The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-16-2018, 07:26 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co
Default LttP? No, BotW! (Spoilers, I guess? Or soon to be at least?)

So yeah, I've started playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game recently, and I've gotten quite addicted to it and want to comment on what I find, and since there are 2 different threads and I fear posting in the spoiler-free thread, because I might ruin sth for others, and I don't wanna enter the spoiler-full one, because I might ruin sth for myself, and it's been about 2 years since it came out and all the cool kids have already finished it... I decided to screw thread shortage and cut the gordian knot:

Also note that I'm playing it in Japanese, just because the option's there and it serves as practice; so some names or texts may differ.

Also, I would like to ask you to keep it spoiler-free, and even try to keep advice as well to a minimum/behind spoiler tags, not because I'm against it, but because it may accidentally spoil stuff that I've yet to find and want to discover on my own. It's been a while since I played a game that made just want go out there and see what there is to find, and maybe while I'm here I'll check that funny looking rock, oh and maybe that tree, and maybe... and I want to keep this sensation going for as long as I can.
If you're certain a piece of advice won't be spoiling anything, though, feel free.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:28 AM

And with the introduction out of the way, let's start with the actual meat of the thing:

Cool Stuffs:
Lemme get that one I posted in the spoiler-free thread to gather it all in one place:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensenic View Post
But this one thing stuck with me - in a game that's mostly played not for its rather barebones plot or characters (relatively speaking, and as far as I know/heard of, that is, which admittedly is not much, as I tried to avoid spoilers) in Kakariko village you can find a security guard with two daughters who have lost their mother recently; so now he's taken her role of telling stories to the girls to keep them entertained, and secretly scared of the magical forest nearby so they don't wander off there, even if it's having rather the opposite effect on one of the kids, who is getting increasingly fascinated by it.
This is lovely, but what really got me was the other kid, who I once followed out to a single tree aside of town (next to a weird structure of rocks, that might be the cemetery?) on a rainy day, and the kid started crying; when I talked to her she said that she likes rain because it's the only time she gets to cry because her mom won't notice.
Right in the feels, man. ;_;
I guess the fact that I lost my mother not long ago as well helped too.

Gets sidetracked exploring some mountains, finds a cave, on the other side there's what seems like an oasis? with a lake and misterious built structures in it, each one of them turning out to be a mini-puzzle with sth to be found in it, and while solving them HOLY SHIT SUDDENLY GIANT LONG THING CLIMBING VERTICALLY OUT OF THE WATER!!! GETS THE HELL OUT OF IT, MY GOD IT'S A GIANT FLYING LIGHTNING DRAGON WTF!!!
That was some moment. XD

Moments later I decided to go activate the area's tower, which was close enough, and on the way met some kind of centaur guy who I thought was an NPC who'd train me or sth? Because he was in a big open area? So I happily start walking up to him when it suddenly attacks, doing a whole lot of damage. Ouch. When I saw I could only plink at its life bar pixel by pixel even with my best weapons and he was really hard to hit (guess you have to fight him on horse, or be an excellent shot, which I'm not) I said fuck it and went to the next platform... which then happened to have a Hinox. But I can handle those, the thing was a relief after the previous beating. XD

After getting the camera (really guys, don't give me this feature until now? So many things I could have archived already and now I have to revisit them all! Ouch, my OCD) went to do the beach sheep sidequest, and while I was there I decided to do the shrine in a nearby small island... which then goes "Test of power - Highest rank". Oooooh shit. Well under-equipped and under-prepared but I managed to pull it off after a few attempts at the cost of the 2 fairies I had and my best food and weapons (even the 50 dmg sword didn't do visible changes on its life bar!), but eh, those can be recovered. Got awesome Guardian++ weapons and climbing bonus clothes for my troubles, which sounds like they'll be really useful!
...and then I got killed by a blue lizalfos that I purposefully provoked to try and get a good shot of him. Don't attack the press, man, we're just doing our jobs!

Do Not Want:
Aww, they managed to put a "looks like a little girl but is actually 120+ years old" character in my Zelda. (well, maybe there was one before? It's not like I've played them all, or know them THAT well)
Also, you can read in her diary how she ages backwards through her 50s, 30s, 20s, teens and child ages... and it's not until the "teenager" day that you can read how her assistant is giving her pervy looks and trying to "cop a feel".
Checkkyy!! ;-D
Was this edited out/toned down in the English version, perchance?

Motion control-based tests in shrines can go tumble off a poorly controlled platform shown from a bad perspective into a bottomless pit and die, kthx.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Oh No!

Quote:
Do Not Want:
Aww, they managed to put a "looks like a little girl but is actually 120+ years old" character in my Zelda. (well, maybe there was one before? It's not like I've played them all, or know them THAT well)
Also, you can read in her diary how she ages backwards through her 50s, 30s, 20s, teens and child ages... and it's not until the "teenager" day that you can read how her assistant is giving her pervy looks and trying to "cop a feel".
Checkkyy!! ;-D
In the English version the "teen" entry just says her assistant is looking at her differently, which could be taken the same as pervy looks, or could just be him seeing her as more of a child and thus less capable. In this case the latter seems a bit more likely as entry says he insists on being the one running her blood work this time instead of letting her do it. No mention of him trying to cop a feel or any untoward physical contact by him in the entry.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovewolf View Post
In the English version the "teen" entry just says her assistant is looking at her differently, which could be taken the same as pervy looks, or could just be him seeing her as more of a child and thus less capable. In this case the latter seems a bit more likely as entry says he insists on being the one running her blood work this time instead of letting her do it. No mention of him trying to cop a feel or any untoward physical contact by him in the entry.
Ah, yes, it's the same in the Japanese version, the "cop a feel" part is just how I worded it bc I didn't remember the circumstances exactly but yeah, it's him insisting on letting him do the blood test, now that you mention it.
She does explicitly say that he's giving her "eroi" (pervy) looks though, so no doubt about the intent.

*sigh*
Old 08-17-2018, 04:01 AM

And after that I got to meet the Token Okama Character, le sigh x2.

Oh well, at least he's selling me a neat looking house, too bad I ended up wasting a lot of time trying to get to a place where I think I could grind the 30 wood things he asks for, only to get sidetracked by different things here and there (and not managing to do much except for finding korogus and taking pictures) and to the combination of needing to climb walls no matter where I approached from and a particularly rainy weather. Ugh.
Hope there's a way to climb freely regardless of weather later on, that'd save a lot of time and frustration.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:45 AM
Oh No!

Quote:
And after that I got to meet the Token Okama Character, le sigh x2.

Oh well, at least he's selling me a neat looking house, too bad I ended up wasting a lot of time trying to get to a place where I think I could grind the 30 wood things he asks for, only to get sidetracked by different things here and there (and not managing to do much except for finding korogus and taking pictures) and to the combination of needing to climb walls no matter where I approached from and a particularly rainy weather. Ugh.
Hope there's a way to climb freely regardless of weather later on, that'd save a lot of time and frustration.
No rain will always hamper climbing, though you can somewhat counteract rain while climbing by getting in the rhythm of 1,2,3,Jump - you'll still backslide, but you should have made overall progress. Unfortunately you'll need a lot of stamina for that so it helps to have the full climbing outfit and some stamina replenishing food on hand.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:33 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

One of the abilities you unlock helps with skipping a lot of climbing.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:47 PM
oh my car

One thing you can do about rain anytime, but not anywhere, is to light a fire in a sheltered area and wait out the storm (the slate's weather forecast is accurate).

The direction you should go in order to acquire a better general solution for climbing in rain is (highlight if you actually want to know) northwest.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:02 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

There is another option that is not a universal solution to issues with rain but is quite useful in the areas that face it the most that you're probably close to since you've visited Hateno. It is on the east side and somewhat centrally located. You will know when you're getting close to it.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:15 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Not related to climbing in rain, but going to Hyrule Castle first thing after the plateau is an interesting challenge just to see how much you can do so early in the game.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:01 AM

Ha, in the end the wood planks gathering ended up being much easier when I figured out that any cut down tree can be axed into wood. I thought it was a random drop like the Korogu (Kolog? Korogu?) leaf, but quite rarer or that only certain trees dropped (small palmtrees, which are in the area I was trying to go to, because I'd gotten some when I was there first), and that certainly felt stupid and frustrating. Good thing the stupid was me all along? XD

Anyway, I'm a home owner now, with a minimally furbished house (with some of the best weapons I've found for decoration), and am exploring the south eastern beaches and doing various sidequests. Found a fishing village in the beach and suddenly it's all Moana'd up in here. Met my first Gerudo! But I haven't seen much else in there because it was late.

...aaand I have the feeling I had some other anecdote to tell but can't remember for the life of me what it was. Maybe I should write this stuff down. Oh well.

Oh, and I've seen some place names that I'm assuming are references to other Zelda games? Such as the Hikori Forest (Hikori ~ Pikori = Minish in the west) or the Koholit, errr... peak? Point is, it's called Koholit, which, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovewolf View Post
No rain will always hamper climbing, though you can somewhat counteract rain while climbing by getting in the rhythm of 1,2,3,Jump - you'll still backslide, but you should have made overall progress. Unfortunately you'll need a lot of stamina for that so it helps to have the full climbing outfit and some stamina replenishing food on hand.
Alas, I've tried that but I never get too far (me clumsy), I manage only short climbs like that. But it's fine, I just end up doing whatever else, it's not like there's nothing else to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
There is another option that is not a universal solution to issues with rain but is quite useful in the areas that face it the most that you're probably close to since you've visited Hateno. It is on the east side and somewhat centrally located. You will know when you're getting close to it.
Hmmm, intriguing. I guess I haven't seen it then, but all in its due time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Not related to climbing in rain, but going to Hyrule Castle first thing after the plateau is an interesting challenge just to see how much you can do so early in the game.
Not all the way to Hyrule Castle, but I did go to the area's tower first thing. It was full of guardians everywhere, but I managed to activate it... then hightail it out of there fast. XD (but I didn't teleport away, I had captured my first horse and I wanted to keep it! And I did!)
Old 08-20-2018, 08:41 AM
oh my car

Quote:
Korogu (Kolog? Korogu?)
Korok
Old 08-29-2018, 02:20 PM

Haven't updated this in a while, since I don't have that many anecdotes, keep exploring, keep finding stuff, etc.

I was going to do the Fountain of Wisdom, but I wanted to explore the south and east of Hateno a bit more first... ended up doing a lot of the southern jungle and the Fountain of Courage first.
THEN I started going north to get the first memory and the Fountain of Wisdom, but a star fragment (I hadn't managed to get to a fallen star yet!) and a new tower ended up pulling me farther north and ended up meeting the Zora prince... now I don't know if I should go back to my original purpose or do the Zora main quest, since I already started it. Decisions, decisions... XD

What else? Oh, I seem to not be able to find a complete set of clothes (except the ones you can outright buy, of course) - found me, by chance, the climbing cap and shirt, but not the pants. After that, only the rubber helmet (what an ugly thing) and pants, but not the body piece; I kept hoping to find it as a treasure in electricity-themed areas shrines or quests but nope, just glowing weapons all around.
Oh well, they'll show up eventually.

And finally, linguistics! I didn't get the Hateno name at first, but when I got to the island where they strip you of everything (and which I haven't been able to beat yet, after a few attempts, dammit) it clicked: it's called Saihateno island.
"Hate" means "end" or "last" (more or less, can't remember exactly and can't be bothered to check ) in Japanese, and "no" is "of" so the town's name is literally "town of the end" or "the last town". And "sai hate no" means "The very last" or "at the very end", and indeed the island is at the very end of the map. They didn't think too much when naming these. XD
Old 08-29-2018, 05:32 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
And finally, linguistics! I didn't get the Hateno name at first, but when I got to the island where they strip you of everything (and which I haven't been able to beat yet, after a few attempts, dammit) it clicked: it's called Saihateno island.
"Hate" means "end" or "last" (more or less, can't remember exactly and can't be bothered to check ) in Japanese, and "no" is "of" so the town's name is literally "town of the end" or "the last town". And "sai hate no" means "The very last" or "at the very end", and indeed the island is at the very end of the map. They didn't think too much when naming these. XD
It being named "the last town" makes sense for lore reasons, some of which you've probably already encountered, but some of which you wouldn't have yet. If you don't care about minor spoilers: Hateno was the only town unaffected by the Calamity, as the Guardians never made it there for reasons that you can eventually figure out. You can see this in all the dead Guardians in the fields to the west of the wall.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
One of the abilities you unlock helps with skipping a lot of climbing.
Ah, I think I got what you meant, perhaps, with the waterfall climbing? It's funny how even with the Zora clothes swimming spends stamina, but climbing a friggin waterfall of any length at top speed doesn't. Magic! :V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
It being named "the last town" makes sense for lore reasons, some of which you've probably already encountered, but some of which you wouldn't have yet. If you don't care about minor spoilers: Hateno was the only town unaffected by the Calamity, as the Guardians never made it there for reasons that you can eventually figure out. You can see this in all the dead Guardians in the fields to the west of the wall.
Hmmm... I know about the wall, and the guardians not reaching (the battlefield in front of the wall is quite impressive indeed), but you say there's more to it...? Intriguing.

Updates!
I beat my first Holy Beast (or whtv they're called in English) and dungeon, yay! The Elephant of the Zoras! (Man, that damn trunk gave me trouble until I realized how I had to set it up for several of the puzzles) I decided to get it done with quickly so I could clear the weather in the area and was able to explore around freely. XD
I also killed my first Rainer! (Rhiner? Ryner?) Up in Thunder Peak (or similar name, don't remember exactly). Motherfucker was tough and took a lot of food from me (specially because I was just trying to get a good photo for about the first "half" of the fight, haha), but I got 'im good. And then to celebrate I jumped off a really tall cliff headfirst and nothing happened to me because as we all know water is soft.

Other stuff... unlocked several northern towers, including the Akkare region which is basically Koholint island, most names are straight out from Link's Awakening.
And last night at the last minute, when going to one last tower to activate... I finally met the big Korok guy again! Embiggen ALL the inventories! \o/ I think I'll concentrate on finding Korok Forest (which he tells me is nearby?) and maximize my capacities before going back to the scheduled program (Fountain of Wisdom, which I haven't done yet, Saihateno Island, Akkare...)
This truly is "Getting Sidetracked: The Game"

Also! Yesterday, while on a speed potion high, I managed to catch up to a deer by chance (wasn't even following it) and saw... that you can ride them! Oh boy, "Try to ride all big mammals" added onto the list, Yimothy style.
Also loved the line I got from the Horse Inn guy "errr... dear customer, you notice that is not a horse you're riding, right?" It's too bad you can't register them, though, I was already thinking up a punny name for my dear deer.

And on the "Unfortunate Implications"/"Was this softened for the west?" section:
A Zora side quest ends up in cheering up and wishing good luck to a guy who's been hitting on a Zora small child by letter, and who has already lied to her once telling her he's a beefed up macho man; whether he knows about her age or not is not specified (or I didn't get it). At any rate, yuck. D:
Old 09-04-2018, 10:14 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Ah, I think I got what you meant, perhaps, with the waterfall climbing? It's funny how even with the Zora clothes swimming spends stamina, but climbing a friggin waterfall of any length at top speed doesn't. Magic! :V
That's not it, actually
Old 09-04-2018, 12:21 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Akkare
Akkala
Old 09-04-2018, 01:00 PM
⃠PROFOUND ✓PROFANE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Quote:
Checkkyy!! ;-D
Yeah, in the English Version, Tiny Grandma's assistant came across as much less PERVERT and much more "What the fuck is even happening here". I read the bloodwork line as much less "LEMME EXAMINE UR BODY" and much more "Okay my boss...

1. just tested a bunch of unknown super-science on herself.
2. is currently grappling with the very real possibility of de-aging out of existence.
3. is currently experiencing a decade's worth of TEENAGE HORMONES in a single day.

And I'm supposed to just sit here while she draws her own blood? Yeah I don't fucking think so.

That was my take anyways.

Fucking lame that the JPN version screws it all up.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:12 PM
⃠PROFOUND ✓PROFANE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Quote:
Alas, I've tried that but I never get too far (me clumsy), I manage only short climbs like that. But it's fine, I just end up doing whatever else, it's not like there's nothing else to do.
Dumb climbing trick: Many slopes that aren't 90-Degree sheer cliffaces can actually be ran up a few steps by link before he grabs the wall and goes into climbing animation. This means that most MASSIVE MOUNTAIN WALLS can be conquered with no stamina upgrades or food by looking for spots where the incline is a little less steep and exiting the climbing animation. Link will almost always make it a few steps up the wall before re-grabbing it, and gain a sizable chunk of his stamina wheel while doing so.

This is also useful for times when you want to climb relatively small things during rainstorms. Just scramble as far as you can up by cancling every time link goes into climbing animation, then when it gets altogether too steep, climb for a few second and exit the animation as soon as you hit the next less-steep slope.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
That's not it, actually
Oh... well, then. Sth else to look forward to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Akkala
Hm... I wonder why this apparently random change of one letter.
Like, katakana KO-RO-GU should transcript to any variant of Kolog, Korog, Kologu, Korogu... but then the G is swapped for a K. And now, for the katakana AKKARE, the E changes into an A. Gotta wonder why, probably just sounded better to the localizing team, but eh. :thinking emoji:
I'm curious to see if there'll be more changes like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Yeah, in the English Version, Tiny Grandma's assistant came across as much less PERVERT and much more "What the fuck is even happening here". I read the bloodwork line as much less "LEMME EXAMINE UR BODY" and much more "Okay my boss...

1. just tested a bunch of unknown super-science on herself.
2. is currently grappling with the very real possibility of de-aging out of existence.
3. is currently experiencing a decade's worth of TEENAGE HORMONES in a single day.

And I'm supposed to just sit here while she draws her own blood? Yeah I don't fucking think so.

That was my take anyways.

Fucking lame that the JPN version screws it all up.
Well, one more benevolent possible lecture of it, that I didn't think of, could be that he's indeed just genuinely worried, for those very obvious reasons, and she's the one who misreads it as sexual attraction/perversion (specially if her hormones are indeed flaring up as a teen again, so in her mind it's all horniness all the time, haha).
But still, unfortunate to place that joke in that day, could've at least done it in the 30's or 20's if they had to... u_u

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Dumb climbing trick: Many slopes that aren't 90-Degree sheer cliffaces can actually be ran up a few steps by link before he grabs the wall and goes into climbing animation. This means that most MASSIVE MOUNTAIN WALLS can be conquered with no stamina upgrades or food by looking for spots where the incline is a little less steep and exiting the climbing animation. Link will almost always make it a few steps up the wall before re-grabbing it, and gain a sizable chunk of his stamina wheel while doing so.

This is also useful for times when you want to climb relatively small things during rainstorms. Just scramble as far as you can up by cancling every time link goes into climbing animation, then when it gets altogether too steep, climb for a few second and exit the animation as soon as you hit the next less-steep slope.
Wow, that's some advanced tech there. I've grasped the "try to find the least steep slope" in the hopes that some facet will be non-steep enough for Link to stand on it, but that's the next level. Might try it if I remember, thx!

----------
More Updates!

Reached the Korogkukgu Forest, yay!!
The inventory maracas guy was not there, nay!! I understand now that his schtick will be that he keeps getting lost all around the map, won't it? *sigh*
The Master Sword was in there, yay!!
I don't have enough hearts yet to retrieve it, nay!!

So, in short, Korok Forest is a land of contr- *gunshot*

Language!
Playing this game I learned the Japanese name of the Master Sword: Taima no Tsurugi - Demon Slaying/Vanquishing Sword. But yesterday one (1) Korok did refer to it as "Master Sword" outright, in katakana (Masutaa Soodo)... so I wonder what's up with that.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:28 AM
Boom

Quote:
Language!
Playing this game I learned the Japanese name of the Master Sword: Taima no Tsurugi - Demon Slaying/Vanquishing Sword. But yesterday one (1) Korok did refer to it as "Master Sword" outright, in katakana (Masutaa Soodo)... so I wonder what's up with that.
I would guess that it's always been the Master Sword, and that Taima no Tsurugi is just an epithet like "the Blade of Evil's Bane" is in the English releases.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:30 AM

Aaaah, there you have it then. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:03 PM
oh my car

"Korok" is a localization from Wind Waker.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:44 PM

They are apparently called "Krogs" in Germany
Old 09-06-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Is this true??

I don't know why but this made me laugh an absurd amount.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:30 AM

search "krog zelda" and delight in the numerous German-language results that appear
Old 09-06-2018, 02:15 PM
Tausendsassa

Quote:
This makes sense when you realize that a 'g' at the end of a word is pronounced like a 'k' in German.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:47 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
The inventory maracas guy was not there, nay!! I understand now that his schtick will be that he keeps getting lost all around the map, won't it? *sigh*
Are you sure? I thought he was always there.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:59 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
I understand now that his schtick will be that he keeps getting lost all around the map, won't it?
It's not. Once he's there, he stays there. It can be a kind of visually busy area with the worst frame-rate in the game, so maybe you just missed him?

Alternately, he might still be on his way there. (I think there's a stable he visits between his first location and the forest.)
Old 09-06-2018, 03:05 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Yeah, I think he stops in one or two places before finding his final location.

Tags
breath of the wild , legend of zelda , lttp , zelda