The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 10-26-2017, 10:08 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

This might be a challenging viewpoint, but I say that Vehicle Voltron looks “dumb”.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:15 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Let me see you design a 15-vehicle combiner that doesn't look a little bit dumb, OCTOPUS
Old 10-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Not Constantinople

I forgot Voltron! I am shame.

The Bond set was something my dad had picked up before I was born, but one day when I was about 8 I found it in the basement and ended up playing with it constantly (IIRC it didn't really work anymore, but I still had fun putting it together and moving the cars around). It was my first encounter with James Bond, though I wouldn't see any of the movies for another 2 years.

There was another toy on my list that I discovered along with the car set and played with a lot, and that one probably won't place. However, I'll wait until we post our lists to talk about that one.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:06 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Let me see you design a 15-vehicle combiner that doesn't look a little bit dumb, OCTOPUS
Well that’s the thing, 7 of those 15 are the same as the other 7 out of 15.

You give me a fusilateral semidodecal-combiner, you shouldn’t make it look Symmetrical!
Old 10-26-2017, 11:08 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Well that’s the thing, 7 of those 15 are the same as the other 7 out of 15.

You give me a fusilateral semidodecal-combiner, you shouldn’t make it look Symmetrical!
Old 10-26-2017, 11:08 AM
Mystery Contraption

Yes!

Yes, exactly
Old 10-26-2017, 11:12 AM
Find Your Reason

Now I'm just concerned about where you'd form the head.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:21 AM
Mystery Contraption

Why bother with one?
Old 10-26-2017, 11:22 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Incidentally, this is probably my favorite combining robot with more than 10 components.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:25 AM
Mystery Contraption

A fine choice but (while not a robot) I was always fond of Modulock from MotU.

Making a two-headed centaur-bugman represented the least amount of imagination there.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:30 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Oh, also, here is a beautiful and extensive look at the original Popy Golion (Matchbox deluxe Voltron).

Old 10-26-2017, 11:35 AM
King Of Space-Time

If my #2 is this low, this does not bode well for my picks.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:03 PM
-ryn

If kid me had ever seen that photo, kid me would have been salivating. Rural Iowa before the internet was just not a great place for finding out about things that don't show up at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:48 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Oh, also, here is a beautiful and extensive look at the original Popy Golion (Matchbox deluxe Voltron).

Pretty sure this is the one I had. It was an amazing toy. I wonder how much it cost when it came out?

The remakes of it today, with diecast but not all the other doo-dads, are around $500
Old 10-26-2017, 01:56 PM
クソゲーが好な人

I don't know about the American price tag, but the Popy set had a cost of 9,800 yen, according to that website. In 1981, it was about 200 yen to the dollar, so 50 bucks in 80s cash...which is like $130 in today's cash, I think?
Old 10-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
I don't know about the American price tag, but the Popy set had a cost of 9,800 yen, according to that website. In 1981, it was about 200 yen to the dollar, so 50 bucks in 80s cash...which is like $130 in today's cash, I think?
What a bargain that was!
Old 10-26-2017, 02:08 PM
That bug is NUTS!

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
YUSSSSSS. I didn't think this would rank, but I still hoped it would. I salute you, other KITT voter!
*knux*
Old 10-26-2017, 02:15 PM
Not Constantinople

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Pretty sure this is the one I had.
I had that one, too. All five lilns and, I think' all five pilots. Like my Transformers it eventually broke because cheap plastic can only take so much transforming and combining.

NEVAR FORGET!

Old 10-26-2017, 04:12 PM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Great thread would read again
Old 10-26-2017, 07:22 PM
Ugh

My Grandad got me the Voltron 1 Deluxe Warrior Set for Christmas one year and I wore that thing out. What's funny is I didn't know what it was called so I just called it Vehicle Voltron, lol.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:38 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Is tiny chrome guy from Starriors? (ZOIDS?)
I thought I was the only person who remembered those.

Quote:
I had that set. I remember my parents would often get slot car sets for me and my older brother. But I think we always used to burn out the motors (or we ran into the same problem that muteKi did) and they would stop working. Or I'd get bored and play with my other toys.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:59 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Voltron (specifically the GoLion version) was a late cut from my list - sacrificed because young me never actually owned the dang thing. But hell, it's just cool. A robot made of lions!

And yeah, the new show is great and Octo's assessment is accurate. I tried to watch the original once recently and... ooooof.

My experience with slot cars is limited to the 3DS StreetPass game.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:04 AM
Funko Superfan

Quote:

Aw jeeze I had this toy and forgot about ever even owning it.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:11 AM
クソゲーが好な人

No. 48. TIE

Marble Run (and similar)
Various Toy Companies
Points 52 | Lists 2 | Highest Ranked: Bulgakov #2
A good way to lose your marbles.

It’s a simple and brilliant concept. You take a bunch of modular tubes and chutes and assemble them into a towering contraption that sends your marbles cascading from top to bottom. You build different obstacles and other goodies into your machine to test the limits of physics (maybe learning a lesson or two along the way). And all of this is accompanied by the pleasing click-clack of marble against plastic.

Yes, I had one of these – mine was branded “Marbleworks,” which was the version called out by Bulgakov – but the toy has been released in many different forms by many different companies over the years. This is close to the specific one I had:

The texture and feel of those plastic chutes are still etched into my muscle memory, even though it’s been decades since I’ve touched them. My mother had a tendency to buy “educational” toys from catalogs, so we had a healthy collection of stuff like this lying around the house.
Here’s a few more designs:

I couldn’t find much in the way of history for this particular type of toy, but I’m sure it’s been around forever.

Here’s a neat one made of paper:

Zoids (AKA Robostrux; Technozoids)
Tomy, Kenner, Hasbro, Kotobukiya, etc.
Points 52 | Lists 2 | Highest Ranked: Dracula #8 | Favorites: Gordox, Ultrasaurus
The Pre-Hysterical Monster-Machines

Before they merged with Takara, I always thought of Tomy as “that one company with the cool wind-ups.” A lot of that came from one of my favorite childhood films, Where The Toys Come From, which featured a huge cast of exclusively Tomy toys.

One of Tomy’s flagship brands for many years was Zoids. Zoids started in the early 1980s as “Mechabonica,” a humble offering of several small, simple wind-up robotic beasties, then later in the U.S. as Zoids with a couple of larger, motorized critters. Each had a tiny cockpit with a tiny removable chrome pilot inside. They came unassembled, so each had to be clipped off of sprues and assembled like a model kit (but no glue was needed).

As the line evolved in Japan, it gained an ongoing and complicated “war story” told via little blocks of text on the back of each package. They told the story of the Helic Republic fighting against the Zenevas Empire, each of which had its own array of enormous, animal-shaped mecha with shapes ranging from caterpillar to rhinoceros to liger to basically Godzilla. Even the smallest ones were exquisitely engineered, with tons of sculpted-in detail, decals, and moving parts. It’s really one of the best toylines ever.

A staggering number were produced before the line fizzled out at the end of the 80s. A couple of times, it was imported to the U.S., usually under different names and with the story elements chopped out. I experienced it in the mid-1990s as Kenner’s “Technozoids.” My favorite was a blue scorpion which was called “EVIL SCORPION” (I guess it beats the Japanese name, Guysack).

None of these imports really caught hold until the early 2000s when Tomy revitalized the line, starting with repackaged reissues of the originals and then rolling out a series of new designs. This was accompanied with a new anime and manga that, for the first time, depicted a version of the Zoids war story. Around the same time, Hasbro started exporting Zoids to the U.S. Like usual, the packaging lacked the obsessive detail that the Japanese versions included, but this time we did eventually get all of the tie-in anime and manga, although in a weird order.

Around this time, I got seriously obsessed with Zoids. I gathered up as many as I could afford, both from Hasbro’s line, and Tomy imports from sites like ImageAnime. I was frustrated that I couldn’t read the names of the weapons and the backstories on the Japanese packaging. My brother got into ‘em too, and we ended up with our own huge, complicated backstory that we’d play out using other action figures to stand in as our pilot characters.

Eventually, both the American and the Japanese lines fizzled out again. I’m sad to say that it’s been about a decade since Zoids has had a mass retail toyline. But for those of us with big bux, there is at least the ridiculously intricate and expensive High Master Models range, which has produced highly articulated (and not motorized) model kits of most of the major 1980s and 2000s Zoids.

I personally have cooled off on Zoids a bit, but I keep a portion of my original collection (not really sure what happened to the rest of them) in a closet, just waiting for that old passion to be rekindled.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Holy Swine

Ooh, the marble stuff is an awesome pull. Man I had so much fun with those things. Definitely should have been on my list.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:24 AM
Mystery Contraption

I miss Zoids, every day.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:30 AM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Marble run! I had a set as a kid! I played with it a lot!
Old 10-27-2017, 09:32 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Marble run! I had a set as a kid! I played with it a lot!
Me too. I totally forgot it existed.

My terrible memory of childhood toys is why I decided not to submit a list to this one. I'm enjoying the heck out of seeing all of this stuff pop up again.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Cookie Clicker Champion

Quote:
...mine was branded “Marbleworks,” which was the version called out by Bulgakov.
As we will see if any of my other votes make the list, I was that kid who got all the educational toys, and never so much as held a He-Man in my hands (though I spent many an hour staring at them in the action figure aisle at Kmart).

But Marble runs are pretty cool, even if they're now supplanted by racing videos on the beach.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:45 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Both of these on my list! I gave up trying to track down what brand of Marble Run I had as a kid - there are so many extremely similar sets made by different manufacturers; I guess there's nothing much trademark-able about a bunch of plastic chutes. But it was pretty close to the one Drac had and the one below it, though not exactly the same as either. Anyway, lots of good tinkering fun and a bit of physics. I remember occasionally trying to put together configurations which launched the marble and caught it again, with varying success (and varying levels of damage to the surroundings and lost marbles).

I only had one ZOIDS toy as a kid, but it was a doozy. Gordox from the RoboStrux line, a recolor of the stegosaurus. In fact, for anyone who doesn't read the Toy thread, here it is:

I remember it being one of the coolest things I owned for a long time.

I also caught a bit of one of the Zoids anime series in the early 2000s, though not enough to keep up with the storyline. I remember the Liger being a big thing. Which made it amusing when Gundam Seed introduced a very similar mech later.

Edit: Bulgakov, that sand marble race is ridiculously compelling, what the hell.

Tags
ages 30 and up , amiibo are so expensive , batteries not included , brothers in arms , choking hazard , collect em all , each sold separately , everyone knows its slinky , everyone wants a log , fusilateralquintocombiner , nerf this , oh joy best toy , plastic paradise , some assembly required , stuffed animals , top 50 countdown , toys , tyrantcola , weapons do not shoot , weapons really fire