The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-15-2019, 09:43 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
I'm pretty sure Dracula meant to vote for a different boss here, but he wrote down 'Great Evil King Poko Poko' and I'm not changing it now.
Yyyyyeah, I did in fact mean for my vote to go for Poko Poko (so you interpreted it correctly), and then when I went to write about it I somehow forgot that Poko Poko was the final boss and not the plaque goblin one. I have absolutely no excuse for this - when I got TwinBee 3 last year I sat down to test it and ended up finishing it twice. I have the manual with the boss names and everything!

Anyway both bosses ended up being discussed on the list so all is well.

I really, really need to replay FFIX.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:44 PM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

Oh yeah, that Gunstar boss is awesome.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:58 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default #29

Yellow Devil - Mega Man

84 Points

Pause Trick: Daikaiju, JBear, Johnny Unusual, Mogri

Yellow Devil is a recurring boss enemy in the Mega Man series and its spin-offs. It was first encountered in the original Mega Man as a guardian of Dr. Wily's fortress, and is one of the most notoriously difficult bosses of the NES era.

The Devil works by breaking himself apart into small chucks which move back and forth across the room in a certain pattern, which Mega Man must learn to dodge while the devil slowly reforms itself into his true form, at which point it will have a brief window of vulnerability where Mega Man and the devil may exchange fire. The Devil does a very large amount of damage if Mega Man contacts him, meaning the player cannot make many mistakes. However, a famous glitch exploiting the game's 'pause' button makes defeating the boss trivial.

While undoubtedly a cool visual effect, the Devil has been criticized as a frustratingly-designed enemy, as the boss spends the majority of the fight invulnerable and can only be damaged in brief windows, testing more the player's patience and ability to memorize patterns than anything else. Despite this, the Yellow Devil's popularity has endured, and remixes of the boss have turned up frequently in Mega Man titles over the years, making it without a doubt one of the most iconic bosses in history.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-16-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:56 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default #28

The Dragonlord - Dragon Quest

'Thou art a fool!'

85 Points

Took the scenic route: Dracula, Ixo, ozacrot, Torzelbaum

The Dragonlord is the primary villain and final boss of Dragon Quest, also called Dragon Warrior. The game casts you as a hero, descended from a previous hero named Erdrick, who is sent on a quest to vanquish the Dragonlord; a quest that largely revolves around killing slimes and taking the longest possible route to his destination. He does rescue a princess along the way, because why not?

The Dragonlord waits patiently for the hero in his castle, apparently already contentedly ruling most of the known world, and offers the hero half of the world if he joins forces with him. You can accept his offer, but no real hero would do that. After vanquishing the Dragonlord's humanoid form, he reveals his true form, a fierce dragon, and the final battle begins.

Dragon Quest was one of the earliest turn-based RPGs, and set a lot of the standards for what would come after, and this iconic battle helped set the stage for many of the climactic encounters that would come to define the entire genre; a one-on-one duel between hero and villain, a final boss with multiple forms, and even an alternate 'bad ending' by joining forces with the villain. While it appears that the Dragonlord will honor his agreement with the hero, spin-off games expand on the idea that the fiend is still just duping you all along.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:02 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Yellow Devil - Mega Man

While undoubtedly a cool visual effect,
Good enough for me! Yellow Devil is a pretty neat baddie in the game series. Mega Man bosses tend to have good looks but none of the Robot Masters stand out as individuals on the boss fight front. Yellow Devil has a really cool mechanic and while he is tough (minus pause trick), it makes for an interesting boss experience.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:34 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

I want to emphasize that I actually really enjoy Yellow Devil mechanically. It's super rewarding to learn the pattern and get that first win (without pause shenanigans). I enjoy most of the Devil fights throughout the series (and almost voted for MM9's version instead), but I had to go with the the classic.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:21 AM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

While I did not vote for the last two, they are very deserving to be on this list. I am most familiar with Mega Man 3's Yellow Devil battle (I've probably squared off with that version 50+ times), and it's a highlight in that game as well. And Dragonlord is an iconic final boss in the medium, as noted in the article.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:53 AM
Not Constantinople

Yellow Devil might have made my list if I had thought of it. Dragon Lord wouldn't have, but it deserves to be on this one. Both such important, iconic fights.

I think I've only had one place so far.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:24 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Two fantastic things about the Dragonlord: 1) the expression his humanoid form wears is just :| 2) the dragon form visually spitting flame directly at the hero's HP total even as it steps forward and intrudes upon the scrolling message window, interacting and overtaking the game's very interface. It's so startling and disruptive for a game that's often written off as cutely antiquated.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Yellow Devil is very cool, very iconic, and, unfortunately, very tedious. It's not fun to face a boss who's invincible for 90% of the battle.

I voted for it because man is it cool, but also because it informed Mega Man boss design for the next 30 years, inspiring a lot of better bosses along the way.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:01 AM
King Of Space-Time

It took me a month to beat MM1 due to the roadblock that was The Rock Monster/aka Yellow Devil. After that I powered through the rest of the fortress, cause I damn well wasn't going to deal with that again, if I had a chance.

Finally made it onto the board!
Old 03-16-2019, 11:21 AM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

What's that? I can't hear you over the sounds of pausing and unpausing the game.

(The Yellow Devil is fine, if tedious, but Wily 1 is an unfair bullshit nightmare stage of hell worse than even Ice Man so I have no shame in doing this.)
Old 03-16-2019, 11:43 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

I had Dragonlord at #24. As others have said he is a very iconic enemy from a game which established the basics of JRPGs. But there have been a lot of JRPGs and other games released since then with a lot of boss fights that I liked more - but not enough of them to knock the Dragonlord completely off my list.

Quote:
He does rescue a princess along the way, because
thou must

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
Two fantastic things about the Dragonlord: 1) the expression his humanoid form wears is just :| 2) the dragon form visually spitting flame directly at the hero's HP total
I never noticed that thing about where the dragon form is "aiming" its fire. That's pretty neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
even as it steps forward and intrudes upon the scrolling message window, interacting and overtaking the game's very interface. It's so startling and disruptive for a game that's often written off as cutely antiquated.
And it does make it so that it seems like the boss is so much more than any regular enemy. Which is probably why it seemed to become a series tradition after that (at least for the NES / Famicom games).

Quote:
The Dragonlord [...] offers the hero half of the world if he joins forces with him. You can accept his offer, but no real hero would do that.
In my blurb I said that I think this is where the "fight" with the Dragonlord actually begins - instead of in the battle screen. Also, this boss encounter taught me a valuable lesson - to always say no whenever a final villain in a video game offers you anything with a yes/no prompt.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:59 AM
Penalty for being bard

Default #27

Papyrus - Undertale

'OH NO! YOU'RE MEETING ALL MY STANDARDS!'

86 Points

Blue now: Bulgakov, Dracula, JBear

Papyrus is a friendly, nerdy skeleton from Undertale who talks in all-caps but is somehow not BEAT (I think.) He is often found in the company of his fellow skelebro, Sans. Papyrus takes himself very seriously and seems somewhat self-conscious of his dorky interests but above all aspires to become a member of the Royal Guard, believing that this will help him to make friends and be popular. In order to prove himself, he sets out to catch a human, which brings him into conflict with the player. But Undertale allows for other ways to face your opponents besides violence.

Papyrus' battle starts off as a complete joke but quickly becomes more serious after he uses his 'Blue Attack' which turns the player blue, turning the bullet-dodging mechanic the player has used throughout the game to avoid attacks into a platforming segment. This leads to some tense moments and increasingly comical swerves as he pulls out his more elaborate attack patterns.

You can kill Papyrus in combat if you're a monster, but you can also defeat Papyrus by flirting with him, sending him into such a fit of nervous and comical hysterics that it leads to his inevitable defeat. It really needs to be seen to be believed. I won't question the ethics of a human child flirting with a skeleman, though after the battle you can agree to just be friends.

Despite his clownish mannerisms there is a lot to suggest that Papyrus is actually one of the stronger monsters in the underworld, and that he is probably not taking his fight with you all that seriously. He is above all other things a good-natured person who believes the best of people, and thus never seems to fight with the intention to kill.

[/QUOTE]
Old 03-16-2019, 12:04 PM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

Quote:
Papyrus is a friendly, nerdy skeleton from Undertale who talks in all-caps but is somehow not BEAT* (I think.)
*Citation Needed
Old 03-16-2019, 12:04 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Interesting fact, it is impossible for me not to hear all of Papyrus' dialogue in Rhys Darbys voice.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:49 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default #26

]
GLaDOS - Portal

'Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive.'

88 Points

Still Alive: Issun, Johnny Unusual, Positronic Brain, WildcatSF

GLaDOS (Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System) is a recurring character and the antagonist of the Portal series of games. She is an AI, and primarily responsible for the maintenance and management of all testing facilities at the Aperture Science computer-aided Enrichment Center. At first, she appears only to be a voice guiding the player through a series of obstacle courses, driving them forward with promises of cake and the occasional witty or passive-aggressive comment, but throughout the game she begins to show signs of being more sinister, and eventually attempts to outright kill the player several times.

GLaDOS is as much a part of Portal's success as the mind-bending physics puzzles, with her incredibly incisive commentary and and absurd mannerisms giving the series a wonderfully dystopian and comical tone, and she comes to develop a relationship with the player, and the player character Chell. GLaDOS is obsessed with science and testing, but her morality programming is faulty, resulting in her initiating some particularly insane tests such as flooding the enrichment center with neurotoxin to observe the results.

This is the situation the player finds themself in at the end of the game after accidentally incinerating the morality core that was added to GLaDOS to prevent her from murdering the entire facility. At this point, GLaDOS' computerized voice becomes more sultry and threatening, and she more or less admits that she has become invested in killing you, specifically. The player must race the clock and use their Portal gun to send rockets fired by sentry turrets back at GLaDOS in order to damage more of her behavior modules until they find one that is necessary for her operation. With each destroyed core, GLaDOS becomes more and more unhinged, as does her devilish commentary, until the player finally puts an end to her machinations.

Portal was initially created as a side-game to the Half Life series, but the game proved so popular that not only did Portal get a full-sized sequel but it catapulted GLaDOS to being one of the most famous villains in all of gaming.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Not Constantinople

I voted for a different Undertale battle. Maybe I should have had Papyrus. Huh

The fight with GLaDOS is just something else. Like the rest of the game there is no dead weight. Just running around trying to figure it put while she taunts you relentlessly.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:02 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default #25

Baby Bowser - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

'MINE! MINE!'

91 Points

Babysitters: Beta Metroid, Dracula, Solitayre

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is a lot of things. Ir is both a sequel to Super Mario World, a prequel to the entire Super Mario franchise, and a pilot vehicle for launching Yoshi's own game franchise. It is also, in my opinion, possibly the best game on the SNES.

The game is set before any previous Mario game, and follows a team of Yoshis seeking to re-unite the infant Mario Bros, who were separated by the Magikoopa Kamek, who foresaw that the bros would be nothing but a hassle for the Koopa Clan in the future. That's about it for the game's plot, and Kamek is presented as the primary villain, appearing every few levels to taunt Yoshi and power-up the local boss with his magic. It's not apparent that Bowser will appear in the game at all, until you reach King Bowser's Castle, where he makes a surprise last-minute entrance and proceeds to steal the show- by waking up from his nap early, because Bowser too is a baby, and a bratty one at that.

Bowser is the first character to appear on this list more than once, and while I mentioned earlier that he hasn't changed much in the past 34 years, it doesn't surprise me that a fight where he broke out of his mold was the one that got people's attention. While the first phase of the Bowser fight sees Bowser use his usual jumping and stomping tactics, the second fight is unlike any other battle with Bowser; save those that directly tried to recapture the atmosphere of this masterful fight.

Bowser, transformed by Kamek's magic, rises in the distance menacingly, now kaiju-sized, and proceeds to start wailing like a baby. From there, the player must master Yoshi's egg-throwing mechanic in a whole new dimension and keep this Bowserzilla at a distance, for if he reaches the foreground he will crush the player instantly. The graphics give a real sense of scale and menace to Bowser that has never really been topped since, which is amusing since he is literally a giant toddler in this scene.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:13 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default Interlude

Interlude
Mecha Dragon - Mega Man 2

This guy almost made the list but fell just a couple points short of ranking. I'd say the Mecha Dragon's appearance probably ranks up there in the overall top moments of gaming. No cutscene, no grandeur, no nothing. Just BAM! Giant dragon chasing you! Anybody who claims they didn't die the first time this guy appears is a liar.

Mecha Dragon is the boss of Wily Stage 1 in Mega Man 2 and is notable for having a brief chase sequence before throwing down with the Blue Bomber. He may look mechanical, but he is actually a hydrogen-filled dirigible, which allows it to both fly and to breathe fire. This design decision makes him vulnerable to the Atomic Fire weapon, although the Quick Boomerang also makes short work of him.

Also, I don't know about you guys but I think he's pretty adorable. I want a Mecha Dragon.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:17 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

And his level has, hands down, my favorite MM track of all time.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:38 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Anybody who claims they didn't die the first time this guy appears is a liar.
I die most times he appears! The game starts lagging really badly in a precision platforming section, and then the fight starts, and knockback lands you in the pit the first time the thing hits you.

Wily stages were a mistake.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:42 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default Bonus Art

Bonus Art!

Papyrus

Art by Pedro Nunez

Baby Bowser

Art by AraghenXD
Old 03-16-2019, 05:42 PM

Yoshi's Island is everything!
Old 03-16-2019, 06:52 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Papyrus is really emblematic of what makes Undertale so great, as it is a fun fight to play, it is very clever and engaging mechanically, it is uproariously funny, and yet another great example of the game's themes and narrative working in concert with its mechanics. The game more or less tells you what to expect but you're still not prepared for it when it happens.

I was bummed that I couldn't find room on my own list for the Mecha Dragon, so I'm happy to see him get a mention. I don't think anyone forgets their first time setting foot into that area.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:59 PM
Not Constantinople

I voted for Mecha Dragon. We really hadn't seen anything that impressive in 1989/1990, and for me it's the ultimate Mega Man boss fight: intimidating, adrenaline pumping, and fun.

Baby Bowser's a good choice, but I always have trouble aiming those damn eggs.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:26 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Don't think I'm trash talking the GLaDOS fight when I say it was low on my list because I don't play as many video games as a lot of people here. I think mechanically, it is fine, but as most of Portal is a puzzle shooter, the final puzzle pretty simple.

What makes it good, however, is that it continues the fun humour that the Internet seems hellbent on trying to ruin through parroting (this also might be while I'm a bit defensive about it). But also, you finally get to face and fight the villain who has been tormenting and mocking you through the entirety of the game. And while it is an easier puzzle, it is still quite fun and feels almost more like a reward for being the much more challenging stuff in earlier in the game. And, again, it is funny. That counts for a lot, I think.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:56 PM
Cookie Clicker Champion

Quote:
Papyrus - Undertale

'OH NO! YOU'RE MEETING ALL MY STANDARDS!'
This was not actually the Papyrus boss fight I was intending to vote for, but I like this one too!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:11 PM
Still writing out 2018.

Oh man I forgot to vote for Glados.

*goes to stand in the corner*
Old 03-17-2019, 06:20 AM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

GLaDOS is a fantastic boss, one that Valve clearly took a lot of time to properly design and implement. She is essentially the narrative of Portal, and through excellent writing and voice work via Ellen McLain she helped make the revolutionary gameplay mechanics bloom into something even more sensational. Sure, the overwhelming success of the above led to a deluge of memes that diluted the positivity Valve's team imbued the game with, and I can understand people being tired of the entire enterprise behind GLaDOS. But for me, GLaDOS is one of the finest antagonists in any game, and her debut is a highlight of the medium in my book.

Tags
boss rush , bosses , bruce springsteen , hey boss , i dropped your list boss , like a boss , tony danza , top 50 countdown , who's the boss?