The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-23-2018, 06:59 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I've never watched TWD or read the comics or anything and I loved the game.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:06 PM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
I imagine soon we'll be getting some big expose on Telltale's demise by Kotaku or somewhere. I'd be really curious to hear more from what ex-employees are willing to say when speaking anonymously.
Read The Verge article that Sensenic linked. It's from a few months ago, but goes pretty deep into the stuff that seems like it led to the studio's demise. Although it ends on a now-tragically-ironic positive note.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:19 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
Read The Verge article that Sensenic linked. It's from a few months ago, but goes pretty deep into the stuff that seems like it led to the studio's demise. Although it ends on a now-tragically-ironic positive note.
Yeah, I already read that, it was a good piece. Once I heard Telltale was closing I immediately thought back to that article.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:44 PM

Horrifying. Some sources are saying that none of their games after The Walking Dead S1 actually turned a profit besides the Minecraft one, and the Batman games were huge bombs, which is mind-boggling if true. They just... kept going making all these games no one (well, not enough) wanted until it all imploded? In any case RIP Telltale, Tales from the Borderlands will always be a masterpiece.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:00 PM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drav View Post
Horrifying. Some sources are saying that none of their games after The Walking Dead S1 actually turned a profit besides the Minecraft one, and the Batman games were huge bombs, which is mind-boggling if true. They just... kept going making all these games no one (well, not enough) wanted until it all imploded? In any case RIP Telltale, Tales from the Borderlands will always be a masterpiece.
Based on the Campo Santo article I found, Tales from the Borderlands apparently turned a profit, though not much of one, and was critically praised, but Telltale still considered it a flop internally.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:18 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Dunno how relevant this is, but did Telltale need to develop a custom engine for their games, especially since they seemed to be bad at that part? The Life is Strange series runs on Unreal and Unity and those seem capable of everything Telltale's games did.

Edit: Also, do you think there's much of a future in live-action dialogue games like Contradiction: Spot the Liar? Maybe there's value in using it to climb to the top of the uncanny valley when it's too difficult and expensive to do it with CG.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovewolf View Post
Based on the Campo Santo article I found, Tales from the Borderlands apparently turned a profit, though not much of one, and was critically praised, but Telltale still considered it a flop internally.
Ok that source I read is probably a bit suspect then. Seemed unlikely they'd just keep going for six years with basically the same strategy if nothing was making money, including TWD sequels.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:51 AM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Dunno how relevant this is, but did Telltale need to develop a custom engine for their games, especially since they seemed to be bad at that part? The Life is Strange series runs on Unreal and Unity and those seem capable of everything Telltale's games did.

Edit: Also, do you think there's much of a future in live-action dialogue games like Contradiction: Spot the Liar? Maybe there's value in using it to climb to the top of the uncanny valley when it's too difficult and expensive to do it with CG.
Telltale's engine definitely predates Unity's popularity and I think it might even predate or be contemporaneous with Unreal 3. I believe they've been running on the same tech since the Sam and Max games.

Besides that, there are real advantages to using proprietary technology, both from a "owning your stuff" perspective and from a specialization perspective.

From the sound of it, the engine wasn't a problem because it was badly made, per se, but because it was out of date
Old 09-24-2018, 05:33 AM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post

Besides that, there are real advantages to using proprietary technology, both from a "owning your stuff" perspective and from a specialization perspective.

From the sound of it, the engine wasn't a problem because it was badly made, per se, but because it was out of date
Which is the downside of using proprietary technology: You are responsible for updating it, and there always seems to be not enough time for it.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:32 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drav View Post
Ok that source I read is probably a bit suspect then. Seemed unlikely they'd just keep going for six years with basically the same strategy if nothing was making money, including TWD sequels.
Probably diminishing returns.

They likely made a plan like:

Each game costs X and takes Y employees to create, then makes Z. So based on TWD's success they multiplied X and Y by 5 or w/e and assumed Z would be 5x as much as well.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:22 PM

Pretty sad to see. I probably should have seen it coming when I kept seeing a lot of Telltale's stuff float in to one of my local overstock/salvage stores over the past few years.

Anyway, I've not finished a lot of their stuff, despite owning a lot of it. The two I have were Tales of Monkey Island, which was a hoot, and Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People (aka SBCG4AP). If you're a Homestar Runner fan, this is the game for you. I loved it.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:55 PM
We just don't know.

I loved TWD seasons 1 and 2. 1 more than 2, obviously, but I still liked 2 a whole lot. Some people have Mai Waifu in a game and that's stupid and dumb, but then I played TWD and met Clem and eventually realized I had a Mai Do-ta- and it made a little bit of sense.

I own Tales from the Borderlands and Batman. I don't know when I'll get around to them since I just got a Switch and it's going to be my mission to catch up on some of the library there for a bit, but I do hope to play them someday. I'm sad there won't be anything else, and I especially feel bad for all those employees who just got shit on. Coming right after Capcom shuttered its Vancouver office and Big Fish laying off 15% of its workforce today, it's been a rough shitty month for west coast video games with over 600 people suddenly out of work.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:48 AM
Kiiiryu-chan~

Ex-employees are filing a class-action lawsuit against Telltale Games for violating labor laws, invluding failing to warn them ahead of time that the layoffs were coming. Apparently, they were in "work until 3am crunch time" up to the very last moment. It's not surprising anymore that everyone who could already jumped ship and that the company tanked.

So, you know.

Corporations gonna corporation, and everything human beings like is bought by the suffering and misery of other human beings.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:31 PM

the wheel in the sky keeps a turnin'
Old 09-27-2018, 11:41 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
the wheel in the sky keeps a turnin'
Proud Mary keep on boinin'
Old 10-19-2018, 04:03 PM
Kiiiryu-chan~

Super Bunnyhop does serious reporting on Telltale's closure:

Old 10-20-2018, 02:25 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

That wink at the end... *chef's kiss*

Thanks for the link, it was most interesting.

Tags
dreadful sorry clementine , games industry , telltale