The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He
Default Digital Down-Low for 10/18/2018: Soul Food

Did you hear the latest news? Seems like those clowns in congress are at it again.

ANYWAY, lots of stuff to get through this week, so I'll be discriminating. Unfortunately, it's mostly stuff that looks or is AMAZING, so that's not going to narrow things down much. So let's commence with something that is aimed squarely at every heartstring I have to plink; Starlink: Battle for Atlas (on PS4 and Switch), which is an open-world Ubisoft game, with everything that entails. However, this one is unique in that, for one thing, it's a aerial combat sim, in the Ace COmbat or Star Fox vein. Also, in the Switch version, it counts as a Star Fox game. And also, in place of DLC, you can buy customizable spaceships that you can build and rebuild to suit the needs of battle (but, seriously, don't bother. The digital version is inexpressible cheaper and more convenient in that regard). Aldo, everything about the game feels like you're playing some long-forgotten merch-driven 80s cartoon.

Also, again, it's Star Fox.

Also up on everything is Warriors Orochi 4, the fourth crossover extravaganza between Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors. Which I only mention as it managed to land in the Guinness book of records for having the Most Playable Characters in a Beat-Em-Up Ever. Which seems less impressive to me than wearing the worlds largest beard of bees or even wearing the second largest beard of bees.

Also on everything is Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption which, from the trailer, looks to be a little bit of Dark Souls (I mean, just the title tells you that) and a bit of Shadow of the Colossus as you're a cursed knight who got super-strong by sacrificing innocent souls, and now must makes amends by freeing those souls (meaning; killing boss monsters) and weakening yourself in the process.

It looks pretty flippin' neat.

On PS4 we have The Missing, a rotoscope-y looking die-em-up in the Limbo vein. about a gal out looking for her gal-pal on MAGICAL MURDER ISLAND, getting chopped up to pieces, and then being grossly resurrected in order to keep on looking. Based on the trailer, it seems that she goes to the Red Room from Twin Peaks a few times and also stabs a mummy.

So, you know, it's art.

And the most significant release on PS4 alone (and possibly this week, but, again, it's a week DENSE with quality) is Soul Calibur VI! The first entry in the series since the hugely disappointing V, 6 years ago, and one determined to apologize for that misstep. All the ol' favorite characters are back and the new guys have been kicked to the curb! In fact, there's barely any new guys in it! Just all your old buddies. And also a robust character-creator so you can make your own damn character if you want new guys that damn badly.

Or if you just want to recreate Marvel and DC characters all day.

Now changing gears to the Switch, we've got Valkyria Chronicles! The first one! That means that 100% of the Valkyria Chronicles games present on the Switch are the Good Ones! Which is better between 1 and 4 is a debate left to the philosophers, on the scale of the Mega Man 2 or 3 debate, but either way, both are Very Good.

Take a bunch of Animes out on to the trenches and fields of Anime World War 2 and have them shoot either other with both rifles and Sailor Moon Lasers on a mission to save their beleaguered land in a mash-em-up between shooter and turn based strategy! It's "The Tops!"

Blackbird is a shmuppy sort of deal set in a fairytale Victorian London where a dead little girl is resurrected as a beast of the apocalypse and set forth to rend the world to shreds.

Kind of looks like Fantasy Zone, if Opa-Opa was an amorphous nightmare creature.

And HEY, speaking of darkly resurrected terrors in human skin, we've got Dark Souls!

And... I don't really need to go on to any further detail, right? Everyone on this board is familiar with Dark Souls?

Everyone who has played video games with any regularity since 2009 is familiar with Dark Souls at least in passing...

Well, here it is again. But portable now!

Pizza Titan Ultra is a pizza delivery game that takes its inspiration equally from Crazy Taxi and Blast Corps, as you pilot a 50 foot robot pizzeria who punches some steaming hot pizza directly into the faces of innocent people.

Also robot tanks try to murder you.

And I don't think its out yet, but WildcatJF seems to think it is, so if you've got a beef, take it up with him; it's Heavy Burger, the crossover nobody expected and fewer people could have ever conceived of in their wildest dreams.

It's a multiplayer competitive shooter, structured like Heavy Barrel, starring the guy from Burger Time... crossing over with other Data East games like Bad Dudes and Joe & Mac.

ANd I swear, the only part I'm making up is the release date; I don't think it's out for a few more weeks. I really just liked "Soul Food" as a thread title, and this tied in to that.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:47 PM
Wisdom's Pissed

Pronouns: he / his

Looks like Heavy Burger got pushed back AGAIN to November 2nd.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:32 AM
Mystery Contraption

Itís okay Wildcat, I forgive you.

Whether or not society will, well... thatís out of my hands.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:24 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Dark Souls doesn't even pause if you use the home button to go to the menu. The only way this could be more hilarious is if it still killed you in sleep mode.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:08 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Dark Souls doesn't even pause if you use the home button to go to the menu. The only way this could be more hilarious is if it still killed you in sleep mode.
Review I read said it does pause when you back out to the home menu but only in offline mode, which makes sense. Is that not the case?
Old 10-19-2018, 07:11 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

The fact that you can't pause because it would deny shitty griefers their opportunity to make the game objectively worse is my number one complaint about the series.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:11 PM
World of Darkness Returns

In the Giant Bomb Quick Look they were offline and died while at the home menu.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:24 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

I wish to know more about "Sinner."
Old 10-19-2018, 11:18 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I would also like to know why Life is Strange 2 ep 1 didn't rate in the relevant thread?
Old 10-20-2018, 04:27 AM
Mystery Contraption

Oh I can explain that;

I didnít see it in the new release list in the PSN store and I donít do research.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:53 AM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Fair enough.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:52 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Sinner looks pretty cool. Iím thinking about getting it. Itís getting B-/C reviews which means itís intersting with jank instead of bland and polished so thatís right up my alley.

Tags
dark souls of thread tags , digital downloads , merch , octo does not do research , soul still burns