The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-02-2018, 11:21 AM
Better be the real thing.

I've always wished I could see a full 3d layout of the ruins, just to appreciate the scale of such a place.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
I've always wished I could see a full 3d layout of the ruins, just to appreciate the scale of such a place.
Definitely, yeah. For starters, the first three rooms hint at the Goddess statue at the bottom if you fall into the depths, but it's only after you've solved the Spinning Room and done the Boob Jump (tm Brickroad) that it becomes obvious that her room is the absolute rock bottom of the dungeon and all other rooms float above it. (And if you climb down to her feet, and try to jump onto the axis, you're automatically respawned.) Going by the layout of the first three rooms, the room with the Red Devil/Five Doors SHOULD be as least long as those; then the Skull Wall and the 45° Room keep moving forward past that, but then the 2.5D section sends you back at least the length of the 45° Room, and everything after is a perpendicular path that goes under the ruins and pops you back up at the 2nd room.

I'm sure there's some geometry-loading trickery that prevents the ruins from "snapping together" neatly, which makes it more fun. But I would love to see a complete 3D model of at least the basic layout of the rooms, if not their individual details.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I started playing this again recently! Picked up the Royal Edition upgrade and decided to start anew. The optional first person mode is awesome and impractical for the same reasons that Grand Theft Auto V's optional first person mode is awesome and impractical.

Gonna try to actually beat the game instead of getting sidetracked by fishing and sidequests forever this time, but really I just want to get to the point where I can go boating and get the monster truck mod.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:35 PM

I've been watching a buddy play this game on PC for the first time. The English voice cast is really jarring to listen to, but at least most of the chocobros sound decent. My friend tho is playing with mods on. And it's kinda madness-inducing. As someone who actually really dug the story of the game, it's hard to take it seriously when Gladio is swinging a giant surfboard, or better yet when the cast has their models replaced with Goofy, Sora, and Donald.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:53 PM
Come, noble knights!

I'm actually making progress in this game! I got sidetracked by Chapter 3 and its huge open world for a while (again), but I've now made it to Chapter 7. I can finally go to the Vesperpool! I almost got killed by a cockatrice family when collecting car parts! =D

I'll probably get distracted by all the hunts and delivery quests again once Gladiolus comes back from his DLC episode and I get the monster truck and boat (Royal Edition), but I'm having fun going to places I couldn't before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I've been watching a buddy play this game on PC for the first time. The English voice cast is really jarring to listen to, but at least most of the chocobros sound decent.
In general the main four and the major NPCs (i.e. anybody who has an entry in the Dossiers) are mostly pretty good in the English voice acting department. It's the other NPCs that tend to get the short end of the stick.

Quote:
My friend tho is playing with mods on. And it's kinda madness-inducing. As someone who actually really dug the story of the game, it's hard to take it seriously when Gladio is swinging a giant surfboard, or better yet when the cast has their models replaced with Goofy, Sora, and Donald.
Noctis has also been turned into 2B and Cloud, from what I've seen.

Speaking of mods, there's one to turn Noctis into Spider-Man, but what I really want is one to turn Prompto into Spider-Man. Like c'mon, he's practically Peter Parker already!
Old 09-03-2018, 07:42 PM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

Finally beat the core game 177 hours in, and I can confidently say this is my favorite final fantasy mainline game hands down. I love this game.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:48 PM
Space dad

A few hours in and I'm having a lot of fun with it, though my 4yo computer has to run it on low at 75% resolution or it gets really freezy. Still looks nice though.

shivam raving about it sold me on it during this 50% off weekend, and so far I find it basically a combination of what I liked about FFs VIII, XII and XIII.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:22 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Finally beat the core game 177 hours in, and I can confidently say this is my favorite final fantasy mainline game hands down. I love this game.
I'm surprised to hear this. I'm not far in, and I don't dislike the game, but it doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game. I'd love to hear a non-spoilery review of the game if you're inclined to share more.

One of my bigger issues right now is that I don't really care for any of the characters. With a cast this small, I expect we'll get plenty of character down the line, but right now (just started chapter 2):
  • Gladio is OK. No problems with Gladio, but also I know nothing about Gladio.
  • Ignis is fine, but "well-dressed Brit" really retreads Balthier. (I realize the similarities mostly end there, but come on.)
  • Noctis hasn't had much development. How does he feel about his dad or Luna? I expect I'll get those answers, but there was already plenty of opportunity.
  • I don't like a single thing about Prompto. I'm not sure that's going to change.

Was I supposed to have watched Kingsglaive first?
Old 09-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Kingsglaive is basically the opening cutscenes they cut from the game, which is handy for uh, explaining the plot. You'd want to watch Brotherhood for the party character development.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Find Your Reason

Honestly, I think Bro'hood is only useful for finding out why a commoner like Prompto is friends with the Crown Prince, and, to that end, it does a terrific job developing his character from who and what he used to be. Gladio and Ignis's vignettes flesh out the characters' backstories, but not so much that they change one's outlook on them from the game proper.

Kingsglaive is, indeed, an extended cutscene. The bitterly ironic part of it is that it develops Lunafreya much more than the game itself does, and while the plot is very ho-hum, it does deliver some interesting worldbuilding and "lore".

As for the game itself... Usually, I dislike recommendations that go "You gotta wait until chapter x/episode y/volume z, that's when it gets good!" but there's... really no other way to describe XV. It absolutely meanders until Noct & Co have a clear goal in mind, but when the world opens up to you, the game changes drastically. 'course, a lot of this depends on how much you enjoy doing things off the beaten path, and sometimes the character-driven narrative is at odds with the plot-driven kind. But a good deal of the audience's appreciation for the Chocobros comes less from the plot and more from the banter during the roadtrip itself. Noctis also comes off as a very believable protagonist and leader of a group of tight-knit friends.

It also has a great villain with a wonderful throwback theme song.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
As for the game itself... Usually, I dislike recommendations that go "You gotta wait until chapter x/episode y/volume z, that's when it gets good!" but there's... really no other way to describe XV. It absolutely meanders until Noct & Co have a clear goal in mind, but when the world opens up to you, the game changes drastically.
That's fair. I'm enjoying the game well enough for the moment, and I fully expect that I'll like the characters a lot more once the game bothers throwing in some characterization. (Except Dino. Dino will always be bad.)

I do think the game doesn't lead with its best foot, but for now, it's enough that I can parry a Dualhorn.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:18 PM
Chaotic Good

Pronouns: he / him

I think these days, if you like the game or got the royal edition, I'd go with the DLC over Brotherhood. Something you'd rather save for after the main game, though.

Kingsglave does indeed explain a fair amount of lore and plot that's kinda missing but will be filled in over time. Not much about the characters, though.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Come, noble knights!

Be sure to camp at the various campsites and stay at the various roadside inns as you go. Sometimes there will be quests or conversations that may sometimes serve as character development for your crew. For one, be sure to stay at the inn at the midway point between Hammerhead and Galdin Quay again sometime, 'cuz it'll give you a lot of insight into why Prompto acts the way he does. SPOILER: His class clown act is a facade to cover up that he's a sad, troubled young man who feels like an inferior hanger-on to Noct and his other companions. And be nice to him when you do!

Also try staying at the campsite at Galdin Quay instead of paying for one of the inn options.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Find Your Reason

The campsite events I've found:

Galdin Quay: Footrace with Gladio. I didn't even KNOW I was supposed to hold the Run button, or that Run existed.

Vesperpool: Vesper Gar fishing quest with Gladio.

Somewhere near Old Lestallum, I think?: Flower-picking with Gladio.

Haven near the lake with the Catoblepas: Photo expedition with Prompto.

Haven on the rocky shore just west of Cape Caem: Another photo expedition with Prompto. I think Iris needs to be around for this one? Or I might be conflating with a photo Prompto took there of Iris and Noct.

I don't think I got any Ignis quests

Also, I got the Prompto motel scene at the Taelpar Rest Area one, not at Longwythe, so it might be a scene triggered by your plot progress. And because Inns don't provide any additional benefits, I tended to avoid them in favor of campsites (for food) or Lestallum/Galdin Quay/Altissia (Exp multipliers) so I might have missed some other additional scenes.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I think Bro'hood is only useful for finding out why a commoner like Prompto is friends with the Crown Prince, and, to that end, it does a terrific job developing his character from who and what he used to be. Gladio and Ignis's vignettes flesh out the characters' backstories, but not so much that they change one's outlook on them from the game proper.
I have to disagree. Every episode tells us exactly who these people are, what their hangups are, their relationship with the Prince, and gives us a preview of the drama and affection they'll have for each other as the story continues. A lot of it is actually really important backstory too, not just for the main cast but for a lot of the supporting cast too.

Like, we'd have no idea why Iris is so drawn to the Prince without Brotherhood. Brotherhood firmly establishes Gladio's own insecurities and how stressful a burden it is for him to both follow in his father's footsteps, as well as be the one who is most directly responsible in leading the Prince into becoming a messiah. Brotherhood shows us why Prompto is so desperate to cling onto a place next to Noctis. Brotherhood shows us why Ignis has such blind faith in Noctis and has more patience with him than others. And Brotherhood shows us why Noctis has so many different insecurities tied to both the expectations/burdens placed upon him, the guilt he feels towards his father, and the circumstances that led him to meet Lunafreya and bond with her in the first place.

It's a really good primer, and it helps put a LOT of the early story into context since we'll already know exactly why these characters act the way they do. I'm not gonna blame anyone for not wanting to watch it, because it's honestly kinda ridiculous that people should be expected to do so. But if you can, I think it greatly helps. Especially since it actively helps you enjoy the game you're going to play, rather than acting as a coda to help posthumously make sense of the nonsense you previously played as is the case with the DLC.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I'm surprised to hear this. I'm not far in, and I don't dislike the game, but it doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game.
Honestly, to me it is the MOST Final Fantasy of games. It's everything I always imagined and dreamed a Final Fantasy could be. A good Final Fantasy is oriented around a party of heroes going on a trip, with the final destination being some world-saving event. Traveling from destination to destination, making friends along the way, solving the problems of locals, etc. And FFXV strips out all the distractions and ancillary bits that Final Fantasy has built up over the years and made the feeling of going on that road trip the chief, #1 concern of everything you do. Nearly everything in the game is in service of supporting that theme.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:32 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
I'm surprised to hear this. I'm not far in, and I don't dislike the game, but it doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game. I'd love to hear a non-spoilery review of the game if you're inclined to share more.

One of my bigger issues right now is that I don't really care for any of the characters. With a cast this small, I expect we'll get plenty of character down the line, but right now (just started chapter 2):
  • Gladio is OK. No problems with Gladio, but also I know nothing about Gladio.
  • Ignis is fine, but "well-dressed Brit" really retreads Balthier. (I realize the similarities mostly end there, but come on.)
  • Noctis hasn't had much development. How does he feel about his dad or Luna? I expect I'll get those answers, but there was already plenty of opportunity.
  • I don't like a single thing about Prompto. I'm not sure that's going to change.

Was I supposed to have watched Kingsglaive first?
Watching Kingsglaive first, or early on, helps a lot.

i absolutely adored the characters, and their bond with each other and their love for each other. You definitely learn more about them as the game goes on.
Ignis is not Balthier, but Balthier is my favorite ff character of all time, so i'm ok with this either way =)
The entire game is noctis developing. I don't know what to tell you here except that you definitely know exactly what he feels about those two topics.
I was indifferent to Prompto and then i wasn't. His DLC is really really good.

This game, when i started, was as far from a final fantasy as i could imagine. I hate tech in fantasy, and i think low magic settings suck, by and large. But holy shit, this is so immersive and well realized that by the end of it, i was taken aback by how fucking cohesive the world is. The combat was everything i hate in the world, being active and shit, but by the end, it was second nature and i love it. And there are chocobos and flashy magic spells and amazing boss designs and an oversized villain and the whole thing.

But really, the whole thing for me was the bond between the boys. it felt as genuine and true as the best friendships i've ever had. I believed it, and i loved it, and i wanted more.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Find Your Reason

I watched Kings 'n' The Hood when I was barely around... chapter 3, 4? So I concede that I may be misremembering stuff from Brotherhood as something from the game. Prompto's story stood out to me, personally, much more than the two others, so.

In terms of Final Fantasying, yeah, XV is very much an expression of the spirit of the franchise, even if the form is not something we're used to. And if one of the primary criticisms of XIII was that its particular hallway didn't incentivize you to worry about, and care about the world you were ostensibly saving*, XV is the exact response to that. Eos is a very, very much lived-in world with living people and extraordinarily mundane concerns --literally, as in, it's extraordinary to meet NPCs that have such typical, day-to-day worries and difficulties in a high-fantasy narrative such as this. And although I would love to know what the original Versus XIII plot was, I feel that lassoing XV's plot back into traditional Final Fantasy motifs --classic Espers, a more classic version of the Crystal, a cosmogony based on quasi-religious interpretation of these FF staples, etc-- worked very well. I've mentioned before how I was bemused by XV going back to the "Chosen One" well after XII and XIII smashed that pretense so hard, but, really, it's not so much "going back to it" or even "deconstructing it" as it is distilling the concept to its most pure essence and examining its meaning, symbolic and personal, and how that affects everyone involved.

Oh, and the title screen version of the Crystal Theme is probably my favorite one since the first time I heard the (at the time) brand new version at the end of FFIV on the SNES.

* It could be argued that FFXIII never was about saving the world, but simply about rejecting a preordained or imposed fate. Cocoon and its people were mostly along for the ride.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
I hate tech in fantasy, and i think low magic settings suck, by and large.
I'm like the opposite. I find it a lot easier to relate to the game and get immersed when everything looks so familiar to what I'm used to seeing in real life. And I'm pretty tired of fantasy worlds all looking and feeling samey, only ever pulling from a small slice of history (medieval Europe) for setting inspiration. So FFXV is right up my alley and I've been hyped for it from the beginning. And low fantasy rules, but I don't think I would consider FFXV or any other Final Fantasy to be low fantasy.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:06 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I'm pretty tired of fantasy worlds all looking and feeling samey, only ever pulling from a small slice of history (medieval Europe) for setting inspiration.
I can definitely relate to this, and this is why I play Pokémon and keep falling for Star Ocean's sci-fi bluff. There's room for more settings in the genre than Ye Olde Mediaeval Realm! Like, I would kill to see another awesome tropical-focused world like Final Fantasy X or Chrono Cross, or a steampunk Renaissance like Final Fantasy VI, or another jRPG taking inspiration from 80s and 90s sci-fi anime like Final Fantasy VII did!

Or hell, if everybody's gonna fall back on medieval stuff anyway, at least have a cool art style and a huge amount of diversity in species inhabiting the world. Final Fantasy IX and Legend of Mana were both pretty medieval but they both had all kinds of crazy anthropomorphic creatures and caricaturesque weirdos and were all the better for it.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:00 PM
Find Your Reason

Y'all making me want to throw out all of Squex's DLC plans for 2019 and have them make a Solheim-based spinoff instead.

.......holy shit what if that's the planned (major spoiler) Ardyn DLC?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Like, I would kill to see another awesome tropical-focused world like Final Fantasy X or Chrono Cross, or a steampunk Renaissance like Final Fantasy VI, or another jRPG taking inspiration from 80s and 90s sci-fi anime like Final Fantasy VII did!
That's part of why I like FFX and FFXII a lot. You can do "Ye Olde Mideval Realm" and not have it fall back on the same tired European roots. Rabanastre looks like something out of Assyria. FFX pulls a lot of its visual inspiration from Okinawa. The whole world is filled with history and interesting looking places dating back to antiquity that fantasy RPGs could be mining inspiration!
Old 09-05-2018, 08:22 AM
Yes, let's feast!

What determines whether I can save and fast travel? I've noticed the game sometimes autosaves when I'm not allowed to manually save.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
What determines whether I can save and fast travel? I've noticed the game sometimes autosaves when I'm not allowed to manually save.
Dunno all the specifics of fast travel, but for saving, generally you can save whenever as long as you're not in the Regalia or a dungeon type place. Also you have an option to travel to the dungeon exit whenever you want in most cases.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Quote:
I don't think I got any Ignis quests
It's been like a year so I don't remember which campsite it was, but I definitely got a "cooking breakfast with Ignis" vignette, and I think at least one other. I feel like it was kind of a middle-of-nowhere camp. I'm sure you could look up the locations.

Someday I really need to come back to this and play around with some of the DLC and everything else that's been added. I completed the main game and a good chunk of post-game so long ago that not even the off-road vehicle existed yet. Curse you, weird-ass dev cycle.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:24 AM
gatchapon 3*

there are at least 2 or 3 cooking with iggy quests, and don't forget the big fish quest with gladio.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:19 PM
gatchapon 3*

also, its important to note i played the game integrating all of the post release content into the story. I played gladio's episode when he left the party, and so on. It made for a much more cohesive experience, and explained a lot of what was going on contextually, which made everything that much more meaningful.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:11 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Mods fix the game. She could stand to zip that top up a bit, but at least I won't cringe as much every time I visit the Hammerhead.

Of course, there's also "Cindy Breast Upgrade" and "Topless Cindy," because of course there is, but on the other hand, there's this, which is incredible.

There's also a mod to turn Cindy into a Gamecube, for some reason, which you might prefer if Jumpsuit Cindy is still a bit much.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:44 AM
Come, noble knights!

Honestly, I don't mind Cindy's outfit much nowadays, but that's probably 'cuz I've seen a sorceress wearing a checkerboard dress with a leather cat tail in Star Ocean: Integrity & Faithlessness and some of the Blade designs from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and they make Cindy's ensemble look practical in comparison.

Anyway...

Final Fantasy XV's mobile adaptation is now on PS4 and Xbone and will also hit Switch soon. I know I'm getting it.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:55 AM
Find Your Reason

I... but... bwuh...

Why??

No, really, what's the point of porting back the downscaled mobile version to platforms where the full-sized version is available, if they're not going to at least redub it so the acting matches the sillier presentation? If the original and the Pocket version stand side by side in the store, what's the appeal of the latter?

Tags
all day , boy band , bro trip , chocobros , cool rock , final fantasy , final fantasy xv , food porn , frog fractions 2 , garula , i want to ride my chocobo , imperials above us , magitek killbot squad , road trip , sausagefest