The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 10-25-2017, 02:37 PM
the :motion: stands

Pronouns: He / Him

I got a rock.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:57 PM
You must whip it

I got Phoebe from Friends.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

I got a t-shirt that says "all I got from this G.I. Joe quiz is this t-shirt"
Old 10-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I got Sergeant Slaughter
Old 10-25-2017, 03:51 PM
Eelection 2019 Info

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Apparently if you fill it out while on a military base they conscript you. But that's OK. They tell me Afghanistan is lovely this time of year.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:21 PM
Tausendsassa

I love stuffed toys (and voted for quite a few!), but I've never been a fan of Beanie Babies. The floppy, understuffed bodies aren't very cuddly. I much prefer Beanie Buddies, which were larger versions of the Babies designs, made with higher-quality materials and stuffed to a more pleasing shape.

Also I cut off all my tags. Even the tag on my Steiff bear.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Apparently if you fill it out while on a military base they conscript you. But that's OK. They tell me Afghanistan is lovely this time of year.
I have bad news for you about Cobra's preferred theaters of operations...
Old 10-25-2017, 05:17 PM
Penalty for being bard

Pronouns: He/Him

Some quality production values going on in this thread.

Between my brother, sister, and myself we amassed quite a collection of Beanie Babies when I was a kid. Quackers the Duck hangs out on the console table in my study because it is appropriate for a 32 year old man to decorate his home with stuffed animals.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Your life is forfeit

Sadly, I didn't qualify for Steel Brigade. I'm just a greenshirt headswap on a pre-swivel-arm Original 13 body.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Space Prez

My crotch-piece broke off :|
Old 10-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
My crotch-piece broke off :|
The 100% effective birth control method.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:04 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
I see Cy-Kill's engine block.
I think the other silver thing is a gun from one of the G1 Transformers.

edit: Found it. It's Topspin's Particle Beam Rifle. I had that toy.

Also, isn't that blue table from Kenner's late 70's Millenium Falcon?

That lime green staff looks like it would be from He-Man.

Speaking of, are all of the toys in front of the Castle Grayskull playset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Challenge: Identify as many objects as you can from the first photo in the thread.

The prize is 1,000 Dracula points, which can be redeemed at your nearest haunted castle.
Is the catch that you can only redeem them once every century?

Last edited by Torzelbaum; 10-25-2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: if only there was a word that meant 100 years
Old 10-25-2017, 07:00 PM
Toothsome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Speaking of, are all of they toys in front of the Castle Grayskull playset?
It certainly appears so. I'm surprised you got the monster-rug trapdoor to stay latched, Dracula. Also, is that the Holy Grail from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on the throne?
Old 10-25-2017, 08:54 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
Some quality production values going on in this thread.

Between my brother, sister, and myself we amassed quite a collection of Beanie Babies when I was a kid. Quackers the Duck hangs out on the console table in my study because it is appropriate for a 32 year old man to decorate his home with stuffed animals.
No, Sol. It's perfectly ok.

Damn, I miss the old mafia crowd.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:12 PM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Pronouns: ♂

Quote:
Challenge: Identify as many objects as you can from the first photo in the thread.

The prize is 1,000 Dracula points, which can be redeemed at your nearest haunted castle.
One of them is He-Man's sword from the Masters of the Universe reboot about a decade ago.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:58 AM
Space Prez

Oh yeah, also two Microman.... coffins? Pods? The Egypt themed figure and a Lady Microman.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:59 AM
ドラキュラの様な奴

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Oh yeah, also two Microman.... coffins? Pods? The Egypt themed figure and a Lady Microman.
Wow! Nice! I figured these would be the last to be identified.

Some that you guys have not correctly named:
  • The green staff
  • The golden key
  • The twin swords
  • The tiny chrome guy
  • The sphere on the throne
  • The item at the skeleton's feet
Old 10-26-2017, 07:00 AM
ドラキュラの様な奴

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
It certainly appears so. I'm surprised you got the monster-rug trapdoor to stay latched, Dracula. Also, is that the Holy Grail from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on the throne?
You chose wisely.

Also, a secret: This isn't the vintage Grayskull.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:04 AM
Space Prez

Is tiny chrome guy from Starriors? (ZOIDS?)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:13 AM
Meal break

I meant to vote in this but found putting the list together daunting (also I’d mostly been thinking of generic toys - stuffed animals or a ball or that thing with the cup and ball on a string - and it seemed like this was more about specific toys) then went overseas for a week and didn’t get to it. Oh well. It would have been highly influenced by what my kids like at the moment.

On the plus side, if I’d put in a list it might have pushed Beanie Babies off and I wouldn’t have found out about their collectors market, so maybe it’s for the best.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:31 AM
ドラキュラの様な奴

No. 49. THREE-WAY TIE

Knight Rider
Kenner, LJN, Ertl
Points 50 | Lists 2 | Highest Ranked: Jbear #1 | Favorites: Knight 2000 Voice Car
Call me KITT, for short.

Now I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know a damn thing about Knight Rider other than that it was a beloved 1980s TV show about a snappy talking Trans Am. But watching the commercial for the 1983 Knight 2000 Voice Car tells me that that’s the only thing you need to know about it:

From the late 70s until the mid 90s (when it was acquired by Hasbro), Kenner was absolutely the name in the game for pumping out toys based on the most popular cartoons, TV shows, and movies of the time, and the Knight 2000 Voice Car definitely shows that they knew exactly what they were doing.

It’s an exercise in exactly the right amount of design – it’s got a movable steering wheel, transmission, and decals to represent KITT’s control panels. If you jam a “C” battery into the car, pressing on the license plate activates one of five characteristic KITT phrases.

The included Michael Knight figure was about 5 inches tall, which means the car is too large to interact with most of Kenner’s other licensed properties, or miniature military guys, or what have you, but I’m sure that didn’t decrease the appeal.

It looks like Diamond Select paid homage to the Kenner toy (or maybe just the TV show) with a 1:15 scale KITT released a while back. Check out the light-up dashboard:

Nice.

Slot Cars
Various Companies
Points 50 | Lists 2 | Highest Ranked: Issun #8 | Favorites: James Bond Goldfinger Racing Set
No Mr. Bond, I expect you to race.

I don’t actually know too much about this particular entry, so here’s a quote from Wikipedia to start us off:

Quote:
A slot car (sometimes, slotcar or track car) is a powered miniature auto or other vehicle that is guided by a groove or slot in the track on which it runs. Slot cars are usually models of actual automobiles, though some have bodies purpose-designed for miniature racing. Most enthusiasts use commercially available slot cars (often modified for better performance), others motorize static models, and some "scratch-build", creating their own mechanisms and bodies from basic parts and materials.

Drivers generally use a hand-held controller to regulate a low-voltage electric motor hidden within the car. Traditionally, each car runs on a separate lane with its own guide-slot (though recently developed digital technology can allow cars to share and change lanes). The challenge in racing slot cars comes in taking curves and other obstacles as fast as possible without causing the car to lose its grip and spin sideways, or to 'deslot', leaving the track altogether.

Some enthusiasts, much as in model railroading, build elaborate tracks, sculpted to have the appearance of a real-life racecourse, including miniature buildings, trees and people. Hobbyists whose main goal is competition often prefer a track unobstructed by scenery.

Model motorcycles, trucks and other vehicles that use the guide-slot system are also generally included under the loose classification of "slot car."
Now what I do know is that from the 60s and onward, you could often get little toy slot car sets that were tied to some particular license. Take, for example, the 1965 Sears/Gilbert James Bond set called out specifically by Issun:

Holy shit! It looks amazing! What kid wouldn’t want that mountain set piece among their collection? But according to the description:

Quote:
“These sets were pushed too quickly to market so they could be sold in time for the Christmas buying season. Because of this they were poorly made and had many problems. Few actually worked.”
I wouldn’t be surprised if many licensed slot car sets were rushed in a similar way. Here’s a few more examples of slot car sets using popular licenses:

Voltron
Popy, Bandai, Matchbox, Panosh Place, Trendmasters, Mattel, Playmates, many more
Points 50 | Lists 2 | Highest Ranked: Daikaiju #2 | Favorites: Pidge
I’ll form the head.

One of the great heralds of 1980s nostalgia, Voltron is an interesting god-beast to approach.
Let’s start by going back in time a little bit, to the 70s and 80s in Japan. Does this look a little bit familiar?

How about this?

Or this?

Don’t they remind you a little bit of Voltron, with its five pilots, five mecha, and single, medieval-weapon-wielding robot man?

The truth is that Beast King Golion and Armored Fleet Dairugger XV – the two Japanese properties that would be mashed together to become what we know as Voltron – were not especially remarkable. They were just two more super robot anime series in a long line of dozens of similar ones, each with its own cast of plucky heroes, evil empires, and special machines that combine in midair amidst bombastic music. And each came with its own gigantic die-cast toy tie-in, because that’s how these anime were produced – some years before deregulation allowed the same type of blatant advertisement to American children.

So when World Events Productions decided to license these two properties and import them, what they inadvertently did was reintroduce us to a time-honored Japanese genre – although we’d had some taste of it in the form of Gigantor for 1960s children and Shogun Warriors for 1970s children.

Oh did I say two properties? Actually, it was three. Lightspeed Electroid Albegas was licensed for a proposed third season of Voltron, but it was never produced. Despite that, Matchbox still released toys of Albegas (branded as “Voltron II”).

Golion became “Voltron III,” and Dairugger became “Voltron I,” with both sold as being part of a shared story universe (but being wholly unrelated in their country of origin). The showrunners, who didn’t speak Japanese, guessed at the plots of the show for the dub, and also edited them to appease conservative American norms of the time. They hired Peter Cullen to deliver the cartoon’s grand opening narration. Both shows were messily linked together, but the first season, featuring Voltron III, was far more popular than Dairugger’s season 2, and the latter was nearly forgotten as even being a part of the brand. Not to mention poor Voltron II.

The toy companies also approached Voltron very differently in the US. Japanese robot toylines focused almost exclusively on the machines, only occasionally branching out into stuff like vehicles and playsets. American kids initially got a selection of Voltron robots from Matchbox, which were imports of the Popy/Bandai chogokin (a fancy sci-fi word for die-cast) versions of the mecha.

Later, Panosh Place got hold of the property, and turned Voltron into a whole thing, with toys of each of the pilots, the villains, the spaceships, the castle – everything. Their version of the mecha featured lions with cockpits for the driver figures to sit inside.

(Note this pic contains some unreleased items, like the evil castle.)

Since the 80s, Voltron has had a few nostalgia-fueled revivals here and there – Trendmasters helmed a shoddy rehash of the Matchbox toyline
and added their own ridiculously bad spin on the titular mecha, and Mattel did a subscription service to assemble an absurdly large homage to the original.

But it wasn’t until Netflix’s 2016 reimagining of the concept that the series found a new audience. As our own Octo has put it (and I’m paraphrasing), Netflix Voltron is as awesome as you remember the 80s show being. As I understand it, it takes many of the core concepts of both Voltron and Golion and melds them along with many new and exciting story elements. Also, the Playmates toys (in stores now!) look pretty damn sweet.

That’s all hearsay for me, though, because if I’m honest, I didn’t really like the first episode of Netflix Voltron, and I haven’t picked it back up.

I await your flames.

Last edited by Dracula; 07-19-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:43 AM
Apply Bertolli, cast FIRE

Quote:
Knight Rider
YUSSSSSS. I didn't think this would rank, but I still hoped it would. I salute you, other KITT voter!

I played with that talking car endlessly. I could give two shits about the Micheal Knight figure, but I drove that car on every flat surface in the house, pressing the license plate constantly. “I shall activate the turbo boost” was my favourite. I used to yell out "Turbo boost, initiated" afterwards. I loved that show, and I loved the toys. My vote for favourite Knight Rider toy was a tough decision between the voice car and the pedal car that I also had, since I was spoiled rotten:

I didn't vote for slot racers, but they were one of the last cuts from my list. I loved playing with them, but it was my uncle who had the cars and tracks, and he didn't like kids messing with them. >_< And honestly, he had reason, since using slot cars requires intelligent feathering of the throttle, and our favourite thing to do was just gun it and send them flying off the track on the corners, and sending my uncle into a rage. Still real fun, though!
Old 10-26-2017, 07:44 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Rest assured, I am glowering so hard right now.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:50 AM
Find Your Reason

Oh man, when I was 6~8, going to the Sears' basement to their GIGANTIC slot car sets was the ultimate prize. They were free to play, and not too complicated --the controller was just a pistol grip with a trigger-- and I was too little to actually get good at them, but there were some teen and adult hobbyists who dominated the scene. Some of them even had their own custom cars, they were that dedicated. The tracks themselves were huge and complex, with bridges, underpasses, and caves, and accommodating up to five cars at once. Even if you messed up, getting a car to fly off the table and halfway across the toy department was always hilarious.

I had a two-car track, I forget the manufacturer. The contact points were soft foil brushes instead of metal plates, so they often got flattened and lost the connection, but it wasn't anything beyond a quick manual fix. That Transformers-themed track was on my Christmas list for at least a couple of years, until it was replaced by a lightgun-operated race track.

As for the Voltrons, I only ever owned a GI Joe-compatible five-piece lion combiner and a programmable, but single piece rover that could only move its arms and roll along a set path. I always coveted a neighbor's die-cast Vehicle Voltron set, which was huge and heavy and could probably dent the hood of an '80s car if dropped.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:10 AM
-ryn

I was the other voter for slot cars. I had no idea the rabbit hole went that deep, though. One of my friends had a cool 2 car track that featured a spot where the inside and outside lanes crossed and a refueling track piece that had a speed and fuel gauge. If you ran out of gas, the car wouldn't go.

I'm about the same as drac in that i know Knight Rider is a show about a talking car and that's about it.

I have no idea what a voltron is. based on the pictures, it looks a bit like the Megazord toy that I wanted growing up. I was super into power rangers and I sort of remember it being the hot toy one christmas and I wanted one so bad, but it was probably expensive and I doubt my dad would have been able to find one anyways because we lived in the middle of nowhere.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:50 AM
Holy Swine

Man, slot cars was a great idea. I wish I had voted for them. Slot cars and electric football were two things that could only be attributed to magic when I was a kid, and both were tons of fun to play around with.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:54 AM
Find Your Reason

I'ma confess: I always believed that if you touched the metal tracks you'd get shocked, so 7yo Zef always assembled his personal slot car track as though it were plutonium.

To date, I still don't know the amperage of that current nor what would happen if you did touch the leads.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Toothsome!

That reminds me of how Privateer Press secured the rights to Votron to make a self-contained board game based on their Monsterpocalypse system.

I really miss Monsterpocalypse
Old 10-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Eelection 2019 Info

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Slot cars are great! We had the Mario Kart 8 GBA remake track that's advertised in the Speed Racer one. We'd race for a really long time and then the cars would stop working and we'd be disappointed and confused. Probably a matter of anodization, knowing how they work. But it was always fun while it lasted.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:07 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I had that Voltron II diecast lion toy. I remember playing hell out of that toy. As the five separate lions and as the combined form. All my memories of it are magical.

Slot cars was another joy. Though for whatever reason, in my house, they only came out during the winter holidays. Same with the model trains.

Tags
ages 30 and up , amiibo are so expensive , batteries not included , brothers in arms , choking hazard , collect em all , each sold separately , everyone knows its slinky , everyone wants a log , fusilateralquintocombiner , nerf this , oh joy best toy , plastic paradise , some assembly required , stuffed animals , top 50 countdown , toys , tyrantcola , weapons do not shoot , weapons really fire