The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 05-16-2018, 03:09 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

not splitting the party is a fun thing to try to work around when you have a character who is impulsive as hell. Tends to lead to a lot of exasperated Good teammates chasing after them.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:39 PM
Chaotic Good

Pronouns: he / him

Rule 0 is "don't give the DM ideas."

Rule 1 is "don't split the party."

Last edited by Destil; 05-16-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:49 PM
jiggery-pokery

Due to some weird scheduling, I'm DMing a session on Friday night with my regular group (currently level 10 PCs, we rotate DMs about every 3-4 months) and then DMing on Saturday afternoon with a second group (they're mostly new players, should reach level 2 mid-session).

I'm sure by Saturday evening I'm going to be exhausted. So many NPCs to remember!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:35 PM
We just don't know.

Don't split the party is a good rule because trying to DM two separate groups at a time/trying to play while another group is simultaneously trying to play is kind of a pain in the ass for everyone.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:02 AM
YOU FOOL??

Pronouns: He/Him

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is out. Haven't given it a full read yet (my DM has actually forbade our group from reading the Nine Hells material until he can review it to make sure it doesn't contain spoilers for stuff later in our campaign) but it looks pretty meaty. And hey, official stats for githzerai player races, so we're one step closer to the dream of an official 5e Planescape adventure book.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:42 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

There's still a ton of stuff from Volo's and Xanathar's that I haven't used yet, so I don't feel too antsy to pick this one up. But, I appreciate that it has a lot of high level monsters and I will probably get it if my current group decides to keep playing past the current arc (which should end around level 11 or 12). The subraces don't seem too exciting to me either, but it never hurts to have more options.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:20 PM
We just don't know.

So my shadow sorcerer is level 5 and things are going pretty well. I'm enjoying the character and most of our party interaction. I'm starting to wonder about spell slots, though.

Sorcerers obviously have pretty limited spell selection; I can only pick six at level 5, though I also get Darkness as a freebie and one use per long rest of Suggestion as a Yuan-Ti. But there are a lot of hard choices I'm making so far.

One thing is that I'm not sure what to do with my first-level slots. I already dropped sleep because scaling is making it less viable already; the 5d8 of HP isn't going to get me very far going forward, and it doesn't scale that well. I had Ray of Sickness as an attack spell, but that just does 2d8 (and only scales at 1 dice/level, so Mind Spike at level 2 kind of makes it obsolete) and now that I'm level 5 my cantrips powered up and I can do 2d10 with fire bolt or 2d12 with poison spray, so Ray only really grants the poison debuff on a failed save - which shouldn't be entirely discounted, of course, but I still don't see myself using it a whole lot. Then I have Shield, for extra reactive armor.

So I have 4 level 1 slots, but only 2 1st level spells that I probably won't use much. I feel weird dropping Ray and having no damage/debuff spell entirely; I suppose I could use it more to try and do more debuffs instead of just my damage cantrips. I might also drop Ray for Mage Armor and walk around at 16 AC instead of 13, with 21 if I need to shield... I AM pretty squishy. Hm.

Anyway, I guess my question is, how do most sorcerers normally handle this? With their limited known spells and few level 1 spells relatively useful to later, do they tend to ignore those slots and just burn them for sorc points? Keep a spell onhand for later use, at the cost of another potentially more useful spell of higher level?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:52 PM
of the Black Falcons

I think a lot of Sorcerers burn first level slots to fuel metamagic and rely on cantrips and higher level spells for damage. Shield is definitely worth keeping around forever, but otherwise there aren’t a ton of first level spells that you need. I have a ring of spell storing, so I can depend on that for a few shields and a mirror image most days, and I have Chaos Bolt for purely thematic reasons (it’s fine, but on average it’s about the same as a ray of frost). Level 2 and 3 spells are way more useful, so it’s probably best to keep a lot of them.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:19 AM
Inherently Stealthy

There’s a few good utility spells at first level too, but I don’t think they’re on the Sorcerer list; you basically need an origin that adds them.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:16 AM
We just don't know.

Which ones did you have in mind?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:35 AM
YOU FOOL??

Detect Magic and Identify are always useful. Comprehend Languages can come in handy.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:27 PM
:O

I took Ritual Casting: Wizard on my sorc and never regretted it.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:56 AM
Chaotic Good

False Life and/or Mage Armor for sure, IMHO. Nothing beats long duration defensive buffs.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:20 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Identify not so much in this edition, but Detect Magic yes.

Depending on campaign, all of the following can range from totally worthless to mandatory:

- Alarm (*)
- Comprehend Languages
- Disguise Self
- Feather Fall
- Goodberry (*)
- Protection from Evil And Good (*)
- Purify Food and Drink (*)
- Speak With Animals (*)
- Tenser's Floating Disk (*)
- Unseen Servant (*)

(*) - Not on the Sorcerer list, but there may be origins that grant you them anyway.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:43 AM
YOU FOOL??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
(*) - Not on the Sorcerer list, but there may be origins that grant you them anyway.
Are you using "origins" to mean feats?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
Are you using "origins" to mean feats?
No, Sorcerous Origins; neither of the core PHB ones do, but at least a couple of the ones published in supplements and many of the UA preview Origins add spells to your spell list in a similar manner to Druid Circle of the Land lands or Cleric Domains.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 AM
YOU FOOL??

Oh, I see. Yeah, those would give you the spells in question, but it's not like Paul can (or would want to) change his origin now.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
Oh, I see. Yeah, those would give you the spells in question, but it's not like Paul can (or would want to) change his origin now.
Yeah, it's more a "character planning" thing.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:27 AM
of the Black Falcons

Yesterday I was at the Art Institute, and I wandered into the room with medieval armor and weapons, and I was struck by an intense wave of wanting to play D&D. I haven't played in months. I was out of town for three weeks, and both of the groups I play with (one as DM another as a player) have people going through intense life stuff that warrants a break. I also have vague plans to run a two-session evil adventure for some friends, but I have no idea when that's actually going to happen.

Anyway, whenever I'm unable to play I start making up characters. Last night I came up with a Divination Wizard (based on real divining tools I saw at the museum!), another Sword Bard, and a Hexblade Archer Warlock. It's like torturing myself because I know I'll never play them.

I'm kind of tempted to start up another Roll 20 game, but I know that I don't really have time for it. D&D is very boom and bust, and I don't want to get overwhelmed again. This game would be perfect if it wasn't for scheduling around real life.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:04 PM
King Of Space-Time

I'm not ready for this level of jelly.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:32 PM
of the Black Falcons

About a year and a half ago I read a great post about how a wizard only really needs about five spells. Those are: one damage spell, one defensive spell, a buff or debuff, a utility spell, and a movement spell. The rest of the spell choices are just gravy. I remember it being a great article or blog post, but now I can’t find it anywhere.

Still no D&D, but we might get something together in the next few weeks. I think we’re going to try to wrap up the current storyline in one or two sessions, then run Castle Ravenloft. I don’t know if I’ll be able to surprise them again this year, but maybe if I start it in late September they’ll be off guard. Shit, I should read that section of the book soon.

I was talking to the one player who is pretty much always up for D&D and he suggested that we should get into an Adventure League game or another local game. I’m thinking about it, because I’d really like to play a full campaign sometime.

Also I’ve been idly building a new campaign because I’m cursed or something. I just moved into a new neighborhood with a bunch of board gamer friends, so maybe I’ll start a new campaign too. I’ve learned a ton from my past campaigns, but a big one is that travel time is annoying and you may as well just make a bunch of adventure sites within a few hours walk of each other. Plus, my 3 week roadtrip across the Western states was extremely inspiring.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:16 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

For an upcoming campaign that takes place in a witch's mausoleum, I'm making a deck of curses for players to draw from when they inevitably get witch-cursed. Please give me your curse ideas. These can be silly or a little mean, but they can't make the game miserable to play.

A few examples:
  • Exploding Blood: Anytime you take damage, roll 1d20. If the result is less than or equal to the damage taken, you and everything within 5ft take 1d6 fire damage.
  • Sticky Weapon: When you make a melee attack, your weapon sticks to the target. You may spend a move action to attempt a DC 10 Strength check to remove it.
  • Forked Tongue: You may not tell the truth.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:08 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

• I'm Melting: Water is harmful to the touch, as though it were acid. Other liquids are unaffected.
  • Boomerang Arrow: When you miss a ranged attack, the projectile curves around. Roll to hit yourself with the same attack and damage roll the original attack had.
  • Cackle With Glee: Whenever you are notably successful in some way (e.g., defeating an enemy, disarming a trap), make a DC 10 Wisdom check. On a failure, you must spend your next move action cackling as you celebrate your success.
  • Sympathetic Hex: When you cause an enemy to make a save check and they fail, you have to make the same save check with the same consequences for failure.

I polled some friends of mine too; will add their suggestions if I get any.

Last edited by aturtledoesbite; 08-20-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:27 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

I like the cackle one. I have a similar one that has the cursed weeping uncontrollably for the next round after killing anything.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:30 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

here's a probably-stupid one

Apple Of Their Eye: You can only see living beings that can see you.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:53 PM
of the Black Falcons

That Familiar Feeling: at the end of each turn, roll a d20. If you roll a 1, you turn into a toad until the end of your next turn.

Fair is Foul and Foul is Fair: Characters who have been described as handsome or beautiful are now percieved as hideously ugly. Characters who have been described as unattractive or plain are now perceived as stunningly beautiful.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:37 PM
hang high, soft star

Sleep with the Fishes: Character has an incredibly hard time breathing oxygen, but sprouts gills and can breath underwater fine. Bane to rolls while out of water, suggestion to fit a fishbowl over the character's head that offers reduced penalties because you're wearing a fishbowl on your head, it's still hard to aim and be taken seriously.

Ultimately it should boil down to like -1 or -2, and more importantly some comic situations.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 PM
King Of Space-Time

Bubble Bubble, Toil and Trouble: 3d6 of average sized bubbles waft in the air around you. Upon popping one, 50/50 chance it will increase your weight (body, equipment, EVERYTHING) by a factor of 3 (Toil), or hit player with one of the other curses (Trouble).
Old 08-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Chaotic Good

Boon of the Underdark: The character leaves a trail of phosphorescent mushrooms and fungi in their wake. These shed dim light in a five foot radius and grow on anything the character touches or walks over.

Fisheye: The character has disadvantage on attack rolls, saving throws and perception checks when the target or source is within fifteen feet and advantage beyond this distance.

Crossing of the Sun and Moon: The character treats total darkness as unbearably bright light (use the Sunlight Sensitivity rules for drow), dim light as daylight and daylight as total darkness.

Tapheon's Pleasure: The character's body warps into a terrible mass of flesh and sinew. They still have two eyes, four limbs, one mouth, two ears et cetera (or more or less depending on their original body) but they are arranged in a haphazard way across their form. They gain vulnerability to Slashing and Piercing damage, resistance to Bludgeoning damage, have their movement speed reduced by ten feet and are able to squeeze without penalty.

Sleepless Slumber: The character can no longer sleep, during each long rest instead they cast the Dream spell. In doing so the reverse version of the spell (Dream or Nightmare) is also cast at a random ally (for Nightmare) or enemy (for Dream). The save DC for nightmare 8 + Wis mod + Proficiency.

Void in the Glass: An sealable object on the character's person, such as a waterskin, pouch or inkwell, is permanently transmuted into translucent green crystal with the sound of shattering glass. Within the center of this object can be seen an impossibly small point of nothingness, whatever was in the object to begin with is forever lost to the void. If opened or shattered the object creates a hole in space leading to the Astral Plane which draws the character and any others within five feet of the glass when it was unsealed inexorably into it. This hole remains open for one round, thus their allies can choose to pursue. An Identity spell cast on the object can reveal this information, a Legend Lore spell can also provide a command word that allows the creature to return if drawn into the void, along with any allies who have joined hands in a circle.

(these are all stated for 5E)
Old 08-21-2018, 03:25 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her
Default I got this idea from an episode of the Beetlejuice cartoon

Skeletons In The Closet: Until the curse is removed, the next time the character kills a living creature capable of speech, within 1d4 rounds a spectral skeleton will rise from its corpse and drift after the character. The skeleton is incorporeal, and will loudly reveal, to anyone in the area, any secrets the character has or lies they've told (at the DM's discretion).

Tags
concentration , dungeons and dragons , edition wars , gith racism , penalty for being bard , tasha's hideous slaughter