07 PM
Oily Butt Thing

It'd be the first time since the decline of the AWA that Vince talent-raided a promotion to death. (WCW doesn't exactly count.) Probably feels like old times.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:08 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Somewhere in Orlando, Itami reads the news of Nakamura's signing and worriedly starts sending text messages.

Nakamura's probably with NJPW through the February PPV, but AJ didn't have a contract (can he pass a WWE physical?) and the other guys all had the traditional "everyone's contracts are up in January" deals.

Which, y'know, look kinda stupid these days.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:31 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Update is that Gallows and Anderson's deals are still active, but very likely end before the Rumble so you'll see them there.

AJ has blanked all of his ROH commitments, so he might be ready to go pending passing his physicals. Which isn't easy, since he was near-crippled weeks ago.

Nakamura will be in NJPW for quite some time.

At NJPW yesterday, they seemingly elevated Kenny Omega into AJ's position by having him and the Bucks (and Gallows and Anderson, looks like) turn on AJ and leave him laying. Omega also challenged Nakamura. Very DX post-WM14 feel.

I of course will be watching the show solely for the promise of a Haku / Tenzan dream match.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Somewhere in Orlando, Itami reads the news of Nakamura's signing and worriedly starts sending text messages.
Hell he should've started doing that when Kana was brought over 8)

I love the new JOB Squad, a stable so absurd that Heath Slater plays the straight man.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:42 AM
Too Much TV Game

I guess I'm really confused why, other than for money, anyone would sign with WWE at this point. I imagine most if not all these folks will just be in HHH's weird NXT national touring group, because haha...they're not showing up on RAW.

Seriously, does HHH have some magic stump speech that basically tells people, "Vince is going to die soon, so eventually the product will get better. Oh, and you'll never be on the bad show anyway because you'll be working in front of accepting, cheering crowds on the road via NXT!"? Because, again, other than money, I really have no idea why any major star would sign with WWE based on its current stark, vast abyss in Creative.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:44 AM

I mean.

Is there really a better reason to make moves in the industry than money? They're all killing themselves slowly in the line of work, may as well cash out.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:54 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
I guess I'm really confused why, other than for money, anyone would sign with WWE at this point.
1. Money made while in WWE
2. Extra made in money after you leave WWE (AJ's rates will probably double)
3. As AV noted, this year's dome show didn't do well at all. NJPW was facing a "this is the end of the era" feel / business downturn even if they'd stayed.
4. AJ Styles spent 80% of his career in TNA. WWE's creative probably looks like 1983 Bill Watts to him.

(Travel is probably a wash, but you sure as shit won't take NJPW-levels of punishment in WWE. And it's not like Styles or Nakamura need any more **** matches to throw on their pile.)

But mainly money. Because that's all that matters.

Plus, if you have any ambition at all, your goal is to make a name on the biggest stage, and that's WWE. Shit, look at how much Joe's redeemed his career merely in the last six months of NXT.

And there's no way Styles and Nakamura would jump for NXT money. Balor's making a good living, but Meltzer heavily implied that they're signing for two or three times what his contract's worth. Gallows and Anderson, obviously less.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:01 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

I didn't listen to yesterday's big podcast. Did anyone get into just how broken down the NJPW locker room is, physically?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:13 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I didn't listen to yesterday's big podcast. Did anyone get into just how broken down the NJPW locker room is, physically?
Only that Tanahashi is possibly more beat up than AJ and Nakamura put together.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:17 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Only that Tanahashi is possibly more beat up than AJ and Nakamura put together.
Tanahashi collects disc injuries like they were going out of print. He's going to make like the Bluesmobile any day now, then I am going to cry.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:19 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

As long as no one Misawa's him, all is good. His innings as the Ace was quality.

(The podcast with Lawlor covering the Dome show was a lot of fun, even if the details about the raid hadn't been firmed up yet)

Last edited by Sven; 01-05-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Tags
firebreaker chip , ice train , it's still real to me , lazertron