The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-16-2018, 10:31 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any
Default Discord has...Games???

Apparently Discord is trying to become a storefront in itself, separate from Steam and everything else.

I find it funny because apparently, they went around the world to convince indie devs to put games exclusively on their storefront...that only accepts US debit/credit cards. :V

They also turned their Discord Nitro into a subscription service for a rotating list of games, so I guess I have no excuse to not play Guacamelee now.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:56 AM
⃠PROFOUND ✓PROFANE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

I'm not sure anything can possibly threaten Steam's status as "the thing all your games are in".

But being "the thing that's already on every nerd's computer" isn't a bad way to start.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:01 PM
⃠PROFOUND ✓PROFANE

Realtalk, if Discord adds a way I can throw my steam library into their program and launch games through it, I just might go "WELL ALRIGHT THEN" and never open steam again.

This will NEVER HAPPEN, and now that they're officially a competitor, I bet the higher-ups at HELL COMPANY VALVE are scrambling to find a way to put video and Voice chat into their next Steam UI update.

But if it did... Man!
Old 10-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

It already sort of does it; the little summary page Discord boots into on PC keeps track of the games you play while it's open and keeps a short list of Recently Played buttons you can hit to launch the respective game. Doesn't quite register everything though.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:56 PM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Steam is already desperately scrambling to keep Discord from eating their lunch. That's why the last major update completely revamped the friends list to better resemble Discord in both form and function (and I hate it).

I am of several minds on this development. Steam is a garbage company that keeps making frustrating decisions that indicate an ever more troubling direction going forward, however, it's also where all of my games live and I will literally cry if/when I lose access to that library. Also, it's not as if I trust this new shitty tech company to be any less of a trash fire once they're ascendant.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:30 PM

Would love to see Discord make a universal launcher that tracks all your game time. Literally the only reason for Steam's existence. If Discord can pull it off, I'm never looking back.

It's almost like the people who make their lame launchers don't even play or like games...
Old 10-16-2018, 01:35 PM

Discord is a really awesome piece of tech. So many voice/chat apps exist out there but very few are as capable or well engineered. I don't know if I particularly desire yet another game storefront/DRM platform, but if they need to do that to stay profitable, then that's fine. I just hope it doesn't compromise the quality of the software.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:36 PM
earthquake ace

Discord actually does have a button that looks for all the games you have downloaded from any source and drops them in.

Granted, for games with launchers like Steam, attempting to open them through Discord will open the launcher (with maybe also telling the launcher to open the game?)
Old 10-16-2018, 01:54 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Steam would be far more useful to me if I could play those games on my consoles, via an app or some such.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Chaotic Good

Pronouns: he / him

Discord is great and I've been dreading the day they make it a pay service and it dies. Or however else they're able to ruin it.

If this puts that off a few years good. If it squeezes Valve at all even better.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:20 PM
I am a Gundam!

I am always down for more Steam competitors. How terrible is Discord? I mean, GOG has that connection to CD Projekt Red, which is not great thanks to Twitter. Steam's terriblosity is clear, and needs no explanation.

EDIT: oh my god they're doing a NetFlix thing but for PC games with their Nitro subscription service
they... they might have a chance against Steam if they can land more games

EDIT EDIT: Looks like you can't buy the games that are available through their subscription service but check out some of this shit: System Shock: Enhanced Edition, Soma, Psychonauts, Wasteland 2, Metro Last Light Redux, Guacamelee, Risk of Rain, Monaco, FTL, System Shock 2, etc.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: oh dope, it can literally just grab games you've recently played, even before it was installed
FAKE EDIT: oh hell, I haven't even played Kingdom Come: Deliverance yet, so you don't even need to play it?

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: dang, you can't manually add games into your Discord library yet

Last edited by LancerECNM; 10-16-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:00 PM
earthquake ace

I'm kind of impressed that it picked up what looks like most of my Steam games, even the ones on my external drive. There are a few missing, but overall it's pretty good.

It even picked up the Dolphin emulator I have. :V

But yeah, it doesn't seem like you can add games arbitrarily. I thought you might be able to if you opened the game and told Discord "yes, this program is a game, please show it under now playing", but nope.

I figure it'll probably come soon.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:12 PM
I am a Gundam!

Yeah, I checked and the official word from Discord is that it can't be done. No indication if that's "can't be done yet" or "we fucked up the framework really hard somehow."
Old 10-16-2018, 06:25 PM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

I quite like the idea of a "Netflix for games" and if they add more games that I haven't already played, I might give it a shot.

Even if I didn't already like Discord, it's great to have some more competition for Steam. And it helps that I do really like Discord and use it all the time!
Old 10-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
I quite like the idea of a "Netflix for games" and if they add more games that I haven't already played, I might give it a shot.
Yes, a Netflix for games is a... really good idea. Heh. (puts on his GameTap hoodie from 2006)

I use Discord fairly frequently, but only as a substitute for Skype, which got worse and worse after the Microsoft acquisition. My greatest fear is that Microsoft will buy Discord and ruin that as well.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:54 PM
⃠PROFOUND ✓PROFANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Also, it's not as if I trust this new shitty tech company to be any less of a trash fire once they're ascendant.
For what little it's worth Discord has a much better Track Record than Valve when it comes to telling Nazi Punks "Fuck Off".

Picking the right choice between "IT WOULD BE WRONG TO NOT GIVE WHITE SUPREMACISTS A PLATFORM" and "FUCK NO YOU CAN'T USE OUR SERVER TO PLAN YOUR LITTLE PRO-GENOCIDE MEETUPS" wins you a lot of points in my book.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:32 PM
oh my car

A subscription service for PC games makes sense, but I didn't expect Discord of all outfits to be the ones to try it. They are pretty well-positioned, though.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:21 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Yikes. Yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:34 PM
⃠PROFOUND ✓PROFANE

Email sent.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:35 PM
⃠PROFOUND ✓PROFANE

Honestly they're probably just trying to cover their asses from the Alt-Right Servers they banned en-mass.

They'd be the only ones I could think of who would try to class action Discord at this point.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:21 PM
Dinger!

From what I've heard, it's more that they're trying to cover their asses if they ever get hacked and a bunch of customers get their information stolen.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:49 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Hey, that's a lot easier than investing in data security.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:50 PM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

Opted out. The scoundrels!
Old 10-19-2018, 03:13 PM
I am a Gundam!

Ah yes, the reminder that corporations are never your friend and are out solely to fuck you. Thanks Discord!

Tags
consuming epic bacon...