The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Notices

Old 01-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Excuse me, but he's the HARD MASTER.

And, honestly, if I were The RZA and I saw a casting call for someone named The Hard Master, I would run, not walk, directly on to the set working with the assumption that I already had the part, and e auditions were a mere formality.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:03 PM
This Guy

God, why don't I own that movie on some sort of disc.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:05 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

No. The Hard Master is a different guy who was killed by Storm Shadow in a flashback.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:39 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

in my headcanon the Hard Master was Forest Whitaker in Ghost Dog mode
Old 01-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
in my headcanon the Hard Master was Forest Whitaker in Ghost Dog mode
Only the blind may truly Always See Everything.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:46 AM
Mystery Contraption

It is a pretty damn good spookems movie, and a huge leg-up over the book in a number of ways. Kind of felt like it shared a lot of DNA with Nightmare on Elm Street as well (genuinely unsure whether the book predated that series, but with a shapeshifting supernatural murderer who preys on childrens fears as your antagonist, comparisons are kind of unavoidable).

Really liked Pennywise himself, too. Even ignoring all the monstery bits in him, there was just an endless amount of tiny details that give away how inhuman he is; from his stilted speech, misshaped head and the fact that he moved like a marionette rather than a person whenever he was shown walking around. Just kind of came as a relief when his mouth turned into a lamprey, as that was less uncanny.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:54 AM
coral reefer madness

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Just kind of came as a relief when his mouth turned into a lamprey, as that was less uncanny.
*place 100 copies of the thinking emoji, each one slowly becoming more and more corrupted*
Old 01-11-2018, 03:14 PM

Last night, some Netflix scrounging turned up Absolutely Anything, a movie I don't recall ever hearing existed previously, which is KINDA WEIRD given who's in it:
Simon Pegg
Rob Riggle
Robin Williams
Every surviving Python (with Terry Jones directing)

I was actually really worried it was going to be unwatchably bad and everyone who saw it had just agreed never to speak of it, but, no, it's a middling-to-good comedy. The Pythons are an omnipotent space federation who give Simon Pegg wish granting powers as a random test of humanity's moral character. Hijinx ensue. Some clever, some dumb. So... no idea why it was never on my radar.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:47 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

It was the unwatchably bad thing. According to critics.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:45 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
It is a pretty damn good spookems movie, and a huge leg-up over the book in a number of ways. Kind of felt like it shared a lot of DNA with Nightmare on Elm Street as well (genuinely unsure whether the book predated that series, but with a shapeshifting supernatural murderer who preys on childrens fears as your antagonist, comparisons are kind of unavoidable).

Really liked Pennywise himself, too. Even ignoring all the monstery bits in him, there was just an endless amount of tiny details that give away how inhuman he is; from his stilted speech, misshaped head and the fact that he moved like a marionette rather than a person whenever he was shown walking around. Just kind of came as a relief when his mouth turned into a lamprey, as that was less uncanny.
I really liked the detail of his eyes sort of drifting in different directions. Which apparently wasn't even a special effect.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:11 AM
gatchapon 3*

i saw Jumanji last night and it was absolutely fantastic. hilarious, tons of great action, and the best ever one shot D&D game captured on tape. I went in with zero expectations, and came out thinking Jack Black needs to be nominated for best supporting actor for his incredible work in this.

Seriously, i recommend it unreservedly. what a blast.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:38 AM
BAG

Quote:
Bruce Willis shows up and provides the most phoned-in performance I think I've ever seen.
He needs to work on something he is passionate about, a pet project.
Summer 2019: Hudson Hawk 2: the Mario Brothers Revenge
Old 01-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I really liked the detail of his eyes sort of drifting in different directions. Which apparently wasn't even a special effect.
Nothing against him, but Iím so very glad they went for the exact opposite of Tim Curry in this one; a monster who looks like a clown is a much more interesting villain than a monster-clown.

My only real complaint with the movie is that, unlike in the book, thereís no real explanation for why all the adults in town are all such dicks. Itís just that everyone over the age of 13 is inexplicably a complete jerk.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Better be the real thing.

I figured they were implying that by having the adults always watching that creepy children's show.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:51 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Holy SHIT I did catch the creepy show but never saw the causality.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:14 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
i saw Jumanji last night and it was absolutely fantastic. hilarious, tons of great action, and the best ever one shot D&D game captured on tape. I went in with zero expectations, and came out thinking Jack Black needs to be nominated for best supporting actor for his incredible work in this.

Seriously, i recommend it unreservedly. what a blast.
We just went to the theater... my mother and aunt watched Jumanji and I opted for Paddington 2. I'm standing by my choice but they were really happy with Jumanji, calling it "excellent." Maybe I'll catch it myself next week.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:03 PM
We just don't know.

I watched Primer. It was amazing for being made on a $7000 budget (that's literally nothing). Beyond that, on its own merits, it was just Pretty Good.

People say it's the most confusing or convoluted time travel movie ever. Maybe that's true, but I honestly didn't have that big a problem following it? I probably couldn't have perfectly explained what cycle each person was on at any given moment, but I was never lost or confused.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 PM

You don't need me to tell you that Live-Action Devilman is terrible, or a betrayal of basically every theme Devilman ever had. It's an impressively literal adaptation cutting mostly for cost but it never feels like it even attempts to build up to coherent themes of its own or a successful representation of the manga's themes. Best thing it gave the world was a three headed Bob Sapp chimera newscaster.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:02 AM
It's dog eat dog

The Post is a cheesy, in-your-face-relevant Spielberg issues movie, but holy shit it's very nearly the best possible version of that description. (It goes a little bit overboard toward the end, as Steve is won't to do.) And I love that Hanks and Streep are surrounded by an ensemble drawn pretty much exclusively from TV's best and brightest, including both halves of Mr. Show.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:17 AM

I watched Mother! for the first time. That last act sure is something. I don't see myself watching it again anytime soon, but I am thinking about it now.

Its a minor miracle this movie was put into wide release given how unconventional it is. The power of Jennifer Lawrence I suppose.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:03 PM
who's she

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I watched Primer. It was amazing for being made on a $7000 budget (that's literally nothing). Beyond that, on its own merits, it was just Pretty Good.

People say it's the most confusing or convoluted time travel movie ever. Maybe that's true, but I honestly didn't have that big a problem following it? I probably couldn't have perfectly explained what cycle each person was on at any given moment, but I was never lost or confused.
Yeah, it's really just a matter of who's backstabbing who. The only thing I found confusing was toward the end where it seemed like they just ran out of money to show as much of the story as they wanted.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:14 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
And I love that Hanks and Streep are surrounded by an ensemble drawn pretty much exclusively from TV's best and brightest, including both halves of Mr. Show.
Oh shit
Old 01-15-2018, 08:27 AM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Oh shit
Bob Odenkirk is the third most important role in the movie, and he's terrific.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:50 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Miss Sloane is the story of Jessica Chastain as a sociopathic Capitol Hill lobbyist as we root her on for being smarter and more ruthless than everyone else. It has fast-fire bantering dialogue straight out of the Aaron Sorkin playbook and an ending that seems fairly absurd. But it's still a pretty entertaining film and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a political thriller.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:36 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
an ensemble drawn pretty much exclusively from TV's best and brightest, including both halves of Mr. Show.
The best part is that they thought that this might have happened on purpose, but then they asked about it and had to awkwardly explain to Steven Spielberg what Mr. Show was because he had no idea.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:31 PM
Accidental AvatarOverlord

Went to a theatrical showing of The Room last week. I had never seen this...."movie" but had heard of it's legendary train wreck status so I was all over it.

http://static.adweek.com/adweek.com-...om-ep-2017.jpg

The rest of the audience that had turned up for this thing were great and heckled the whole way through. Not unlike MST3K, but in surround sound. Plus, it turns out that there's a bit of a Rocky Horror element to Room showings, and it was my first time throwing a football around in a movie theater and ducking plastic cutlery projectiles.

As for the main attraction itself, it's been a week and I'm still not sure how to put it into words. Like one of my friends who came with me explained, "It's not something you watch, it's something you experience." Let's run down the list of things that happen in this movie:
  • Close up shots of Tommy Wiseau's cottage cheese butt a la sex scene 5 minutes into the movie.
  • A framed photo of a spoon as set decoration.
  • A non-sequiter scene of the four guys playing football in tuxedos.
  • Audio syncing that makes most VHS era anime dubs look polished.
  • A guy threatens to toss his friend off the roof, changes his mind, then they both continue the conversation like that didn't just happen.
  • This movie takes place over either the span of two days, a week, or a couple of weeks. I gave up trying to puzzle it out.
  • That said, the mother character is wearing something different in EVERY scene. No one comments on this.
  • Gratuitous shots (Shot? I think it might have been the same shot, just played backwards.) of the Golden Gate Bridge to pad for time I guess.
  • The most bizarre love triangle since New Order.
  • Claims of domestic abuse, then planning the alleged abuser's surprise birthday party all in the same conversation.
  • A character wears a watch out of a Lucky Charms box to the birthday party. Not as a plot point, it's just part of his outfit.
  • Cell phones and a tape recorder both being presented as current technology options. This movie was filmed in 2003.

A+ experience, would participate again.

Last edited by Ixo; 01-18-2018 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Movie poster image was way too big; changed to link.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:11 PM
who's she

Randomly got around to watching Thor: The Dark Thor. I had skipped this one because it looked lame, and guess what, it was pretty lame. The actors try really hard to do something with their generic dialog, and the effects are great(it's sad that this still looks vastly better than Wonder Woman), but it's just cliche after cliche. The bad guy is maybe the least impressive of the entire cinematic universe. There's some good action but I've been more emotionally invested in watching paint dry. Even the good bits with Loki are deflated by the movie's predictability.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Randomly got around to watching Thor: The Dark Thor. I had skipped this one because it looked lame, and guess what, it was pretty lame. The actors try really hard to do something with their generic dialog, and the effects are great(it's sad that this still looks vastly better than Wonder Woman), but it's just cliche after cliche. The bad guy is maybe the least impressive of the entire cinematic universe. There's some good action but I've been more emotionally invested in watching paint dry. Even the good bits with Loki are deflated by the movie's predictability.
I had a conversation with a thread about that movie once where we were both only 90% sure we'd actually even seen it because of how hard it was to recall memories of anything at all that happened in it worth noting.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:33 AM
It's dog eat dog

Brawl in Cell Block 99 delivers violent, disturbing grindhouse thrills as advertised, but it's also way, way more thematically rich than I was expecting. It is a descent into Hell, level by excruciating level, both figurative and literal (if Vince Vaughn's cross tattoo is any indication). I recommend it, but holy shit please know what you're getting into.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:58 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Thor Dark Thor has a bunch of good hammer gags. Plus it has an infinity stone that turns into red melty stuff. Thatís about all I remember.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , rooster cogburn , several live eels , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road