The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIt's Mondaaaaay!

Balrog, are you ready to share more of your talents with the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
[...] Famitracker is really fun to use once you get the hang of it. I used to play around with it and I'll use it again when I start making music for my game. If I remember right it has a MIDI converter that's pretty useful.
Yeah, I've actually been playing around with FamiTracker for at least a couple of years now, in a scattered on-&-off fashion. It's just that, after putting it off for so long for other things, and afterward toying around with instrument and track settings for quite a while, I finally decided within the past several months to hunker down and actually compose some tunes. I actually did finally complete something in mid-late September; I felt really proud of myself at the time, thinking that my short looping piece sounded polished, complex, & dramatic -- and then I walked away from it for two days, listened to it again, and realized it was a disorganized, convoluted mess. Kind of like a lot of my posts, sadly!

Even now, I'm still learning a lot, in terms of using built-in effects such pitch slides & portamento effects; manually inputting effects like echo/reverb and duty-cycle switching; and most importantly, getting a better hang of making good compositions. I feel I'm getting much better at putting out a somewhat-complex and moderately-shiny sound -- but by far the most difficult thing for me right now is making different parts of a song that, as a whole, flow together well.

I'm actually kinda happy with how these last couple of compositions of mine are turning out, as a result of more practice -- even if they're not completely perfect. Still, I might actually be able to post a couple of things by at least early next month.

So, more of you out there posted desires to get started with, or complete, your own projects. Everyone else who posted here -- how are the rest of you going toward own goals? [Best to post at least something, whether or not you're happy with your own progress -- even if it's just to say you have yet to start or resume on what you want to do! Just keep us, and more-importantly yourself, afloat on how you're doing!]
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Evocative

I'm actually doing well with my "getting exercise and losing weight" resolution. I've been going to the gym and hitting up the erg machine almost every day. People tell me the weight loss has been noticeable; I certainly find that I have less flab on certain parts of my body.

Alas, my book reading has declined - I've only read three books thus far this year. This is subpar for me. Maybe I should just rack up a bunch of short books - There's something very satisfying about novellas and short novels. Then again, it's also great to read really long books once in a while, and I do want to read and discuss 2666. Choices, choices...
Old 01-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Here's the sprites I did during the last two weeks.
I'm uploading a video of an earlier build of the game now. I'm still working out the kinks on the rewrite so it'll be a bit before I post anything interesting gameplay-wise :|
Old 01-24-2009, 02:00 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

... huh. I think I might actually be done with one of my 2a03 pieces. It's a short 38 second looping piece, but I've given it a couple days, and -- yeah, I'm actually happy with how it's turned out.

I'm gonna wait until I can get one or two more pieces done, so that I can offer a bit of variety in what I post. In this way, after I complete another piece and learn what I can from that, I can also go back and see if there's anything else I can apply to this first piece.

In other news, I've continued trying to generate samples with the KORG DS-10. It's still been pretty hard trying to make a snare drum sample I've actually been happy with -- and I've also been trying to figure out how to make a good timpani, too. In the process of attempting the timpani, though, I did inadvertently make a pretty nice harp. I also somehow made a sample that sounds like a high-pitched, slightly-out-of-tune sitar.

I've also identified one of my problems in why it takes me so long to complete any sort of creative projects: I've noticed that I tend to spend too much time observing what I've completed so far, admiring it & yet being too afraid to add to it or complete it, for fear of ruining it. In the same vein, I've been spending way too much time planning my next courses of action, when what I really need to just do is do something and learn from whatever mistakes I make.

It's not quite as bad for digital projects, where I can keep several save files of the same project & return to one of 'em if I don't like how I've progressed -- though that aforementioned problem still somehow exists. It's even worse for more-tangible projects where it isn't quite as easy to undo mistakes. What's frustrating is that, if I'm working toward a set deadline, I cause myself (or at least have caused myself) to cram all my work toward the very end, which results in a sloppier project than if I had just decided on a course of action earlier; I've also managed to deprive myself of sleep & skip meals. So, it is a form of procrastination -- but not out of a lack of desire to do work, but more out of a fear of making a wrong decision when I do have time to make it.

[Come to think of it -- this problem was also true of open-ended homework assignments.]

So what I need to do is just force myself to decide on a course of action, and do it. Even if I end up making mistakes, I think I'll be overall much more productive that way, and learn a hell of a lot more about how to do things the right way.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Just get Fraps for a video, you can capture 30 second clips for free.
Does anyone know of a good converter from avi to google video/youtube? I've tried uploading to both and they both give me a failure message after they process it :'(
Old 01-26-2009, 02:48 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

... huh. Now, I haven't used any video upload services just yet -- but just to throw something out there, does it matter which codec your AVI file is using?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:26 PM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

Have to finish a 40-page (approximately) comic compilation before Animaritime (early March). I'm doing this to see if I can actually write coherent comics and/or meet a deadline. Also, I can get my name out there and possibly make some money (not bloody likely).
Old 01-26-2009, 04:37 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
... huh. Now, I haven't used any video upload services just yet -- but just to throw something out there, does it matter which codec your AVI file is using?
Yes, it will matter what codec the video is in. Not that I can be any more helpful like with details about which services can handle which codecs.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:34 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Well then -- Balrog, I think you might be able to try VirtualDub to experiment and see if a certain codec might work.

EDIT: And I've only found these three help pages on YouTube, which relay about the same information.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 PM

What you need to do is go to this topic and read either of the first two guides.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Thanks, I won't be able to figure the video thing out today so I'll just post screenshots :|

Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Well, you can only work with what properly works for you. In any case, though, it's cool to see a few screenshots!

So, a few questions:
1) Are the colors in this most-recent tileset finalized? I'm just noticing that a few in the first set of tiles you posted, at the start of this thread, seem to use a greater number of colors per tile.

2) Are you planning on setting a quantifiable color limit per tile, and maybe have a goal of a general color limit per screen? Or would you consider that too arbitrary?

3) Do you already have a general idea for game mechanics?
Old 01-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
So, a few questions:1) Are the colors in this most-recent tileset finalized? I'm just noticing that a few in the first set of tiles you posted, at the start of this thread, seem to use a greater number of colors per tile.
I'm sticking to the NES palette but not the color restrictions per tile. Some of the tiles in the current screenshots look a little bland but modified versions with grass growing on them, decay, etc. will be later in the level. I'll probably put another coat of paint on some of the tiles once I start gearing towards a completed level.
Quote:
2) Are you planning on setting a quantifiable color limit per tile, and maybe have a goal of a general color limit per screen? Or would you consider that too arbitrary?
Probably 5 colors + clear per tile.
Quote:
3) Do you already have a general idea for game mechanics?
SMB2 with more emphasis on puzzles and boss battles is what I'm aiming for.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Sudden chomper

I like the mermaid statue. Busty!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I like the mermaid statue. Busty!
All the women will be big gals. PROMISE!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

I haven't done crap this week outside of a few bug fixes. I blame E.D.F. 2017 for sidetracking me.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

I am about 1/3 done with the first chapter of my book. I wrote 2 whole front/back pages yesterday, and I've just gotta type them up to see how many real printed pages that is.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

So I listened again to the short looping piece I made, after giving myself a while of not listening to it -- and I feel it could be punchier still, so I might see what I can do with more duty-cycle accents. Another longer piece I've been making -- well, I've been forming a better idea of how I want the piece to sound; it's just a matter of putting the notes down and polishing 'em up.

I also haven't been working on things as much in the past week. Been busy with other things, and I occupied myself with games that I'd been putting off playing, especially so I could contribute to some Fun Clubs.

And things are going to be busier now -- so what I think I'm going to have to do is, instead of larger blocks of time devoted to this sort of thing, I'm going to find little 10 to 15 minute blocks of time in which I can work on these projects. In this way, I think I can also take my mind off the work I've just done, come back to it later, and see what I think of with a fresher mind.

I also have other goals to fit in too -- as with most everyone else here, I'm gonna need to work out more. I'm starting to get some flab, and I'd also like more energy throughout the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
I am about 1/3 done with the first chapter of my book. I wrote 2 whole front/back pages yesterday, and I've just gotta type them up to see how many real printed pages that is.
Awesome stuff.

Quote:
I haven't done crap this week outside of a few bug fixes. I blame E.D.F. 2017 for sidetracking me.
Great & important that you're willing to acknowledge it.

Now, are you back on track, or what can you do to get there?

Last edited by Warg; 02-02-2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added comment to rei -- and I think I oughta start commenting to more people here, too.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I'm going to work on programming enemy/puzzle stuff tonight. It should be fun but I've been putting it off because that's what I do.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
Looking at cars in the last couple days made me realize that I need to learn to drive a manual shift.

I have no clue how I'm going to do that as no one I know here owns one, but I assume a driving school will do something like that? Or would they just laugh me out of the office?
There are two driving schools in town. One doesn't have a website and the other doesn't look promising for learning stick but I sent them an email so I can say I tried. Anyway, there's a ton of videos online so I'll just do that, but behind-the-wheel training is best and I'd rather it wasn't in a car I just bought!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I added some small highlights to the gold tiles. Give me some feedback, plz.

Also, which of these do you prefer?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:12 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

I think the gold tiles could stand to have thinner borders and maybe a slightly less cheese-like hue, but you've got a good thing going with them. As for the pink things, I guess it depends what you're using them for.

This year, to start with, I will make something in the next 7DRL contest, and also get accepted to grad school.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

If you put all four pink things in an animated loop it looks like it's mellllltinnnnngg....

A melting... jellyfish brick? Sure.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Comprehends Words

Hell I plan to do this every year so I'd better post this so I can shame myself into actually doing it.

Goal: Gear up for at least the level 2, preferably the level 1, JLPT by the end of the year. Create a blog for said project to keep myself honest.

...pray to god.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Swag Brotagonist

Quote:
I added some small highlights to the gold tiles. Give me some feedback, plz.

Also, which of these do you prefer?
The highlights look good, makes the tiles look less flat.

As for the purple things; Starting from the left, I like 1 and 3.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:21 AM
I'll sleep when I'm dead

My main goal is to finish this doll I started about two years ago, and have it in my art show in June.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Gettin' dizzy

I like the 4th purple dude because he reminds me of a pacman ghost and theres nothing wrong with that.
Actually its because the stripe looks like a mouth, and on the others the multiple stripes dont.

Oh and I think the tiles look pretty good now, but the king needs some sort of jumping animation instead of "walkin" on air.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Comprehends Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Nicolai View Post
My main goal is to finish this doll I started about two years ago, and have it in my art show in June.
That's super neat, K! Just sayin'
Old 02-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

I got bored and did some animating tonight.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:52 AM
I'll sleep when I'm dead

I like the melty one!