The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 03-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
I've also externalized almost every item and variable in the game so it should be pretty moddable once I put it out and everyone hates it :'(
Whatever! This is awesome!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

I've got so many board game ideas on the brain (around ten, possibly more, in varying states of design) that I will be kicking myself if I don't get one of them protyped this summer. I'm not sure if it will be the card-based dexterity game or the zombie dungeon crawl first. The former's more interesting to me but the later is more fully fleshed out. We'll see which one I pick, while also starting some preliminary tests for the deckbuilding RPG which is where my passion really lies.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I clicked on this thread because I thought its title was FISHING time and I was going to find engaging discussion about lures...

my disappoint.

It is boundless!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Fancy Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
I've got so many board game ideas on the brain (around ten, possibly more, in varying states of design) that I will be kicking myself if I don't get one of them protyped this summer. I'm not sure if it will be the card-based dexterity game or the zombie dungeon crawl first. The former's more interesting to me but the later is more fully fleshed out. We'll see which one I pick, while also starting some preliminary tests for the deckbuilding RPG which is where my passion really lies.
Zombie dungeon crawl board game! You have succeeded, good sir, I am intrigued.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

It's weird, because when I was initially spitballing the ideas for that game, I was really excited. But now I'm not so much, mainly because I don't really like zombies. But whatever, I think I'll still give it a shot, because I have a near-complete design.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:10 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

For the sake of regularity: a new video.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

That is looking really cool! Do you start with one character and find more in the dungeon, or start with full party,or is it a solo affair?

Also, the numbers that pop out need to be really large, and the "Miss" blends in with the floor color in those areas. Maybe make it larger with a black outline. The numbers should probably have a black outline too.

I can't wait to see more!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfir View Post
Make clothes for my daughter.
So far I've made two pieces. A brown Rennfest style dress and a black and red ladybug inspired skirt with matching hair ribbon. I just cut out the fabric for a pink and white dress using a fabric that was a little more expensive than I like but I fell in love with the stuff. I'll be watching the sale flyers each week hoping that collection gets discounted more (currently 30% off but most are upwards of $12/yd.) Though at her size, most of the patterns only use a yard total.

Oh yeah I also turned one of my old t-shirts into a nightdress. I have two more to convert and I'll probably try to get those done this week since it's finally warming up.

Last edited by Elfir; 04-01-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
That is looking really cool! Do you start with one character and find more in the dungeon, or start with full party,or is it a solo affair?

Also, the numbers that pop out need to be really large, and the "Miss" blends in with the floor color in those areas. Maybe make it larger with a black outline. The numbers should probably have a black outline too.

I can't wait to see more!
There's going to be 4 characters to start but I haven't done their sprites yet. My plan is to have other characters in the tower and you can rescue them. Once you do that you can't play as them but you can apprentice under them to unlock new classes.

Yeah, I was planning on making the numbers more the like ones on the title screen but I haven't gotten around to it.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 PM
I'll sleep when I'm dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfir View Post
So far I've made two pieces.
Pics! I only really sew for Felix for Halloween or cons, but if I had a girl she'd be up to her eyeballs in ruffley dresses.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 PM
has a big dumb face

The big project for me is going to be researching and writing my master's thesis, and defending it by the end of the year. Along with that I need to stick with my blog about researching and writing my thesis, because I have Big Plans for it and I've spent a lot of time Talking it Up to people, so I need to not lose interest like every other attempt I've made at blogging.

I also need to put my Blue Snowball microphone to work and actually start recording a podcast with blink pen.

I haven't done much game design or fiction in the last four years, and I'd like to fix both of those. I would like to really get to work on a card game I've been mulling over for the last two years or so. I've also had an idea for a story inspired by the Cask of Amontillado and a Dream Theater song.

Oh, and actually write and run some D&D adventures.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 PM
do-do-doo do-doo

I would like to start a blog. I have ideas for some videogame things I want to write about that share a common theme, but I'm not sure if I want that to be the sole focus, or if I'll also want to write about other stuff.

Quote:
For the sake of regularity: a new video.
Will the characters in battle be animated at all eventually? I think it would look great if that guy just kinda swung his arms up and down when he attacks.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:32 AM
has a big dumb face

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakman View Post
I would like to start a blog. I have ideas for some videogame things I want to write about that share a common theme, but I'm not sure if I want that to be the sole focus, or if I'll also want to write about other stuff.
I think having some kind of theme is the key. You can talk about a variety of stuff, but if you can tie it together, coming up with things to talk about is a lot easier. Otherwise you have so much to talk about you can't start.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Will the characters in battle be animated at all eventually? I think it would look great if that guy just kinda swung his arms up and down when he attacks.
Yeah, eventually. I'm splitting my time between the programming side and the graphics so it just depends on what I focus on, I guess.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:51 PM
do-do-doo do-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmejeed View Post
I think having some kind of theme is the key. You can talk about a variety of stuff, but if you can tie it together, coming up with things to talk about is a lot easier. Otherwise you have so much to talk about you can't start.
Yeah, that does make sense. Another issue (which has kept me from starting this in the past) is that each of these ideas will involve playing one of these games pretty extensively, for 'research,' as well as capturing screens, likely involving taking digital photos of a CRT TV, which probably won't have great results. I worry that in the middle of this process, I will become enthusiastic about a new idea which does not fit into the theme, but I guess I should ignore that.

I think what I need to do is try to plot out each of these ideas, and what it will take to get something out of each of them. If I can write the first part of a thing without having to play the game much at all, I think getting myself started will be worth it, even if I then have to play through the entire game to write the other part(s).
Old 04-02-2013, 04:03 PM

A little fashion show:

Woot shirt as a nightgown, garb dress, and ladybug skirt (with store bought shirt)

With the classic "why do you have the camera out" expression!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 PM
has a big dumb face

Quote:
I worry that in the middle of this process, I will become enthusiastic about a new idea which does not fit into the theme, but I guess I should ignore that.
I wouldn't ignore it, but either write it, if it's short enough to not distract you from the main project, or write the idea down in an idea file, and come back to it when it won't get in the way.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

I got some stuff done this month. I got the new characters in and some basic leveling up for the players and the enemies but the balance is way off, like the enemies don't do damage, LOL. My damage calculation and speed calculation are pretty basic compared to other RPGs but balance is further down the trough.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM
do-do-doo do-doo

Quote:
I got some stuff done this month. I got the new characters in and some basic leveling up for the players and the enemies but the balance is way off, like the enemies don't do damage, LOL. My damage calculation and speed calculation are pretty basic compared to other RPGs but balance is further down the trough.
The hourglasses are a great idea.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Ha ha, thanks. I'm trying to make everything as Ancient Greecey as possible.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Quote:
That looks pretty great, looking forward to seeing the final product. I love how the party can all attack at the same time.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Horrendous Space Kablooie

This is super cool, dude. I'm really excited to see how it shapes up. I can't believe how much stuff you seem to have gotten done in just a few months.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisel View Post
That looks pretty great, looking forward to seeing the final product. I love how the party can all attack at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeZee View Post
This is super cool, dude. I'm really excited to see how it shapes up. I can't believe how much stuff you seem to have gotten done in just a few months.
Thanks, guys!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM
has a big dumb face

I just finished making a play test version of a card game I've been working on for a couple weeks (not the one I mentioned earlier in this thread). Now I get to actually play test it, which is further than most of my games have gotten in the past!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

New stuffs
Old 07-29-2013, 10:50 AM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

It's really cool, seeing it come together!

One thing, though -- are there going to be tweaks to the lettering? Some of the letters seem a bit hard to differentiate at first glance.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
It's really cool, seeing it come together!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
One thing, though -- are there going to be tweaks to the lettering? Some of the letters seem a bit hard to differentiate at first glance.
I wasn't planning on it but I'm not married to it either. If I can find one that fits my short list of requirements that is better, I'll change it. BTW, are there any particular letters that stand out as being hard to read?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I shelved the RPG for the time being because it's too big and it's taking forever and I've been working on this for a few weeks.