The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 04-15-2018, 11:32 AM
ドラクは死にました

Regarding the realz for real #1, the Star Wars setting was absolutely my favorite thing about the series when I fell in love with it as Kid Drac. I had a book called the "Star Wars Technical Journal" which contained background information, maps, and diagrams for all of the major locations, vehicles, droids, etc. seen in the original trilogy. It had a tourists' guide to Tattooine. It was a religious text for me.

The Star Wars toys I wanted most were always the "denizens," the characters who were unnamed in the movies, so I could cobble together my own adventures. The height of my Star Wars mania was probably around 1996 or 1997, when the second generation of Kenner toys were on shelves, the special editions were in theaters, and rumors of a new set of movies were abound.

That mania kinda...withered over the next six years or so, and I've had a few brief reprises of that sense of awe and fascination Kid Drac had, but it's never quite regained those heights.

I keep a little Star Wars campfire burning in my heart, though. Bossk and Walrus Man are there.

Anyway, here's my list.

1. Your own personal fictional setting that you made for your book, your D&D game, your fanfic, or just your daydreams
2. Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Etc. (Pokemon)
3. Translyvania (Castlevania)
4. The Lands Surrounding Upmeads (The Well at the World's End)
5. A Galaxy Far, Far Away (Star Wars)
6. Eternia (Masters of the Universe)
7. Paradigm City (The Big O)
8. Los Angeles, 2019 (Blade Runner)
9. Zebes (Metroid)
10. Cybertron (Transformers)
11. Derry, Maine (Steven King's It)
12. Wizard Earth (Harry Potter)
13. Monster Island (Godzilla films)
14. The Milky Way, 22nd Century (Mass Effect)
15. Zothique (Clark Ashton Smith short stories)
16. The Mushroom Kingdom (Super Mario Bros.)
17. 2263 (The 5th Element)
18. The Algol Star System (Phantasy Star)
19. Gormenghast (Gormeghast)
20. The Fallen Galactic Empire (Foundation series, Isaac Asimov)
21. Eagleland (Earthbound)
22. Thra (The Dark Crystal)
23. Hyrule (Zelda games)
24. Mercury (The Zimiamvian Cycle)
25. The Not Too Distant Future (Mystery Science Theater 3000)
Old 04-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Phantastic Oil

I meant to mention this earlier, but the one setting that I'm really kicking myself for forgetting is the Tommy Westphall universe, which is to say 90% of 90s television.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Funko Superfan

Also it's not a real thing.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:33 AM

Thanks a lot for all your effort, Falselokissun. Loved both the little blurbs (for which we totally need an epilogue, just as we had a prologue!) and the map. My hat's off to you.

Can we have a link to the final list?

It makes me slightly sad seeing here in everyone else's lists all the cool settings I completely forgot about (Labyrinth, Suikoden, Nausicaa's world, Yubaba's bathhouse, Calvin's imagination indeed...), specially since I was grasping to come up with some towards the end.
But whatchergondo, hereby I present my list in the following format:

Order - Setting - Works - Favorite subsetting/place (sometimes)
Comments

Bolded ones made it not:

1 - Kasslyne - Unsounded - For now, the beautiful twin cities of Ethelmik & Mulimar
Very original for a fantasy work & wayyyy elaborate, almost obscenely so. Not necessarily my favorite setting ever, but one I'm currently enjoying a lot and I gave it a boost to see if I could push it in if someone else gave it at least a mention (I learned of this comic's existence here, so I know there are people who enjoy it, or at least used to?).

2 - Star Trek TNG Galaxy - Star Trek - Dem federation ships
Quite ideal future we won't ever reach Made me daydream a lot I was in one of those, and utterly loooved the demo of Star Trek Elite Force II, just because it let me walk around the Voyager in first person for a bit.

3 - Aquelarre medieval Spain - Aquelarre (Spanish tabletop RPG)
An impressive setting that mixes utter realism to its last consequences with an "all myths are true" mentality, excellently researched & crafted. Very difficult to actually play, though, I'm told. But I swallowed my cousin's manual books whole, man.

4 - Sixth World - Shadowrun
A melting pot of commonplace stereotypes, but very lovingly crafted. It mixes everything but does it very well (see for a recent counterexample: the Bright movie). I got into it recently and, like Aquelarre above, I've never played the tabletop RPG itself (I tried RP'ing a few times and although it seemed I should love it the experience left me rather cold) but I couldn't stop gobbling up the lore & meta-plot (yeah, I know, I enjoy it, sue me). Loved the videogames, too.

5 - Hanyuda village - Siren (both original game & remake, 2 not so much) - The village itself, it is so realistic, so well recreated... also the final battle "dimension" in the remake (spoiler link, duh)
Excellently crafted, shows makers put a lot of love in their work. It seems like Keiichiro Toyama was given free reign to do whatever he wanted, and he basically remade the first Silent Hill but improving precisely the setting (and the existential horror) manifold. A seriously underrated gem. Unpopular opinion: I also loved the PS3 "American" remake, because it was indeed an American remake, to the last consequence (and because it made the game actually manageable for clumsy old me). Also Hanyuda never looked more beautiful.

6 - FMA's alchemical 1910's world - Fullmetal Alchemist Manga only! (or Brotherhood, I guess, if you're allergic to reading and/or black & white)
Original choice of time placement (post-industrial revolution WITHOUT being steampunk!) & very elaborate (starting to see a pattern here? ).

7 - Silent Hill - Silent Hill games - SH1 normal misty Silent Hill, it feels strangely welcoming (when not being attacked by monsters)
Particularly from the first 2 games, its quality went progressively deteriorating afterwards

8 - Discworld - Discworld - Ankh-Morpork
When a parody is so excellently crafted it far surpasses that which it is parodying.

9 - The court & Gillitie Forest - Gunnerkrigg court
All myths are true & very well researched. And so free of conflict! (at least in the surface)

10 - Steven's Universe - Steven Universe
Incredibly elaborate for a kid's show, loving it very much.

11 - Drakennierverse - Drakengard/Nier
Every possible kind of fucked up in one single fictional universe! If it can go bad it'll go WORSE! Highly subversive of expectations, expected it to be in this list, TT...

12 - Lovecraft's New England & Cthulhu mythos - Lovecraft's works duh
Yeah yeah, racism and overdone, but still, a rightful classic that has been an inspiration to so many great works.

13 - Thedas - Dragon Age
Kinda generic? but very ellaborate and it got me quite hooked.

14 - Vortex World - SMT Nocturne
Most original take on SMT-mythos, and the one most tightly knit, while at the same time fulfilling the usual SMT tropes in interesting new ways.

15 - The Planet from FFVII - FFVII - The @#$%& pizza, of course (Midgar)
The one FF that I've played whose world hooked me the most. Still one of the ones that ties setting & gameplay best (of the ones I know deeply enough, that is).

16 - Penguin Village & Dr Slump world - Dr Slump - Penguin Village itself
Anything goes! I guess it's the same universe as Dragon Ball, but who cares Dr Slump's wackiness is what counts here, which is far more subdued in DB.

17 - The Land of the Dead - Grim Fandango - Rubacava
As pretty as it is noir

18 - Kyrandia - Kyrandia games
Basically all of Hand of Fate - Started as a pretty generic fantasy but quickly became its own very quirky and charming thing

19 - Arcanum - Arcanum
Yet another magic-technology thing mix'n'match of stereotypes but particularly well crafted, like shadowrun.

20 - PATHOS-II - SOMA
Makes you think a lot, gives some (arguable, relative) hope in the face of utter despair.

21 - ICO/Sotc world - ICO & Shadow of the Colossus - The forbidden land from SotC
So breathtakingly pretty, so calm, so mysterious, so alluring

22 - Castlevania - Castlevania - Dracula's castle, duh - the clock tower, the castle entrance, the top floor...
Way more elaborate than it should be yet strangely addicting. Gimme my battle of 1999
Another one I expected from TT, but alas.

23 - Roman Empire et al from Asterix - Asterix
So many puns, so many exquisite parodies, so beautifully drawn.

24 - MCU - MCU
Has gotten me more hooked than I'd like to admit

25 - My own settings! - Rogerverse
Glad I wasn't the only one that went there, haha.

Honorable mentions:
- Another World - Another World
Everything's out to kill you! So much worldbuilding without any words at all!

- Pandora - Borderlands
Gearbox is shit and some of the humor is pretty bad, but they managed to build an interesting setting for me

- Middle Earth I guess, eh - LOTR
THE fantasy baseline, thought of giving it its due, but it's never been a favorite setting of mine, and undoubtedly it wouldn't need my help to place.

- Galaxy far far away a long time ago - Star Wars
See above, although I've been much more a SW fan than LotR.

- Cocytus - The Dig
Crystals & light everywhere! So pretty.

- The Island - The Witness
So pretty, so puzzles, so perspective, so pretentious.

- Future Australia (The Gap & Union City) - Beneath a Steel Sky
Yet another parody world that makes a very interesting setting on its own, hooked me quite up this one little free game, I recommend it! Be sure to read the written in-universe manual, and the prologue comic!

Last edited by Sensenic; 04-16-2018 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Whoops, posted it only half done
Old 04-16-2018, 06:30 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Twin Peaks should have made this list
Old 04-16-2018, 07:31 AM
-ryn

Thank you to all involved for running, drawing, and compiling lists.

I haven't commented on the top 10 at all but did have some thoughts of the top couple:

4. Discworld - I discovered discworld thanks to the top 50 fantasy novels list. Its fun how a world so goofy and satirical in nature can take itself so seriously that it seems realistic. It holds itself together in a way that is a joke in itself. And it manages to work in cutting deconstructions of modern life while still being fun and light-hearted. I'm so glad you folks helped me find this world.

3. Hyrule - As a kid that grew up in the country and exploring the woods, Legend of Zelda was what was happening in my head. I was exploring the country side and battling monsters. I wouldn't say the OoT and other games particular places had particular hooks in me. But the original game was a world of exploration and adventure and that's what I wanted to go outside and do.

2. Middle Earth - my dad read me Hobbit before I could have tackled a book that big. I borrowed Fellowship from the library over and over again trying to slowly get through it when it was way above my reading level. I got trace paper and traced the fold out map and carefully studied it and imagined it was a real world.

1. Star Wars - I don't think I can really talk about the Star Wars setting objectively or even put my finger on what I like about it. I love the original movies. I like the prequels. I really enjoy the old republic. I'm super digging these new movies. I'm crazy excited about this Han Solo movie.

The top 3 here basically represent the worlds I was most obsessed with as a kid and teen. I didn't actually submit a list, but these 3 are most definitely what I would have ranked at the top.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:37 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensenic View Post
Can we have a link to the final list?
In the OP
Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
In the OP
Oh no, I meant the usual full list spreadsheet with the positions below 50.
Out of curiosity is all.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:52 AM
ドラクは死にました

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
1. Star Wars - I don't think I can really talk about the Star Wars setting objectively or even put my finger on what I like about it. I love the original movies. I like the prequels. I really enjoy the old republic. I'm super digging these new movies. I'm crazy excited about this Han Solo movie.
What's this!? Enjoying Star Wars? On my Internet??? YOU REBEL SCUM!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:13 AM
-ryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
What's this!? Enjoying Star Wars? On my Internet??? YOU REBEL SCUM!
/r/EmpireDidNothingWrong
Old 04-16-2018, 11:17 AM
BIG STUPID SPEED

OKAY HERE'S MY LIST. BOLDED ITEMS WERE CRUELLY IGNORED.

11. Post-Apocalypse-Custom Car World or whatever it's proper title is. - Mad Max Movies.
10. Angel Island - Sonic The Hedgehog Series
9. Greudo Desert - The Legend of Zelda Series
8. Ulmeyda InterCity - Killer7, "Cloudman" level
7. New Donk City -Super Mario Odyssey
6. Snake Way - Dragonball Z
5. Underworld - Terranigma
4. Santa Destroy - No More Heroes Series
3. Tokyo-To - Jet Set Radio series

2. Ikana Kingdom - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
1. SKELETON HELL - The internet.

WOW MORE THAN HALF OF THEM. YOU GUYS SUCK AT VOTING FOR THE CORRECT PLACES.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:27 PM
-ryn

I didn't finish my list, but basically everything on my partial list is on the main list with the exception of a few.

- Dinotopia - I had the book as a kid and I remember really enjoying the art. It captured my imagination for a time.
- Ages of Myst - I bought a book written in the world of Myst. Since for the most part there is no characters, you only have the setting to interact with. I would grasp at any tiny clue about the strange worlds you would visit through the books. I thought it was a pretty interesting setting.
- Halo - In the first game where you first touch down on the ring station and you look up and see the giant ring curving around into the sky, that was a cool moment.
- Redwall - This was another series that I loved looking at the maps. I also enjoyed that the series explored the same locations over time so you could see how these locations changed.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:49 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
OKAY HERE'S MY LIST. BOLDED ITEMS WERE CRUELLY IGNORED.
10. Angel Island - Sonic The Hedgehog Series

Now that the skeleton mentions it, it is odd that Moebius didn't place. Is this one of those "I guess everyone else will vote for it, so I'll pick another" things?
Old 04-17-2018, 04:16 PM
Stop:

Almost forgot. Here is le spreadsheet.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:24 PM
of the Black Falcons

Here’s my list:
  1. Earthsea (A Wizard of Earthsea)
  2. Tamriel (The Elder Scrolls)
  3. The Four Nations (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  4. The Unknown (Over the Garden Wall)
  5. Urth (Book of the New Sun)
  6. Ivalice (Final Fantasy XII)
  7. Arcadia (Skies of Arcadia)
  8. Lordran (Dark Souls)
  9. Arrakis (Dune)
  10. The Ekumen (The Hainish Cycle by Ursula K. Le Guin)
  11. Dying Earth (Jack Vance)
  12. Oz (The Wizard of Oz)
  13. Vana'diel (Final Fantasy XI)
  14. Mossflower Woods (Redwall)
  15. The Great Valley (Bone)
  16. Ooo (Adventure Time)
  17. Middle Earth (The Hobbit)
  18. Star Wars Galaxy (Star Wars)
  19. Hyrule (The Legend of Zelda)
  20. Cosmic Marvel (GotG, Thor)
  21. Circle of the World (The Blade Itself, etc.)
  22. Milky Way Galaxy (Mass Effect)
  23. Solar System (Destiny)
  24. Azeroth (World of Warcraft)
  25. Westeros (A Game of Thrones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Thanks!

Wow, I was actually the only person who voted for Earthsea. I can’t believe how wrong I was.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:05 PM
Find Your Reason

Whoever else voted for the Grid: c'mere, and let's pour one out for Beck and TRON Uprising!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Not a Beer

Ah, I see Castlevania only missed by a few points. London Below did pretty well too!

Kind of shocked I was the only vote for FFVI's setting after how many other lists it's been near/at the top of, though.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:42 PM

I find it particularly egregious that only 4 people put Star Trek on their lists, which makes me very sad.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:19 PM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Arcadia (Skies of Arcadia)
I was surprised that this didn't make it, but it's nice to see that I wasn't the only vote!

(I was the only vote for a lot of entries on my list. >_<)

ETA: Over the Garden Wall is also a really good pull that I never thought of.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:32 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Whoever else voted for the Grid: c'mere, and let's pour one out for Beck and TRON Uprising!
It was my #25. One of the first things I thought of, though.

Oh, yeah. There's my vote. Representing Wonka's Factory by my lonesome.

At least Star Trek got the 4 votes. My beloved Jurassic Park universe only got 2 votes.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:06 PM
of the Black Falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I was surprised that this didn't make it, but it's nice to see that I wasn't the only vote!

(I was the only vote for a lot of entries on my list. >_<)

ETA: Over the Garden Wall is also a really good pull that I never thought of.
*double hi five*
Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Yay, thanks, Issun!

And a high five to whoever else it was that voted for FMA's setting!
Old Yesterday, 05:38 AM
Mr. Jackpots

That was me. It's probably the best setting for an anime. Actually unique.
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM
Stop:

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
At least Star Trek got the 4 votes. My beloved Jurassic Park universe only got 2 votes.
Isla Nublar 4 lyfe.

Tags
democracy was a mistake , don't visit anime , falselogfic , falselogicwrotethis.txt , top 50 countdown