The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-20-2019, 10:25 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
The difference is that Bloodlines serves up the bosses you've already fought, while the Rondo boss rush is both totally unique and a nice visual/aural callback to an earlier CV game.
Oh I know, I almost mentioned that in my above post. But a boss rush is still a boss rush, and even with Maria I had plenty of trouble getting past the four bosses standing between me and Shaft. Generally I die around the mummy or the Frankenstein('s Monster) Creature.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:58 AM

These comments and the collection just reiterate how awesome Castlevania is and how each entry often feels familiar but quite unique in its own way. I hope this sells well enough to get more and more Castlevania collections released.

Also, the spear in Castlevania Bloodlines is so awesome I don't think I've ever beaten the game with the whip. It's just so damn cool. I love doing the move where you stab upward and hold, then push a direction and twirl the spear that way. Also, the way it flies in the air and plunges into your corpse when you die. Someone had a lot of fun with the spear animations in Bloodlines.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

I'm always going to love playing as John for his take on whip-swinging--the only time in the series where the concept's application is freeform instead of carefully restricted to pre-determined spots. Many areas lack ceilings or ones that are too high to reach so the degree of improvisation isn't at the level as that description perhaps suggests, but just the promise of any otherwise indistinct surface being a potential grapple point is tantalizing to contemplate.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:40 AM
Little Waves

I like the single out-of-place block hovering over the center of the Stage 1 boss room that's only there so you can swing-kick back and forth through the Armor Battler.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:09 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
If you keep focused on Simon instead of the rotating room you can avoid painful eye rolling.
Unless you're playing Belmont's Revenge.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:13 PM
Binglebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
Simon's Quest is super unfriendly
I don’t think describing a game as “unfriendly” is a negative criticism in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I eyeroll when I get to that stage where everything happens inside a rotating tube, though.
It’s one room.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:55 PM
Slammaster

Pronouns: He, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
I'm always going to love playing as John for his take on whip-swinging--the only time in the series where the concept's application is freeform instead of carefully restricted to pre-determined spots. Many areas lack ceilings or ones that are too high to reach so the degree of improvisation isn't at the level as that description perhaps suggests, but just the promise of any otherwise indistinct surface being a potential grapple point is tantalizing to contemplate.
One of the things that makes Bloodlines so damn good is that both characters are so fun to play as for different reasons. I love the vault from Eric, but I also love the Indiana Jones swing from John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplo View Post
I don’t think describing a game as “unfriendly” is a negative criticism in itself.
I guess if you completely decontextualize it from everything else a person says, that's probably true.
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Looking at the TCRF breakdown of the differences between the American and Japanese ports of CV3, and not only are there more of them than I thought; a good number are baffling. I can understand covering up nude statues, and removing religious iconography (this was Early 90s Nintendo, afterall), but then you get to things like changing the colour-scheme of the Holy Water, giving Médusa slightly smaller (but no-less exposed) breasts, and changing the Devil Boss from a maleific goatman to some kind of winged hippo, and, weirdest of all, redrawing the Mummy to be Buff and Handsome.
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM
ドラキュラの様な奴

Pronouns: He/Him

I always interpreted CV3's Medusa to be a shirtless dude-dusa. Not that a Gorgon necessarily has to conform to mortal man's gender binary!
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Medudesa
Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM
Little Waves

One change that never seems to get documented anywhere (not even in the game's Speedrun.com version differences guide) is that Grant can only get the triple shot for the axe in the US version. In Akumajō Densetsu, the best he can get is the double shot, which limits his damage output.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
I always interpreted CV3's Medusa to be a shirtless dude-dusa. Not that a Gorgon necessarily has to conform to mortal man's gender binary!
The first point gibes with Nintendo Power referring to them as a Snakeman, but I like the second point more. Buff Mummy is still weird though.

Also, ain’t nobody ever going to convince me that Lesser Devil and Belmonts Revenge’ Iron Doll aren’t the prototypes for Slogra and Gaibon.
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
Little Waves

Pazuzu in Harmony of Dissonance is straight-up the CVIII Lesser Demon. The same game also features the long-awaited return of the hammer-wielding Cyclops.
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Don't forget the skull knight! He returns in Harmony, too!
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
ドラキュラの様な奴

Pronouns: He/Him

I'll never forget Skull Knight. Guy just about drank me into oblivion back in '76 (that's 1476, you young-uns). The liquor just goes right through him.
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM

A lot of those changes actually seem pretty solid. I like some of the color palette changes. I also don't think Grant is necessarily all that with his distance dagger attack, given that you can only have one of them on screen. He can actually do more DPS with his piddly (but very quick!) dagger in the US release.

A lot of bosses are tougher, though, including Dracula. I noticed the laser beams are a bit longer in the US version, making them harder to dodge.

Another difference, and I don't know if it was noted, but you can't actually fully solo-run the game with Alucard in the US version. Dracula's second form is impervious to his fireballs. You have to switch to Trevor. This isn't the case in the Japanese release.
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
A lot of those changes actually seem pretty solid. I like some of the color palette changes. I also don't think Grant is necessarily all that with his distance dagger attack, given that you can only have one of them on screen. He can actually do more DPS with his piddly (but very quick!) dagger in the US release.

A lot of bosses are tougher, though, including Dracula. I noticed the laser beams are a bit longer in the US version, making them harder to dodge.
Grant's distance attack makes some bosses, like Frankenstein's Monster, a lot easier, though. And his increased vulnerability, especially in later stages, makes getting up close with the stab a lot more risky.

Drac not only has longer lasers, but he shoots them on upward angles in the US version, which I never saw him do in the Japanese version. The damage differences on Drac also really make a difference. Big yikes.
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Not to mention the lack of a continue point before Dracula in US. It's not easy to get back there at full health! This is why I've never finished CV3. I still love it, though.
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
Slammaster

Also not to mention that if you actually run out of lives in the US version, you get kicked all the way back to the beginning of the stage, and have to descend through the gear section, and all that nonsense again.
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
Mystery Contraption

...I have no idea why Autocorrect decided to spell Médusa with the Pokemon-e.

Have I been spelling it wrong my entire life? Has everyone?!?
Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
...I have no idea why Autocorrect decided to spell Médusa with the Pokemon-e.

Have I been spelling it wrong my entire life? Has everyone?!?
Unlikély
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
Grant's distance attack makes some bosses, like Frankenstein's Monster, a lot easier, though. And his increased vulnerability, especially in later stages, makes getting up close with the stab a lot more risky.

Drac not only has longer lasers, but he shoots them on upward angles in the US version, which I never saw him do in the Japanese version. The damage differences on Drac also really make a difference. Big yikes.
True, kind of a give and take. But he is definitely more frail.

I didn't know that the damage was actually different for each of his attacks against Grant. The flame pillar only does three, but the laser beams do five. Had to look up a longplay to see that. Definitely gives more of a margin of error at the start of the fight.
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I didn't know that the damage was actually different for each of his attacks against Grant. The flame pillar only does three, but the laser beams do five. Had to look up a longplay to see that. Definitely gives more of a margin of error at the start of the fight.
The damage done in the Japanese version is by attack, whereas it's by stage in the US version. The flame pillars do two to Trevor and Alucard, three to Sypha and Grant in the Japanese version. Everything in the final stage does four to T&A, five to S&G in the US version.

Tags
can love bloom , erotic violence , goemon , group therapy , hard hitting anime , hit the lever , konami , literal dawn of sorrow , pachinkodius , please look forward to it , sadness , thin edge of the wedge , up up down down way down , valis is that you , y tho