The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Super Nerd

Good news! I happened to find a copy of Dragon Quest V! Bad news! GameStop put the damned used stickers on the fucking insert!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Wretched Fellow

Why in the world do the kids over at Neo GAF call the Magna Carta series "Horse Nipples"?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 PM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
... huh. So, I can't just transfer games licenses across different DSi systems, unlike how I could transfer WiFi information to another DS Lite when my first DS Lite started acting up?
From the sounds of this:
Quote:
There are exceptions to the rule - they are more than happy to transfer those purchases if the original console is in an unplayable condition. They have special kits that enable them to find out what has been downloaded to the DSi without having to turn the system on. They also said that in order for them to transfer from one to another, they need both consoles in their possession.
it sounds like they'll transfer stuff off of a broken DS even if it isn't under warranty. If that's the case, you just need to smash your old hardware when you buy a new one, and then send it in.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:36 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Let's just hope no one here's in a situation where they'd need to use it! And thanks for your thoughts on this thing so far, folks!

So, another little thing: the discussion on UFO catchers in the Atlus thread inspired me to look up the Wikipedia article on claw machines. I didn't know there were certain machines that had programmed payoff percentages; also didn't know there were also certain legal regulations against 'em in certain areas, as they could reasonably be considered gambling machines. Interesting stuff.

And it's a [citation needed] area -- but check out the Claw Cranes in East Asia section from the third paragraph on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjibot View Post
Good news! I happened to find a copy of Dragon Quest V!
Yeah, if my older brother hasn't gotten himself a copy yet, I'm gonna see about getting him one for the next time he's visiting.

Folks, if you have a Micro Center close to you, and if it's in stock there, it should be there for $32. (I don't believe it's listed on the site anymore, though.) DQIV should also be $24.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:46 PM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuyuki View Post
I just naturally give up any thoughts of ownership of any digital content I get the second I buy it. Things just go easier that way. I still have some music I bought on my ipod touch that are just lost in the ether.
That's true of "physical" games, too. It's only by grace of a sturdy battery and SNES that I can play something like "Robotrek," and once my XBox conks out for good that'll be 25 games I can no longer play. I MIGHT consider emulation on something I already owned that no longer works, but that question hasn't come up yet.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Cranky Geezer In Training

I'd been keeping an eye on Team Gizka's inactive page for a long time, so this is a very pleasant surprise: Another team has not only been working on restoring KOTOR 2's unfinished content, but they've just released their mod in open beta. No droid planet, but there's another mod that is working on that and both teams are cooperating to ensure cross compatibility, so once the M4-78 Enhancement Project is out pretty much all the major cuts forced by LucasArts cutting 6 months of dev time off of of KOTOR 2 will be fixed.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brer View Post
I'd been keeping an eye on Team Gizka's inactive page for a long time, so this is a very pleasant surprise: Another team has not only been working on restoring KOTOR 2's unfinished content, but they've just released their mod in open beta. No droid planet, but there's another mod that is working on that and both teams are cooperating to ensure cross compatibility, so once the M4-78 Enhancement Project is out pretty much all the major cuts forced by LucasArts cutting 6 months of dev time off of of KOTOR 2 will be fixed.
Wow, if this all actually happens I can go back and play that game. I never got past the first part.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Loves to overthink.

Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Quote:
Good news! I happened to find a copy of Dragon Quest V! Bad news! GameStop put the damned used stickers on the fucking insert!
Are you SURE it's on the insert? It seems like they realized fairly quickly how stupid that was and have taken to putting the label on a piece of wax paper then slipping it over the insert. That's what happened with Sky Gunner for me, I opened up the case enough to pull it out and that was that.

If it IS on the insert (though DQV seems recent enough to not have been sitting on shelves forever) get something like a business card, get a corner up, and work it off. I've managed to remove I think two of those without harming the cover (definitely God Hand at least).
Old 09-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Cranky Geezer In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by falselogic View Post
Wow, if this all actually happens I can go back and play that game. I never got past the first part.
Well, the M4-78 restoration was already released in mostly finished form. They just haven't done the completed/updated rerelease that will also make it compatible with the more general restored content mod. I'm going to play through these and see what I think, since I enjoyed KOTOR 2 far more than 1 even with it's unfinished portions.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Fluffy Prince

Oregon Trail comes to DSi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
Man, isn't digital distribution awesome?

Quote:
... huh. So, I can't just transfer games licenses across different DSi systems, unlike how I could transfer WiFi information to another DS Lite when my first DS Lite started acting up?

And the same is true with the Wii, if the comments are right?

I don't know, then. I might just wait until the next iterations of hardware for each.

It's still a little worrying, though, that if I were to buy these systems right now -- if they were to break down later at a time when they were out of warranty, or if I were to do an eventual hardware upgrade to the Wii & DSi's successors, that I'd need to pay Nintendo to put any games (or rather, licenses) I've purchased online onto a properly-working or new system, respectively. I really hope this is something Nintendo addresses in future firmware updates. [And yeah, I know, cue pessimist comments about how they never will, etc.]
Have you ever had your Nintendo system repaired in an authorized service center before? (Chances are no considering how Nintendo builds its products, but I have with my GameCube.) They usually send you a replacement "serviced" unit of the exact same model (they then repair the other unit you've just sent in and treat it as another one of their own serviced models). Even back during the "My Nintendo" days, they kepts track over their member's units so they know which ones were serviced or not (they even extended my GameCube's warranty).

Most likely if your DSi has a factory defect or is sent in for repairs, they're most likely to send you a replacement if it's covered by the warranty. What that article says is that you cannot transfer purchases between DSi's, but you can get your DSi replaced with all of your purchases if you have it serviced by them (covered by warranty). Since all of your purchases are done online, they keep track of that through your Club Nintendo account.

I'm just glad I chose the colour black.

Last edited by sfried; 09-30-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Super Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusis View Post
Are you SURE it's on the insert? It seems like they realized fairly quickly how stupid that was and have taken to putting the label on a piece of wax paper then slipping it over the insert. That's what happened with Sky Gunner for me, I opened up the case enough to pull it out and that was that.

If it IS on the insert (though DQV seems recent enough to not have been sitting on shelves forever) get something like a business card, get a corner up, and work it off. I've managed to remove I think two of those without harming the cover (definitely God Hand at least).
Oh yeah, definitely on the paper. The last used game I bought was, as you said, on a slip of paper wedged between. Irritating to say the least. Still, it's DQV and I haven't been able to find it anywhere else. The copies on Amazon are climbing in price and every eBay auction is from hong kong.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
Man, isn't digital distribution awesome?
It can be when things like Jumping Flash 2 are available for $6 on the PSN!

Also what do people think of Um Jammer Lammy 1?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:50 PM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

Lammy is one of my favorite music games ever.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, definitely on the paper. The last used game I bought was, as you said, on a slip of paper wedged between. Irritating to say the least. Still, it's DQV and I haven't been able to find it anywhere else. The copies on Amazon are climbing in price and every eBay auction is from hong kong.
Man, its getting rare now? I thought I had plenty of time to track one down. I better start looking. I'll get to it someday? Oh my poor backlog!
Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Wretched Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Lammy is one of my favorite music games ever.
You just say that because it's got the fat chick from Grey's Anatomy.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:39 AM
delete the world

Pronouns: her/she (kisses)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_AnimeBum View Post
There's not a sequel, so calling it "1" is kind of redundant, first off =p

Anyway, it's alright. The characters and scenario pale next to Parappa and the music and lyrics aren't as good either, but as a game, it feels much more solid. Parappa always made me feel lucky when I actually did it right, while Lammy feels a lot more consistent and is slightly better at letting you know what you did wrong (but still isn't that good at it).

Also, it has a decent co-op mode. You just alternate phrases, but it becomes MUCH harder to fail because the game basically always gives you the benefit of the doubt. For each pair of phrases, only one player needs to do it right to go up (or prevent you from going down). Sure, it's easy, but if you're playing with a friend you don't want it to be all frustrating anyway, and you still have to unlock single-player stages by playing single player.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:05 AM
who's she

Um Jammer Lammy is a mixed bag for me. It lives and dies on the basis of its soundtrack, and while some of the tunes are surprisingly good, a few of them I never want to hear again.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Wretched Fellow

The characters in Lammy weren't nearly as good as the ones from Parappa. I hate the hillbilly lumberjack and retarded airplane pilot.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:16 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Holy shit, GOG has the whole "The Incredible Machine" series up now for $10. I loved those games when I was a kid.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Hawkguy

arrrggghhh Band Hero has "Mr. Roboto" how can I not get it now
Old 10-01-2009, 08:20 AM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Holy shit, GOG has the whole "The Incredible Machine" series up now for $10. I loved those games when I was a kid.
Man, I remember keeping myself entertained for hours on the free demos alone for those games. I also kinda remember some of the puzzles being obtuse, though.

Of course, this was something like fifteen years ago; I'd need to see how they've aged.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Wretched Fellow

Is Digger HD on PSN any good? I can't find any reviews of it.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 AM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_AnimeBum View Post
I played it through once, enjoyed it for the couple hours it lasted, tried to go back to it years later, found that once was plenty.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:14 AM
so exciting!

I downloading the Half-Minute Hero Evil Lord 30 demo. I like the tone of the game, and I'm pretty excited for the full version. Now if they'll only put up the Princess 30 demo, I'll be in heaven.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Wretched Fellow

Can anyone give me some information on Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga? I know it's reviewed kind of badly, but I'm not able to determine if this is just a niche game getting thrown under the bus or if it's actually a bad product.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Super Nerd

This is a spectacularly awesome tee shirt.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Man, I remember keeping myself entertained for hours on the free demos alone for those games. I also kinda remember some of the puzzles being obtuse, though.

Of course, this was something like fifteen years ago; I'd need to see how they've aged.
Pretty well. The original is still great, I play it every now and then, still get stumped. I bought one of the later (non-Tunnell) Windows CD releases back a few years ago but it never worked quite right, and hadn't played any of the intervening ones.

EDIT: Re: DSi Oregon Trail: it's not the original with a new skin.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:21 PM
A No.1

So since The Shivah was free last weekend or something, people / podcasts have been talkin' about it and I'm really digging the sound of it - since, y'know, I like mysteries and I'm, er, exploring the Jewish Faith, in a manner of speaking. Wish I hadn't missed the free game, but hey, $5 ain't bad.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Set phasers to hug

Palm, I'd like you to meet face. Face, palm.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:57 PM
What Time Is It?

Hey guys I really like Um Jammer Lammy, but have never played a Parappa game, which I should probably hunt down once I'm in money again.

Tags
all the games , news , not worth its own thread , snippets , thread shortage