The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-11-2019, 07:52 PM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Ridley is awesome and worth a spot here but, as noted earlier, I kept my picks to one per franchise and I chose another Metroid baddie for mine. Same with Stallord, the best boss in Twilight Princess. Happy to see them pop up though, as both are wonderful additions to their series!
Old 03-11-2019, 07:59 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
most of my selections weren't based on challenge as much as presence
After making my list and sending in my blurbs I realized that "has great boss music*" was a common thing for many of my picks.

*Boss boss music, if you prefer.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Penalty for being bard

Pronouns: He/Him
Default #39

Evil King Poko Poko - Twinbee III: Evil King Poko Poko/ Poko Poko Daimaō

66 Points

Shoot'em Up: Dracula, Loki

I'm pretty sure Dracula meant to vote for a different boss here, but he wrote down 'Great Evil King Poko Poko' and I'm not changing it now.

Twinbee is a series of shoot 'em up games originating on the Famicom, developed by Konami, which also developed the Gradius series of shooters back when they still made video games. But unlike Gradius, which has a more serious presentation and storyline, Twinbee is focused on being cute as hell. So cute, in fact, that I've seen the term 'cute 'em up' applied to it. The level of difficulty is much lower than a game like Gradius as well. Twinbee was mostly unknown to western audiences until relatively recently as few of the games saw official releases outside Japan. This makes looking up information about this series a bit difficult, so I apologize for any errors.

Twinbee III pits the heroes, Twinbee and Winbee, against Poko Poko, who bears the impressive title of Daimaou which, according to a few seconds of googling, is variously translated as 'Evil King' or 'Great Demon Lord'. Based on the name, you might expect something rather imposing. Instead, you get an angry looking tree with a tire swing and a frowny-face boulder.

The Twinbee series is pretty silly.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-12-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Penalty for being bard

Default #38

Beauvoir - NieR: Automata

'Beautiful... Beautiful... I must be beautiful!'

67 Points

Programmed to feel pain: Issun, Thraeg, ozacrot

Beauvoir, also called Simone, is a Goliath-class robotic threat in NieR: Automata, named for philosopher Simone de Beauvoir. Automata is set in the far future of the NieR and Drakengard universe, where robots now rule most of the Earth, and humanity deploys highly advanced, intelligent, and self-aware androids to fight for them in a proxy war, including protagonists 2B (Battle class) and 9S (Scanner class). During their missions, 2B and 9S discover a number of machines acting strangely, seemingly no longer following their original programming but developing ambitions and desires of their own.

One such machine is Beauvoir, a robot who wants to be beautiful. She has decided that the only way to become beautiful is to adorn herself was as many decorations as possible, and has begun harvesting and dismantling other machines for parts to augment herself. She now has the appearance of a grandiose opera singer, adorning herself with the corpses of other machines like macabre jewelry.

Seeing as 2B and 9S are pretty much the two hottest robots in the universe, Beauvoir is naturally quite interested in taking their parts for herself, and the duo are forced into an intense battle where they must defend themselves from Beauvoir's onslaught, as she has become quite adept at destroying other robots, and they must contend with her barrages of energy attacks and the 'zombie' machines that have come under her thrall, all while also fending off hacking attempts as Beauvoir attempts to corrupt and subvert their systems.

If playing the game from 9S's point of view, he can gain insight into Beauvoir's motives by hacking her, and learns that she had fallen in love with another machine, and thought she could make him love her by becoming beautiful. Thus, 9S, an intelligence robot, begins to be troubled by his encounters with the machines in a way that 2B, a literal killing machine, is not. She is not given the tools to develop empathy for her opponents, and this may be by design.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-12-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:58 AM
Not Constantinople

Beauvoir is an absolute banger of a fight mechanically, aesthetically and emotionally. I'm very happy it made it on here.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Penalty for being bard

Default #37

The 1st Colossus, Valus - Shadow of the Colossus

'Hold up they sword to reflect light onto the colossus. It's vitals shall be revealed...'

67 Points

Hit its weakpoint for massive damage: FelixSH, JohnnyUnusual, ozacrot

Valus is the 1st Colossus to appear in Shadow of the Colossus, not to be confused with Malus, who is the last colossus, but the first Colossus to appear on this list, but was not the last. Not that I got confused or anything. Shut up.

Valus supposedly resembles a great bull with a club, and was nicknamed the minotaur during development. I think he looks more like an ape, myself. Valus spends his days just chilling peacefully in a forbidden valley when some kid with a sword walks up and starts stabbing him to death. What kind of jerk would do that? As the first Colossus in the game, Valus is not particularly dangerous, but is quite a sight as he stomps past you for the first time, giving the player a glimpse of just how enormous these creatures are. Valus clocks in at an impressive 21 Meters in height, but is still one of the smallest Colossi in the grand scheme of things.

Valus is a fairly simple opponent to defeat, but gives the player a taste of the climbing and weak point mechanics that will become necessary to face the other, more powerful Colossi later in the game.

By the way, don't the Colossi just have some great music to accompany them? Composer Kou Otani really went the extra mile with this soundtrack, and deserves all the accolades that have been given over the years. Check these out if you've never listened before.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-12-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

That's quite a read on the leads of Automata.

The best case for Beauvoir is her theme, as posted above. Worth hearing a live rendition of, as it highlights that Automata's strongest vocal material often isn't defined by solo performers anymore as Nicole and Evans as a duet kill it here.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Penalty for being bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
That's quite a read on the leads of Automata.
I don't have time to play every game.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:43 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default #36

Spoilers for Undertale

Sans - Undertale

'You feel like you're going to have a bad time.'

68 Points

Monsters: FelixSH, JBear

Sans is a cool, chill skeleton bro from Undertale, Toby Fox's indie wonder that took the internet by storm in 2015. In most playthroughs of the game, Sans is an ally to the player and wants what's best for them. However, Undertale allows the player to make friends with creatures they meet or kill them for experience, and the story and characters strongly encourage the former over the latter. Kill too many creatures, in what fans call a 'Genocide Run,' and Sans will challenge the player at the end of the game in an attempt to protect the world from their all-consuming bloodlust, as they have become powerful and dangerous enough to threaten the entire world.

This would seem to pose a serious challenge to Sans, who is pretty laid back and does not seem to be a warrior by any means. He has only a single HP and extremely low combat stats. Meanwhile, a player who meets Sans has acquired enough experience to kill almost any foe in a single hit, and even the power of friendship was not enough to stop them. However, Sans has one advantage over the other characters in Undertale, in that he seems to possess medium awareness; he knows he's in a video game, and in video games, you can cheat.

And cheat he does. Sans is generally considered the hardest battle in Undertale. The fight with Sans is not fair. He ignores the player's attempts to hit him, inserts frame skips into his attacks and can attack you while you're looking at your menu. And despite his low apparent stats, his attacks are outrageous. From his infamously brutal opening salvo to re-creating level 3 from Battletoads, Sans is truly throwing everything he has at the player in a final attempt to stop them before they wreak havoc on the entire world. The game explains Sans' ability to harm you as 'karma,' that you are literally paying for your sins. This implies Sans might be more than he appears.

At the climax of the battle, Sans unleashes his 'Special Attack,' which is to simply refuse to take his turn in a turn-based RPG, effectively locking the gamestate and forcing the player to turn the game off, thus ending their reign of terror.

A recurring theme in Undertale is Determination, which the game literally treats like a superpower; if you believe hard enough, you can do it. But Sans throws this back in your face too, calling it nothing more than stubbornness. And it is only through unrelenting stubbornness that a player can finally defeat Sans, if only because it's a thing you should be able to do because it's there and you want to see what happens.

You monster.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-14-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:07 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

This was my #1. Undertale is literally like 50% amazing boss fights by volume, but this one is the cream of the crop. Just incredibly clever and punishingly brutal to complete and soul-crushing and sad and just... flat-out amazing in every way, and all the more so for being the one that the smallest % of Undertale players are likely to personally experience, and ever fewer are likely to beat.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:29 PM
Not Constantinople

I've never experienced that boss. I've watched others, but I could never get past the other hard boss in that run. I'm kind of glad I couldn't TBH.

Valus is a great introduction to SotC's gameplay, but I'd have a hard time ranking it highly myself. Still, I'm glad it made it.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:52 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I should probably get around to playing Undertale.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I should probably get around to playing Undertale.
As someone who only recently played it for the first time himself, I highly recommend it!
Old 03-12-2019, 08:05 PM
Penalty for being bard

The hype storm around Undertale upon release initially turned me off of it, but now that it's died down a little I might have to take a look at it myself.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:28 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they
Default Flowey was enough, thank you.

I never fought Sans.

Why would I want to?

Y'all are monsters.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:54 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

I somehow forgot about Undertale! Good pick!
Old 03-12-2019, 10:19 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default #35

The Phantom Train - Final Fantasy VI

'We all have to go sometime...'

68 Points

Ghostbusters: Kirin, Thraeg, Torzelbaum

The Phantom Train, also known as GhostTrain or DoomTrain, is both a boss and a dungeon in Final Fantasy VI, encountered during Sabin's scenario. After witnessing an imperial assault on the Kingdom of Doma, Sabin and his new allies Cyan and Shadow stumble upon a mysterious train in the woods. Unbeknownst to them, it is the Phantom Train, which carries all souls to the afterlife, that has come to collect the dead of Doma.

The heroes must battle their way through the train, which is filled with all manner of specters; some friendly, many hostile. The Phantom Train is one of the odder locations in FF6, having only tenuous relation to the plot and one of the only times in the entire game where the heroes end up in some location by chance that they must fight their way through. Its is thematically and structurally different from any other area of the game, feeling much more like a situation out of Final Fantasy V than anything else that happens in this game, and I'm not sure why they felt the need to pad out Sabin's scenario (which is already the longest by far) by including it, but I'm glad its there, and there are few other dungeons like it in the series.

Reaching the locomotive of the Phantom Train triggers one of FF6's coolest and most wonderfully absurd boss battles as your heroes literally battle the train while at the same time fleeing from it. Being a ghost, the Phantom Train can be killed by a single Phoenix Down, but what the fight has come to be known for is that one of Sabin's 'Blitzes', or martial arts techniques, includes Suplex, which allows him to literally Suplex a train.

The entire Phantom Train scenario vacillates quickly through comedy, action, and even minor horror elements, and the finale with battling the train itself is the perfect conclusion, but the scene's denouncement is one of the bigger gut punches in Final Fantasy history as Cyan is forced to watch his dead wife and son ride off into the Afterlife without him.

The Phantom Train was cool enough to return in Final Fantasy VIII as a Guardian Force called DoomTrain, and it even got a cameo in final Fantasy IV: The After Years.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-12-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:56 PM
Not Constantinople

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
The hype storm around Undertale upon release initially turned me off of it, but now that it's died down a little I might have to take a look at it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Probably the only video game really worth playing.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:49 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Iím nearly finished my first play through of Undertale and simply canít comprehend the means by which someone would fight Sans.

Itís a Mega Man X Hadouken level of well disguised video game secret!
Old 03-13-2019, 06:13 AM
Funko Superfan

Hot dang! I go on vacation for a few days and already we're at #35?! Impressive pace, Sol! Uh... opinions incoming I guess...

*doesn't post opinions*

**scampers away**
Old 03-13-2019, 07:00 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Torzelbaum voted for the Ghost Train. Quelle surprise. It'd be like if I voted for my house.

Also, Issun, I invite you to consider that responding to a complaint about hype with more hyperbole is perhaps not the best tack. Speaking as someone who also avoided playing Undertale for years in part because of how hard this forum pushed it on me (although mostly because I felt like Talking Time and the rest of the internet had irretrievably spoiled it for me), you're not helping. Being a person who hadn't played Undertale back when it seemed like half of the people on TT had Undertale avatars next to their name was exhausting.

ETA: Also, I feel compelled to note that I did not actually battle the boss in question in Undertale itself, because I am not in fact a monster. The game asked me to stop after my second play-through and I listened. However, I've watched video of the boss in question (who I am continuing to refuse to name even though some others decided not to respect the spoiler) and managed to kind of experience it for myself via the Bad Time Simulator, which folks who are concerned about spoilers should obviously not click or inspect the URL of.

Last edited by JBear; 03-13-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:49 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
managed to kind of experience it for myself via the Bad Time Simulator, which folks who are concerned about spoilers should obviously not click or inspect the URL of.
Never knew about this! Awesome! Now to see if I can do it!

Attacks survived so far: 1
Old 03-13-2019, 10:08 AM
Not Constantinople

Quote:
Also, Issun, I invite you to consider that responding to a complaint about hype with more hyperbole is perhaps not the best tack.
Sorry, that quote came to mind when I read Solitayre's post*, and it being madhair, I assumed that it wasn't meant to be taken at face value, and that most people here know his style well enough to assume same.

As for Phantom Train, it's not one I thought of and probably would not have made my 25, but it's a great entry, nonetheless.

*Why yes I do reread my top 50 thread from time to time why do you ask?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:20 AM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

I absolutely avoided Undertale for like a year because of all the hype around and and I don't think that was a mistake but I did love the game when I did play it.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:28 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Honestly, Iím kind of thinking that being repelled by the hype surrounding Undertale for multiple years is the ideal situation to find yourself in if youíre looking to enjoy the game.

Though, for me, the hype was less of a deterrence than the fact that I can count the number of games I can play and enjoy at length on a pc on one hand. Something about that platform just repels me every time.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
*Why yes I do reread my top 50 thread from time to time why do you ask?
We all do this. I've re-read the board game list like 6 times and it brings me joy every time. I happen to know that Drac has done the same with his list too.

ETA: I also have re-read the snack list thread more than once because that topic was still inspired.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:51 AM
Not Constantinople

I actually ate my way through that list last year (over the course of a month or so). It was an interesting (and tasty) experience!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:08 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I never go back to mine. I talk to my mom all the time. New thoughts and opinions come forth at an astonishing rate! Why would I go back and eat cold gruel when fresh new treasures are always before me.

EDIT: I do like to look at Loki's map though!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Funko Superfan

I tried to reread Top Marios once but then I remembered there's a bad drawing of Bowser in there.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:03 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
We all do this. I've re-read the board game list like 6 times and it brings me joy every time.
Update: 7 times

Tags
boss rush , bosses , bruce springsteen , hey boss , i dropped your list boss , like a boss , tony danza , top 50 countdown , who's the boss?