The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-15-2017, 09:20 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Not a horror movie, per se, but full of horrific scenes, Zodiac is a truly unnerving crime procedural epic that's about obsession, as well as the extremely profound frustration of not knowing. The end scene really puts the perfect button on it, as the characters are sure so many times about the answer, up until the moment they aren't. I mean, that one guy almost certainly seems to be the killer... right? The murder scenes are completely unsettling and are styled in truly disturbing horror thriller style, particularly the "tire-changing" scene, which is one of the tensest I've been in a long time while watching a movie. Most of the movie is a great procedural drama where you kind of relate to everyone else being pestered by "our hero" who means well but also might need to get some perspective. But when it goes for the throat, it never lets up until the scene is over.

Oh, and John Caroll Lynch is in it. When he is in a movie that means he's playing one of two things: the nicest guy in the world or the creepiest guy in the world. Guess what he is in this one.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:22 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

While editing photos last night, I put on Ghoulies 2.

It's a combination of Charles Band SFX, a carnival setting, a Gremlins-type mixture of comedy and horror, a save-the-orphanage plot, that 80s business man who is the villain of every family movie of the era, and Royal Dano.

You might think of Ghoulies as "one of the various Gremlins ripoffs," but the first film (apparently, I actually haven't seen it yet) was actually just marketed that way, and was pretty different in practice. This movie is definitely a Gremlins ripoff. Notably, it also includes a scene referencing the poster for the first film - which was another bit of marketing misdirection.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:09 PM
This Guy

Speaking of not quite horror movies, I watched Bone Tomahawk. This was billed as a horror-western, but this is less scary and more just gross. Hoooo. That was several levels past my normal gore tolerance. My Dad came in late and summed up the first half of the plot as "man not happy that other men took his wife out for dinner."
Old 10-16-2017, 06:57 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
My Dad came in late and summed up the first half of the plot as "man not happy that other men took his wife out for dinner."
Rascally Dadger sounds pretty cool.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:45 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I've never played any of the games, but now I've seen the movie and, well, if Silent Hill has any lessons to teach us, it's that you should not try to burn a child to death even if you're really sure she's a witch.

Best case, you're wrong and wind up looking like a real jerk.

Worst case, you're right, but she doesn't die and uses her evil powers to curse the whole town to literally become Hell every few hours.

She doesn't make it so any of the townspeople realize this, however. It just makes things DEEPLY WEIRD for outsiders and pretty much wrecked the towns tourism trade and it makes the cultists decide to start praying/sacrificing people whenever a monster shows up, up until the adopted mother of the Good Part of the witches soul shows up and mentions they're all dead an in hell, and so the witch turns into a hospital bed full of barbed wires and double-murders the town.

At another point, Pyramid Head shows up and rips off a lady's entire skin and throws it at some cultists.

Also theres a subplot about the father trying to find the rest of his family with the non-existent help of a weird police officer who periodically tries to arrest him for no clear reason. None of this goes anywhere.

Needless to say I found the plot kind of confusing, but the movie was less about telling a compelling story and more about being super gross and weird in an effort to really drive home the fact that this town and everything in it sucks, and you should not visit, regardless of whether or not your kids draw pictures of it.

I rate it As Fun As A Hospital Bed Full of Barbed Wire
Old 10-16-2017, 10:18 PM
Senhor Member

I saw this in theaters and remember thinking it "looked real cool." In particular, this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
At another point, Pyramid Head shows up and rips off a lady's entire skin and throws it at some cultists.
looked real cool. Don't know why that stuck with me!

A quick mind-rating based off of just now thinking about this: 2.5/3.5. Sure.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:03 AM
Outraged!

I enjoyed the bit early on where she finds a key on a corpse in the school bathroom.

My wife and I both exclaimed “You found the blue key”. Or red, whatever. Fun times all around.

Ending was a bit confusing. I get that the mom and daughter never really came back from the hell version of silent hill, even though they ostensibly drove home. Is she in a hell version of her hometown and are there other people there? Can she go to the hell version of her local Costco to buy paper towels?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:27 AM
Mystery Contraption

I think they're supposed to have been dead all along, and living people see Silent Hill as a ghost town instead of as a Ghost Town. That's why when they went home everything was ghostly and The Dad was alone in the house when they arrived.

When and how they died, I'unno. Gas leak in the car?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Funko Superfan

I never got the impression they were dead, but that they were trapped in Silent Hill The Dimension as opposed to Silent Hill The Town, hence the fog. They could check out any time they liked, but they could never leave. Really I got the impression that some hack producer wanted a twist ending and this was the best they could come up with.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

Hack producer seems even more plausible explanation, yes.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 AM
Funko Superfan

Hack Producer is the reason why that dad subplot exists. Silent Hill 1 stars Harry Mason, devoted dad. But someone up the chain felt like audiences wouldn't believe that a dad would be so dedicated to finding his daughter, so they changed the character into a mom, and shunted Harry off to this aimless B-story where he tries to Solve The Mystery.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:16 AM

Whatever feelings you may have on the first film, stay far, far away from the terrible sequel. A movie in which you can actually get the sense on screen that Kit Harrington and Sean Bean just came back from chain smoking between takes, praying that GoT would get renewed.

EDIT - the first film sucks too though.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Mystery Contraption

Whuff...

Okay...

Oh....kay...

Freddys Dead: The Final Nightmare

What to say about this movie.

What... kind thing can I say about this movie...

*C'mon, Octo, think.... there's got to be at least one thing you liked.*

I guess... the part where Freddy killed the deaf kid was pretty okay. Got a bit of a chuckle out of me.

Everything else though; geez... this stupid movie was almost unwatchable.

Plotwise, the movie is a weird-ass mess. It takes place in the far-flung future of the year 2000 (nothing in the film indicates it is later than 1991) and, apparently Freddys been incredibly busy since the end of the last movie and he's successfully murdered every single person under the age of 18 in Springwood.

You know how he normally can only killed people indirectly related to his own murder? Well, the scriptwriters didn't. Or else they didn't care.

One amnesiac kid managed to escape the town before Freddy up and murd'd him and he winds up at a half-way house for Troubled Youths, alongside Idiot Boy (likes video games Later, the script forgot about this aspect of his character and decided he's a stoner instead, and vice-versa), Angry Girl (turns to karate in response to being molested by her father) and Deaf Kid (mother poked his ear?). There, the local psychiatrist lady (Maggie) figures it would help him get over his amnesia and terror at the name of Springwood if he was knocked out and driven there in her van. The other kids tag along too because why not.

Everyone in Springwood is crazier than a bedbug (there's a cameo by Rosanne Barr and husband, credited as "Mr and Mrs. Tom Arnold" in the credits) and the kids decide like the stupidest horror movie protagonists in the world to break into Freddy Kruegers old house and spend the night. Completely out of friggin' nowhere this decision comes. So Freddy kills all the boys (in sequences that are "kind of clever" "inexpressibly stupid" and "boring" respectively) and then Freddy possesses Maggie, to no ill effects on her, and is thus able to leave Springwood when she does.

She doesn't get into trouble for accidentally kidnapping four children and letting three of them die because Freddy can apparently erase people from history when he kills them now. Luckily, this doesn't affect her or Angry Girls memories, nor those of the head psychiatrist because he taught himself how to Dream Good.

Then, in a terrible rehash of the climax of the first movie, Maggie learns she can drag Freddy into the real world if she wakes up while touching him, so she does that and brings Freddie into the real world in order to murder the hell out of him with the weapons in the youth-hostels secret armory (?!?!?!). During that sequence we also see Freddys origin (kids made fun of him because his mother was raped by One Hundred Maniacs, and his adopted dad was abusive, later, as he was in the middle of being burned to death, some Bad Special Effect Skulls show up and offer to make him immortal in exchange for being a Nightmare Ghost), and that, at some point, Freddy got married and had a kid and that kid was Maggie.

So he and Maggie fight in the basement and she beats the ever-loving garbage out of him and blows him up with dynamite and Badly Green Screened Skulls fly out of him to show that, as the title stated, Freddys Dead.

And I just sat there, alternating between scowling at the TV for daring to air such a bad movie, and playing Etrian Odyssey.

Besides the just galling disregard to the canon already established by the franchise (far worse than Freddys Revenge), the visuals were just shamefully bad. Even the Invisible Kruger scene from 4 looked better than any of the effects in this movie; Krueger himself was even more cartoony than he was in the last few films but was just phoning everything in and every inch of the script was a complete mess.

I can not imagine how this was considered to be an acceptable end-cap to the series.

I rate is a 0/-1 This Movies Very Dumb
Old 10-17-2017, 01:13 PM
クソゲーが好な人

I had a good bit fun from this movie, but I definitely agree it's the worst of the lot. I at least got some good catharsis from the beatdown at the end of the film.

When they stupidly go into Nancy's house, I got to wondering how many times they rebuilt that set, and how all the versions differed from each other.

Also Freddy's dad is played by Alice Cooper.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:15 PM
Mystery Contraption

Freddys foster-dad

His biological dad is an impossible to determine one of 100 possible maniacs.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:26 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Oh right.

But you have to admit, it wouldn't be a long-shot for this movie to reference an established mythos and then fully ignore it a moment later.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:26 PM

I never got the part where Freddy suddenly powers up when going into springwood again, has all these special fx drawn over him, and then comes out looking....exactly the same? like what was that?

that goo goo dolls song at the start is pretty tight doe
Old 10-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Senhor Member

I’ve always been mad about Freddy’s mission creep in this one.

Hmm. I like that the protagonist has to wear dumbass 3D glasses at some point.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Mystery Contraption

Yes, while in Freddy’s Memories she wore 3D glasses to see through his illusions. There are no illusions whatsoever, nor any attempt to disguise things.

This movie is awful.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:21 PM

the power glove is still an enjoyable sequence. as is the johnny depp cameo before it~
Old 10-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Family Man

Octo, you should check out Laser Time's limited podcast series, An Elm Street Nightmare. I've been enjoying them, and I've never seen any of these awful movies!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:04 PM
Mystery Contraption

Listening to Laser Times limited podcast An Elm Street Nightmare is exactly what convinced me to buy the Blu-Ray collection and watch all these movies!

Chris liked 4 waaaay more than I did, but otherwise we seem to sync up pretty nicely in opinions.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:32 PM

Jennifer's Body

Hey, it turns out every criticism people have had about Diablo Cody's writing is true. I remember liking Juno way-back when (though I dread ever watching it again), this movie is sort of a mish-mash of potentially good ideas that result in a mediocre movie if it wasn't for the fact that Cody's attempt at clever dialogue, which never ends because most of the characters in this world are drowning in sarcasm and irony. That makes things SO much worse.

It's clear the goal is to make a sort of "Heathers"-type movie (I really should see Heathers some time, so many people want to be it) and I feel Diablo is sometimes going for the same kind of weird dialogue choices I'm used to in 80's movies. I notice this in comedies and dumb action movies of the era where there's occasionally a line a dialogue where either someone was trying to make a line that people would remember and make a phrase everyone uses or the writer thought he was being clever but was instead just confounding. Anyway, it doesn't work.

But throughout I felt like there was the potential for the movie to be better than it was with some tweaking of the script. It's sort of like when you hear about first drafts of movies that have bad ideas. I don't know if there's anything particularly bad (again, apart from some painful dialogue and "I Kissed a Girl"-type "sexiness"), but a lot of it could have actually worked if the script was altered in certain places.

I mean, it would have been more interesting if there was a more noticeable change in the title character after becoming evil. Then again, maybe I just want this movie to be Ginger Snaps.

I will say, Karyn Kusama, the director, would go onto better things, because I really liked The Invitation. And the direction isn't bad here, either, it's just hamstrung by the script and its characters.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:25 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
There are plenty of MST3K movies that are perfectly watchable (if less fun) without the riffing. I strongly suspect that Manos: The Hands of Fate is not one of them.
I submit that Manos: The Hands of Fate isn't watchable even WITH the riffing.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:14 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Man, that's not even the worst movie. Monster-a-Go-Go or Castle of Fu Manchu are just worse films and the Starfighters has even more nothing happening during its run time.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:39 AM

Oh, and the "humour" in Attack of the the Eye Creatures is pretty friggin' unbearable, too, even with the riffing (which is mostly about how painful the jokes are).
Old 10-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Better be the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I submit that Manos: The Hands of Fate isn't watchable even WITH the riffing.
And that's with it trimmed down for TV. Rifftrax had to deal with the whole uncut movie.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:39 AM
Mystery Contraption

Th-there’s more?!?!
Old 10-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Better be the real thing.

Well, more endless driving scenes. Probably more of the nightgown fight, but my memory's fuzzy.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:41 AM
Mystery Contraption

The mind boggles...

Tags
boo! , crypt currency , haints and gerblins , halloween , octo-good , spoop your pants off , super booglies n gerblins