The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-05-2017, 04:00 PM
An Animal of Joy

I thought the trailer I saw said March of 2017. Just a fuzzy recollection though.

After tooling around in chapter 3 for about 8 hours I decided to move on the waterfall dungeon. No idea if this will end the chapter, but I'm glad I went now be cause it's just on the edge of being too easy. Most of the encounters aren't bad, but they're wearing me down so I have to used a little caution and some items.

To chime in about camping, I think it's cool that there's a more narrative alternative to what you get from the inn, which seems to be more of a pragmatic option. Of course camping opens up plenty of opportunities to earn AP from some conversations, training, and you seem to get several AP just for doing it. So maybe it's more a choice of whether you want to maximize EXP gains or AP. Either way, seeing Prompto fall on his tailbone while trying to look cool, or seeing Noct sleeping nestled on a chocobo is well worth it.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
I thought the trailer I saw said March of 2017. Just a fuzzy recollection though.
All I knows is, I have a promotional poster dating back to PAX Prime saying "Coming 2017".

Quote:
To chime in about camping, I think it's cool that there's a more narrative alternative to what you get from the inn
One of the things I really appreciate about FFXV is that it actually gives us a reason to use our all our items, and to camp out or stay at inns. In past FFs, you pretty much only stay at an Inn for story reasons, since there's not ever a compelling reason to pick either a camp or an Inn to refresh your HP/MP over other alternatives. But having both give you bonuses, and integrating both into the story much more strongly makes these longtime staples of the game feel relevant. Same with items really. Normally you just keep a white mage in your party at all times, but here you're forced to use items rather than letting them clutter your inventory because you're hording them for a rainy day that never comes.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
To chime in about camping, I think it's cool that there's a more narrative alternative to what you get from the inn, which seems to be more of a pragmatic option. Of course camping opens up plenty of opportunities to earn AP from some conversations, training, and you seem to get several AP just for doing it. So maybe it's more a choice of whether you want to maximize EXP gains or AP. Either way, seeing Prompto fall on his tailbone while trying to look cool, or seeing Noct sleeping nestled on a chocobo is well worth it.
Additionally, Iggy's cooking only costs the ingredients used to make it, rather than the thousands of gil it can cost to eat out. You can unlock abilities to make the buffs from camp food last longer, too.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:05 PM
Conquers the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Amazon had it on the 29th of Dec, I preordered it there. Never showed up, still not released.

No date on SE's website, either, last I checked.
December 29th is Amazon's standard placeholder date for any game they don't have an actual release date for. That's what Death Stranding is listed as too.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Banned

I really did want to try out that Pitioss dungeon I've heard so much about, but I haven't because I couldn't get my flying deathtrap to land on the landing strip. This left me feeling stupid.

So why would Final Fantasy XV want me to feel stupid? I've come to the conclusion that it's because FFXV already believes I the player am stupid. Chief evidence for me now: it wants me to swallow that Ignis can still function as an adequate combatant while blind. I wonder what the game would have told me if I had told it no, Ignis cannot go down into the Marlboro dungeon because he is frickin' blind.

And I could drain the inkwell over an ending scene or two, but I won't, not now anyway. Maybe if I feel like venting.

I didn't do much camping, but I don't remember it having much narrative stuff, interactive conversations, or anything cute looking. Could be because I probably did it before one of those huge updates. I did get a good talk with Prompto after sleeping at this one motel though.

Separate point: I'm 99% certain the game has two separate sets of credits. Far as I could tell, the credits option that beating the game unlocks on the title menu doesn't list voice actors or any of their characters. Unless this is some bizarre attempt to protect house guests from spoilers, it seems like more industry disrespect for VAs.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomarchus View Post
So why would Final Fantasy XV want me to feel stupid? I've come to the conclusion that it's because FFXV already believes I the player am stupid. Chief evidence for me now: it wants me to swallow that Ignis can still function as an adequate combatant while blind. I wonder what the game would have told me if I had told it no, Ignis cannot go down into the Marlboro dungeon because he is frickin' blind.
??? I feel like you missed the entire point of that section. If you actually watch Ignis during that section, he hobbles around aimlessly, takes long and labored single swings at enemies that usually results in him falling over. The game isn't trying to trick you into thinking everything is OK. It's saying the exact opposite. Everyone's dialog the entire time is characters freaking out nonstop about Ignis: Repeatedly asking him if he's ok, suggesting he take it easy, suggesting he sit this one out, and a constant stream of beratements towards Noctis if he so much as steps outside of a five foot radius of Ignis for leaving him behind and thus without defense. Nobody wants Ignis to be there except Ignis, but nobody is capable of telling their brother he's a burden because they all feel immensely for him.

At the end of the chapter, Ignis stops face-planting every other step and can keep up with the rest of the party, but his abilities in battle are completely gimped until the time skip. He's still useless as a hand-to-hand fighter, he still wonders about during fights aimlessly, and pretty much exists to take single swings at enemies. He's only really useful for his techniques, if you equip magic on him, and as a damage sponge. After the time-skip it feels like he regains most of his battle efficacy, but it's a slightly more believable that in ten years he developed some Zatoichi-instincts.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomarchus View Post
I didn't do much camping, but I don't remember it having much narrative stuff, interactive conversations, or anything cute looking. Could be because I probably did it before one of those huge updates. I did get a good talk with Prompto after sleeping at this one motel though.
Camping at certain sites triggers special bonding quests with your boys, unique to the location. There are a fair amount of them.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
After tooling around in chapter 3 for about 8 hours I decided to move on the waterfall dungeon. No idea if this will end the chapter, but I'm glad I went now be cause it's just on the edge of being too easy.
You're the opposite of me, I've got zero problems with dicking around the open world as long as possible and breaking the main story quests over my knee.

That and I'm doing fishing. Love the fishing. I would be all for a DLC mode that focused on the fishing. Like, just give me a boat, a chocobo, a huge map where I can fish wherever instead of just Designated Fishing Spots, and some duct tape to shut up my bros with (if they even come along) and I'm there.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:17 PM

Cleared with 55 hours and Noctis at level 54.

The good:

Music is absolutely worthy of the FF series
Characters are memorable and their voice acting is good
The overworld looks beautiful
The driving, camping, photographing, cooking cycle is an inspired game design

The bad:

Combat is only fun when you're overleveled and spam link-strikes and warp strikes
The amiger and summon mechanics seem random and I still don't understand them
Magic seems like an afterthought. It's really hard to avoid friendly fire. It just doesn't work very well.
The quests where you run around in a circle looking for plot items are terrible
There is a whole category of items in this game that have little purpose other than selling for money. You can use them to craft spells, but honestly I didn't find this worthwhile. I wonder if they were intended for some other crafting system that was cut from the game.
Dungeons weren't fun

The ugly:

The boss fights are really bad. They don't follow the in-game logic of the battle system and often I had no idea what was happening.

The cut scenes required to tell the story are short, dull, and probably mostly missing from the game due to deadlines. Mostly they're just 2 minute clips of Luna reading a book in her bedroom! That does not qualify as a story. XIII's story was weird but at least there was a story that was told, and the cut scenes were exciting and cinematic.

The other type of cut scene in XV - related to NPC interactions - consists of in-engine character models gesticulating with their arms in a really unnatural way with poor lip flap synching. It's basically PS2-caliber game design/technology.

Final judgment

I had fun at various points in the game but I have a negative impression of it in hindsight. Chapter 13 was a bit of a slog but the more fundamental problems are the lack of a story, unsatisfying combat, and shallow sidequests.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:21 PM
Not a Beer

Just cheesed the hell out of carrot farming (the trick of sleeping there and parking the car elsewhere so you can quick-teleport to and from an easy hunt speeds everything up so so much) and snagged all the extra Nif weapons. Already had the upgrade materials for 3 out of 4 of 'em so they're pretty nice right now. Anyone know where to get a hide of spiked armor or whatever that was for the shield? I also still need the danged sturdy helixhorn, but I know where that drops and just haven't gotten lucky.

Speaking of luck and drops, though, I found myself in the NE map region and decided to try out that mother-and-child dish that increases drop rates. Managed to get a couerl whiskers and catoblepas brisket (both of which I'd had bad luck with before) in a single outing, so that seems to work pretty well. Guess I'll try it on the helixhorn and a griffon thing that the scientist wants tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
That and I'm doing fishing. Love the fishing. I would be all for a DLC mode that focused on the fishing. Like, just give me a boat, a chocobo, a huge map where I can fish wherever instead of just Designated Fishing Spots, and some duct tape to shut up my bros with (if they even come along) and I'm there.
This is the one thing I haven't done much of. I've done the first few quests and stopped to catch a single fish out of a few spots, which got Noct up to Fish Lv4 I think. My main problem isn't the actual reeling in minigame, which is fine, but getting the dang things to bite in the first place seems super tedious. And there's lots of fish in lots of spots that aren't listed on signs so you're just wildly guessing which lure might work best. Did you use a guide to know what was where or anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balder the brave View Post
There is a whole category of items in this game that have little purpose other than selling for money. You can use them to craft spells, but honestly I didn't find this worthwhile. I wonder if they were intended for some other crafting system that was cut from the game.
At this point I basically never craft a spell without combining in something that both nearly ensures it goes off 2-4 times per cast *and* gives me an extra cast, plus boosting the power. It can be pretty damn effective targeted at a weakness. The friendly fire is annoying, but can usually be shrugged off for the most part (or you can use Regroup to get folks out of the way).
Old 01-05-2017, 11:24 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
This is the one thing I haven't done much of. I've done the first few quests and stopped to catch a single fish out of a few spots, which got Noct up to Fish Lv4 I think. My main problem isn't the actual reeling in minigame, which is fine, but getting the dang things to bite in the first place seems super tedious. And there's lots of fish in lots of spots that aren't listed on signs so you're just wildly guessing which lure might work best. Did you use a guide to know what was where or anything?
I haven't tried one yet, but I probably should. Think I've got about two dozen different lures. Would be nice if there was an in-game list of which places specific fish can be caught at.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:41 AM
Bald Gendou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I can zoom the camera out on XIV to birds-eye, but I couldn't here.
You can zoom Noctis out to bird's eye view. Sometimes. Kind of.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:17 PM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
I haven't tried one yet, but I probably should. Think I've got about two dozen different lures. Would be nice if there was an in-game list of which places specific fish can be caught at.
If there are fish attracted to your current lure they will be yellow on the fish finder, but you have to cycle through your lures if you don't know what's in the lake.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Little Waves

As far as I've seen, the dots just indicate different kinds of fish, and they don't change color based on your lure.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Sometimes there is a sign next to the fishing location you can press X to read. It will list some of the fish present in that area during the daytime.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:03 PM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
As far as I've seen, the dots just indicate different kinds of fish, and they don't change color based on your lure.
I'm 100% certain they changed color based on my lure when I was playing the other day, unless the entire lake is repopulated every time you go into the equip menu. There were no yellow dots, I changed the lure, and then there were some yellow dots.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Little Waves

New dots can show up on the fly, yeah.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:06 PM

Yellow dots don't mean those are the only fish you can catch with your lure (caught several blue dots with lures), but it does seem to imply a high success rate with that fish. I have to tease yellow dots significantly less in order to attract them to pay attention and bite.

Also ya, sign posts tell you the fish varieties and the lure descriptions in the menu will tell you which types of fish each lure is ideal for.

New dots do show up, but usually after you exhaust all the dots currently present and then refresh the stream. Also probably during the change of the day cycle but I'm not totally positive on that one.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:06 PM
An Animal of Joy

Okay, game's just playing tricks on me!
Old 01-06-2017, 02:09 PM

Also, I've noticed lures sit on the ground surrounding fishing spots, and anecdotal evidence, to me, implies those lures are usually perfect for the kinds of fishes at that spot. So remember the kinds you pick up and use those while fishing.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:26 PM
Not a Beer

Fish definitely spontaneously spawn into (and disappear from) the water at certain times of day, I've seen them do it.

I had thought at one point the game said the yellow dots got you edible drops while the blue ones gave items, but maybe I hallucinated that.

The signs tell you *some* of the fish nearby, but there's almost always others. And several spots just plain don't have signs.

I dunno. I kinda want more guidance but I don't really want to pull out a guide just to fish.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:31 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

yeah, the game tells you when you first try fishing that yellow dots on the radar are edible fish that Ignis can cook, and blue dots are for fish that give treasures.

as for "I don't understand how the Armiger works," I...don't understand what's so difficult? When you go into Armiger mode all of your attacks are enhanced for a time period, or you can do an Armiger Chain with your bros and do one BIG attack. It's not very complicated!
Old 01-06-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I had thought at one point the game said the yellow dots got you edible drops while the blue ones gave items, but maybe I hallucinated that.
This is true, actually. EDIT: ninja'd

I don't usually have a problem with just going through every lure I have at a given spot and just testing the waters with them. The interface for it just feels a lot smoother than the usual pause, inventory, change shit, back to game even though it's essentially the same. The main problem is of course going back to all the spots as your lure selection gets bigger. It would definitely help for the game to be more informative about the available fish.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
yeah, the game tells you when you first try fishing that yellow dots on the radar are edible fish that Ignis can cook, and blue dots are for fish that give treasures.

as for "I don't understand how the Armiger works," I...don't understand what's so difficult? When you go into Armiger mode all of your attacks are enhanced for a time period, or you can do an Armiger Chain with your bros and do one BIG attack. It's not very complicated!
I completely forgot about the armiger chain. The pimped out regular attacks make short work of anything anyway.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
??? I feel like you missed the entire point of that section. If you actually watch Ignis during that section, he hobbles around aimlessly, takes long and labored single swings at enemies that usually results in him falling over. The game isn't trying to trick you into thinking everything is OK. It's saying the exact opposite. Everyone's dialog the entire time is characters freaking out nonstop about Ignis: Repeatedly asking him if he's ok, suggesting he take it easy, suggesting he sit this one out, and a constant stream of beratements towards Noctis if he so much as steps outside of a five foot radius of Ignis for leaving him behind and thus without defense. Nobody wants Ignis to be there except Ignis, but nobody is capable of telling their brother he's a burden because they all feel immensely for him.

At the end of the chapter, Ignis stops face-planting every other step and can keep up with the rest of the party, but his abilities in battle are completely gimped until the time skip. He's still useless as a hand-to-hand fighter, he still wonders about during fights aimlessly, and pretty much exists to take single swings at enemies. He's only really useful for his techniques, if you equip magic on him, and as a damage sponge. After the time-skip it feels like he regains most of his battle efficacy, but it's a slightly more believable that in ten years he developed some Zatoichi-instincts.
All I did during that part was get too far ahead and have Gladio yelling at me over it. By the end of the dungeon Gladio and Noctis patched things up--I think by having some words, maybe an optional dialogue--and that's what I got out of it. It sounds like it's better executed if you stay 95% behind with Ignis, but I reserve the right to call BS on how acclimated he seems afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Camping at certain sites triggers special bonding quests with your boys, unique to the location. There are a fair amount of them.
Do these go away after various plot flags on Lucis, or can you do them even in the post-game?
Old 01-06-2017, 05:47 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oathbreaker View Post
It would definitely help for the game to be more informative about the available fish.
One of the things I hope the future patches will do is expand the Archives section. As is, it's just photos and filters for Prompto's camera, food Ignis knows how to cook, and the biggest of each fish Noctis has caught, listing only the location/lure/time of day for that specific biggest fish.

They can do better. Add profiles for the main characters and named NPCs (Yes the car too), lore for the various places you visit, a list of fishing locations with info on what has been caught and what still could be caught at them, and maybe some buyable fishing guides with the lowdown on fishing hole residents to help even more with that.

And for the love of Bahamut, put a bestiary in the game! I'd love to learn more about the monsters I slaughter, maybe view them in some sort of model viewer.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:27 PM
actually an eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post

How do you get the game to give you the damn R1 L1 (or is it R2 L2) prompt? It seems like it just flashes up randomly once the circle is full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas
I'd love to learn more about the monsters I slaughter, maybe view them in some sort of model viewer.
This has actually been one of the things I like about Totomostro, since Active mode doesn't really give you much chance to appreciate enemy designs
Old 01-06-2017, 07:11 PM

Come to a complete stop and you should see the prompts for Armiger Mode and Chain. As long as you see the pop up you shouldn't have any trouble activating it.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:34 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
They can do better. Add profiles for the main characters and named NPCs (Yes the car too), lore for the various places you visit, a list of fishing locations with info on what has been caught and what still could be caught at them, and maybe some buyable fishing guides with the lowdown on fishing hole residents to help even more with that.

And for the love of Bahamut, put a bestiary in the game! I'd love to learn more about the monsters I slaughter, maybe view them in some sort of model viewer.
This this this yes plz.

Meanwhile using the drop%+ food again got me the Griffon part I needed for a quest, but I still haven't managed the damn Sturdy Helixhorn for the sword upgrade. From what I hear the most straightforward way is to take the quest in old Lestallum and to head-target on the Dualhorns, yeah? Maybe with Hardedge for the extra break chance, and the food? Still not dropping for me. Bah.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:34 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
This this this yes plz.

Meanwhile using the drop%+ food again got me the Griffon part I needed for a quest, but I still haven't managed the damn Sturdy Helixhorn for the sword upgrade. From what I hear the most straightforward way is to take the quest in old Lestallum and to head-target on the Dualhorns, yeah? Maybe with Hardedge for the extra break chance, and the food? Still not dropping for me. Bah.
There is a papa and chick meal you can learn that ups the drop rate all the way to 100%, in case you were just using the mother and child one. Wander around near the parking spot in Lestallum and you should see someone eating it.

Tags
all day , boy band , bro trip , chocobros , cool rock , final fantasy , final fantasy xv , food porn , frog fractions 2 , garula , i want to ride my chocobo , magitek killbot squad , road trip , sausagefest