The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 12-06-2017, 10:42 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
At this point, I've produced most of the cards in the game. I am one really good monster idea short of finishing things up, though. If you come up with something that fits well in the constraints of the game, you could be immortalized in the credits.
An elemental or mimic that inherits the colour of its action card and gains immunity to attacks using cards of that colour?
Old 12-07-2017, 07:28 AM
Yes, let's feast!

That's such a good idea that I already have a major boss designed around something similar At this point, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel, though, so any and all ideas are welcome.

Here's a list of the monsters currently in the game:
]Regular monsters
Sirens sing at your dudes
Slime splits
Stone Golem is immune to the first hit each round
Cyclops has damage reduction
Kobolds come in packs of five
Salamander has an attack that deals big damage to anyone without a blue card
Summoner summons
Skeletons can regenerate; they hit hard instead if they're at full health
Will-o'-the-Wisp is hard to hit

Minor bosses
Ambush! forces you to face two regular monsters
Werewolf Lord counters when the action card is yellow, and I'm considering downgrading him to regular monster status
Myconids spew out spores, which can explode or combine into a new Myconid
Witch gives out foul curses

Major bosses
Stheno petrifies your dudes
Lich has a zombie army
Sorceress comes with a Knight that intercepts single-target attacks
Cultist tries to summon evil gods to end the game

Not everything has a gimmick, but everything does have a distinct feel, which I'm trying to preserve. Right now, a variant of your idea is on the Cultist. I could split it out, taking it off him to create a new monster, but I'm reluctant to compromise one of the big bosses.

Since I'm thinking about shuffling the Werewolf down to a regular monster, I can take any level of enemy here as long as it doesn't overshadow our major bosses.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:13 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
At this point, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel
Now it's JBear's time to shine!

Alright, let's throw another thing at this wall:

Assassin: Low health, but draws two action cards and uses the highest to deal X (or maybe even 2X; not sure how things are balanced) single-target damage to the healthiest hero.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:40 AM
Yes, let's feast!

I like that idea. I am going to tweak it slightly, but that's good enough to fit.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:44 AM
disguised king of surfing

For another dumb idea, a monster which takes no damage from attacks that would deal less than X damage?

EDIT: or even possibly reflecting that damage
Old 12-07-2017, 08:47 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
For another dumb idea, a monster which takes no damage from attacks that would deal less than X damage?

EDIT: or even possibly reflecting that damage
The nice thing there is that this mechanic could probably be standardized with a keyword (ABSORB X or REFLECT X).
Old 12-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Here's the last monster design in the game. Inspired by JBear. This is an encounter that can quickly get out of control. If you've been taking a "slow and steady" approach, using your Paladin or Bard for damage mitigation, you will need to shift gears for this one.

Stacking action cards is not only very thematic for this enemy, but it also provides a new strategic dimension where you have to choose which attack is giving you the most trouble, and that's going to depend heavily on the order in which those cards appear.

This is a minor boss card. On the reverse side of the minor bosses, you'll find the major bosses, and both sides of a boss have the same ability. Those abilities are available to two or three of your heroes, so in a two-player game, you're guaranteed to have that option. If not, you can keep the card as a wild attack card, playing it in any future battle to give you exactly the card you need.

Now that I've pinned down the last of the cards, I'm very close to having this in a playable form. Please look forward to it!
Old 12-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Hi hello this game is ready to be played.

So, unfortunately, as far as I can tell, TTS doesn't play super nice with the sort of "tuck this card under that card" thing the game has going on. If someone knows of a setting to make it more amenable to that, it'd be great to know.

Other than that, I'm pleased with how the game turned out. My first full-game test run was a little easier than I'd hoped, but that could very well be because I got the Cursed Shield on my Paladin right out of the gate. Cursed Shield might could need some tweaking.

If you are down to play the game while I watch, please add "megapants" on Steam and let me know when you're available. I can make myself available tonight (starting from 3 hours from now), tomorrow, or Saturday.

Here are the rules. I haven't yet written the "here is how to read the hero ability box" section, but everything else is there. You should read them before you play, eh.

For everyone else: I don't have the PnP files ready to go yet. I do have the TTS assets, which I will make available upon request, and I will get the printables ready in the next few days.

Reminder: If you contribute to this game in any way, please let me know under what name I can credit you.

Last edited by Mogri; 12-07-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Your link is a bit squirrely there, chief. This should work better.

Anyway, I'm free tonight, but not tomorrow or Saturday.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Yes, let's feast!

I copied the share link. Blame Google.

I have to kick the kids into bed. Hit me up in an hour?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:38 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Will do!

Also: “non-performance anxiety” A+, would read again.

BTW, any thought to including a score guide of some nature? Just a vague indicator as to what a "good" score looks like, if nothing else. That was always my favourite part of Hanabi's instructions.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:29 PM
Yes, let's feast!

That's a good idea, even if scoring isn't really the point of the game.

Anyway, for the curious: JBear conquered the dungeon, despite numerous exploding treasures, a pit trap that dumped him into a guard patrol, and some extremely overactive fungus. His Warrior carried the day with some help from the Paladin, and the poor Mage never learned a single ability.

I do think I need to bump the difficulty up just a bit, but for the most part, I'm extremely pleased with how the game has turned out.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:34 PM

you should yell at me sometime tomorrow (presumably it's too late tonight) and i can playtest it (if jbear is also around, we can do the two-player form)
Old 12-08-2017, 07:38 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
I do think I need to bump the difficulty up just a bit, but for the most part, I'm extremely pleased with how the game has turned out.
Yeah, I was thinking that it could possibly stand to be a bit more difficult too, but I was going to reserve that judgement until trying a harder difficulty/different team comp.

Anyway, this game is super fun, guys! Like, legit fun, not blowing-smoke-up-Mogri's-ass fun! I am looking forward to playing it again.

I was even thinking about it while lying in bed last night (on that note, I was brainstorming what design space would be left for heroes, and I think an Alchemist whose powers were devoted to transmuting the rank/colour of other cards could be cool).

Quote:
you should yell at me sometime tomorrow (presumably it's too late tonight) and i can playtest it (if jbear is also around, we can do the two-player form)
I'm unfortunately busy tonight* (playing this instead), but I would definitely be down to try the two-player game at some point, and said as much to Mogri after I was done. If I play with turtle, then he can use his young-person leet-gamer skillz to manipulate cards with tabletop. I am apparently too much of an old-person scrub to move cards around in TTS without hilarious hi-jinks. >_<

* - Just to throw it out there, I guess if you're both free late tonight after I get home, like say midnight my time, which is 11PM EST, we might be able to make it work (I never go to bed at a decent hour anyway).
Old 12-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Sweeping changes time! The most notable is Cursed Shield, which previously gave a blanket 1 damage reduction in exchange for being unable to receive rank 5 cards. Now, it gives 1 damage reduction if the hero has a card of the same suit as the action card, but it prevents the hero from receiving cards of the same rank as the action card. It's still really good, but it's no longer free.

The Bard is getting some minor buffs, many enemies hit harder, the Warrior is getting slightly nerfed (notably, Power Attack's cost goes from R? RX to R5 RX), Will-o'-the-Wisp is harder to hit, and, finally, wild attack cards are back to being single-use; they're too good at two uses.

I can make myself available most any time today, turtle, so let me know what works for you.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:16 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I'm not sure about the Cursed Shield change. I'm not even clear that it's worse, but it's at least more interesting, which is good! I guess making the penalty less severe in exchange for reducing the utility is fine. I would probably still elect to take it, anyway.

Quote:
Power Attack's cost goes from R? RX to R5 RX
:_(

This seems entirely reasonable, and Warrior could absolutely stand to be nerfed, but still... :_(
Old 12-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Yes, let's feast!

I mean, you were pretty consistently dealing 10 damage off of it. You still can, even if it's quite a bit harder, but even 8 damage in a single round is supposed to be really good. Power Attack appearing on an event encounter means you won't usually get the opportunity to pick it up, so I could maybe be convinced to change it to R1 RX or R3 RX.

If the game's got to have really good abilities, though, I would prefer them to be subtly really good, like Bless, or else obviously strong but nearly unattainable, like Smite. (There are workarounds for unattainable, of course, but the appeal of a theoretical 18-damage attack is undeniable, so I love that it exists.)
Old 12-08-2017, 10:50 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
I mean, you were pretty consistently dealing 10 damage off of it.
Right! Thus: :_(

(And yes, not only could a person still theoretically use it to hit for 10 damage, but my deck in particular could do so and, I think, would have had a couple of opportunities to. This change is good. That I was essentially building around powered-up Raging Blow only to elect to use Power Attack instead most of the time probably suggests a problem.)
Old 12-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Take solace in the fact that Raging Blow continues unabated. I talked about The Dream of an 18-damage Smite, but Raging Blow can easily top that in the hands of an extremely motivated player.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Take solace in the fact that Raging Blow continues unabated. I talked about The Dream of an 18-damage Smite, but Raging Blow can easily top that in the hands of an extremely motivated player.
You're too quick for me! Note that I edited in some more to my previous post, relating to Raging Blow.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Oh, and just for anyone else reading along, note that Raging Blow gets more powerful as the Warrior gets more wounded. Essentially, this game supports a Danger Mario build.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Psst
Quote:
I can make myself available most any time today, turtle, so let me know what works for you.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Hmm, either around an hour from now, or three hours when JBear is available, or even just tomorrow when I don't do the stupid thing and stay awake for ~30 hours (don't worry, I've gone to sleep already; just woke up).
Old 12-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Any of the above should work for me.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:14 PM

In that case, we can start now-ish*, and if we're done around the time JBear's open, we can just do a second game that's two-player? I'm not sure how long the runtime of this is supposed to be.

*I looked for that Steam name you mentioned and couldn't find it, so I just went to JBear's friends list and sent an invite to 'Mogri'. I'm assuming that's the right account, at least.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Yes, let's feast!

JBear: we will probably be finishing up our game soon if you're still interested in trying the two-player.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:50 PM

A+ card game, would cheer-haste-rain of arrows again and again and again and again and again and again and again
Old 12-09-2017, 12:03 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
If the game's got to have really good abilities, though, I would prefer them to be subtly really good, like Cheer and Haste, or else obviously strong but nearly unattainable, like Rain of Arrows. (There are workarounds for unattainable, such as Cheer and Haste.)
Old 12-09-2017, 12:18 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
A+ card game, would be turtle's cheerleader again and again and again and again and again
Old 12-09-2017, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I was even thinking about it while lying in bed last night (on that note, I was brainstorming what design space would be left for heroes, and I think an Alchemist whose powers were devoted to transmuting the rank/colour of other cards could be cool).
I thought about this a bit and came up with a possible ability for them.

Quote:
[placeholder name]
Cost: Any card
Effect: Pick one hero. That hero may treat any cards assigned to them* as the same suit of this card.

*presumably "this turn" would be assumed, but it can be added for clarity
Maybe consider it for the expansion later :P