The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 02-05-2019, 09:51 AM
Penalty for being bard

Pronouns: He/Him
Default The Talking Time Boss Rush! Nominating your Top 50 Favorite Boss Fights!

Boss Rush!

Hi all!

With both the numbers and the dinosaurs list winding down, it's time to talk about what really matters. And that's Boss Fights!

What's this List about?

In this list, you will nominate up to 25 of your favorite boss fights from a video game. PM your list to me, Solitayre and I will compile the list into a Top 50 Countdown! Your #1 pick will receive 35 points, your #2 will receive 34, and so on. Because that makes perfect sense.

What is a Boss fight?

In the early days of video games, boss fights were typically the guardians at the end of the level (or occasionally half way through a level) who were intended to make you spend more quarters test your progress and see if you were good enough to continue to the next part of the game! Bosses were usually larger and tougher than normal enemies, had unique graphics or attack patterns, had specific weaknesses the player had to exploit, and/or were often accompanied by special musical tracks to increase the tension or set the mood.

As video games have evolved, so too has the role of the boss fight. As games became more cinematic, bosses sometimes appeared not simply at the end of a level but at specific points in the plot, or as recurring villains throughout a story arc, or even throughout a series of games. Some boss fights came to have multiple stages or 'forms,' or may even span more than one discrete battle. As a result, the rules for what actually constitute a boss fight have become somewhat fluid as the medium has progressed.

In theory, any unique battle, encounter, or series of encounters at any point in a game could be considered a boss fight, even in games that do not have explicit combat situations. If you think it's a boss fight, feel free to vote for it.

What are the rules?

#1: Video games only. Movies and TV shows have rad fight scenes sometimes, but these aren't boss fights.

#2: This isn't a villain thread. You are free to vote for a boss fight because you like the villain associated, but we're talking about the fights you like here, not so much the characters.

#3: When voting, include the boss fight and the game it comes from in your vote. This is especially important in talking about a game franchise in which bosses appear in multiple games. (If you fight a boss more than once in a game, indicate which fight you're talking about.) I'll use my best judgment here when compiling the results.

#4 Feel free to include a little blurb about why you like the boss fight too. Solitayre probably hasn't played as many games as you have, so giving some additional help in explaining what makes these boss fights special is appreciated!

#5 Due to the nature of this list, spoilers are possible. I'm not asking anyone not to nominate a boss because it's a spoiler, but everyone reading this list should be aware that spoilers are possible. If you consider your boss to be a spoiler, please indicate this to me in your nomination. That way I can try to provide warning to potential readers that spoilers are present. I offer no guarantees however. Let the reader beware.

#6 Have fun! (This is the most important rule.)

Other than that, you are free to nominate a boss based on whatever you think makes a boss cool. Maybe the fight is a lot of fun, or the boss has a neat design, or you think the music is cool, or it happens at just the right point in the story to give maximum catharsis. Let us know why you think it's great!

I'm not putting a specific time limit on the nomination period here, but as of the moment this thread goes up I will be accepting nominations. When the Number and Dinosaur lists wrap up, I'll give a deadline for when nomination lists need to be in. It'll be at least a week after both lists are finished. The official list will come some time after that.

Please enjoy!

Last edited by Solitayre; 02-08-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:51 AM
Apply Bertolli, cast FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
Your #1 pick will receive 25 points, your #2 will receive 24, and so on. Your Highest pick will receive an additional 10 points, because I guess that's a thing now.
Is this a thing now? Since when? I'm p. sure that Octo just did this based on a misunderstanding of what is actually the thing now? Giving an extra +10 to all entries is intended to help prop up unpopular choices, while giving +10 to number 1 just helps the winners win more. Maybe I missed/forgot (probably the latter) some discussion?
Old 02-05-2019, 10:59 AM
Penalty for being bard

Is the actual thing to give everything a +10?
Old 02-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Yeah, that's kind of a thing. It makes less-popular picks place better, like JBear said.

Your list. Do what you want.

Kefka: one fight or four?
Old 02-05-2019, 11:09 AM
Penalty for being bard

Fixed. Thanks for the correction. It's why we have threads like these!

Go with what's in your heart. I'll worry about the details.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:40 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

I'm gonna nominate a bunch of unwinnable/Unlosable Suda 51 fights and none of you are bold enough to stop me.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:51 AM

Cool, thanks! I felt bad about making the first reply in this thread boring rules talk, but I wanted to get out in front of this before people actually started voting. Looking forward to this one!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

It's been 10 for a while, but for mine I ratcheted it back down to 5, which kept most of the rankings surprisingly cutthroat
Old 02-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

The purpose of the +10 thing is to make placing on multiple lists more valuable than placing well on one list. It's up to the listmaster's discretion whether to use it.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:33 PM
Penalty for being bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
listmaster
Never before have I wanted something so much and never known until I heard it.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Ooooooooooooo will need to think hard on this
Old 02-05-2019, 01:25 PM
Penalty for being bard

I'm kinda excited for this one because while you can probably think of some strong contenders for the top slots, who the #1 is gonna be is not a foregone conclusion.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Find Your Reason

I'm most excited about the variety of boss fights, rather than the characters themselves. As in, there's turn-based RPG bosses, platformer bosses, action-RPG bosses, shmup bosses, action game bosses, FPS bosses, even puzzle game bosses. I'm looking forward to seeing which genres dominate in people's minds, what springs up immediately when you think "boss fight".

BTW I already know one or more of my Top 5s will be huge spoiler(s) for the game(s) they're from. How will you handle the spots where even knowing such-and-such is a boss is a spoiler in and of itself?
Old 02-05-2019, 01:41 PM
Penalty for being bard

I'll probably just list in my first post 'this list will spoil the following games.'

Just let me know which bosses you think are spoilers. I know sometimes that just knowing someone is a boss can be a spoiler.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:41 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Kefka: one fight or four?
IMO, that is one fight with four phases but that is sort of a special case of the multi-phase boss.

Quote:
Go with what's in your heart. I'll worry about the details.
Can we nominate all of the times we fight a boss in a particular game?
Old 02-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Penalty for being bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post

Can we nominate all of the times we fight a boss in a particular game?
I'll allow it.

I really don't want people getting hung up on things like 'are two fights back to back two bosses or one boss? Does a boss with multiple forms count as multiple bosses?' Just vote for your thing and explain why and I promise it'll all work out.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:17 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
I'll allow it.

I really don't want people getting hung up on things like 'are two fights back to back two bosses or one boss? Does a boss with multiple forms count as multiple bosses?' Just vote for your thing and explain why and I promise it'll all work out.
This is a Very Good policy, and I appreciate it.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Quote:
I'll probably just list in my first post 'this list will spoil the following games.'
But that'd spoil the list itself!

My suggestion would be, when you reach an entry post that would reasonably be considered a spoiler, say what game that particular entry is spoiling and put the body of it under a spoiler pop maybe?
Old 02-05-2019, 07:31 PM
Penalty for being bard

Yeah, I'll probably do something like that.

I've also received the first list! Rest of y'all slackers.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:31 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Hey... I have my candidates. I just need to make some painful cuts* and then do the even more painful process of ordering them. And then the less (?) painful process of explaining my reasoning.

*I have already made one cut due to revisiting a game via youtube instead of my very old and nostalgia tinted memories of it.

edit: I had a lot fewer candidates than I thought. Those cuts were actually pretty easy.

Last edited by Torzelbaum; 02-05-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Some Guy

I'm excited!

I have a list of 35 fights right now. This is going to be tough...
Old 02-06-2019, 03:10 PM

My draft list was 49, which I think might be a record for me, and I still felt like I was forgetting lots. Also, the novel I wrote about my final top 25 was long enough that I had to separate it into 3 separate PMs.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:13 AM
-ryn

oh this is going to be a fun list. I can already tell.

ok, i've listed out a bunch that came to mind immediately for various reasons. The problem is that I'm sure there are a thousand more that just aren't coming to mind at this exact moment.

Last edited by Taeryn; 02-13-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:27 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I want to do this. But thinking my memory is garbage and I can't remember any boss fights...

Let alone the games they occur in.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:52 AM
Penalty for being bard

Please remember that you don't have to submit a list of 25. You can submit a list of one, or two, or ten, or any whole, positive number between 0 and 25.

Last edited by Solitayre; 02-13-2019 at 11:53 AM. Reason: I am being very specific for our number nerds
Old 02-13-2019, 12:07 PM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Oh shit I forgot. Will need to work on this!
Old 02-13-2019, 12:14 PM
-ryn

like i know the full list will come out and i'm going to constantly being "oh yeah" probably....

that or it will be a list of a bunch of final bosses for games I never finished...
Old 02-13-2019, 12:28 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJF View Post
Oh shit I forgot. Will need to work on this!
Old 02-13-2019, 12:36 PM
Penalty for being bard

Assigning a tentative deadline of February 28th. That'll give our other lists some time to close out and for everyone to get their lists to me.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:04 PM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

Quote:
Please remember that you don't have to submit a list of 25. You can submit a list of one, or two, or ten, or any whole, positive number between 0 and 25.
Inclusive?

I just love the boss fights {}.

Tags
big boss , boss bass , bossa nova , chevy nova? , hey boss , like a boss , seven force + 43 , top 50 countdown , who's the boss? , you're not the boss of me