The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-09-2019, 07:12 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Malus was high on my list. Shadow of the Colossus is basically a series of bosses, many of them cool and not a dud among them, to my memory. Malus is just... epic. Technically, every "level" is a boss and vice versa but Malus is big and also his wardrobe makes him one big level. It's great.

I can see someone seeing Bowser 64 as a boring choice as I remember those fights being relatively simple but man it feels nice to swing him around, doesn't it?
Old 03-09-2019, 07:41 PM
Penalty for being bard

Pronouns: He/Him
Default Interlude

Interlude
Black Waltz #3 - Final Fantasy IX

'I exist only to kill!'

Surprise!

You didn't think I wasn't gonna talk about Black Waltz #3, did you? Of course I am! It's my thread, I can do whatever I want! I'll use these interludes to talk about bosses who didn't make the Top 50 but that I still find interesting or worth talking about.

Black Waltz #3 is a boss in Final Fantasy IX. He is an advanced model of black mage and the most powerful of the three Black Waltz models. When Princess Garnet escapes Alexandria with the aid of Zidane Tribal and friends, Queen Brahne dispatches Black Waltz #1, #2, and #3 to retrieve her, and together this trio serve as the villains of the game's first act.

And what a first act it is. People tend to remember FFIX as a dismal slog of slow battles and failing to steal eighty times in a row, but man, when it was on, it was fucking on. And it was never more on than in the first few hours. Everything from the theater ship's escape from Alexandria, the escape from the Evil Forest, and finally the climactic showdown with #3 aboard an airship, it's all just epic stuff.

Vivi has just had a revelation that black mages like himself are merely lifeless vessels, but when Black Waltz #3 appears and threatens the party, the Black Mages in service to Alexandria move to protect Vivi, who they recognize as one of them. Black Waltz #3 ruthlessly cuts them down, enraging Vivi, and the two proceed to throw down in the ensuing boss battle.

Mechanically, Black Waltz #3 is a fairly standard Final Fantasy boss. He uses magic of above-average power for this point in the game, but otherwise isn't a terribly interesting foe from a gameplay standpoint. What makes the boss fight stand out is Vivi, who proceeds to activate trance mode and blow Black Waltz #3 away with his powerful double black magic ability.

Even after the fight is over, it's not over! The scene finishes off with an intense airship chase and gives Vivi one of the most badass moments in Final Fantasy history! Wow!

Black Waltz #3 also has an undeniably cool design. His appearance of a demonic black mage with black wings is incredibly imposing and intimidating.

Black Waltz #3 is only in the game for about five minutes, and he might be the best part of Final Fantasy IX. He is truly a one-scene wonder.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-10-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:17 PM
Not Constantinople

Zeromus is amazing but there was another FF4 boss I liked even better.

I had the Enchantress at #25 but then had to cut her when I remembered another boss I couldn't leave off.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:07 AM
Meal break

This should be an interesting list - itís such a broad topic Iíll be curious to see what draws in the votes. At least half the stuff on my list I expect to be the only vote for (hoping to be pleasantly surprised).

I was terrible at both Demonís Souls and MGS3, so my memories of those bosses are mostly of frustration, sadly. One of the things I like in a boss fight is when you think you arenít going to make it and then you do, but when that happens will vary hugely from person to person, and if itís just slightly off you end up with the very unpleasant situation of thinking you arenít going to make it and then you donít.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:28 AM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Bowser is an iconic boss and I do love his SM64 appearance (especially the final round with the super dramatic music and lighting!), but I kept bosses who appear multiple times in a series down to one nomination, and there's another I like a lot more.

Enchantress was a contender on my list, but I ultimately removed her in the end. Although I do love the final showdown with Shield Knight fighting alongside Shovel Knight.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:39 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Completely forgot the Black Waltzes.
And also Beatrix.
And Gilgamesh.
And Balio and Sunder from Breath of Fire III.

Giving spotlight to some of the interesting choices that didn't make it is a really nice idea. I'm looking forward to the rest of the list.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:55 AM
Penalty for being bard

Default Bonus Art

Bonus Art!

I'll also be showcasing some cool artwork of some of our favorite bosses here. This includes fan art and art from official sources that you may not have seen before. I will be crediting the artists where possible, but the internet isn't always great about citing sources. Feel free to post your own, too!

Mana Beast shadow Box

Art by Anthony DePalma (He sells these, and more!)

Zeromus

Art by Mister_23

Metal Gear Solid 3

Shovel Knight

Art by Nic
Old 03-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default #44

Necrosaro -Dragon Quest IV

Urrggg...! Can't remember anything! But I know what I need to do! Gawaaa... I must exterminate you all!'

57 Points

Upset that Brickroad never finished his LP: clarice, JBear, Torzelbaum

Necrosaro is the final boss of Dragon Quest IV and its remake. The game follows the course of several groups of heroes each slowly unraveling the mysteries of things going wrong in the world, and of a fated hero destined to arise. Necrosaro is at first only alluded to as a renowned and deadly warrior who the people fear, but as the game goes on we learn that he is much more than that.

Necrosaro, or Psaro the Manslayer as he is called in the remake, is a powerful demon in the form of a handsome swordsman. He is known as the 'Master of Monsters' despite his humanoid appearance. The player eventually learns that Necrosaro is actually somewhat justifiably upset about the way he and others of his kind have been treated by the world, and is particularly incensed by the death of the woman he loved. As a result, Necrosaro swears vengeance upon humanity. The game's remake expands this part of his story substantially.

At the end of the game, Necrosaro undergoes an evolutionary process by drawing on the power of Estark, ruler of the Underworld, and awakens as the ruler of all Evil (did they have an election?) with seemingly little memory of who he used to be. His only desire is to destroy humanity. Initially appearing as a fierce demonic warrior, Necrosaro's form changes several times throughout the fight, losing limbs and growing brand new ones, before finally growing an entire new head as the battle's final phase begins. Effects like an enemy actually transforming mid-battle were still fairly new at the time, and showcased fairly impressive graphical effects for its time. This results in Necrosaro having, effectively, seven separate forms. Even Freeza doesn't have that many! (Yet.)

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-10-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:25 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

I had Necrosaro at #16 and he was also the boss I wrote the most about in my blurb. Solitayre has covered most of what I said but I will comment on one aspect that Solitayre didn't go into detail about - how threatening and tough Necrosaro is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condensed version of my blurb
While facing each of Necrosaro's different forms he continually assaults your party with powerful attacks and dangerous spells and each form has a large amount of health - so the entire battle is a grueling and challenging test of endurance. On top of all of that he also has high resistance to both status effect and damage spells (the latter is kind of annoying and does unfortunately reduce the ability of magic users to contribute to the battle) so you generally have to just slug it out with him with the Fight command. When you combine all of this you get a fitting final boss for the epic story of Dragon Quest 4 and a great feeling of accomplishment when you can defeat him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
This should be an interesting list - itís such a broad topic Iíll be curious to see what draws in the votes. At least half the stuff on my list I expect to be the only vote for (hoping to be pleasantly surprised).
One thing I am interested in seeing overall is what types of bosses and also what types of "placements" will make the list. So far for placements the list has mostly just been final bosses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
I was terrible at both Demonís Souls and MGS3, so my memories of those bosses are mostly of frustration, sadly. One of the things I like in a boss fight is when you think you arenít going to make it and then you do, but when that happens will vary hugely from person to person, and if itís just slightly off you end up with the very unpleasant situation of thinking you arenít going to make it and then you donít.
This is something I was thinking about while making and ordering my list - about what makes a boss fight good and/or memorable. Challenge can be part of that but maybe not in a good way. A boss that is too easy might be boring and forgettable (unless it has something else going for it) and a boss that is too hard could be more frustrating than thrilling for the player. Of course, different people have different thresholds for being frustrated so I imagine that balancing the difficulty of any boss in any game is not an easy task.

Last edited by Torzelbaum; 03-10-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:42 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default #43

Ridley - Super Metroid

58 Points

any%: Issun, Thraeg

Yeah, that's right! Ridley is all the way down here at #43! Has your world turned upside-down yet?

Ridley is one of the major bosses of Super Metroid, but he actually debuted in the original Metroid in 1986, serving as one of the two mini-bosses that needed to be killed to open the final level. He is named after Ridley Scott, the cirector of Alien, and Ridley himself resembles a cross between the Aliens series Xenomorphs and a fire-breathing dragon.

Ridley made his return in Super Metroid and has since established himself as one of Samus Aran's most frequently recurring antagonists, appearing in many games in the series. In order to adapt to the changing times, and changing direction of the Metroid games, Ridley himself has undergone a variety of changes over the years, including a robotic form among others. But he is arguably never on his game quite like he was in Super.

Ridley appears early in the game to kidnap the last Metroid, and awaits Samus for the rest of the game in his lair in Norfair, deep in the labyrinthine planet Zebes. Super Metroid's attention to detail was extremely high, especially for the time, and much of the original Metroid was faithfully and accurately recreated in game. But each of the original game's returning bosses- Ridley, Kraid, and the Mother Brain- all had surprises for Samus, subverting the expectations of those who played the first game.

Ridley's fight is largely a recreation of his original battle in the first Metroid, even taking place over a boiling acid pit, but Ridley's flight abilities mean much of the fight actually takes place in the air above his primary platform, where Samus is at a disadvantage, and must rely on her space Jump and Screw Attack to keep up. Ridley is likely the most dangerous opponent in all of Super Metroid, and players who have not been diligent in searching for energy tanks and Super Missiles are likely in for a hell of a fight. This has made Ridley of particular interest among the massive Super Metroid speed-running community, who have poured an enormous amuont of analysis into Ridley over the years, as defeating him quickly with minimal equipment is no easy task.

Ridley's undeniable popularity also finally earned him a spot on the roster of Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-11-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:07 PM
King Of Space-Time

Hrm. not having a lot of confidence for my picks...
Old 03-10-2019, 07:40 PM

Now it is my time to say that i'm bad at Super Metroid and fighting Ridley is just too frustrating to me.

I don't have anything to say about Psaro, except that he's the sexiest Trunks. Here's proof:

But yeah, great boss battle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
I can see someone seeing Bowser 64 as a boring choice as I remember those fights being relatively simple but man it feels nice to swing him around, doesn't it?
Yeees!!!
Old 03-10-2019, 08:37 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default #42

Shredder - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time

'Tonight I dine on turtle soup.'

59 Points

Shell-Shocked: JohnnyUnusual, Positronic Brain

People who are my age probably have fond memories of the original animated TMNT run. Not only was the show a big hit with the kids, but the series produced a huge number of tie-in toy lines and surprisingly high quality licensed video games. The best of these where the arcade cabinet games, all of which got faithful adaptations for the home console. They were always multi-player and had very simple, beat-em-up mechanics, making them great games to play with friends. Turtles in Time might have been the best of all of them. The turtles have been rebooted several times since then, usually trying to tie in a little closer with the original comics, but elements of the original television run still remain in every iteration since. Turtles in Time also saw a remake in 2009.

The Shredder is a master ninja and leader of the Foot Clan, and arch-nemesis to the Ninja Turtles. Turtles in Time revolves around Shredder stealing the Statue of Liberty and the Turtles trying to recover it. Eventually, Shredder gets sick of the turtles' meddling and banishes them into an endless time warp, because I guess he can do that? Is Shredder a Time Lord? I've never read the comics.

This particular battle with Shredder did not exist in the original arcade game, but was added for the home console release to show-off the SNES's Mode 7. Shredder is piloting a battle tank, and the battle takes place from his perspective in the cockpit, with Shredder in the foreground. The turtles have no way to target Shredder with conventional attacks, but one of their abilities is a throw which launches enemy Foot Soldiers directly at the screen. Doing this is the only way to damage Shredder during this fight. It was pretty clever for the time and an inventive use for the Mode 7 technology. I'm glad this fight made the list just for the sheer novelty.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-11-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:21 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Wow, none of my picks so far, but plenty of games that I picked from.

I didn't pick Ridley simply because there's one battle in Super Metroid I like better, but it's a close race. Ridley is easily one of my favorite character designs in all of video game history - I like cool dragons and weird skeleton bugs and evil birds and fire breathing and he's got it all. Plus he's very scary. His battle straight up tests your skill at Super Metroid, and there's very little you can do to cheese your way through it (I always used to morph ball and then let him grab me, and lay a power bomb. He'd drop me in midair and take damage. This took forever to kill him, and I needed most every power-up in Zebes for it to work at all.)

One time, Ridley got stuck in the lower left corner of his lair and sat there while I dumped 200 missiles into his mouth. That was a nice day.

Hollow Knight is a game bursting with memorable boss battles. I had a similar experience with the Mantis Lords, where I discovered them early on, but couldn't face them until far later. It's a great test of your skill, because if you do manage to beat them, you get one of the more useful badges as a reward.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:33 AM
Penalty for being bard

Default #41

Jack of Hearts - NieR

'That...that ain't good.'

63 Points

Badass Dads: Doctor Nerd, ozacrot

Jack, or Jack of Hearts, is a boss in NieR: Gestalt and Nier: Replicant. Both games are the same, but with an altered player character. In Gestalt, you play a grizzled, muscular older man named Nier protecting his daughter, while in Replicant you play a pretty boy named Nier protecting his younger sister. This was apparently a marketing ploy to make western audiences more interested in the game, as only Gestalt was released in the west.

Anyway, Nier is in town one day being a badass, protecting his daughter, when suddenly a gargantuan shade called Jack stomps into town. Thus begins Nier's pitched battle to drive back Jack and its shade minions before his daughter is threatened. This situation quickly escalates beyond his control, however, as it turns out Jack is a regenerator, and cannot easily be damaged, much less killed.

What follows is a pitched, all-out battle against a monstrous, nigh-unkillable kaiju as it ravages Nier's village, while Nier and his companion Kainť unleash increasingly excessive and desperate attacks trying to slay Jack, all while defending a key building where the citizens have taken refuge. As it becomes clear that the village is being overwhelmed, the tone shifts drastically and the party becomes desperate just to survive, and are forced to make some hard decisions. And Jack might not be the worst thing around...

Jack is considered one of the more difficult bosses in Nier due to his frequently changing weak points and weaknesses. Some of his weak points can only be hit with certain attacks, and the difficulty in figuring out just how to hurt him while he's wreaking havoc only increases the tension. The battle with Jack and the surrounding events also represent a major turning point in NieR's story where things start to take a turn for our heroes, and the gravity of such a climactic moment only serves to make the battle all the more memorable.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:32 AM
-ryn

The first time I saw Malus, I stared at him in the open and he blew me away. He really is such a spectacle to behold and play through.

Mario boss fights are always interesting. His main attack is jumping on stuff. Often mario boss fights remove that mode of attack or put a spin on it somehow. 64 really had fun with boss fights. the 3 dimensional battle field opened up many options and Mario's increased arsenal of movement gave him some new ways to interact other than jumping. And Bowser is no exception. A boss fight made possible by the 3d dimensions and the controller. I think Bowser 64 is a great choice for this list.

The Shredder technodrome fight does have some fun spectacle factor and makes it very unique for the beat em ups.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:24 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

I probably would have included that Shovel Knight boss if I had thought of it.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:22 AM
Not Constantinople

Finally, one of my picks! These days I know where most of the things are in Super Metroid, and I know how to get into a good rhythm fighting Ridley. Even so, it's still one of the most exciting, pulse-pounding fights of the era.

The Shredder fight was an excellent use of the still fairly new SNES technology. I still have a hell of a time throwing Foot Clan even though I know the trick.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Penalty for being bard

Default #40

Decepticon - Transformers: Convoy no Nazo/Mystery of Convoy

64 Points

Robots in Disguise: bulgakov, Dracula, Loki

This is a very weird game with an interesting history. In 1986, the Transformers film ended with the death of Optimus Prime after his battle with Megatron, and with Ultra Magnus taking up the mantle of leader of the Autobots. The third season of the Transformers TV series picked up immediately where the film had left off, with Optimus Prime dead.

The new season of Transformers aired immediately for Japanese audiences, but the film would not receive a Japanese release for four more years, leaving them to wonder just what had happened to Optimus Prime (called 'Convoy' in Japan) off-screen.

This game was created as a tie-in to try to answer that question. Transformers: Convoy no Nazo or Mystery of Convoy, also known as Fight! Super Robot Life-Form Transformers: Mystery of Convoy is a somewhat infamous Famicom game due to its overall poor quality, lazy design, outrageously difficult gameplay, having little to do with Transformers, and for literally inducing epileptic seizures due to strobing effects. In the game, Ultra Magnus fights his way through several Decepticon bases searching for answers as to what happened to Optimus Prime.

Now, you may be thinking that if the game was created to answer the question 'Why is Convoy dead?,' that the game might actually answer that question ('It was Megatron") or at least have some kind of plot, right? Well no. Not even finishing the game answers that question. In fact, the game doesn't even end; it just loops forever. The entire premise itself, its literal raison d'Ítre, is a tease.

But failing that, at least you'll get a chance to fight some Decepticons, right?

Well, no again. Megatron and Trypticon are in the game, but that's about it for Decepticon bosses. Instead you get this. A literal Decepticon symbol that appears in the game three times. It cannot move and dies in about four seconds. It is notable mostly for the sheer audacity of it existing at all.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-11-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

The Shredder fight was epic and mind-blowing the first time I played it as a kid.

And everything about Shovel Knight is fantastic.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

The Shredder fight is great and awesome unless you can't remember how to perform that move.

How many runs ended there?
Old 03-11-2019, 11:29 AM
till the sheriff stops by

I love the Shredder fight. For most of the game, throwing dudes at the screen is fun color and then, all of a sudden, it is key to winning the game. Also, I love beat em ups but I feel like not enough of them really change things up. Interestingly, this isn't the first beat em up boss fight from the baddies' POV. Curious if the other will make the list?
Old 03-11-2019, 12:13 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
The Shredder fight is great and awesome unless you can't remember how to perform that move.

How many runs ended there?
You can get it through enough intelligent mashing. Lady knows I have rediscovered it more than once on a playthrough separated by years.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Not Constantinople

I love that an entry made it on here solely due to its sheer ridiculousness.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:22 PM
-ryn

I've beaten Shredder's technodrome fight many times and I can't tell you at this time how to do the throw move. You can totally mash your way through it.

I usually have to start burning the continues in the next 3 time traveling levels when i play with my brother.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default Interlude

Interlude
Stallord - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

If you're like me, you probably played Twilight Princess, but you maybe don't remember a lot about it. Sure, you remember Midna, because she's sassy and adorable as shit, and you remember how the wolf sections kind of dragged, but you probably don't remember that much about the plot, anyone you met, anything about the dungeons you went to, or even who any of the bosses were.

Except this boss. You remember this boss.

Stallord is a boss in Twilight Princess, the guardian of the Arbiter's Grounds where the Mirror of Twilight is being kept. Upon arrival, Zant, the usurper Twilight King, resurrects the remains of an ancient creature, the Stallord, to dispose of Link and Midna.

As is typical of most Zelda bosses, defeating Stallord requires applying the dungeon's key item in some fashion, and in the case of the Arbiter's Ground, that items happens to be one of the more fun items Zelda has introduced in its 3D era; the Spinner. Link must use the spinner to build up momentum and pinball around the arena trying to strike Stallord's weakpoint while he summons ancient undead warriors to block you. The second phase gets even more intense, as you use the Spinner to pursue Stallord's head around in a high speed chase, evading obstacles and waiting for the chance to strike.

I'm a bit critical of most Zelda games from this era, as most had become highly dependent on tradition to the point of becoming rote. Most of Twilight Princess was sadly like this, but Stallord and the Spinner stand out for actually introducing new, fun mechanics into the series and building an incredibly satisfying boss experience around it. The music for the fight is also an incredible piece, especially in the second half of the fight; building the tension and setting the mood like few other battle themes ever have.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-13-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:31 PM
Not Constantinople

I'm the one what voted for Stallord. It's not a terribly difficult fight, but a lot of great boss fights aren't. In fact, most of my selections weren't based on challenge as much as presence, mechanics, and design, and the overall impression those left. Solitayre pretty much covered everything, but I also always liked how the theme was a remix of the Dodongo/Volvagia boss theme from Ocarina.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:58 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default Bonus Art

Bonus Art!

Ridley

Art by Noť Leyva

Stallord

Art by pin 100
Old 03-11-2019, 05:39 PM
クソゲーが好な人

At first I was like "nuh-uh! I don't remember Stallord at all!" and then I kept reading and realized that you were 100 percent correct.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:14 PM
This Guy

Stallord is great; it made me wish there were more chances to use the spinner throughout the game. I know it is useless in most situations because I kept it equipped and used it in every new situation.

I wish I had remembered to finish my list of bosses, but I look forward to the rest of this list.

Tags
boss rush , bosses , bruce springsteen , hey boss , i dropped your list boss , like a boss , tony danza , top 50 countdown , who's the boss?