The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

So I just got to the tree and fed water to the tree now! Spoilers abound.

While messing about, I found there were two other sets of rocks I could blow up. The first led to a tiki bar that seems to just be a cool thing (unless there's drink-mixing puzzles later), but more importantly it got me on a new set of track, where I could blast the rocks blocking a path leading to the junkyard. From there, I got the power turned back on in the remaining areas, unlocked the garage, and opened up the gate so I could turn my minecart around. Then I blew up another set of rocks and found the useless submarine.

Inside the garage, I saw a machine with blue slime and immediatly realized that I needed to display the number 15 in it. But what I did not realize was how to do that. I spent way too long putting numbers in the machine, then I looked up an answer explaining the puzzles in Complicated Math Shit (and that there were more of these), then I found an answer explaining the actual puzzle I was on and it hit me that all I had to do was drag the slime to make the number and the bot's auto correct would do the rest. ME R DUM

Breaking into the mayor's lair, I open a bunch of shortcuts and find a hint about looking under the first mayor. I look at the plaques and his grave a couple of times and my head starts hurting, so I check a FAQ. Again. =/

BUT! Immediately upon seeing the word "box", I left 'cuz I realized what the solution was! I know that box, I opened that box, I saw the post-it note on the back of the compass, and I knew exactly where I could find the solution: the license plate on the wall! And it worked! ME FEEL SMRT NOW!

Then it was just a matter of going under the tree and feeding the tree water that I'd already turned on and the whole room lit up. But of course, I'm just getting started now.

Shit to check out:
  • Three hoses coming out of three portals leading to three worlds
  • That portal back to Canyon Land I made in the wild west town
  • Maybe I can get Jungle Land's gate open now?
Old 10-09-2018, 07:34 PM
i musnt run away

Regarding two of your discoveries (so this isn't a spoiler to worry about for you) I learned after the fact that the Bar and the Submarine were both new areas patched into the game at a later date just to add a little flavor to the setting, a place where the people of Hunrath settle down to get their drink on, and an explanation for how CW is powering his science bunker. They don't actually have any effect on the game's puzzles.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

By the way, Obduction is on sale on PS4 this week if anyone else wants to join in. $20.99, or $17.99 for PlayStation Plus members. I'm slightly bitter that this went on sale only a few days after I bought it!
Old 10-10-2018, 06:07 AM
:O

I don't generally post these here, but if anyone wants to watch two people stumble through one of these games, Brickroad and I will be stumbling through Rhem 2 at around 7 EST this Thursday on his twitch channel (twitch.tv/brickroadbrickroad).
Old 10-10-2018, 11:36 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
I don't generally post these here, but if anyone wants to watch two people stumble through one of these games, Brickroad and I will be stumbling through Rhem 2 at around 7 EST this Thursday on his twitch channel (twitch.tv/brickroadbrickroad).
As a matter of fact, I do want to do just that! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:14 PM

Return of the Obra Dinn came out yesterday. It is a new detective-style adventure game by Lucas Pope, the creator of "Papers, Please". I've been waiting to see this released for what seems like 4 years ever since I saw the first screenshot! It is a fully 3D point and click adventure game, yet uses a monochrome, pixely art style inspired by classic Macintonsh/Apple computers.

To describe the game in short, a 19th century merchant ship has drifted into port with its 60 passengers and crew all long dead. The player plays the role of the investigator, and the object of the game is to determine a) the identities of each dead person, and b) the circumstances of how each person died. Most were murdered. The player must use logic, deduction, and even guesswork to determine -- in each case -- who killed who, who else was present, and what was the cause of death/murder weapon. (Sort of like a 60-fold, interconnected version of "Clue", I take it.)

Here's a video of the first 15 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2y5qH2Jn14

Obra Dinn's unique game mechanic is a magical pocket watch which lets you view a "3D freeze frame scene" from the past, and it is from these scenes you can piece together not just how each person died but also the actual sequence of events that went down and motives at play (it will make more sense in the video). Presumably, the grander mystery of "what happened?" unfolds as you play and is fully revealed by the completion of the game.

Description from the Steam Store:
Quote:
In 1802, the merchant ship Obra Dinn set out from London for the Orient with over 200 tons of trade goods. Six months later it hadn't met its rendezvous point at the Cape of Good Hope and was declared lost at sea.

Early this morning of October 14th, 1807, the Obra Dinn drifted into port at Falmouth with damaged sails and no visible crew. As insurance investigator for the East India Company's London Office, dispatch immediately to Falmouth, find means to board the ship, and prepare an assessment of damages.

Last edited by dosboot; 10-19-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Tags
being quiet , paying attention , science has it all , sitting still , writing down numbers