The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 07-16-2018, 10:17 AM
YOU FOOL??

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Music fan, help: I'm going to the Pixies-Weezer concert and I need to up my pixies knowledge. I have Doolittle and Bossanova. Tell me what I else I most need to know to properly appreciate the rock show. Thanks!
Get Surfer Rosa and Come on Pilgrim and you're set. (Trompe le Monde is skippable, imo, and everything after that has been minus Kim Deal, so why even bother.)
Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
Get Surfer Rosa and Come on Pilgrim and you're set. (Trompe le Monde is skippable, imo, and everything after that has been minus Kim Deal, so why even bother.)
Because Indie Cindy is fantastic.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:32 PM
on a break

Pronouns: He him

Listened to some at work, and yes, Surfer Rosa is way better than Trompe, at least to me in a short sitting.

The thing about Pixies is they seem like they would be a good live band to see without a ton of knowledge because the vocals are pretty screamy and the guitars are crunchy and I don't think I'll be missing out too much by not knowing all the words to every song, lol.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:56 PM
hang high, soft star

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Going see Smashing Pumpkins on Monday night. I'm starting to have an excite.
The way Corgan has been treating the whole D'Arcy thing makes me not at all sad that I'm missing out on seeing them on the reunion tour. Dudes always been a prick, that's not news, but apparently they've been editing her AND Auf Der Maier from the video footage on the tour and I'm just like fuck off dude [Corgan].
Old 07-19-2018, 07:50 AM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Smashing Pumpkins was a great show with probably the perfect setlist. There's songs I'd have liked to hear but it's a hard list to quibble with, and it was already 3 hours as it was.

I'm not sure about D'arcy footage being removed or not. There's a few bits where parts of the music video are displayed, fairly briefly, woven in with a lot of new non-video footage recorded for the tour. I don't recall seeing D'arcy or Melissa. I also don't care; I have no opinion of the neverending feud between Billy and D'arcy. In terms of the music, they played the hits and then some, with an interesting cover of Space Oddity and a pretty damn good cover of Stairway to Heaven. They also played some B-Side-OST-only stuff like Eye, Drown, and The Beginning is The End is The Beginning. There were a few welcome but curious choices like To Sheila and Try, Try, Try.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Just wanted to add to the pile of reports that Janelle Monae in concert is fucking magical. I may have cried several times.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:26 AM
Bob

Just bought tickets to toe and Kamasi Washington concerts here in Chicago. Super pumped to see some of my favorite bands live!
Old 07-28-2018, 08:32 AM
on a break

Pixies and Weezer was FUCKING RAD. I'm not super familiar with Pixies, but they played an impressive, stripped down set of stuff mostly (entirely?) from their early albums.

Weezer is not touring a new album, so they made a set of greatest hits and fan favorites and random ass covers (Africa, Happy Together, Take on Me, and snips of Geenday, Nirvanna, and Black Sabeth that I noticed). Also, a few set dressings and Rivers changing shirts off shage. It really felt like they were having more fun than I've ever seen them trying to tour their less popular later albums. They even had pyro and flame canons!
Old 07-28-2018, 01:07 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Pixies and Weezer was FUCKING RAD. I'm not super familiar with Pixies, but they played an impressive, stripped down set of stuff mostly (entirely?) from their early albums.

Weezer is not touring a new album, so they made a set of greatest hits and fan favorites and random ass covers (Africa, Happy Together, Take on Me, and snips of Geenday, Nirvanna, and Black Sabeth that I noticed). Also, a few set dressings and Rivers changing shirts off shage. It really felt like they were having more fun than I've ever seen them trying to tour their less popular later albums. They even had pyro and flame canons!
That's good to hear!

I almost bought tickets to this show because they're coming to NOLA but, while I would love to see The Pixies again, the venue is outdoors in the Louisiana Satan heat and, honestly, the only thing I'd want to hear live from Weezer is contained in the blue album.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:48 PM
on a break

At least at our show they opened with Buddy Holly, closed with Say it Ain't So, and probably played half or more of the blue album. There's lots of setlist sites if you want to give a look at what they have been playing.

FWIW, they sound great right now and even songs I'm not as big on sounded good live.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:44 PM
nothing spatial

So, I don't go to concerts very often but I've gone to a few over the years. The absolute best concert I've ever been to was Fear Factory.

My friend and I showed up at the venue but they weren't letting people in yet (we got there 2 hours early), so to kill time, she and I went to a nearby laser tag place for some reason. So we played some laser tag for an hour or so and went back. By that time everyone and their grandmother (there was literally someone there with their grandmother who was a fan, I'm not kidding), showed up and the venue was at capacity and we were denied entry.

So we stood outside by a set of doors that were right next to the stage and we could still hear the music pretty clearly. It wasn't ideal but I planned to sit there outside the club and listen to the entire show.

After the first song, one of the concert attendees had to leave, they exited out that door, which again was right next to the stage and therefore, the band. Burton (singer of Fear Factory) saw us standing out there when the door opened, stopped the concert, asked us why we were standing out there and when we told him we couldn't get in, he told us to come in because there was still a little space next to the stage and he offered to pay for our admittance out of the band's concert revenue for the night (he got the OK from the band first). Everyone agreed, we went in.

It was a super nice and classy thing to do and it made me feel important even though I wasn't in the least. I had always been a big Fear Factory fan, and this went along with other stories I had heard about how well they treated their fans.

So we went in and the concert was amazing. This was in 1998 when they were touring in support of their Obsolete album, so most of the songs played were from that and from Demanufacture. In fact they played almost the entirety of both albums and did include at least one from their first album as well.

The crowd that was there to see them were a very nice, very positive group of people. The whole thing was an amazing experience.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:00 PM

@Tiers in Rain. That is very nice story.

In a similar vein, my favorite show was Pearl Jam at the United Center in 2009. PJ has experimented a lot over the years with their fan club seating. In 2009, they distributed fan club tickets by seniority except rows 1, 2, 9, and 10 which were random. I walked up to the fan club ticket booth and got my tickets: Row 10 seat 10. A total surprise to me.

I'm going to see the Smashing Pumpkins when they come to St.Paul MN. I'm super excited.

Some talk of Billy Corgan earlier. My own two cents on Billy: Like Walt Disney or Steve Jobs, he has a vision and he is uncompromising in pursuing that vision. I think the relationship with D'arcy is a casualty of this vision. I wish D'arcy were part of the reunion as well, but I'm going to enjoy the show with this version of the Smashing Pumpkins.

Additionally, Jimmy Chamberlin is the best drummer I have every seen. Its always a treat to see him live.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:29 AM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voncaster View Post
Additionally, Jimmy Chamberlin is the best drummer I have every seen. Its always a treat to see him live.
Saw them two weeks ago and Jimmy is at the top of his game for sure. He's up there with Brann Dailor or Danny Carey in terms of modern rock drummers.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Saw them two weeks ago and Jimmy is at the top of his game for sure. He's up there with Brann Dailor or Danny Carey in terms of modern rock drummers.
was the seating all the way to the stage? I got a ga ticket but it was with a seat...i injured my arm anyway so what wouldve annoyed me a few weeks back seems like relief now.

only seen jimmy once at the 20th anniversary (10 years already?), he was great. peeps shit on the kid that they used on oceania but i saw two shows from that era including one where he more than held his own doing Geek usa.

billys a prolific songwriter thats captured a ton of different styles and written interesting musings on internaled, insecure anger throughout his body of work in a unique way. despite his own efforts you cant take that away. Also, i own the reverand guitar hes touring with, might be the best axe i own.

went to my first music festival yesterday as i caught panorama on a smelly, muddy island on the hudson river.

arrived to see david bryne close his set which was good, the xx played after and then The Killers headlined, obviously a step down from nyc having Tool AND NIN headlined fests last year, but they were fantastic. The bands not in style anymore sure but they had the audiences complete attention from start to finish. Brandon Flowers is a machine, his voice has only gotten better as hes aged and he seemed overjoyed to be there. the show i talked about upthread was def not a fluke. it wrecked my arm but was worth it.

Last edited by ¡HarlequinPanic!; 07-30-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:14 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Yeah, the seating was right up to the stage.

Oh, speaking of SP, here's the 30th anniversay set list:

Old 08-03-2018, 04:26 PM

Now why were those two members of the killers playing this but couldn't be at panorama on Sunday night....

Yeah I was sitting real close for Wednesday's show.

It was good and it was awesome they played so long and they did some great stuff, I got a bit bored during the second hour but the third one where they pulled out some darker stuff it really began to come together. The imagery during ava adore was super cool; and who would've thought that The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning would actually turn out to be so good live? Even that new song sounded well with a live production behind it.

No D'arcy or Melissa in the video footage they showed, I get it, with what happened the last thing needed is accusations of using someone's image in promotion without paying them. Besides, Nicole was in the band longer than Melissa ever was (oceania) and also got the shaft.

That said, Billy's getting older and it's a shame he couldn't just belt out some shouts for some of those tracks, bullet with butterfly wings was particularly muted during the show, leaving some older shows I saw of them among my favorites still (one that they filmed on youtube in 2010 being my favorite of em all). So it definitely won't be a priority to catch them going forward (although really I've been sitting out on their last few go arounds)

Gotta say it was nice to see most of the band back together but that Jeff is actually a way better guitarist than James, there were a lot of songs where a solo was being ripped and I'd look to see Billy playing only to see he wasn't and Jeff was doing it. Not too shabby.

And I know it was only focusing on the first albums, but I would not have minded hearing them do United States off of Zeitgeist.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:58 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Sometimes I forget about Zeitgeist because the vast majority of my music comes from Spotify these days and Zeitgeist isn't to be found there, but I would have loved for them to play (Come On) Let's Go.

Insta-edit: I also don't have Zeitgeist in my local files. That's some shit I'm going to have to rectify.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Pronouns: He/Him

At Janelle Monáe. She hasn’t gone on yet, but I feel like I already got my money’s worth from St. Beauty alone.

EDIT: Let me add to the chorus of this thread and say that Janelle Monáe is so so so so good.

Last edited by Little Sampson; 08-05-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:14 PM
King Of Space-Time

Old 08-15-2018, 04:59 AM
HAMKING

@Tiers: That’s a cool story! I saw FF years ago and they were classy and awesome.

My brother and I saw Slayer in ATL Friday night. Their last tour, so they say. It was at am amphitheater. There was a section with seats, and then behind that a lawn. We had seats. Just watched and drank beer through the openers, enjoyed watching and all that.

But I knew I was gonna mosh for Slayer. Matt said he wasn’t. So before Slayer’s set I got a couple of bombers of Heineken and chugged em.

48 oz heavier I watched the first song. I kept an eye on the pit, but nothing seemed to be going on. I was just about resigned to just watching when they started “Mandatory Suicide.” I immediately handed Matt my wallet, keys, and phone and took off.

Found the pit and basically just played musical rugby the rest of the night. There was zero stage banter, and almost no breaks between songs. Just BAM BAM BAM BAM which was perfect. Their best album (and the best metal album ever) is only 28 mins long, so it fits. They closed with “Raining Blood” “Hell Awaits” and “Ange of Death” back to back to back. Then the lights came on.

Some idiots were chanting for an encore, but dude. Those are THE LAST SONGS. Other bands cover those songs as an encore.

It is finished.

Tom stood at the mic, staring at the crowd and smiling.

Finally just did a little wave and said “Good night” and walked off
Old 08-20-2018, 07:00 PM

I saw the Smashing Pumpkins in St.Paul on Sunday. I may have to give it some time, but I think this concert is in my top 5 favorite concerts I've been to. After the show I was so excited I had trouble falling asleep.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:12 AM
hidden in snow

I went to Nine Inch Nails’ first show of their new tour last night. This was probably my 10th time seeing them, and it was one of the best. They started out by playing the entire Broken EP, including the covers from the hidden tracks/3” cd. Then they had a great mix of deeper cuts and new tracks. The closest they got to playing the ‘hits’ was March of the Pigs, and closing the show with Hurt.

Doesn’t compare to when I saw them on the Wave Goodbye tour, when they played all of The Downward Spiral, and then played another 10 songs, including Gary Numan covers with Gary Numan on the mic. Or the Tension tour, when the light show was at the peak of what anyone was doing at the time. At this show, the crowd wasn’t super into it, they seemed to be waiting for the hits. Instead we got a stripped down fog and light show, deep tracks (I’m Afraid of Americans, Happiness in Slavery for the first time since 1995!). I’ll be watching the upcoming setlists for the rest of the tour, waiting for the Instagram videos to drop with more nuggets for super fans.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:31 AM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

I've seen them twice, once after The Fragile was released and once after With Teeth. Good shows, to be sure. They'll be here in November but, alas, I will be out of town for Thanksgiving.

I'm going see Descendents tonight. I saw them a few years ago in Atlanta, where they played the hits and that's it. I'm hoping for some deeper cuts tonight.