The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Kermit the frog
Old 12-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrael View Post
I love out of context new-page posts.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:10 AM
oh my car

Kermit is already a different character: Yoda's dad.

You think I'm joking. Yoda is the son of Kermit and Miss Piggy.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:36 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Kermit is already a different character: Yoda's dad.

You think I'm joking. Yoda is the son of Kermit and Miss Piggy.
Green being, easy is not.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
This might be a moot question, but if 8 or 9 were to bring back Anakin's force ghost to have him scold Kylo Ren, who should play him?
If Kylo Ren is hallucinating him, James Earl Jones. If it's an honest-to-goodness g-g-g-ghost! Hayden Christensen.

Interesting question!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:44 AM
Can't peeve the Sheev

If it's Christensen as the ghost, they can do some meta stuff where Kylo becomes really disappointed that his pre-cyborg grandfather doesn't look anything like the muscular super-killer that he imagined (and that he imagines himsels as being).
Old 12-07-2017, 06:56 AM
All are Santa Saturn

Regarding the Last Jedi:

Just wanted to say they're releasing some very spoilerish material in some of the newest TV spots, stuff that is uncharacteristic of the Disney machine. Like, "Oh shit, that happens?" stuff. There's still the question of how it happens, etc. But some images are plot giveaways. So if you care about that stuff, I'd advise a media shut out.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:17 AM
oh my car

Trailers always lie.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Trailers always lie.
S'true. This Class III hitch said that is uses a 2" x 2" receiver tube for the ball mount, but it's 3" X 3"!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:05 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Quote:
Trailers always lie.
While this is certainly true, and there's been some misdirection with TLJ trailers, this 1 or 2 second shot in the latest TV spot would quite a feat if it was a lie.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:44 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Finn shoots first.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Finn shoots, he scores! The Resistance goes to the Natoonals.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:32 PM
I. Love. It.

Welp, The Last Jedi impressions are starting to trickle in (overwhelmingly good so far) but spoilers won't be too far behind. I won't get to see this flick for over two weeks, likely not until shortly after Christmas, so I'm gonna have to be crazy vigilant if I want to avoid them. I was spoiled on the big moment in Force Awakens, and looking back I wish I could have been surprised by it in theatres. I'm so, so bad at avoiding spoilers, often I wind up seeking them out rather than wait, but this time I'ma try.

But, uh, will Last Jedi spoilers be quarantined to their own thread like Force Awakens, or am I avoiding any Star Wars labeled thread here until I see it?
Old 12-10-2017, 01:11 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
But, uh, will Last Jedi spoilers be quarantined to their own thread like Force Awakens, or am I avoiding any Star Wars labeled thread here until I see it?
That sounds like a good idea to me.

I ran into the spoilery part of a recent trailer in a youtube thumbnail. It doesn't actually reveal anything, but it suggests a lot and it would have been nice to see it in the movie instead of randomly tacked on to a trailer.

I'm not sure when I'm going to see it yet. I should check with friends to see if anyone has plans yet. I am off work during the day on Friday, so maybe I'll try to catch a matinee showing if no one else has plans.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:13 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
I would assume spoilers will be contained in their own thread.

I watched the red carpet premiere last night and waited around for reactions and, yes, it's overwhelmingly positive. I've seen a few people post more in-depth impressions and they said it has a ton of those Star Wars moments everyone loves while also going in a lot of new directions. Also, it isn't a re-tread homage to Empire in the way that TFA reworked A New Hope. I also heard a lot of the best moments are not featured or even hinted at in the trailers or TV spots; they've hidden a lot from us.

I have my tickets for Thursday night at 9:30PM. Probably going to skip away from Facebook/YouTube until I can see it.

The media embargo for review is lifted on Tuesday morning, and I'd avoid social media if you want to go in truly clean.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:13 PM
oh my car

In the original post, I suggested making a separate thread to talk about The Last Jedi. I'd recommend using that one to discuss everything about it - previews, reviews, the film itself, etc. - and not mention it in here for at least a month.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:44 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah, I'm probably going to see it with people on Xmas, and have to decide if I'm going to also see it in the next few days to avoid spoilers, since I kind of live on the internet. Managed to avoid the final trailer so far, at least.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:34 PM
oh my car

Fake spoilers for The Last Jedi are out there. Even if you hear something, you can't assume that it's the truth.

Today I am watching The Force Awakens.

Right from the opening crawl, you can detect the difference between TFA and the Lucas hexalogy. By and large, the previous episodes gave a summary about the state of the galaxy, whereas in this one, it focuses on the people. The whole film focuses on the characters at the expense of the setting, which is the opposite decision from the prequels.

That's not the only thing where it went in a different direction. It took this series rewatch to make me see it, but there's a criterion that you can apply that sorts the Star War into two categories. There are those where the film depicts the cast with enduring friendships, and those where the film depicts the relationships as strained.

Luke's strong and uncomplicated affection and concern for Han and Leia puts all of the originals into that former category; the motif of detachment sort of requires the prequels to enter the latter category, even before you get into Anakin's repression. Rogue One, too, shows a band of distrustful misfits with a common cause.

So where does The Force Awakens fit in? Finn and Poe develop an immediate rapport, and then Finn and Rey have their moment after flying off Jakku. No time is wasted in establishing a power trio and telegraphing that this is for the whole trilogy. I'd almost say they lay it on a little thick.

In some modes of viewing, seeing nice people being nice to each other, friends getting along, is a major enhancement to the tone of the work. Media is not only there to express an artistic idea, nor just to dazzle with spectacle; stories also provide what is called "parasocial interaction," using fictional people in fictional situations to supplement the stimulation, education, and even nourishment that comes from involvement of real people in one's life. For those who are chiefly motivated to approach a film for its parasocial content, strife among the protagonists simulates strife among a peer group, and is distressing in a very similar way.

But that ain't a problem for this movie.

Anyway. Mask imagery. Kylo Ren's mask is called out early. Finn's awakening comes when comrade removes the anonymity of his mask by smearing blood on it, and there's a match cut between him and Rey's scavenging mask. A character removing their mask signifies becoming human.

I stepped through Rey's vision in slow motion. She touches Anakin's old lightsaber. First thing she sees is a corridor on an unfamiliar spaceship that is blowing up or crashing. Rocks collapse and she's with Luke and R2, kneeling before a fire, I think in a cave. Yoda's description of what the Force does is heard. Then it's raining, and she's in a field, where Kylo Ren and the other Knights of Ren are killing people, presumably Jedi trainees. Backing away she sees her own abandonment on Jakku with Unkar Plutt, and her family flies away into the sun, which turns into a closing, reddening door in a darkening sky that looks like what happens when Starkiller Base ingests its sun. She hears Obi-Wan calling her as she's in the forest on Starkiller, foreseeing her duel with Kylo Ren. And then she's back in the basement.

I'm guessing the scenes in the vision are in chronological order, but the sounds are not. Ghosts are trying to show her what has happened, but she can't understand it yet. She's only just awakening.

The comparisons of this movie to A New Hope are way overstated. This far into A New Hope they were on the Death Star.

Finn is the one who gets to scream No in this one.

There's also jacket imagery coming up all the time, and I have not yet figured out what it means. BB-8 recognizes Poe's jacket when Finn is wearing it. Later he says it suits him. Leia calls out Han's jacket, thinking it's the same, but Han says it's different. Jackets as roles? Han is superficially still a scoundrel after all this time - Leia has gone back to what she always did, which is command rebellions, but Han's experiences have genuinely changed him.

Kylo Ren interrogating Rey: loneliness, fear of leaving, an ocean, an island. That's where Luke is. Neither of them realize it. This is where we start to see Kylo's jealousy of Rey. She's taking his place as Han's child and as Anakin's heir, and presumably later as the pupil Luke didn't fail.

The plan to destroy Starkiller involves hitting something powerful as hard as possible, which is why it doesn't work until they change the plan.

This movie introduces a motif of "Light." Previously that wasn't a term. Poe says "As long as there's light, we got a chance." Then the sun goes out just at the moment where Han is killed. Speaking of which, that confrontation was absolutely nailed. The idea of Kylo Ren as someone who has made an ethical commitment to darkness, and finds his love and attachments pulling him away from that and tries to sever them as a result, is a fascinating iteration on the series' themes.

I didn't realize at first that Chewbacca's untranslated plan was to blow a hole in the side of the building so that a weak point for the bombers would be exposed. The editing of this act is not up to the standard of what George Lucas could juggle; it cuts clean away from the dogfight happening up ahead and stays away for a very long time, despite previous scenes going to great lengths to show what dogfights in the air above look like from the surface. Over ten minutes (real-time and in-universe) without any indication of what Poe is up to. I think the space battle here is a weak part of the film.

I also like that Starkiller Base is a snowy forest. A combination of the rebel base on Hoth and the imperial base on Endor, and as a bonus, the planet itself is a cyborg, more machine than world, twisted and evil. And it's a Death Star too! There's a lot going on with this setting.

In addition to being badly wounded and having a crude-looking weapon (to me its jagged edges look like a rusty blade), Kylo Ren is not as much of a swordsman as we've seen in previous films, though he's still winning. He is powerful, and he's trying to take her alive. Rey, meanwhile, is already an adept fighter (more so than Finn, who gets trounced every time he tries to play Jedi), so she can hold him off. But I confirm on this watching that she's using a lot of similar moves to, of all people, Palpatine.

Nice use of lightsabers as light sources in this one. The falling snow makes it even better. Rapidly flashing red and blue on the faces of Rey and Kylo as Rey contemplates the Force. And then she gets a hateful grimace on her face and overpowers him. In that scene, it's Kylo who's the underdog. She shorts out his weapon - I viewed it frame-my-frame and it seems that the blue lightsaber breaks the blade of the red one - and then she has him at her mercy. Then the Force itself intervenes by placing a more literal rift between them.

R2-D2 is awakened by the Force, like some others.

Finn is wearing white at the end, in contrast to the black he's been wearing the whole time. Finn, in retrospect, is a manipulative sort. That, and knowing the weakness of the superweapon, makes him a sort of a successor to R2-D2, doesn't it?

Luke chose a much nicer spot to be a hermit than Yoda did. I guess anyone who grows up on a desert planet dreams of water.

Another thing that struck me throughout the movie is how much more everyone emotes compared to the prior films. There's more shouting, more grunting, more crying. And during the moments of highest emotion, it's more naturalistic. It's a noticeable contrast to, say, Luke discovering the truth about Vader.

I'm ready for Thursday now.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:26 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Quote:
In addition to being badly wounded and having a crude-looking weapon (to me its jagged edges look like a rusty blade), Kylo Ren is not as much of a swordsman as we've seen in previous films, though he's still winning. He is powerful, and he's trying to take her alive. Rey, meanwhile, is already an adept fighter (more so than Finn, who gets trounced every time he tries to play Jedi), so she can hold him off. But I confirm on this watching that she's using a lot of similar moves to, of all people, Palpatine.
TFA came on HBO or Starz or some other thing a few days ago and I caught the last 20 minutes or so; I was also struck by how similar Rey's fighting style is to Palpatine's.

I'm not sure I saw enough of Kylo Ren in action with the lightsaber to determine his skill, especially considering that he had a big-ass hole in the side of his gut, something that strikes me as a slight handicap. (He's still able to take Finn out.) Most of the lightsaber battles in the original trilogy are subdued affairs, relative to the wildness of the prequel battles. We don't get to see too terribly much in TFA. Makes me wonder what those battles will look like in The Last Jedi. I suppose I'll find out in three days.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

I haven't watched FA since it was in theaters, but I remember thinking that the fighting styles matched the blades. Kylo's is a big hulking two-handed thing (more akin to a battleaxe in some sense) which requires huge swings and power, while the sabers are more of a classical fencing weapon.

That being said, I don't remember Palpatine fighting at all so this may fall flat...
Old 12-11-2017, 12:24 AM
oh my car

Palpatine and Rey both used a lot of thrusting motions, stabbing with the tip of the lightsaber rather than swinging it in an arc. It's pretty distinctive if you've seen it enough times to be paying attention to shit like that.

Palpatine fights in Revenge of the Sith. He completely wrecks two Jedi but finds Mace Windu a bit spicier, and either loses or pretends to lose, thereby gaining Anakin's momentary sympathy. Later, he duels Yoda on the floor of the Senate and is victorious.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:15 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Palpatine and Rey both used a lot of thrusting motions, stabbing with the tip of the lightsaber rather than swinging it in an arc. It's pretty distinctive if you've seen it enough times to be paying attention to shit like that.
Ah, that's why I remembered it. They're epeeists rather than sabreurs.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:38 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

I wonder if Rey's fighting style relies more on thrusts because of her use of a staff or spear previously.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:41 AM

Ooh! Give HER the double bladed lightsaber!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:15 AM
is Earnest

Good comment about the jackets. When the movie starts Poe is set up as the protagonist, but then he suddenly disappears when the tie fighter crashes. Finn picks up his jacket from the wreck, BB-8 recognizes it, and from there Finn drives the plot, first by trying to get away from the First Order and then by trying to rescue Rey. When Poe shows up later he's wearing a generic red & white pilot's uniform, and he takes on a secondary role. He notices his jacket on Finn, but tells him that it looks good on him and lets him keep it. Rey stays in her (Jedi-like) scavenger gear for the whole movie, but she wears the jacket briefly on Starkiller Base. Finn is knocked out in the duel, and then when we see him again he is wearing a white outfit, sans jacket. Now that no one is wearing the jacket, R2D2 awakens, and Rey sets out to find Luke. I can't remember the exact order of the ending, I'll have to pay attention the next time to see when we see Finn and when R2 wakes up.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:02 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

The Unipiper continues to make the world a better place.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:02 AM
All are Santa Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Now that no one is wearing the jacket, R2D2 awakens, and Rey sets out to find Luke. I can't remember the exact order of the ending, I'll have to pay attention the next time to see when we see Finn and when R2 wakes up.
R2 wakes up and displays the map to Luke with BB8's help, and then we see Rey say goodbye to the comatose Finn.

I'm not sure where it lands in the Jacket Theory but I cracked a smile whenever Chewy gives Han the coat in the elevator after they find Rey in Starkiller Base.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:06 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
It's worth noting that Empire fixates on portals, doors, and windows - moreso than is usual for a Star War. We even end the movie staring out a window. The transitions between different parts of the carbon chamber mean a lot.
hell yeah it does

one summer growing up, my friends and I watched two movies multiple times a week for the entire summer: Airplane and ESB. The image of ESB which has stuck with me most strongly is at Bespin when Leia has them turn the Milennium Falcon around to go get Luke. As Lando goes through the hatch to get Luke, it cuts to the exterior of the MF hull and you see the hatch iris open and spill forth dazzling golden light before Lando emerges. Magical.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:46 AM
All are Santa Saturn

Default For your consideration

Old 12-13-2017, 12:08 PM
Safe Space

Tags
i'll be careful , rip manny bothans , star wars , you'll be dead!