The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 10-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Default Feedback Wanted!

I shelved the RPG I was working on for the time being and I've been working on a smaller platformer with a much smaller scope. If you have Windows, try downloading and running the BugGame.exe file located in the zip here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Bug%20Game.zip

I've only tried it on two of my PCs so I'm not sure if it'll work on anyone else's :'(

There's no sound atm and the graphics are placeholder, I'm really just looking for feedback on the controls and on the different suits right now. For example:

How does the speed of everything feel?

Is the character slippery enough/too slippery?

Does it feel floaty?

Does the grasshopper suit jump too high? Should it be gimped somehow? I'm contemplating not letting you walk as the grasshopper.

It's still pretty early in development so any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

The framerate's pretty bad
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 PM

The jump has a weird feeling on the top half of it. Like, max jump feels weird, but half jump/quarter jump is fine. I can't tell if the rate of ascent is the same throughout the jump or if it starts faster then slows down.

I'll have better feedback later.

also fix the framerate
Old 10-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

It ran fine on my machine but that version was the debug version which is slower than the release version. It didn't matter on my machine. I'll try uploading the other version later :\
Old 10-16-2013, 10:19 AM

hey click here
Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
lol
Old 10-16-2013, 11:41 AM

"BugGame.exe" didn't run for me. It started the shell window in the linked image, hanged, and then crashed with a standard error message.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Thanks for your patience.

Try this plz: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gGameDemo2.zip
Old 10-16-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Playing through demo 2, the speed of movement feels fine. No real complaints here (although an optional run button would be boss)
Quote:
This is hard to tell right now. Is it slippery? Yes. Is it too slippery? That depends on the type of jumps you plan on having the player do.
Quote:
Does it feel floaty?
Yes. See previous comment about the jump height
Quote:
Does the grasshopper suit jump too high? Should it be gimped somehow? I'm contemplating not letting you walk as the grasshopper.
Yes, jumps off the gosh darned screen. If there was vertical scrolling that might be fine though.

Also wtf does the blue powerup do?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Chaotic Good

Pronouns: he / him

Having to jump up and get crystals after punching a box is a little annoying. Not sure what would be better, though, without just making them coins.

I have a hard time commenting on controls overall because my controller isn't hooked up at the moment. What's run on a keyboard?
Old 10-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
Ran smooth on my PC, nothing felt janky or too smooth.

Quote:
Right now feels great so long as the level design is built around it, as Rei said.

Quote:
Does it feel floaty?
Expanding on what Rei said, the beginning of the jump arc doesn't really look or feel like so much like 'jumping' so much as it does the beginning of a flight ability, like I'm going to be able to continue to fly around if I keep holding the jump button (I'm imagining one of those community theater performances of Peter Pan where the kid raises his hand and a couple of strings lift him up by the shoulders). It's not very tactile the way I'm used to with retro platformers, but I got used to it after a couple seconds and eventually didn't notice it unless I was trying.

Quote:
Others have said it, but yes. Again echoing Rei, but vertical scrolling could help considerably, especially if levels are designed with the suit in mind with alternate paths and hidden areas and junk.

Quote:
On a similar note like that jump arc, snail shells feel like they accelerate too slowly on being kicked. I'm used to Mario where I keep moving after I kick a shell because the shell just zooms away from my feet. Here when I kick it, it almost feels like I could run into the shell while it's moving, and visually it looks as if I'm pushing the shell rather than kicking it away from my character sprite.

It's a really solid base. I like the whole 'Mario but with some twists' (suits work different than expected, snail shell 'popping up' on beetle enemy, etc.) You can see a lot of potential just messing with people's expectation of how the game is 'supposed' to work. In ways, it feels like a good follow up to Crescent Isle considering how that turned Mario 2 mechanics on their head. Excited to see where it goes.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I've got a READ_ME.txt added now but here's the controls:

Controls:
Space - Jump (press jump again after jumping to float...if you're using the butterfly suit)
F - Run
Arrow keys - move around and stuff
Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 PM

why would you name it that

who reads the read me
Old 10-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Just tried it out for a bit, it's a nice solid base, though getting a controller working would be nice (and with Monogame, it's not too bad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
Speed feels pretty good, though the run speed with the slippery controls makes it a little fast for me.

Quote:
Feels slippery, and if you're going for a more Mario type game, it's probably fine.

Quote:
Does it feel floaty?
A little floaty.

Quote:
Honestly with how fast the upward acceleration is, having a high jump height didn't feel like it was too overpowered, though like others have mentioned, it really needs some vertical scrolling to feel a little better.

Quote:
For the butterfly suit, it'd be nice if you could float if you held down the button at the top height of the jump, though that's more because of the keyboard controls, it'd be fine as is on a controller.

There's also some weird alpha channel issues when you jump high enough to hit/cover the score area, you get the background, but I assume that's due to the placeholder stuff.

Other than that, it seems like it's the start to a very fun game.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

New version here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gGameDemo4.zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANGE_LOG.txt
resolved issue with alpha channel with player/score area
increased speed of rolling roly poly
butterfly wing layer fix
increased jump height when running
monkeyed heavily with walk speed, run speed, and velocity
fixed issue with roly poly direction not changing when hit from above
fixed some corner cases with collision
fixed issue with roly poly (rolled up) hitting brick from below
Pressing the 5 key (not on the num pad) brings up or removes a small debug dialog with position/velocity info
Upped skidding when running (a little ) or at top speed walking (a smaller amount)
I addressed some issues people had and made a few other changes. The grasshopper stuff is unchanged for the most part. I messed with the player physics quite a bit but it still feels off but I can't really tell why, I've stared at it too long. Further feedback appreciated
Old 10-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Gave the new version a shot. I think it feels better overall, but I agree that there's something that I can't quite place that feels off. I think a little bit of it is that you ramp up to run speed really quickly and part of it is the jump arc. I'll try some Mario and other platformers in the next couple of days and see if I can pinpoint what exactly feels different about the controls.

I did like the new implementation of the crystals, and I think the base is solid enough to make a fun game.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:39 AM
Rawrther.

I agree that the jumps feel a little off. Otherwise, I like the character speed/movement. The skidding feels pretty good. I wonder if maybe's the hangtime is a little off in the jump? But I'm not sure honestly.

Also, I don't know if you intend the player to be able to run over 1-block spaces, like in Mario, but I noticed the koopa-esque bug could after I hit it, so I tried it too. You almost can, and I kinda did once, but most of my attempts just ended with me stuck in the 1-block space until I jumped out. Not falling through the space, oddly enough.

No idea if that's a mechanism you even intended but thought I'd throw it out there in case.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changelog
added dash to beetle suit
added hollow tiles and water bug 1 & 2
added a bunch of stages and stuff
reworked the main sprite sorta
added attack from underneath code (via breakable bricks)
added bouncing ladybugs
added new water walkers
New demo here!

I've been working on this off and since the last demo. I've got 12 stages in the demo now where they'll probably be in the final version. All the graphics are still placeholder :'( The very last stage is missing a new enemy I'm still working on so it'll feel kinda barren.

If there's anything you want to point out specifically about the levels I've included screenshots here if you want to take a red marker to my mess.

Anyway, feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

New demo here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gGameDemo6.zip

It's still pretty short (like 12 stages) but I'm not planning on doing much else on this outside of redoing sprites and such. Let me know what you think!