The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-14-2018, 11:12 PM
Accidental AvatarOverlord

Default Pokémon: Switching it up for Generation 8

All purpose news / speculation / wishful hoping thread for Gen 8.

Let’s start with some magazine shots from Twitter.

I’m hoping someone fluent in Spanish can help translate, but Google gives me this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Translate
After a lifetime associated with portable consoles, the canonical side of Pokemon will jump to desktop with its eighth generation. Game Freak and The Pokemon Company are rethinking the saga to surprise with new mechanics, either in 2018 or later.
Well then. I’m not familiar with the magazine, and don’t recall anything from Nintendo yet, so set phasers to....”Cautiously Optimistic” I guess?
Old 04-15-2018, 06:38 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

bring back custap berry you cowards
Old 04-15-2018, 07:00 AM
King Of Space-Time

Hoping this is a BotW or Odyssey level rethink.

Still gotta be careful. Japan loves their gaming traditions. Remember the fuss when there was talk of DQ being more action based?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:25 AM
Space Prez

It's nothing new, really. Game Freak has said the next installment would be for Switch, and "2018 or beyond" just means it will come out sometime between now and the end of time.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:46 AM
ドラクは死にました

Sun/Moon was a revelation for me in terms of refining the legacy elements of the Pokemon series. In my eyes it was the perfect version of what the original Game Freak team wanted for R/G/B. (Well...almost perfect. The online UI for SuMo was not great.)

In a way I feel similarly to what Link Between Worlds did for the Zelda series, in how it felt much like a stepping stone between a game style that'd become legacy and something entirely new.

Maybe we'll see something similar for Gen 8.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:10 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

I don't know. The video game punditry has been predicting a "reboot" for a couple generations now, and it's never materialized. While it's possible that the success of Sun and Moon, as well as Breath of the Wild and Odyssey, will embolden GameFreak to experiment more, I'm extremely skeptical that it will be comparable to them. GameFreak is even more cautious than Nintendo proper, and has an unfortunate tendency to walk back many features and additions.

I'll just be happy if they stop aggressively railroading the player, and add a degree of non-linearity in which gym (or trial) to challenge first.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:52 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

One of Pokémon's strongest tools is its backwards-compatibility. They broke it ONCE and it was a clusterfuck that took literal years to fix in a way that audiences found acceptable. Since then, Pokémon has been the gold-standard for futureproofing, and Game Freak by now has invested a lot of time and money into ensuring things stay that way (Pokémon Bank, for example). They clearly have no interest in implementing the kind of mechanical changes made between Gen II and III; much less the sweeping, dramatic retooling that critics call for every time a flash-in-the-pan franchise manages to borrow a fraction of Pokémon's audience during the series' brief refractory periods.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:17 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
...much less the sweeping, dramatic retooling that critics call for every time a flash-in-the-pan franchise manages to borrow a fraction of Pokémon's audience during the series' brief refractory periods.
Not that I think they will be changing mechanics too much, but you may be underselling just how badly Yo-Kai Watch had eaten Game Freak's lunch. While that franchise has certainly cooled by this point (and was a non-starter outside Japan) it was a lesson that they need to stay competitive. If anything, Pokemon's biggest competitor in 2018 is Pokemon Go.

Tags
pokemon , pokey man