The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 11-17-2016, 10:21 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
I'm surprised how well that combination works outside of Chick-fil-A. It's been like a revelation of sorts. Might do some of my own at home as well, provided I can find a good pickle I like at the store.
I like Boar's Head pickles, but I've only found them in wholes and spears as opposed to chip-cut for sandwiches. You could chop 'em yourself, I suppose.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Oily Butt Thing

there's only one

Old 11-17-2016, 11:44 AM
Spear of Justice

Judging by their color, thickness and taste, I'm guessing Mt. Olive also supplies CFA's pickle chips. I'm not the biggest fan of them but they're alright on a sandwich.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

I went to a Chik-Fil-A just now, and realized that they no longer carry the cinnamon rolls I intended to buy for my wife.

Which of course, with my ever-worsening memory, caused a brief crisis. Did they ever sell a cinnamon roll? If it's not CFA who had them, who did? Hardees/Carl Jr.? Is that what I'm thinking of?

Turns out they just pulled the cinnamon cluster off the menu in July.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:05 PM
Are You Sure About That?

The last time I ate at a Hardees' was when they were in their big expansion to try and match McD's and Burger King by offering actual breakfast junk and fried chicken.

True to form, my mother and I were curious (this was back in HS for me) and tried out the fried chicken only to get mild food poisoning for our troubles. This is also basically the same story with Arby's, only substituting the chicken tenders for anything else on the menu.

"Hey Bob*, that shit smells nasty, why are we eating here again?"

"That girl I'm interested in works here."

"And?"

"Look, just shut up and pick something alright?"

Bob ate a terrible smelling roast beef sandwich and came out fine the other end, I ate chicken tenders and ended up missing three days of school. And the girl in question already had a boyfriend.

*names changed to protect the not-terribly innocent.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:33 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
[chicken,] mayo and pickles.
I hear hot chicken is usually served with pickles. But no mayo. And I don't know if you like spicy things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
You can make your own chick-fil-a fried chicken, I think the only major thing is that they brine their chicken in pickle juice before breading and frying.
Really? I've never picked up any pickle flavor from their chicken.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:44 PM
This Guy

I had what is the best sandwich in the in the Southwest Missouri area, at least. It is the Southwest Ham & Cheese melt from this little Amish supplied cheese and nut shop near my home. The bread is some kind of oat bread, with ham and pepper jack cheese on it. To that they add guacamole, chipotle ranch and homemade corn pepper relish. It is messy as all hell and completely delicious. This is a not very good picture of something that makes even the worst day better.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:10 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
I hear hot chicken is usually served with pickles. But no mayo. And I don't know if you like spicy things.

Every time I eat one it's a sweet pickle flavor to the chicken, which isn't bad, but it's a once and while thing for me.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:17 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
there's only one

I'd go straight for those, but I'm relatively certain they don't have Mt. Olive around here...

Incidentally, I'd love to know what kind of pickles they use at Quiznos. Those are my absolute favorites, and when eating there was possible (it's tough when they keep closing down), I'd fill up a couple of those little dipping type cups with them to take with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post

Aye, I'd love to try that stuff, especially since KFC started pushing it, but as far as I know, it's nonexistent up here. I think I heard it's more bold and flavorful than hot (though not without heat), so while I generally avoid super-spicy stuff, I'd want to at least give that a shot.

That said, their Georgia Gold Honey Mustard BBQ chicken sounds even more appealing to me.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:35 AM
Are You Sure About That?

There's two reasons why people pair hot/spicy foods with pickles:

A: The flavor combination is usually pretty good between spicy/salty/savory/etc.

B: The vinegar/brine in the pickles neutralizes a bit of the capsaiscin from the spicy food, lessening the burning mouth feeling (this is also why taking antacids after eating a bunch of spicy stuff is so effective at killing your burning mouth along with your burning stomach).
Old 11-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I had what is the best sandwich in the in the Southwest Missouri area, at least. It is the Southwest Ham & Cheese melt from this little Amish supplied cheese and nut shop near my home. The bread is some kind of oat bread, with ham and pepper jack cheese on it. To that they add guacamole, chipotle ranch and homemade corn pepper relish. It is messy as all hell and completely delicious. This is a not very good picture of something that makes even the worst day better.
This sounds fucking amazing and I want one.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:42 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
There's two reasons why people pair hot/spicy foods with pickles:

A: The flavor combination is usually pretty good between spicy/salty/savory/etc.

B: The vinegar/brine in the pickles neutralizes a bit of the capsaiscin from the spicy food, lessening the burning mouth feeling (this is also why taking antacids after eating a bunch of spicy stuff is so effective at killing your burning mouth along with your burning stomach).
Vinegar is acetic acid, good sir, literally the opposite of an antacid.

Hmm, looks like capsaiscin is soluble in alcohol, though. I'm doing shots with my next burrito.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Huh, always thought vinegars were basic solutions, oh well.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:29 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Culinary rule of thumb, please do not try this with actual science: acids are sour, alkalines are bitter.

Furthermore: all food is acidic, to various levels. The only thing in your kitchen that's likely to be alkaline is the baking soda, and it's not like you keep a shaker of that on your table in case your food isn't astringent enough. (Maybe you do. I don't know your life.)

I've known people who insist a quick tablespoon of cider vinegar is the solution for heartburn. The logic appears to be that the stomach produces less acid of its own when external acid is introduced.

That sounds fishy at best to me, and at the insistence of one of these people, I tried it once. Vinegar does not cure heartburn.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Space Prez

After a lifetime of staring at deli breakfast menu signs that have "extra meat" written somewhere on them, I had the idea to order a bacon egg & cheese with extra bacon. It's pretty good!
Old 11-21-2016, 09:56 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Double Meat is a fine Talking Time tradition.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
Furthermore: all food is acidic, to various levels. The only thing in your kitchen that's likely to be alkaline is the baking soda, and it's not like you keep a shaker of that on your table in case your food isn't astringent enough. (Maybe you do. I don't know your life.)
What about bitter foods like raw green vegetables (kale, broccoli, spinach)? Those tend to be alkaline-promoting.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:10 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
Double Meat is a fine Talking Time tradition.
I've been getting single meat all this time, what a waste of my life.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Safe Space

how do you feel about single meat whiskey?
Old 11-21-2016, 01:29 PM
This Guy

It burns a little.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:55 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
What about bitter foods like raw green vegetables (kale, broccoli, spinach)? Those tend to be alkaline-promoting.
I've just now starting going back to school for my nutrition degree so ask me again in a few years, but given my existing knowledge of food and biology I think the alkaline-food movement is utter and complete nonsense.

If it actually makes you healthier, it's probably because eating lots of fresh greens and low-fat proteins is good for you, not because you've somehow convinced your body to stop monitoring the pH balance of your blood.

For god's sake apple cider vinegar is promoted as reducing acid levels in the body. Ingesting acid reduces acid. You might as well chug it to fix your heartburn for all the sense that makes.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:42 PM
forbidden noise

ok, but what about, like, lutefisk

i realize this is stretching the definition of "food"
Old 11-21-2016, 03:36 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

If you"ve got a jar of lye in your kitchen then I'll amend my previous "only thing you're likely to have" comment to include it. But don't you wash the lye off, or soak it out, before you eat the fish?

When I take biology next semester I'll haul in a jar of lutefisk and ask for some litmus strips, see where it falls on the scale once it's prepared for eating.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:41 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I was away on vacation in Ottawa last week, and I always make it a point to try and eat as much yummy food that I can't get at home as possible, and while the usual highs (sushi buffet, curry, Ethiopian) were all delicious, the best thing that I had all week was, much to my surprise, a taco.

We went to a taco and tequila bar, and while the chorizo taco and lamb taco were both delicious, the Taco del Norte was the best taco that I've ever eaten by a large margin (an endorsement possibly coloured by the fact that I'm Canadian, and Mexican food, even the Americanized kind, is almost non-existent up here, so I haven't eaten much of it). I wish I knew/could remember what the hell was in it. Beef and raisins for sure, but I'm not sure what else. I had been putting the delicious basil & pineapple hot sauce on my other tacos, but adding anything to this one would have been a crime.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:19 AM

Sometimes it's good to go simple.

Got a Subway sandwich yesterday, 6-inch ham for $3.99, part of a promotion they're doing. Deluxed the meat, got swiss cheese, and just lettuce (I usually go with spinach), mayo, mustard, and salt/pepper on Italian.

Good stuff.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:01 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
The East Side Ink at the local deli:

Grilled roast beef, bacon and swiss over lettuce, tomato, hot peppers and mustard on a hero roll.

Granted I only eat it once every two weeks or so, but it always feels like I am cutting my life short a day every time I do.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:57 AM

Had me until peppers. Still, sounds like it would be good even without.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:03 AM
New Video World is out!

sandwich ingredients

2 x bread, sliced
1 x fuck-off hunk of cheese
1 x Ham

combine into sandwich

congratulations you are British.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:56 PM
King Of Space-Time

No bacon?
Old 01-27-2017, 09:26 AM
Oily Butt Thing

a local pizza joint posted a picture of their chicken parm sandwich and it looks pretty good IMO

Tags
delingineering , unless u got the buns , what is a manwich