The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default The Not Worth Its own Thread - Meatspace Games Edition

I'm just going to leave this here.

Quote:
Since 2009, readers of Grognardia have been tantalized by reports from the exploration of James Maliszewski's sprawling and mysterious mega-dungeon. Inspired by pulp fantasy and science fiction, and originally created as the centerpiece for his home campaign, Dwimmermount has also been an essential vehicle for Grognardia's rediscovery of the roots and potential of roleplaying games past, present, and future.

A dozen levels deep, containing hundreds of locations, Dwimmermount is:

a tribute to the classic dungeons from which roleplaying first emerged
a long-awaited moment in the old-school renaissance
a masterwork of the skills James has developed in his extensive experience as a professional game designer helping shape the landscape of modern RPGs across a striking variety of genres and systems
crafted first and foremost to be useful at your gaming table and increase your enjoyment as a referee and gamemaster
And you can be a supporter of it on Kickstarter! If you want to.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Hey, I was thinking of making this thread! Now I'll have someplace to talk about Warlord without feeling like a troll in the M:tG thread! None of the dwarfs I've gotten for a while have really excited me, despite one of them being a warlord I've wanted to try for a while. On the other hand, I've been really intrigued by the elves lately, of all factions, which are about as far from playing dwarfs as you can get.

I don't know what's wrong with me.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Oh hey, another thread where I can talk about Summoner Wars. This is probably one of my favorite games I've played in the past year. Basically it's a cross between a living card game and a tactical game, where your cards are your units. It's a ton of fun, and each faction players differently.

Granted, the factions aren't exactly balanced (my favorite group, the Vanguards are fun to play but pretty weak against practically every other faction), but it has a good balance between flavor and mechanics.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 PM
and ermine, too

Bully Pulpit Games was uploading free games all month in February, a combination of new games and old game chef entries by Jason Morningstar.
Celebrate Fiasco's status as one of Gamespite's top 8 board games of 2012* by downloading some free games!

Link here: http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/down...ndex.php?cat=8

I like the Lady Blackbird hack, Death School.

Quote:
"It's the CIA's most elite school for covert agents. America's deadliest enemies are coming with a final exam."

Death School is an over-the-top eighties-action-movie-themed Lady Blackbird hack. Bring a flag; you will be waving it. Be advised: This game is ludicrously offensive in all the ways jingoistic eighties films were.
*This is a lie
Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 PM

I suppose this would be the best thread for this. I don't know why, but for some reason or other I woke up this morning with an intense desire to start running this thing.

I probably should have pointed it out earlier, since right now I'm pretty much getting ready to pack it in for the night, but... yeah I'm having a lot of fun with this thing. I'm half-tempted to try and toss this together as an actual game-game, but some of the forthcoming upgrades would be pretty horrific to try coding.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Speaking of kick starters, I recently bought in to the Mobile Frame Zero one. It looks like it could be very cool! The original rules - released under the name "Mechaton" - were interesting and succinct.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

I picked up the Blood Bowl card game the other day purely for the sake of the brand and finally gave the rules a readthrough this morning. Adversarial resource allocation ala Spycraft or the Fullmetal Alchemist CCGs, a hard time limit, and deckbuilding elements? I haven't actually played yet, but so far it seems like this game was made just for me.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Yes, let's feast!

My wife and I took down Pandemic on Legendary difficulty last night. (That's seven Epidemics.) Pretty solidly, too -- we only had three outbreaks and only drew five of the seven. Medic-Archivist is the best duo, flat out, hands down.

Our special events were New Assignment, which was useless since we handpicked our roles; Remote Treatment, which I used early on to avoid an outbreak or two; Resilient Population, which we never drew; and Government Grant, which is fine but not exactly game-breaking. So we didn't get particularly lucky in that department. We just got our cure on, businesslike, and weren't afraid to use cards for fast travel.

We got close to eradicating blue, but then an outbreak happened and it got out of control. Too many fires to fight to bother trying at that point.

This was a good time. What's the next challenge for a handpicked combo? Seven virulent strain?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default FYI

I'm selling my copy of the core rulebook's for Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader, if you are interested.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Manic Brawler

Hey everyone. I don't post much here as much as I lurk, but I've decided it'd be fun to talk about some boardgames (seems the boardgame thread is somewhat...dormant).

I've been playing Earth Reborn a lot recently, and quite simply it is my favorite game. Out of an excellent collection of games that includes Space Alert, Puerto Rico, Twilight Struggle, Dominant Species, Caylus, etc.; Earth Reborn comes out on top. Basically what I'm getting at is more people should be playing this, because it is incredible.

Twilight Imperium (3rd edition) has been fun to play when I get a chance to sit down for a day and play it. Seems like the first expansion makes the game much, much better due to improving upon a lot of iffy mechanics from the base game.

Another game I want to get more playtime out of is Space Alert. I still have yet to play beyond the tutorial part of the game. Those full-blown missions are sitting there, staring at me, waiting to be played.

So yeah. Boardgames. They're fun.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Mech Warrior!

My kind of robotics nerds
Old 03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
and ermine, too

Pelgrane Press just posted a few short paragraphs from Jason Morningstar, Robin Laws, and others about how HP Lovecraft has influenced them:

http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=7560

Edit: Also just saw this on Pelgrane's website.

Quote:
13th Age

We are publishing a new fantasy game by Jonathan Tweet and Rob Heinsoo, 3rd and 4th Edition D&D designers. Thatís all Iíll say for the moment, but if you want to play test, you can apply here.
http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=7583

Last edited by pence; 03-15-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Fun Club Agent

I have a thing I'm trying to do that's relevant to all y'all's interests.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

The AVClub has started a column on trying out geek hobbies that the writer missed. The first column is on RPGs. Nice shout outs to Fiasco, Apocalypse World (and Dungeon World), and D&D. I thought it was a pretty decent overview of what's out there, and I still would kill for a chance to try out Apocalypse/Dungeon World one of these days.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:00 AM
and ermine, too

The glimpses at his childhood are the real amazing parts of that article. Really nice to see that Dungeon World and Lady Blackbird were his favorite parts of the weekend, but it's also affirming to see the games that just plain misfired. Sometimes it happens, even when you're not at a convention.

There's a YouTube show premiering in two weeks where Wil Wheaton and other geek celebrities (and non-celebrities!) play tabletop games. I heard that the Fiasco episode will feature John Rogers as a guest (source). This finally fulfills a co-workers request for a well-produced actual play video of Fiasco, AND several other board games and RPGs in the process.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
The glimpses at his childhood are the real amazing parts of that article. Really nice to see that Dungeon World and Lady Blackbird were his favorite parts of the weekend, but it's also affirming to see the games that just plain misfired. Sometimes it happens, even when you're not at a convention.

There's a YouTube show premiering in two weeks where Wil Wheaton and other geek celebrities (and non-celebrities!) play tabletop games. I heard that the Fiasco episode will feature John Rogers as a guest (source). This finally fulfills a co-workers request for a well-produced actual play video of Fiasco, AND several other board games and RPGs in the process.
John Rogers on that means that the show went from something I might check out occasionally to something that I'll definitely be looking forward to, because Rogers is awesome.

I also should be getting Fiasco on Friday, I just need to find a group to play it with.

EDIT: And the author is one of my favorite writers on the AVClub because he tends to place some of his reviews in context of his childhood or past, and it's something I really like.

Also, speaking of misfiring games, I just had to put down my old campaign because of a variety of issues. It was the odd case of me not having nearly as much fun, and some of my players who didn't seem to be having much fun either, trying to argue that we should keep it alive, even though it just felt like it wasn't working at all.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Hawkguy

I've heard so much about Fiasco but without watching a group play it, I can't commit to it.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:55 PM
contains words & diagrams

I don't know if this got linked already but this is pretty hilarious.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

I keep on going back and forth on whether to buy Ora et Labora. On the one hand, Agricola and Le Havre are my two favorite games, but on the other hand, Ora et Labora might be TOO much like them (plus there are some production problems with the first edition).
Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Dinger!

I have never played Agricola or Le Havre, but I did play a few turns of Ora et Labora and found it to be fairly incomprehensible. However, the people I was playing with were familiar with both those games and seemed quite impressed by it.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Feelings on D&D 4th Edition aside, trying to explain the whole Essentials thing that WotC did is pretty difficult and tedious (and this was to someone who played a bunch of D&D and White Wolf games just like, five, six years ago). It kind of brings to light how difficult it is to talk about a lot of pen and paper RPGs (like trying to describe FATE or something to someone who hasn't played it/doesn't know anything about it). Makes me glad that games like Dread and Fiasco are out there.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:28 PM

Explaining the rules, or explaining what it is? Because what it is can largely be covered by saying "D&D4.5" and leaving it at that.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:35 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Explaining the rules, or explaining what it is? Because what it is can largely be covered by saying "D&D4.5" and leaving it at that.
A mix of what it is (it's not really D&D 4.5, the rules didn't have any sweeping changes, it just had new classes, but every other class still works roughly the same, it added more options, etc) and where exactly to start with compared to the PHBs. Basically it's mostly marveling at just how... odd, to put it politely, the D&D advertising/marketing folks are.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:40 PM
TARANTUL

Yeah, it's not really 4.5 because the total changes were something like 6 things, some of which were super specific (like the Melee Training feat, which I'm counting as a thing). 3.5 has a huge problem of (needlessly) changing everything under the sun because they could, which can make it really annoying in places if you know the 3.0 rules really well and can't recall what was changed.

Essentials was really just "More 4E, this time in paperback." It's clear they wanted to do more of a retro/2E style design but everything fully cross comparable and the number of things changed for any individual preessentials character can be counted on one hand. And half of the changes were how people though the rules worked in the first place, even when they didn't (implement proficiency for instance).
Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 PM

I'd make the case it's still roughly the same idea, given how much of the mechanics are tied up in specific class ability lists. It's still the same idea of "let's take another stab at this, but keep it compatible" like 3.5 was.

But yeah. It would be nice to see a full official 3.0 to 3.5 changelog, and even nicer to see one for 3.5 to Pathfinder.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:13 AM
TARANTUL

3.5 uses the same underlying systems, but I have a hard time viewing it as compatible given the number of things that were changed. I mean, would you want to play a 3.0 Monk in a party with a 3.5 monk? No, you wouldn't, there'd be no reason to.

Some of the changes were good (like the better monk class, no ammo and weapon enhancement bonus stacking), lots were questionable to bad (damage resistance, buff duration).
Old 04-01-2012, 02:55 AM
and ermine, too

Explaining Essentials is pretty difficult.

A new player asks, "What books do I need to play?"
  • Answer in 2008: The Player's Handbook. One player needs the Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual.
  • Answer in 2010: If you want to play a fighter, cleric, rogue, or wizard, buy Heroes of the Fallen lands. If you want to play a paladin, druid, ranger or warlock buy Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms. Any player interested in the finer points of the rules needs the Rules Compendium. One player needs the Monster Vault, and definitely needs the Rules Compendium. The Dungeon Master's Kit is optional... you know what, fuck it, share our DDI account and we'll teach you how to play.

A dedicated player asks, "What did they change in these new books?"
  • Answer in 2008: Character builder has been updated with new options and errata.
  • Answer in 2009: Character builder has been updated with new options and errata.
  • Answer in 2010: Character builder has been updated with new options and errata.
  • Answer in 2011: Character builder has been updated with new options and errata.
  • Answer in 2012: Character builder has been updated with new options and errata.

One of those years, Essentials came out.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Hawkguy

The first episode of Tabletop has them playing Small World
Old 04-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Dinger!

I enjoyed that, although I wish Wil Wheaton would tone down his personality. He's funny and charming, but he lays it on a bit thick.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
I enjoyed that, although I wish Wil Wheaton would tone down his personality. He's funny and charming, but he lays it on a bit thick.
I second the motion. Small World does look like a lot of fun though.

Tags
board games , fear of new threads , not worth its own thread , pen and paper rpgs , traditional games