The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 02-19-2019, 09:40 AM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

ATTENTION: For Immediate Release

The Riverfolk Company has the following Goods and Services for sale until this evening.

Cards: 2

Riverboats: 1

Mercenaries: 3

ACT NOW! Supplies are LIMITED!
Old 02-19-2019, 10:00 AM
I have a Plan

Which means the setup for the first turn looks a little bit like this!

While we set up in one order, play order doesn't have to follow that same sequence, so I've randomized the turn order. It's already listed in the first post, but just to make sure you're up to speed:
  1. Sprite as the Vagabond
  2. Patrick as Marquise de Cat
  3. JBear as Eyrie Dynasties
  4. Destil as the Riverfolk Company

I might also go track the players' board states and resources in that post later on, but for now, here's the Vagabond's first turn board.

Birdsong:

You can exhaust some items to purchase one of the Riverfolk's services, and then refresh up to 5 items, or 3 if you exhaust the tea. After that, Slip into another clearing.

Daylight:

Exhaust items as you will to do stuff!
Old 02-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Well gosh and golly, it's so good to meet you all! I'm sure we'll be the best of friends.

Birdsong:
I'll exhaust my Sword and Boot to buy the Birdy Bindle from my new River friends, then I'll refresh that Sword and Boot.

Next I'll Slip Northwest to the Rabbit clearing above me.

Daylight:
I'll exhaust my Tea and Boot to do an Errand Quest for some rabbits. They look so tired! They offered me some cards but I decided to take the Victory Point instead.

I'll also exhaust my Torch to have a gander at those Ruins and Explore them. I can't wait to see what I get!

Can I use what I get right away? If so I'd like to see what I get before I move on to Evening.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:39 PM
I have a Plan

You can definitely use the item you just found, and that item is a hammer!

Also, as soon as you clear a quest, you replace it with a new quest from the deck, which in this case is this one:

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can move to another clearing to craft Birdy Bindle right now, so unless you plan on aiding (or fighting I guess) the Marquise here, you'll probably be ending your Daylight phase now.

Still, you got a point for the Errand and a point for exploring, so not a bad start!
Old 02-19-2019, 06:05 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Okay end the phase please. And thanks!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:04 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Great, that means it's the Marquise de Cat's turn! Now that I'm in charge of the Woodland, I promise safety and good paying jobs for all (as soon as I get rid of that pesky Eyrie Dynasty).

At the start of Birdsong

I'd like to purchase the Arms Trader (a fine fellow) from the industrious Riverfolk Company. In exchange, I'll send two stalwart cat soldiers from my supply to the Riverfolk Payments Box.

Also, I place one stack of Wood at my Sawmill next to my Keep, in the bottom right Rabbit clearing.

During Daylight

(1) My workers will bring that wood to the central Fox clearing and Build a station for Recruiters (scoring one victory point).

(2) I will Recruit, placing fresh, rested soldiers at the central Mouse clearing and the central Fox clearing.

(3) I will order my marvelous soldiers to March from the top Rabbit clearing to the upper right Mouse clearing, and from the left Mouse clearing to the central Fox clearing.

Finally, in the Evening

I will draw one card.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:04 PM
23 ski-dook

Poppin' in to show that I got my own custom Vagabond art from Kyle Ferrin, the game's artist.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:05 PM
I have a Plan

Okay, cool. Y'all got your card draws in place now, so let's get a good refresher on the board state before we move on to the Eyrie Dynasties.

Marquise turns aren't usually very complex, but there's a lot of guys to track.

Anyway, let's have it, JBear!

Birdsong:

You can buy stuff from the Riverfolk if you want, but regardless of whether you do or not, the Decree still needs more cards.

Daylight:

If you have stuff to craft requiring only one fox crafting piece here, go ahead, otherwise you got a Decree to carry out!
Old 02-19-2019, 10:16 PM
Apply Bertolli, cast FIRE

Pronouns: He/Him

At the start of my Birdsong, I will reluctantly pay the Riverfolk 2 soldiers to take their remaining hand card. I think we're giving them way too much to start, but all the cool kids are doing it, and I need bird cards more than everyone else. I kind of hate getting last pick of their cards? It seems like a big disadvantage. Anyway.

*AHEM*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BY ROYAL DECREE, THE GREAT AND CHARISMATIC JBEAR THE KIND,
LORD OF THE ROOST, HEIR TO THE EYRIE DYNASTIES, LONG MAY HE REIGN,
ISSUES FORTH THE FOLLOWING PROCLAMATION TO HIS LOYAL SUBJECTS:

My loyals viziers will oversee adding more loyal soldiers to our just cause, as well as driving those vile felines from our fair woods.

Additionally, our troops will move through the forest via a series of cleverly positioned holes.

That is all.

So, to summarize, my starting Decree is a Bird card in each of Recruit (Vizier), Move (Sappers), and Battle (Vizier).

As for resolving that decree:
  • Recruit at my only roost, adding 2 soldiers to the top-left fox clearing.
  • Move 4 of those soliders south-east to the centre rabbit clearing.
  • Battle those accursed cats.
Then score 0 VP because I suck, and draw a single card. (I initially drafted up a much different turn 1, but got cold feet and decided to play it safe. If I hadn't initially missed the restriction of only one bird card added to the decree per turn, I'd have likely chosen a different leader entirely. Oh well.)

Last edited by JBear; 02-20-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:40 PM
I have a Plan

Eh, they can't all be winners.

The Marquise de Cat was unwilling and/or unable to ambush your soldiers this round, not that it would do them a lot of good to do so. The dice rolled 3 and 3 respectively, which translates to both sides losing 1 warrior because that's all the Marquise has there. They have the option of discarding a rabbit or bird card to bounce that warrior back to their Keep, although I don't know if that'd be worth it.

So, who wants to see what a first turn with nine funds can do?

Because I sure as hell do.

Birdsong:

All of those payments go right into the Funds box.

Daylight:

You have 9 funds to work with, two of which belong to the Marquise de Cat and Eyrie Dynasties each. That's a lot of potential trade posts you could deploy, but maybe you have other plans, like restocking your hand. Do note that if you want to Score Dividends, you do need at least one trade post out, so you can't sit on these 9 funds for free points next turn. Yet.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:34 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
At the start of my Birdsong, I will reluctantly pay the Riverfolk 2 soldiers to take their remaining hand card. I think we're giving them way too much to start, but all the cool kids are doing it, and I need bird cards more than everyone else. I kind of hate getting last pick of their cards? It seems like a big disadvantage. Anyway.
The very nice River man told me These Deals Won't Last Long, and showed me some pictures of attractive raccoons with bindles and I do so want to be an attractive raccoon.

Don't worry, though, he said they'd only use my money to do nice things and make everyone happy. That's their job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoWeasel View Post
Poppin' in to show that I got my own custom Vagabond art from Kyle Ferrin, the game's artist.
Well hey, that's just swell!
Old 02-20-2019, 08:28 AM
Rogue Robot

Spend 4 (including all of my other faction funds) to build two trading posts: one in the Mouse clearing Center-Mid (Cat) and one in the Mouse Clearing (Eyre) with the Vagabond.
Spend 2 to recruit two warriors at the trading post in the the Mouse clearing Center-Mid (Cat).
Commit 1 to move my two Warriors from the Rabbit Clearing (top center) to the new trading post in the Rabbit Clearing with the other post.
Commit 1 to draw a card.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 AM
I have a Plan

I'm assuming you mean the Rabbit clearing with the Eyrie and Vagabond for the first thing, but either way that's still 2 points per post established.

You still have 1 fund left to work with, and your new card is this:

Figure out if you want to draw again or do more shenanigans on the board, and then...

Evening:

Adjust your service costs as needed.

I'm going to take a second to add player boards to the first post and try my best to keep them updated.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:37 AM
Rogue Robot

Commit that last fund to draw another card.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:39 AM
I have a Plan

Sure, here you go.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:42 AM

Rules questions: Can I recruit in the same clearing more than once per turn, provided that I have two matching cards in my decree? If I try to recruit with all 20 of my soldiers already in play, does this action fail and send me into turmoil? If I try to recruit with exactly 19 of my 20 soldiers in play, such that I can't get the additional solider granted to me by my leader bonus, does this action fail and send me into turmoil?

Also, why do The Riverfolk now have 4 VP? Shouldn't hey have 0? What am I missing?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:49 AM
I have a Plan

1. Yeah, you can recruit (or any part of your decree except Build) multiple times in the same clearing if you have the right decree.
  2. Yes. You failed to recruit soldiers, therefore turmoil. This mostly only happens with the Charismatic, for obvious reasons.
  3. Also yes. The double recruitment is mandatory, so failing to uphold that means you just pop out the one warrior and then hit turmoil.
  4. Establishing trade posts is worth 2 VP apiece. He put two on the board, so he has 4 VP.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:52 AM
of the Black Falcons

Man, this is a crowded board for this early in the game! I'm used to the Woodland Alliance (the usual third big faction) being a non-presence for the first part of the game, and things are also going to be complicated because of the Eyrie's Charismatic Recruits giving extra warriors.

Demo - that's extremely cool! Kyle Ferrin does D&D party portraits too. He seems like a good dude.

E- rules Ninja'd by Kalir!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
Establishing trade posts is worth 2 VP apiece. He put two on the board, so he has 4 VP.
Ah, okay. I'm guessing this info is printed on the player boards underneath the tokens?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:57 AM
I have a Plan

Yup. The Eyrie Dynasties is the exception because they have a bit more real estate to work with on their board.

This is why I ballparked the point totals for the Marquise's buildings in the summary rather than laying them out in raw detail. (If you're curious, Sawmills go linearly from 1-5, while the first new Workshop is instead worth 2 and the fourth/fifth new Recruiter is instead worth only 3/4. Every second new Recruiter also adds a card draw in Evening.)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:58 AM
of the Black Falcons

Quote:
Ah, okay. I'm guessing this info is printed on the player boards underneath the tokens?
Yeah, I haven't seen that board, but that makes sense. The Eyrie has VP printed just under the track, because they score those points each round that they have the roost built. The Cats & Woodland Alliance have VP printed on the spaces that get covered up by cardboard pieces, because they only score when they uncover those spaces by building. Riverfolk Company score when they build, so VP should be on the spaces themselves.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:59 AM
Rogue Robot

ATTENTION: For Immediate Release

The Riverfolk Company is proud to continue offering goods to the many peoples of the wood at the following prices:

Cards: 3

Riverboats: 1

Mercenaries: 2

Come on down to our new trading posts, and see them for yourself.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:03 AM

Final question: do soldier tokens removed in combat return to my supply, or are they removed from the game?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:06 AM
I have a Plan

Warriors removed in combat go back to your supply. (With the Woodland Alliance, who only has a supply of 10 and can't realistically field all 10 of them at once, that tends to matter a lot.)

This takes us back to Sprite as the Vagabond. (For those curious, I'm going to keep updated boards in the first post, but for now I'll keep putting images in posts here too unless people don't want me to bog their browsers.)

Birdsong:

Figure out if you want to buy anything new, then Refresh your stuff and slip around.

Daylight:

Continue your adventure!
Old 02-20-2019, 10:11 AM

THE GREAT AND CHARISMATIC JBEAR THE KIND, LORD OF THE ROOST,
HEIR TO THE EYRIE DYNASTIES, LONG MAY HE REIGN,
ISSUES FORTH THE FOLLOWING PROCLAMATION TO ALL RESIDENTS OF THE FOREST:

Please don't give those jerk otters any more money. They are runningswimming away with this game. Eat the rich.

That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
(For those curious, I'm going to keep updated boards in the first post, but for now I'll keep putting images in posts here too unless people don't want me to bog their browsers.)
Please, bog away. And thanks so much for collecting them in one place. I was having a hell of a time scrolling back and forth on page one of this thread to remind myself what rules everyone else is operating under.

Last edited by JBear; 02-20-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:11 AM
of the Black Falcons

I'm in favor of putting images in posts because reminders are helpful.

Riverfolk Company question: are the spent funds returned to our supplies as well? So the Eyrie and Cats each get two back this round?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:13 AM
I have a Plan

Yep. Committed funds stay on their board, spent funds go back to their owners.

(Again, very important for the Woodland Alliance, who will virtually never buy anything from the Riverfolk Company.)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:18 AM
Rogue Robot

They can't pay my mercenaries to attack me, can they?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:19 AM
of the Black Falcons

Quote:
Please don't give those jerk otters any more money. The are runningswimming away with this game. Eat the rich.
Law of Root 1.3.1: Agreements. Players are free to discuss the game during play, but agreements between players are non-binding.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:22 AM
I have a Plan

The Riverfolk cannot be forced to attack themselves. Similarly, anyone the Vagabond is allied with can't be forced to attack themselves.

Tags
bad politics never dies , i am root , lets play , redwall , root , the bird is the word