The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #931  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:47 AM
Mightyblue's Avatar
Mightyblue Mightyblue is offline
Are You Sure About That?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somewhere cold. And frosty.
Posts: 22,077
Default

Wasn't the majority of Young Jean's characterization seeing what happened to her older self and going "Nope!"?
Reply With Quote
  #932  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:49 AM
Positronic Brain's Avatar
Positronic Brain Positronic Brain is online now
Out Of Warranty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Posts: 9,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
The best advice I'd give you is don't think too hard about it.
How To Enjoy Comics 101.
Reply With Quote
  #933  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:52 AM
TheSL's Avatar
TheSL TheSL is offline
World of Darkness Returns
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 22,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Wasn't the majority of Young Jean's characterization seeing what happened to her older self and going "Nope!"?
Until they transitioned between writers in the last All New / Blue relaunch and suddenly Scott & Jean have a psychic rapport and love each other because something something The Phoenix.*



*Probably at least 50% of X-Men plots can be waved away by "something something The Phoenix"
Reply With Quote
  #934  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:57 AM
Mightyblue's Avatar
Mightyblue Mightyblue is offline
Are You Sure About That?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somewhere cold. And frosty.
Posts: 22,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Until they transitioned between writers in the last All New / Blue relaunch and suddenly Scott & Jean have a psychic rapport and love each other because something something The Phoenix.*



*Probably at least 50% of X-Men plots can be waved away by "something something The Phoenix"
The more things change, the more they stay the same...
Reply With Quote
  #935  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:11 AM
NavelsAreNeat's Avatar
NavelsAreNeat NavelsAreNeat is offline
Senhor Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,979
Default

There are just alternate realities. The only thing certain about the future is that Our Heroes will occasionally wipe a future timeline out to preserve the status quo. (personally, I think they should stop) The writers keep toying with sending the O5 back for some reason. (just gonna stuff Iceman back in the closet, huh? rude)
Reply With Quote
  #936  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:17 AM
TheSL's Avatar
TheSL TheSL is offline
World of Darkness Returns
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 22,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
(just gonna stuff Iceman back in the closet, huh? rude)
Adult Iceman is out now too, but only because he called himself out.
Reply With Quote
  #937  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:20 AM
NavelsAreNeat's Avatar
NavelsAreNeat NavelsAreNeat is offline
Senhor Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,979
Default

A real question of willpower is, will I pick up Cable, the comic that has had three writing teams in the past year for some reason? (the writers got bored, but the audience did not, because it could be selling much worse) I read the first two arcs and cannot remember anything about them. But X-Man himself, a character all people of good taste love, is in the new issue and the new team’s first issue is on comixology unlimited.
Reply With Quote
  #938  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:22 AM
NavelsAreNeat's Avatar
NavelsAreNeat NavelsAreNeat is offline
Senhor Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Adult Iceman is out now too, but only because he called himself out.
I know! I just think the occasional vague implication that these teens should go back in time and get mind-wiped is a little sad, (poor teen Iceman, also, sure, whatever, the other characters) but again, I’m against all schemes to “fix” a timeline.
Reply With Quote
  #939  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:46 AM
Excitemike's Avatar
Excitemike Excitemike is offline
Space Prez
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
The best advice I'd give you is don't think too hard about it.
Uhh if I didn't want to obsessively ponder over the details, I wouldn't be reading X-Men.
Reply With Quote
  #940  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:09 AM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is online now
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Does Kitty and Piotr's marriage confirm the DoFP timeline?
Days of Future Past is the timeline where Jean Grey's parents were more empathetic with her when she visited them during the Dark Phoenix Saga, preventing a lot of the fallout from that and then having a lot of ripple effects down the line.

So, unless the marriage retroactively changes how the Greys treated Jean during the Dark Phoenix Saga for some reason, no it does not.

I mean, it's not impossible because hey it's comics and Shatterstar is his own grandfather. But probably not.
Reply With Quote
  #941  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:24 AM
NavelsAreNeat's Avatar
NavelsAreNeat NavelsAreNeat is offline
Senhor Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,979
Default

TMYK. Did Jean Grey Not-Phoenix ever get out of her cocoon in that TL?
Reply With Quote
  #942  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:33 AM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is online now
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
TMYK. Did Jean Grey Not-Phoenix ever get out of her cocoon in that TL?
That's a funny question to think about. I think the Rachel Summers issues explaining this predate the decision to put Jean Grey in stasis in Jamaica Bay, so I'd guess that it's technically still a dangling plot thread for someone to pick up as a shocking reveal in an eventual Days of Future Jean Grey mega-event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
A real question of willpower is, will I pick up Cable, the comic that has had three writing teams in the past year for some reason? (the writers got bored, but the audience did not, because it could be selling much worse) I read the first two arcs and cannot remember anything about them. But X-Man himself, a character all people of good taste love, is in the new issue and the new team’s first issue is on comixology unlimited.
I have not read this comic, but I heard an interview with the creative team and they at least made a good pitch for their run.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adam x the x-treme , ah cain't touch yuh remy , berserker barrage , chayeh , claremont's boner , focused totality , foreverial tiedup x-men , marvel , mental domination , no quarter asked , none given , scumbag gambit , x-men

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts ©you, 2007