The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Apply Bertolli, cast FIRE

Pronouns: He/Him

That... wasn't my question?
Old 03-04-2019, 09:00 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Oh, you're right! The original rules resting in the forest refreshed everything but that doesn't happen in the updated rules. It looks like he can only refresh 3 items.

EDIT: His tea pots were never exhausted (as far as I can tell), so he can actually refresh 7 items. But, should he have discarded down to 6 items since his bags were damaged? I think things play out differently, but he still wins.

Edit 2: I misunderstood the rules update, I guess it only applies to repairing with a hammer.

Last edited by Patrick; 03-04-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:05 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

9.6.1 in Law of Root says to repair and flip face up during Eveningís Rest. They donít flip up if you use repair as an action, though.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:18 AM
I have a Plan

Evening's Rest not only repairs, but also refreshes everything. (In older versions, repairing with hammers also refreshed stuff, which turned out to be a bit of an oversight balance-wise.)

With 31 VP, Sprite as the Vagabond is the winner of this game of Root!

Here's the last quest we add.

With a lot of multiplayer games based on VP, the big problem tends to come from that it's often very viable to just ignore whatever the other players are doing and just build up your own points engine. This is sometimes called "multiplayer solitaire", and it's a problem a lot of eurogames suffer from.

Root isn't really a eurogame, so that same issue doesn't really apply to it, but it's a very good game at getting players to ditch that mindset and factor in what everyone else is doing. If everyone just does their own thing without really doing anything to slow down the others, then the victory usually goes to either the luckiest player or the player with the most inherent VP gain. Root, being asymmetric, means that if you do want to disrupt how other players are doing, you also have to vary your tactics depending on your opponent.

Those first turns with the Riverfolk Company are a pretty clear indication of how that might go. They got a ton of points early on because players were eager to buy services early, but immediately afterwards, everyone was cautious about giving them really anything to work with, and by the time that caution had worn off, the Eyrie was out of warriors in their supply to work with, the Vagabond had all of their stuff broken, and the Marquise had little use for what remained. I generally consider the Riverfolk Company to be a faction that's on the hard side for new players who have yet to understand the value of each of the services, although Destil did well enough for themselves considering.

There's also the challenge in that disrupting opponents not only costs you something, but it leaves a power vacuum for others to fill. With a similarly-fortunate early turn but no real pressure from others to change up their strategy, Sprite as the Vagabond was able to take an early lead and hold onto it for pretty much the entire game. This isn't really surprising, since again, the Eyrie has a hard time getting to them, the Riverfolk lack the numbers to take them on, and the Marquise has so few actions that devoting one to battling the Vagabond usually cuts into their turns heavily.

None of this is me saying that anyone did badly. Far from it, with what you knew about the game, you all got very close to victory by one more or another. And even if you didn't win, the raw charm in your posts made this fun as hell for me to run, and I'm sure for others to read.

So yeah, thanks for playing!

WOODLAND ALLIANCE 5EVER
Old 03-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Apply Bertolli, cast FIRE

Pronouns: He/Him

Ah, okay. I still haven't looked at the rules because I don't want a BGG account. I was banking on Sprite re-entering play with the majority of his items exhausted, which I thought at least might give the game a prayer of continuing for one more turn. Oh well.

Good game, all! If Sprite hadn't won on his turn then I was going to win on mine, so I was really hoping to get one more turn!

I had a weak start, but I drew that Favor card in the mid-game and then just decided to make that my main goal from there forward, hoping that Destil and Patrick didn't move their forces out of those clearings before I could pop it. I was tempted to go for a Rabbit Dominance victory instead, but the Favor card was just too much fun.

And speaking of fun, this game was a whole bunch of it! Thanks for running it, Kalir!

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be picking up my own copy, because I don't think this game would appeal to the folks I usually play with, but hopefully I'll get the chance to play it again someday!
Old 03-04-2019, 09:24 AM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

Good game!

Three things really kinda hampered my game plan, IMHO.
Not knowing the value of cards
Very little combat going on in places my other services were relevant
Favor of the rabbits hit me very hard

I saw fewer cards than everyone else, had no innate draw mechanic and generally felt like I needed to do things other than draw. JBear said he felt like he had a disadvantage of picking last, but I was the person who got actual last pick. Really I could have costed my initial hand at 3 each, I think, when people had more tokens to spend and they were all bird cards (did't realize the value of that until I had set prices), even if I only sell two I'm still up a card. I wanted to point out several times with buying services that who *always* wins the prisoner's delima? The fucking cops.

As far as positioning really we had the two big factions not really engaging except a side skirmish or two for most of the game. I would have done better building more trading posts spread out and recruiting less to start, I think, so I was less of a target (and without dividends having them be destroyed isn't really a cost). Honestly forgot trade posts came with recruits, as well, so I ended up with a bunch of mercenaries I didn't really use. I should have also taken closer note on JBears Decree (though he had a lot of birds) and maybe smashed an Eyre to put him into turmoil earlier?

The rivers, on this board anyway, only have mouse and rabbit clearings, something else I dind't notice at first. So favor of the rabbits/mice is going to hit the riverfolk pretty hard in a lot of games.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:45 AM
-ryn

from the sidelines, this was a great game to watch. Everyone got into the flavor which makes it so much more enjoyable! The artwork for the game is excellent. I really enjoyed seeing how each faction played differently.

I saw this game at Magfest and the folks playing it were really excited about it and shared some. It was great to see it in this format and watch it all unfold.

Thank you players and Kalir for playing and running.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Outraged!

Yeah that was really fun to watch. Thanks guys!
Old 03-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
EDIT: Also, Sprite: you might want to check out the Better Bot project. Someone took the basic idea of the Mechanical Marquise from the expansion (an automated faction that you can use for an extra player), and made improved versions for every faction. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking forward to playing a few solo games against them.

EDIT 2: Ah, apparently Leder Games brought the BBP guy on board and they are going to be part of the next Kickstarter, with higher quality boards!
That's awesome, and is definitely going to get me to drop some dough on the Kickstarter. I'll have to try a couple of solo games to see how it plays.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:46 PM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

I just played this for the first time today and really enjoyed it! I'd love to get in on the next game, if there is to be one.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I've been reading up on the upcoming expansion and it sounds pretty great. The two new factions both sound fun (I'm especially glad that they're adding another "core" faction that can sub in for the cats or birds), but the new maps are what I'm most excited for. One is a mountain map with two sides separated by a mountain pass, which means if you want to make it to the other side, you have to get through that bottleneck clearing. The other one is a lake map with four quadrants, with a barge you use to move between them. Destil will be happy to know that, when the Riverfolk Company is in play, the barge is removed, and folks have to pay the otters to get around.

They're also both randomized like the Winter map, so that's neat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be picking up my own copy, because I don't think this game would appeal to the folks I usually play with, but hopefully I'll get the chance to play it again someday!
Good news! A digital version is in development.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:45 PM
of the Black Falcons

Yeah, the new maps look cool. Very interested in what Kickstarter options will be available.

And a digital version is great news!
Old 03-14-2019, 07:25 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Kickstarter is up. The replacement faction boards are dirt cheap, so that's good. I backed at the $50 level plus extra for the faction and bot boards. Also, these exist:

Old 03-14-2019, 08:05 AM
of the Black Falcons

I'm split! The new expansion looks great, but I don't care that much about the add ons. I'm happy with the Vagabond meeple that came with the base game, and I don't have the Riverfolk Expansion Vagabond cards anyway. The clearing markers don't seem necessary either. The new deck could be cool but I'm not sure that my group of friends would care. On the other hand, I really want the upgrade pack and automated factions, which each cost extra. There's no additional discount for picking up both expansions either.

So I might hold off for now. I definitely want the Underworld Expansion, since the extra military faction and the new boards look like they add a lot to the game. But, I can pick it up in my local shop and save on shipping. I think I might skip the first expansion for now and maybe just print out the board updates and bots.

The Kickstarter runs for 20 days and they're releasing a bunch of videos and print & play kits, so I'm going to take some time to think it over.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:18 AM
and ermine, too

After 20+ games I never had much use for the mechanical marquise, but it's great to see so much support for new stuff across the board. I'm in for the upgraded player boards and the new factions.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:33 AM
Crazy Old Bird

You could probably back at the $1 and just get the boards if you want. Maybe ask?
Old 03-14-2019, 09:16 AM
and ermine, too

Oh, no worries there - I'm totally on board for the expansion, just not the add-on for the bots (we've played quite a bit with the lizard cult and the riverfolk company already)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:32 AM
of the Black Falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
You could probably back at the $1 and just get the boards if you want. Maybe ask?
Yeah, maybe I should just do the upgrade kit. Per the FAQ:

Quote:
What should I do if I just want the upgrade kit?
You should pledge $1 and we will charge you appropriate shipping through BackerKit.
Seems pretty reasonable.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I'm having a hard time deciphering what I already have from the original KS that this new one is also trying to give me and what I'd actually just need to get the new expansion and content.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:55 AM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I'm having a hard time deciphering what I already have from the original KS that this new one is also trying to give me and what I'd actually just need to get the new expansion and content.
There are no Kickstarter exclusives in this campaign or the original campaign.

If you backed the first Kickstarter, you have Root and The Riverfolk Expansion. Everyone got both of these.

If you purchased the game at retail, you may or may not have The Riverfolk Expansion.

If you back the second Kickstarter, you get The Underworld Expansion, the Exiles & Partisans Deck, and the resin clearing markers.

There are additional pledge levels if you want The Riverfolk Expansion or Root.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:18 PM
of the Black Falcons

I ended up backing this at the last minute. The last time I played, my friends sounded interested in other factions, and my girlfriend encouraged me to treat myself. I really like the new maps and deck, and the additional vagabonds pushed me over the edge.

Plus, Iím getting the Riverfolk and Lizard boards and rules with my upgrade kit. I think Iíll paste the PNP components on cardboard & get some colored cubes to make a cheap version of those factions as well. Itís not ideal, but it makes the cost a little easier to justify.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:43 AM
of the Black Falcons

Brooklyn Game Labs is working on the first official fan faction, Fangus Kahn.

It looks pretty neat, and having a giant snake moving around the forest is very thematic. I don;t think the rules are quite there yet, but they're still working on it and testing out with different faction combinations.

Tags
bad politics never dies , i am root , lets play , redwall , root , the bird is the word