The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 05-05-2017, 10:34 PM
Space dad

Well hell, maybe we can figure out a time that works!
Old 05-05-2017, 11:00 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

My weekday availability is limited (work starts at 6 AM so I go to bed pretty early) but I usually have some time on weekends. Hit me up on Steam some time and I'm sure we can work something out.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Call me when they get to this.

We played this on tabletop simulator it was actually kind of fun but simple?
Old 05-15-2017, 06:07 PM
King Of Space-Time

Beats the crap outta the Milton Bradley version.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 AM
-ryn

so, thanks to the top board games thread, I got Race for the Galaxy and my wife, Pica, and I tried it last night.
- we used the suggested starting hands and I got the Alpha Centauri one that synergizes around rare goods planets. I liked that for the first game they sort of set me up to understand that I should be trying to form some type of strategy. Mine was to use the discounts for rare element planets so I wouldn't need to discard much from my hand to play planets. My biggest problem was I could use $ to draw instead of explore but Pica had a bunch of consume powers she could use to get points, so I didn't want to give her that chance. And I had a lot more resources but I didn't have any consume powers.
- Pica had the "1" starting hand. I don't remember her starting planet but it was +1 military. It didn't seem to me like her hand was so obvious of how she was supposed to synergize. She ended up winning by 1 VP by using the 2x Consume. She used the colony ship and a discardable military card to grab some expensive planets without paying for them, so even though i was trying to limit her options for card draws, she didn't need them.
- we did have a hard time with all the symbols, but the reference card helped.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
- Pica had the "1" starting hand. I don't remember her starting planet but it was +1 military. It didn't seem to me like her hand was so obvious of how she was supposed to synergize. She ended up winning by 1 VP by using the 2x Consume. She used the colony ship and a discardable military card to grab some expensive planets without paying for them, so even though i was trying to limit her options for card draws, she didn't need them.

Unlike your hand, her hand is the "balanced" strategy. I think the best way to play it is to explore as your first action and base your strategy on any good cards you get from that. A consume strategy usually works well.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:51 AM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Unlike your hand, her hand is the "balanced" strategy. I think the best way to play it is to explore as your first action and base your strategy on any good cards you get from that. A consume strategy usually works well.
Almost universally, the first thing I call as Alpha Centauri is Consume-Trade.

Cards are more valuable than points in Round 1, the same way that dubloons are more valuable than points for the first several rounds of Puerto Rico. If anyone can even benefit from your Consume-Trade, it's likely because they settled a windfall world. If they started with Epsilon Eridani, they'll get a single card and 1VP. Combined with a 1 military windfall, that's probably the best leech anyone could possibly hope for in Round 1 against Alpha Centauri. If they started with Old Earth, they're going to hate settling a windfall world because they want to save that good for their own Consume-Trade (due to the +1$ trade power on Old Earth)

The only times I will not call Consume-Trade when starting as Alpha Centauri is sometimes when I have no way to leech a develop/settle in my opening hand. Explore and hope for the best.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:29 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
Almost universally, the first thing I call as Alpha Centauri is Consume-Trade.

Cards are more valuable than points in Round 1, the same way that dubloons are more valuable than points for the first several rounds of Puerto Rico. If anyone can even benefit from your Consume-Trade, it's likely because they settled a windfall world. If they started with Epsilon Eridani, they'll get a single card and 1VP. Combined with a 1 military windfall, that's probably the best leech anyone could possibly hope for in Round 1 against Alpha Centauri. If they started with Old Earth, they're going to hate settling a windfall world because they want to save that good for their own Consume-Trade (due to the +1$ trade power on Old Earth)

The only times I will not call Consume-Trade when starting as Alpha Centauri is sometimes when I have no way to leech a develop/settle in my opening hand. Explore and hope for the best.
I agree with this, but you are replying to my comment on Epsilon Eridani strategy. :P
Old 05-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
I agree with this, but you are replying to my comment on Epsilon Eridani strategy. :P
Aye, but in pence's defense, I could see how he could read your post as advice to Taeryn on how to deal with his wife's start. The "your" is misleading.

But anyway, yes, Pica's starting world isn't particularly specialized, which gives her more freedom to use the fact that it's a little bit good at a couple of things to play as dictated by her early draws.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:58 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Played The Prince of Florence and Dungeon Lords last night. I enjoyed them both. The Prince of Florence was a lot of fun and though I came in dead last, I like the idea of a (as our host said) low antagonism game where you are trying to simply come up with the best place for great thinkers to publish. I just wish I could get my head around the points requirements to actually do the publishing.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:32 AM
is Earnest

I played Eclipse. Holy crap, that's a lot of game.

It felt like the resource management and research/interceptor part of XCOM, but beefed up. Also, it reminded me of both Risk and Advance Wars in weird ways. It has a lot of systems with interesting interactions. There's a good tension between the map part and the resource cost part, which powers the research and ship building/upgrading part, which comes back around to help you fight aliens and other players on the map. There's lots of satisfying stuff, and the first time I killed an alien was really awesome.

BUT it takes up a football field of space, and I had to leave after 7 hours. The other players were just getting into fighting each other. It requires such an insane commitment of time and space that I'm shocked we got to play as much as we did. Two of the people in our group had a hard time grasping some of the systems, and they also waited until it was their turn to start thinking about what they were going to do. Also, I pulled a lot of bad hexes and made some mistakes placing them early on, so for the last hour or so that I was playing I had very limited options in terms of interacting with the rest of the board.

I'd like to give it another shot at some point, but I'm much less interested in buying it now because the space and time requirements are insane, and training new players is intimidating. I appreciate that it asks a lot from the players and I can see why Hidetaka Miyazaki loves it, but I have no idea when or how I'd actually be able to play it more than a handful of times in my life.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:50 AM
An Animal of Joy

Did Silverlight Manor in Mansions of Madness and we had our first win! I think. I mean, these scenarios don't have good and bad endings do they? Because we got the bad one.

It felt much more fair than the other scenarios. Only a few monster spawns before the climax, and the mythos phases weren't constantly hitting every character like some scenarios. The map was also fairly compact since rooms get refreshed with new search tokens at certain points, which makes spreading out and exploring less of a liability.

We also got really lucky with the right characters encountering the ideal puzzles and stat checks several times, which was very nice.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:05 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I played Eclipse. Holy crap, that's a lot of game.
7 hours!?!? With how many players?

Eclipse is my favorite board game so I've taught it a lot, in general I've found a 3-4 player introductory games rarely takes more than about 4 hours. Once everyone knows what they're doing turns should pass fairly quickly in the absence of excessive table talk / analysis paralysis. I wouldn't play more than 4 with new players (and would always have new players play humans).
Old 06-02-2017, 12:15 PM
is Earnest

Five players, and only one of us had played before. Two of them in particular spent a long time trying to pick what to do whenever it was their turn. During the last half hour that I was there I had to keep reminding them that they had to move because it was after midnight and I had work in the morning. As I was leaving they were trying to figure out how many dice they needed to fight each other.

I just heard that they quit after I left and never made it to the 8th stage. A four hour game sounds really nice.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:58 PM
TARANTUL

Yeah, Eclipse will take as long as the players want it to take. You make a lot of decisions every turn, but ideally each one plays out very fast (for my groups the slowest is always research, since usually I put the research board over where we need to get up and look at it if you're not sitting next to it).
Old 06-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Space dad

The one time I played Eclipse was at Talcon 20...12? 13? A while ago. None of us had played; I think it was four of us? Me, my brother-in-law, Fugu and rkdn42, I think? I remember it going at a pretty good clip, maybe 2-3 hours. I won by a couple points after a vicious betrayal of an ally.

This all reminds me that I might actually have a window to host a TI3 game this summer.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:47 PM
is Earnest

Yeah, now I feel a bit more inclined to give it another shot with 2 or three other people who know how to play the game or are at least quicker. I would love to try out an alien sometime too.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:02 PM
Space dad

Just go for it. The alien strategy is usually pretty clear from their advantages.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:15 AM
is Earnest

Well, I don't own it and the only people I know who have played it are the ones I just played it with. Getting a more reasonable group together is going to have to be a long term goal.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Yes, let's feast!

BETRAYAL AT BALDUR'S GATE
Old 06-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Listen, it's Betrayal at House on the Hill -- which is excellent, this is well-documented -- except A) it's D&D and B) it might actually go through a round or two of playtesting.

It's not as good as my "Betrayal except Star Trek" idea, but come on you should be getting excited about this
Old 06-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
It's not as good as my "Betrayal except Star Trek" idea, but come on you should be getting excited about this
I mean, now I'm excited about "Betrayal except Star Trek".
Old 06-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Inherently Stealthy

I'm mostly excited about any scenarios involving Minsc and/or Boo.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:42 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
I didn't express it here, but I shared it all over my social media.

(Still wish it were "Betrayal except Star Trek")
Old 06-05-2017, 02:51 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I mean, now I'm excited about "Betrayal except Star Trek".
Old 06-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Video Monster

Eclipse is a great game and I'll also say that the first time I played it did take an obscene number of hours - can't remember if it was the same one, but the first or second time we used an expansion, maxed out the number of players, nobody had played it before, and some of them were relatively new to the hobby. I think I went home at 3 or 4 AM, having started well before sundown.

We later learned how to maximize fun and minimize game hours - basically, choose the right players and the right number of them.

The last time I played, we used the Rise of the Ancients expansion, which has alien ships that can move off of their hexes and invade player spots - this happened to a very unlucky player on the second or third turn, and he ended up spending most of the game just trying to recover from that.

We questioned the value of that part of the expansion afterwards.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:04 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
sweet googly-moogly
Old 06-05-2017, 04:07 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
The last time I played, we used the Rise of the Ancients expansion, which has alien ships that can move off of their hexes and invade player spots - this happened to a very unlucky player on the second or third turn, and he ended up spending most of the game just trying to recover from that.

The best part about Rise is that you can use or not use any of the dozens of parts it includes.

My wife and I were looking at doing the 2 player + ancient home world variant but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:03 PM
King Of Space-Time

"Secret Hitler" board game adds Trump administration booster pack

Quote:
They just introduced new cards “featuring Donald Trump and prominent members of his administration,” also drawn by Schubert.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:21 PM
is Earnest

Quote:

Oh yeah, we were wondering if the Aliens had any way of attacking. On one hand, you'd have advantage on initiative in case of a tie and you can use those space station ship things. On the other hand, combat is brutal, and combat when you're unprepared could really mess you up. Sounds interesting, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
The best part about Rise is that you can use or not use any of the dozens of parts it includes.

My wife and I were looking at doing the 2 player + ancient home world variant but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Sounds neat! Please let us know how it goes if you play it.

Tags
afk , bard games , board dames , board games , board james , bro games , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it