The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-01-2017, 08:05 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirMcDohl View Post
Year of Hell should have been a serialized season.
That was actually Rick Bergman's plan, but it got shot down.

Source: My wife knows all of the things about Voyager
Old 12-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Family Man

I started the third episode of TNG, saw the “aliens” and where the story was going, said “Oh No” to an empty room, then skipped to the next episode. That next episode involved space goblins, mysterious crystals and an ancient riddle spouting wizard. Every episode is madness.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:47 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Hey speaking of Voyager, I've continued on after my Punisher break.

Ashes to Ashes: This one is weird. An alien approaches Voyager and insists she used to be a member of the crew, Lyndsay Ballard, who had died a few years previously. But her corpse was picked up by a race that, uh, procreates by going corpse-hunting and infusing the bodies with their DNA in a reanimation process. Lyndsay remembered her past, which is unusual, and set out to find Voyager. And everyone, especially Harry Kim, is glad to have her back. Which is the weird part because she wasn't in any previous episode. Imagine if Tasha Yar was never a character on TNG, but Sela was still introduced when she was and everyone reacted the same way. There's a number of interesting moments in the episode and the questions it raises and struggles with, while dumb from a science perspective, are interesting and a bit unsettling. But the entire time I'm just thinking that surely they could have used one of the crewmen who died that we actually saw on camera? Hell, they could have used this plot on Seska. The story is kinda lost on the extended focus on Lyndsay's relationship with Harry, since most of the time there is spent on them letting us know that, no seriously, they were totally besties.

This episode was more interesting for the B-plot where Seven is micromanaging all the schedules of the Borg kids, to the point where she has time allotted for Mandatory Fun. "Fun shall now commence" is the most memorable line from the episode.

Child's Play: A toy doll with the soul of a serial killer starts murdering people and framing his owner.... Uh. Voyager comes across the home planet for one of the Borg kids they recently picked up, and Seven has to come to terms with letting go.Buuuuuut it turns out that Icheb's parents were responsible with him being assimilated since they genetically modified him with a Borg-killing virus, which ultimately didn't work obviously, and once they got Icheb back they went about doing it AGAIN. So all of Seven's over-protective mistrusting of his family was rewarded.

Good Sheppard: "Hey, remember Lower Decks? Let's do that again but not as good!"

This episode was just... unsatisfying. The band of various misfits that Janeway tries to guide and lead make for some fun interactions, but the episode's biggest problem is that so much time is spent on them all arguing that the episode doesn't really get to have a good resolution when everything gets wrapped up in the last few minutes. What were those aliens? Dunno. What became of these crewmen once it was over? Dunno. Is Janeway still somehow satisfied with how it turned out? Yup.

Looking ahead at least one of them gets to appear again later, so the episode's not a total loss I guess?
Old 12-01-2017, 12:55 PM
Current Objective:Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
I've been wondering, does Voyager have, like, a shuttle replicator or something? I'm pretty sure they've lost at least two shuttles to the point I've watched so far, and I don't feel like the shuttle bay on such a small ship has room for more than a couple of those things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
IIRC, nerds have done the math and Voyager loses something like 20 shuttles over the course of the series, which is obviously way more than they could have reasonably had to start with.
Well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/inconsistencies-voy.htm
The official Star Trek Voyager Technical Guide V1.0, intended as guidelines for writers (sub-title: "Yes, but which button do I push to fire the phasers?"), ironically says that "Voyager normally carries two[!] standard shuttlecraft, four of the smaller shuttlepods, and four EVA workpods". We have never seen any shuttlepods or workpods.
Even if they do technically have "a full complement" that is a really weird way to describe having two of something. Or maybe just one, since as noted they're storing Neelix's ship somewhere (and by this point they've converted an entire cargo bay for growing food and God knows what for the Astrometrics lab, so you'd think space would be at a premium).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Suffice to say though, I think most Starships circa the 24rd Century and on have the equipment to repair most of their junk, they just need raw materials and fuel which probably isn't *too* hard to get a hold of.
Yeah, they just need to keep trading ??? for those raw materials on the rare occasion that they find a race that's not immediately hostile to them. Just what ??? is or how much of it they have is up for debate, considering they weren't stocked for a lengthy expedition to begin with.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThricebornPhoenix View Post
Yeah, they just need to keep trading ??? for those raw materials on the rare occasion that they find a race that's not immediately hostile to them. Just what ??? is or how much of it they have is up for debate, considering they weren't stocked for a lengthy expedition to begin with.
They don't even need to trade most of the time. I assume they just have to find the right asteroid belt in the middle of nowhere to beam some raw materials for processing. Because if replicators work like they imply as well, they re-sequence matter at the subatomic level. So really you just need to keep your sources of energy inputs going, and have enough downtime and peoplepower to process all of your raw materials into things you need like replacement parts, replicator material, and anti-matter. The only thing that seems to be in short supply that can't be replicated on a ship is dilithium crystals, but Star Trek has never really explained how those work inside a warp engine (Are they fuel? A catalyst? A prism for focusing energy through?), and while it's implied they're consumable, they also seem to last quite a while and be abundant enough that trading for it or mining your own seems easy enough to accomplish.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

After reading about how people now enjoy Voyager, I finally set down and watched it, up to the beginning of S7 by now. I watched it over ten years ago, but started in the middle and mainly like the episodes about Seven and the Doctor. I continued watching after it restarted, but found it boring and stopped.

Rewatching it made me realise that it is, indeed, a good show, even outside of these two characters. But, were I am now, everyone aside from these two seems to be boring to me again. There are small exceptions, but it feels like characters like B'elana or Neelix, who I enjoyed at the beginning, seem to not get the time they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirMcDohl View Post
Year of Hell should have been a serialized season.
Eh, this is probably a personal thing, but after finally seeing the episode I'm happy that it is done they way it is done. I don't think I could stand a season of this atmosphere, with everyone being tense and nearly dieing or whatever. Also, the whole thing about needing ressources all the time seems boring to me. There are other ways to find ethical dilemmas,
which are way more interesting, and which are used by Voyager.

What I actually enjoyed way more, and which could have been done more with, was Equinox. That was also reused for BSG during the Pegasus arc,
which was my favourite part there too. Making the Equinox a recurring thing for a season would have been way more interesting for me.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:23 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

What the actual fuck:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/quentin-tara...vie-1820997448
Old 12-04-2017, 06:29 PM

Eh, why not?
Old 12-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Remembers Love

Not that interested in Uhura foot worship, TBH.

It's wild to me that Tarantino's name hasn't come up in this Hollywood shitshow (aside from corroborating the Weinstein stuff). I'm not going to be surprised if it does, but if there actually isn't anything, I do think it's funny that it involves one of the industry's most successful open perverts.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:11 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post

It's wild to me that Tarantino's name hasn't come up in this Hollywood shitshow (aside from corroborating the Weinstein stuff). I'm not going to be surprised if it does, but if there actually isn't anything, I do think it's funny that it involves one of the industry's most successful open perverts.
kink =/= pervert
Old 12-04-2017, 07:17 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
kink =/= pervert
=/= molester
Old 12-04-2017, 07:28 PM
Remembers Love

I'm not saying that Tarantino's a sex pest because he's open about his obsessions. But he seems like a bit of a scuzzy dude in general.

Also, "Kinky" is fine, but I also believe in owning the label. I have my share of orthogonal tastes, and when I'm not trying to sell, I don't mind the appellation.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:04 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

More Voyager!

Live Fast and Prosper: Most memorable thing about this episode is the title (though what a title....). A group of Voyager impersonators are conning various aliens out of their goods, and they all turn their ire on the real target. One of the impersonators is caught, and the crew do their best to impress upon her the value of doing the right thing and an honest days work and stuff. when that, surprisingly, doesn't work they turn the tables on the others by using the Doctor's holo-matrix to con the con-men. Favorite part of the episode was the Tuvok impersonator being really, really committed to the role.

Muse: B'Elanna crashes on a primitive world and becomes the inspiration for a dramatic play. Once she's brought up to speed she breaks the prime directive over her knee six ways from Sunday and, presumably, everyone on Voyager is cool with it once she returns.

Fury: Y'know, I coulda swore this was a Season 7 episode, I'm surprised to hit it so early. Oh well! Kes is back and she's just a little peeved that Voyager 'abandoned' her despite, y'know, deciding to leave on her own and throwing the ship so far ahead of its course it would've been impossible to go back for her even if they wanted. She is very well adjusted in the episode. Some wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey later, and yet another pointless 'dramatic' B'Elanna death (how many is that now for the series? I forgot to start counting), Kes is reminded of what Voyager meant to her by... herself. I guess she also forgot she made that recording. Neelix then says like two words to her and that's the end of their arc I guess! Seriously, that was such a missed opportunity. But it was interesting to see this episode do a rather faithful re-creation of the feel of the series circa Season 1. On top of just casually throwing the Vidiians in there again, we even have little touches like the Captain just casually dismissing the Doctor as if he were just a program, instead of tiredly dismissing the Doctor as if he were a pain in the ass like now!

Life Line: Wow, another episode guest starring both Broccoli and Troi! Boy, Deanna's not-curly hair and utter lack-of-accent really does kinda stand out in all her post-First Contact appearances, huh? But anyway, the Midas Array now allows for once a month contact between Voyager and the Alpha Quadrant, and the Doctor requests that Voyager use their first month's data allotment to send HIM back to the Alpha Quadrant so he can treat his cantankerous old creator, Dr. Zimmerman. There's shenanigans and heartfelt moments, and we learn of the tragic fate of all the other EMH Mark 1s (scrubbing plasma coils), which is a particular sore point for Zimmerman since they're all wearing his face (geez you'd think Starfleet would have some consideration and reprogram their visual matrix to give them a nondescript generic face or something, it's like they were TRYING to humiliate the guy... of course, he IS a pain in the ass...). Anyway, Broccoli sets up a rather transparent ruse where the Doctor's program starts to malfunction, Zimmerman has to treat them, they bond, and the Doctor cures his illness. There's also some discussion back on Voyager about what Janeway is going to tell Starfleet Command about the Marquis crew and the crew deaths and junk and how she's kind of agonizing over it, but it goes nowhere. Oh well!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post

It would not surprise me to learn that someone who is open and frank about his sexual interests would have healthy outlets for expressing and satisfying those interests available to him, and therefore would not have developed a habit of forcing them on others in a clandestine fashion.

That said, I'm not a Tarantino fan and cringe at the idea of what he might do to Star Trek. But, I dunno, maybe if the studio keeps his obsession with flashy brutal violence in check, it could be OK?
Old 12-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Remembers Love

Fair.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:04 AM
does the Underpants Dance

A Star Trek with Tarantino dialogue could be...neat? But uh, his proclivity for violence and swearing doesn't really need to be there.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Out Of Warranty

Have we posted any "What do they call a Quarter Pounder in Andor?" jokes yet?
Old 12-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Mr. Jackpots

I'm chuckling at the idea that they would let Tarantino do a Star Trek movie with his standard level of R-rated profanity and violence.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:32 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I'm chuckling at the idea that they would let Tarantino do a Star Trek movie with his standard level of R-rated profanity and violence.
Hasn't he directed at least a few things which aren't like that?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:48 PM

I would assume Tarantino would be coming to the project a lot like Seth MacFarlane tried to - as a legitimate fan looking to make his homage/dream-come-true of putting his stamp on Star Trek. And I'm sure that the studio would 1) be happy to have a high profile name to put on a next Trek film, 2) would be happy with his relatively low-budget style of films, and 3) there would be an agreement between all parties that this movie would be most-ages-appropriate. The more I watch of Orville, the more I come to the settled conclusion that allowing MacFarlane to have made an actual Star Trek show would have not just been good but great. I'd be willing to have an open mind enough to give a guy like Tarantino a shot. Worst case scenario you have another Star Trek film in the odd/even sequence that you can ignore and pretend didn't happen. Best case scenario, you get an interesting film that at least isn't mind-numbingly stupid like the JJ films.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:45 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Hasn't he directed at least a few things which aren't like that?
Tarantino's filmography:

Rated R for strong violence and language
Rated R for strong graphic violence and drug use, pervasive strong language and some sexuality
Rated R for pervasive strong language, sexuality and some drug use
Rated R for strong language, some violence, drug use and sexuality
Rated R for strong bloody violence, language and some sexual content
Rated R for violence, language and brief drug use
Rated R for strong graphic bloody violence and gore, pervasive language, some sexuality, nudity and drug use
Rated R for strong graphic violence, language and brief sexuality
Rated R for strong graphic violence throughout, a vicious fight, language and some nudity
Rated R for strong bloody violence, a scene of violent sexual content, language and some graphic nudity

He's done a few episodes of network TV if that's what you mean.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:51 AM
Your life is forfeit

He didn't direct those episodes of Alias he starred in, did he?
Old 12-06-2017, 06:11 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Nope. ER, CSI, and... *checks notes* Jimmy Kimmel Live.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:52 AM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Best case scenario, you get an interesting film that at least isn't mind-numbingly stupid like the JJ films.
Thank God for Justin Lin.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:00 AM
Current Objective:Survive

Quote:
Tarantino's filmography:

Rated R for strong violence and language
Rated R for strong graphic violence and drug use, pervasive strong language and some sexuality
Rated R for pervasive strong language, sexuality and some drug use
Rated R for strong language, some violence, drug use and sexuality
Rated R for strong bloody violence, language and some sexual content
Rated R for violence, language and brief drug use
Rated R for strong graphic bloody violence and gore, pervasive language, some sexuality, nudity and drug use
Rated R for strong graphic violence, language and brief sexuality
Rated R for strong graphic violence throughout, a vicious fight, language and some nudity
Rated R for strong bloody violence, a scene of violent sexual content, language and some graphic nudity
He also wrote all of those. According to the article, he wouldn't be the writer this time.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:13 AM

I adore Justin Lin. I've been a fan since seeing Better Luck Tomorrow in theaters. I really liked his take on Trek in Beyond. I'd love to see more. I wouldn't be surprised if Paramount doesn't cares to find out how that would go after Beyond's box office take unfortunately.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:46 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThricebornPhoenix View Post
He also wrote all of those. According to the article, he wouldn't be the writer this time.
My point was never that Tarantino would be incapable of directing a PG-13 script. I was reacting to people speculating about a Tarantino-style Trek movie not being what they want.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
I adore Justin Lin. I've been a fan since seeing Better Luck Tomorrow in theaters. I really liked his take on Trek in Beyond. I'd love to see more. I wouldn't be surprised if Paramount doesn't cares to find out how that would go after Beyond's box office take unfortunately.
I didn't realize it underperformed. That's too bad. We could use more movies with Lin's style.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Box office failures usually come a sequel late.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Box office failures usually come a sequel late.
And yet Hollywood always blames the current movie.

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher